• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could a "Metroid Souls" work?

heringer

And would you like one?

From Software was listed as a developer for Switch, but most people assume they are probably working on Dark Souls collection or a DS3 port, which was actually rumored.

However, what if Nintendo gave them reigns over the Metroid franchise? Would that be possible, and what Metroid staples do you think could fit well in the Souls formula?

Would you rather have that or Metroid Prime 4 by Retro?

Strings

Oh, I was going to reply just 'Hollow Knight' until I realized you literally meant Metroid.

Sure I guess? Just give me something that isn't Federation Force or Other M.

Jesus, GAF. Not every game has to be turned into a Souls game.

The only thing I think Metroid would benefit from the Souls blueprint it's its attention to detail and atmosphere but it shouldn't play as one.

One franchise I do think would benefit from turning into a Souls game is Castlevania. Just look st Bloodborne and tell me you don't see it.

StarPhlox

Yes that would be 100% a great idea if it were to happen. Metroid is known for big bosses and large interconnected areas and after NioH it's clear that you don't need a character creator for a Soulslike to work.

MilkBeard

I think Super Metroid already demonstrated the interconnectivity of maps (hence the "Metroidvania" label), so it is definitely a good fit, especially with the way save chambers work. The question is: how does Nintendo want to approach a new Metroid? I would love if they could somehow revert back to the tight level design from Super Metroid (Prime was the best representation in 3d, really, but perhaps with less bloat this time around).

I'm not sure if I would want Fromsoft to make it, though.

heringer

The only thing I think Metroid would benefit from the Souls blueprint it's its attention to detail and atmosphere but it shouldn't play as one.

One franchise I do think would benefit from turning into a Souls game is Castlevania. Just look st Bloodborne and tell me you don't see it.

Bloodborne is already pretty much Castlevania 3D.

Nope. You want to turn Metroid into a watered down clone of itself. Congratulations, you missed the point entirely.

I think you are probably the one missing the point here.

Neff

If it still had the same variety of fun (and unlockable) traversal skills, high standard of environmental puzzles, and genius backtracking, then sure, everything else is there on the table already.

I was tossing the idea about a Dark Souls: Prepare to Die port the other day and wondering what the ceiling people would pay for that...

Could Switch even handle DS3?

I like you idea. A Nintendo Souls style game, but I want a quirky new IP like ARMS instead of shoehorned pre-existing IPs. Samus guns too much and I'm not sure how well that would play out. Fox might be fine if they're willing to drop a Star Fox Adventure sequel (they're not.)

Maybe I'd be fine with Fire Emblem Souls, Xenoblade Souls, or Golden Sun Souls.

Hindl

Dark Souls already is Castlevania. The entire Dark Souls franchise basically a Metroidvania in 3D in terms of world design and atmosphere. The whole focus on backtracking, intricately designed levels that fold back on themselves, and generally oppressive atmosphere where you're the only human against the harsh world remind me a lot of Metroid and Castlevania

nynt9

ctrl + f "ghost song"

you fail me gaf

giphy.gif

CavernousGlumGnu.gif

battle-s.gif

junkpit.gif

It's made by a fellow gaffer too

Opa-Pa

Well in theory yeah, I'd say Demon's Souls and especially Dark Souls share some of their design philosophy with Metroid, and traversing the vast world in DaS felt like a modern take on the formula at times... But I don't know if I'd want FROM specifically to work on it, mostly because I'd want 60 FPS and snappy controls to smooth exploration. It'd be great if a new Metroid game took inspiration in Dark Souls though.

Still, one made by FROM would probably be excellent, all things considered.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
OP, it's not that simple since Metroid and Souls rely heavily on two completely different focus with regards to their gameplay. Metroid has always been about exploration and immersion while Souls has always been about its combat and rising above impossible odds. It would not be easy just to make a "Metroid with Souls-like combat" as that completely break the flow of the game and would overall discourage the exploration the Metroid series is known for and would overall just not be very fun and be more tedious than anything.

Yes, and yes.

The world and level design of the Souls games tells me that From would be a near-perfect fit for the Metroid license.

On the gameplay side of things, it'd have to play quite a bit differently from Dark Souls but From is a super-talented studio, and I have no doubt that they could pull it off.

OP, it's not that simple since Metroid and Souls rely heavily on two completely different focus with regards to their gameplay. Metroid has always been about exploration and immersion while Souls has always been about its combat and rising above impossible odds. It would not be easy just to make a "Metroid with Souls-like combat" as that completely break the flow of the game and would overall discourage the exploration the Metroid series is known for and would overall just not be very fun and be more tedious than anything.
I'm not sure I agree with this. I think exploration is a huge part of the Souls games and plays a large role in how you can overcome those odds.

DNAbro

I thought this was going to be about Dead Cells, a Souls like Metroidvania. If you want a game in that style, it exists.

heringer

Oh, I completely agree, it wouldn't be simple.

In terms of atmosphere, attention to detail and storytelling I think it's a match made in heaven, but in the gameplay side of things, it gets complicated.

KaneU

I would love a From Software developed Metroid game. That would also mean that Retro would be free to work on a new IP (hopefully...).

Metroid is enough like Souls as is, I don't think they'd have to change a lot of their philosophy when it comes to world design. They wouldn't be a bad fit. I could do without their usual death mechanic though.

Effect

Not sure why it needs to be a "Souls styled" game. I would ask does such a designed desire offer a better experience then the Metroid Prime games in term of movement and action and exploration? Is going "souls" going to offer boss encounters that are better then what is in Prime 1, 2, and 3? Even if you go third person with it you still are going to need a world design similar to the Prime games to properly replicate the world design that is very vertical. The gameplay can't be slow either.

It could be argued that Metroid is already "souls-like" in a number of areas (isolation, everything out to kill you, exploration, interconnected world design with short cuts, large boss fights that have to be figured out, etc). It just doesn't have the mechanic where you leave experience at your place of death or a similar upgrading system and doesn't have enemies that do over the top damage.

E-phonk

Banned
They have a few things in common, but gameplay surely isn't one of them, so don't know how that would work.

But the story telling through world building and opening new paths into levels by exploration is something both the souls games and the prime games have in common.
Prime relies a bit more on it's new abilities though, although that could be a fresh change for a soulslike. I wouldn't be against it, and would prefer it over a first person action adventure game. Never finished prime 3 because I got tired of the formula.

But the "die and repeat" gameplay that's one of the fundamentals of the souls games wouldn't work well with Metroid imo.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
that is basically super metroid with you die you do the same thing again for 2 hours.
doesn't sound like fun in my eyes,
Just delete your savegame if you die in super metroid and start over.
It's called a speedrun.

So is the "Souls" genre (which is not a genre) well on it's way to usurping "Metroidvania" (also not a genre) as the go-to framework for people who aren't actually good at designing games?

mingo

I would despise a "Metroid Souls" game. I'm not getting why these 2 are always being put into the same sentence. Metroid should be metroid, and souls should be souls.

heringer

So is the "Souls" genre (which is not a genre) well on it's way to usurping "Metroidvania" (also not a genre) as the go-to game design framework for people who aren't actually good at designing games?

You think someone who isn't good at designing games could successfully do a Souls like game? Well, ok then.

Part of the reason I love Prime is due to the environment scanning and log books. That type of world building is like the polar opposite of Souls' cryptic item descriptions.

heringer

Part of the reason I love Prime is due to the environment scanning and log books. That type of world building is like the polar opposite of Souls' cryptic item descriptions.

I don't think they are polar opposite. Just turn the cryptic into something more intelligible and you have world building/storytelling philosophies that are actually quite similar.

knitoe

Nope. Play style wouldn't match. Souls is mainly dodging and getting into melee combat. Range attacks made their games easy so Fromsoft has been nerfing with every next installments. With Metriod, you use unique guns to shoot from range.

And would you like one?

From Software was listed as a developer for Switch, but most people assume they are probably working on Dark Souls collection or a DS3 port, which was actually rumored.

However, what if Nintendo gave them reigns over the Metroid franchise? Would that be possible, and what Metroid staples do you think could fit well in the Souls formula?

Would you rather have that or Metroid Prime 4 by Retro?

this just blew my mind, now if it doesn't happen I'll be ruined hahaha.

You think someone who isn't good at designing games could successfully do a Souls like game? Well, ok then.

What? No, that was my point. It's lazy, and the end result usually isn't that good. On topic, Nintendo and From Software are obviously both very good at designing games, and because of how their creative process works a project like this will never exist.

Top Bottom