• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Truly Weird Stuff Showing Up in Steam Database (Halo, KOF13, other unlikely stuff)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Other weird stuff.

Civ V - Frankenstein
DayZ
Ikari Warriors
TERA (was on Steam then removed)
The Banner Saga: Factions (Kickstarter game)
[CONSOLE] Half-Life 2 Multiplayer
Dota 2 DLC Range
Age of Conan
Anarchy Online
Seven Souls Online
Crysis 2 GOTY
Skullgirls
Runescape
Saints Row IV (wat)
World of Tanks

Some of these seem pretty logical; stuff that's removed from Steam maintains its registry entries, for re-download purposes and so stuff like the box art in the client is kept behind the scenes after the thing is removed.

We know Skullgirls is getting a PC port.

Other weird stuff.

Civ V - Frankenstein
DayZ
Ikari Warriors
Dota 2 DLC Range
Age of Conan
Anarchy Online
Seven Souls Online
Crysis 2 GOTY
Skullgirls
Runescape
Saints Row IV (wat)
World of Tanks

DayZ standalone will be using Steamworks (it was confirmed), TERA is still on Steam, but it only released in Europe, Age of Conan was on Steam, but pulled when Funcom went F2P (I'm guessing with the success of Secret World on Steam, they'll bring it back), and Skullgirls was announced as a Steamworks title last year.

Kinyou

Other weird stuff.

Civ V - Frankenstein
DayZ
Ikari Warriors
Dota 2 DLC Range
Age of Conan
Anarchy Online
Seven Souls Online (game shut down in December)
Crysis 2 GOTY
Skullgirls
Runescape
Saints Row IV (wat)
World of Tanks
This has to be some kind of hack.

I mean.... come on guys... Saints Row 4?

Or is this similar to securing a domain name?

Omega

Banned
Everything else in that list pales in comparison to this news of Halo 3 on PC.

EVERYTHING

which is sad. the game is 6 years old.

I have no idea why Microsoft hates PC. That's another way for them to make money and in their "console wars" war, it still benefits them. On any other forum games like Witcher 2 are considered exclusive for some reason.

micster

Other weird stuff.
Saints Row IV (wat)

I reckon Steam is used like PartnerNet on 360, where development builds can be spread using the network, maybe just Steamworks titles? Would explain SR4 and Homefront 2 being on the system, as we know they're in development.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Let me just add a little color commentary on this:
- Tons of stuff has been leaked through the Steam database before
- Typically when a company doesn't want stuff to leak, because it's pre-mature, they label their game as ValveTestApp, so it can't be identified
- For some reason, all these ValveTestApp games have Steam Community hubs, where they are NOT labeled ValveTestApp, but instead have actual names.

I reckon Steam is used like PartnerNet on 360, where development builds can be spread using the network, maybe just Steamworks titles? Would explain SR4 and Homefront 2 being on the system, as we know they're in development.

and it'd be logical for their entries to be updated or re-submitted in light of the publisher being transferred after the THQ stuff...

epmode

I have no idea why Microsoft hates PC. That's another way for them to make money and in their "console wars" war, it still benefits them.

I have a feeling that we're going to see at least a token amount of PC ports for their next-gen games. Windows 8 exclusive, of course.

DTKT

I wonder why they even let us see the entries. They could be all named "TestApp 42314" and it would effectively prevent anyone from leaking stuff.

I bet someone at Valve is just putting up random entries because he's tired of people looking stuff up.

Stitch

Gold Member
Remember when Final Fantasy 7 showed up in the Database? Yeah, that was great, wasn't it..?

;_;

It is used the same way. If you look Beta section of the Properties option of Steam, you'll see entries for Development builds on games on Steam.

Omega

Banned
I have a feeling that we're going to see at least a token amount of PC ports for their next-gen games. Windows 8 exclusive, of course.

Surely they wouldn't be that stupid again? Making Shadowrun and Halo 2 vista exclusive was one of the biggest mistakes ever. Even with Halo 2 being a 3 year port, it would have sold more

iavi

Omfg. So many on that list are insta-buys. Give me all the KOF. All of it. Give me Fez. Give me all the Halo. Holy shit.

All I need is for Gears 123 to show up and I'll officially lose all my shit.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Remember when Final Fantasy 7 showed up in the Database? Yeah, that was great, wasn't it..?

;_;

I already responded to this one; FF7 showed up when Eidos signed with Steam, it's pretty clear they did intend or try to release it, there were some technical concerns, and since then there are pretty much no other examples of this kind of thing happening. When stuff is added to the registry, it's because people intend to release it. The only difference this time around is the odd disjoint behaviour between the registry and the community hubs, implying it might be a change to community hubs.

Forkball

You don't think Saints Row IV is coming to Steam? o_O

On my end I'm assuming that's a shoe in.

... Am I the only one who had no idea this game existed? I thought the series was on hiatus after THQ. And yes I knew Skullgirls was coming to Steam, but hasn't there been little information about when it's coming?

Wii Tank

I would be really happy if Halo 3 wound up on PC. It was my first and favorite Halo game. I really don't see it happening, although I'll stay hopeful

iirc KOFXIII arcades are pretty much a PC. A "port", if you can even call it that Sofia be incredibly easy. Just a couple of days easy.

duckroll

I already responded to this one; FF7 showed up when Eidos signed with Steam, it's pretty clear they did intend or try to release it, there were some technical concerns, and since then there are pretty much no other examples of this kind of thing happening. When stuff is added to the registry, it's because people intend to release it. The only difference this time around is the odd disjoint behaviour between the registry and the community hubs, implying it might be a change to community hubs.

Another supporting point is that eventually Final Fantasy 7 was indeed re-released on PC, simply on a different distribution platform. So it's a clear sign that there is an intention to have an actual product, even if plans change along the way.

TheOddOne

which is sad. the game is 6 years old.

I have no idea why Microsoft hates PC. That's another way for them to make money and in their "console wars" war, it still benefits them. On any other forum games like Witcher 2 are considered exclusive for some reason.
Blame gamers and the game press for telling them that 360 doesn't have any exclusives. Next generation the same is going to happen.

It's insane that low selling exclusive get praised, because they are exclusive. They could have boosted the sales and companies would have stayed afloat, but no it has to be exclusive. Insane.

Dachande

KOF XIII would be great. I'd double-dip.

The game already runs on Windows, because the arcade hardware is just a revision of Taito Type-X. Isn't there an arcade version with the PS3/360 improvements included? They could tighten that up, add in some menus, netcode and a configuration app and bam, stick it on Steam for £10 or something. They'd be crazy not to. The arcade version of game will get pirated eventually if it hasn't been already and then they've lost out.

We already know Skullgirls is getting a PC release, and Steam is highly likely, so...

Omega

Banned
I thought Fez was already confirmed to come to PC? A few people in this thread seem surprised.

That and Skullgirls puts some legitimacy into this list. while others destroy that legitimacy.

Hopefully there's confirmation on whether its coming or not.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Rise of Nations Gold is also on there. BEST RTS EVER.

And yet no classic Age of Empires. :( Rise of Rome itself even works just fine* on Win7 x64!

* Well, you have to kill explorer.exe to remove the "confetti" which is otherwise peppered throughout the water tiles. But other than that, it's perfect.

Saty

So this is what Microsoft is going to do in the 20th to divert the attention from Sony.

That, or SteamXbox.

BFA

Oh man I would love to get all the KOF games on PC. Been wanting them to be on PC (legitimately) for a decade already!

Halo 3 on pc would be one of the highlight of the year, for me.

I mean, that game in 1080p+, with proper filtering and AA?

Too good to be true.

Exuro

A proper PC port of Halo 3...man that would be too good to be true. Loved playing that back when I used my 360.

Waaghals

Every five years or so MS decides that it is to make some inroads in the PC gaming market.
This is probably one of those times.

Forkball

Ikari Warriors is also an SNK game and it's on the list. Maybe SNK will put their classic titles on the platform. I... I need this.

Top Bottom