• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the best Weird Al song and why is it It's All About the Pentiums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Jackson Park Express now, but I think Mission Statement is my current favorite. Was always a fan of That's Your Horoscope For Today, as well.

OP, Albuquerque is best.
I think I'm a clone now had best AMV. I don't know what the hell that has to do with anything, but I feel it's certainly criteria to judge things from the '80s and '90s on.

Doodis

What's amazing is that he's been pretty consistently great for 30+ years. Sure, there are some duds in his anthology, even whole albums, but he's kept at it and still does great stuff.

One of my first favorite artists when I was just a wee lass in the 80s.

Morat

Banned
While that is a great song OP, nothing beats "Amish Paradise"

"As I walk through the valley where I harvest my grain
I take a look at my wife and realize she's very plain
But that's just perfect for an Amish like me
You know, I shun fancy things like electricity"

Vibranium

Banned
I was just thinking this the other day. Al nailed the whole "PC Master Race" and 90s internet culture (the one that many people online seem intent on bringing back). Seriously, he can rap better than many semi-popular artists, he's mentioned that he wishes this parody was more popular too.

"I never feed trolls, and I don't read spam". Take the master's advice.

Nokterian

Just to post something that hasn't already been posted.

Amazing original: Hardware Store
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t6hagxzSdw

Amazing parody: Word Crimes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc

I love Weird Al because he does so many different styles and genres that there's something for everyone to love. I don't think I've ever met a person that just hates everything he does.

After Hardware Store my favorite is Handy it is a great follow up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXiwYUCe_bY

Nobody can ever replace Al Yankovic he is the king of parody songs.

Got to see him in concert this past year which was awesome. I'd have to put It's All About the Pentiums at the top of my list as well. I also really dig Dare to be Stupid (thanks to my love of Transformers The Movie).

I'm into a lot of underground punk and hardcore and have been going to sweaty, intimate and passionate shows in tiny venues for years. I saw Weird Al last year and he blew everything I've ever seen away. The man is an untouchable talent.

Hardware Store and Pancreas are just good stuff to listen to.
My pancreas attracts every other pancreas in the universe with a force proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the distance between them...

Another little one I've grown much more appreciative of with time is Twister, once I saw how direct a take it was on the original Twister commercial in Beastie style.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Your Horoscope For Today is I think my favourite original song. It's the peak in non sequitur, rapid fire humour.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Well great, now I'll be listening to Weird Al for days and days again just like 10ish years ago.

The correct answer is probably "all the polka medleys" tho.

kunonabi

I think you know a song is good when 10 years later, you accidentally sing his lyrics instead of the lyrics to the original song.

As far as I'm concerned Amish Paradise and Smells Like Nirvana have completely supplanted the originals.

No joke, I probably think about "It's All About the Pentiums" at least once a day. The only other Weird Al song that comes close is "The Saga Begins."

Mathieran

Banned
Weird Al has been one of my favorites my whole life.

All About the Pentiums is definitely one of my faves. Also Jurassic Park like someone mentioned earlier.

But I really like his break up songs a lot. He has some sick burns. See Since You've Been Gone, One More Minute, and Sick of You. Probably some others that I'm forgetting.

besada

Banned
CNR doesn't get enough love.

Picking a single song from Weird Al would be to hard. I've been listening to him since I was a kid, so longer than the median GAFfer has been alive. In every decade he just keeps dropping great songs that skewer pop and immortalize it at the same time.

I'm also a huge fan of his polka medleys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom