• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I want good ice cream. What are good brands and their flavors?

I need some recommendations.

Is Alden’s a good brand?

I see a Pumpkin Spice, Organic flavor available for $6.29 for 48 ounce

Here’s a selection at a local Mother’s store

wS9yLiFh.jpg

robotrock

Banned
I have been eating a lot of the Hagen Daz Green Tea flavored ice cream and it is fantastic. Need to try out Halo Top's stuff. Hear their candy bar is Snickers ice cream-like and I'm curious about their green tea.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Talenti Sea salt or something like that. It's so good, but mostly comes in smaller cartons.

Sea salt caramel. Damn it's so good.

clav

Haagen-Dazs Vanilla is always good. Other flavors mess with the formula by adding corn syrups + cheap shortcuts to keep prices uniform. Nestle owns the company however, so your buying preferences may change depending on your personal values. No gums or gels used.

Ben and Jerry's stuff tends to be high in sugar with gum additives + gels for easy scooping. Sophisticated flavors use a lot of corn products. Question marks on what is "natural flavor" listed in ingredients.

Otherwise, check out your local ice cream parlors. Can't really recommend ice cream that requires a plane ticket.

You could also look into buying an ice cream machine + make your own ice cream.

I need some recommendations.

Is Alden’s a good brand?

I see a Pumpkin Spice, Organic flavor available for $6.29 for 48 ounce

Alden's is a fantastic brand! I don't think I've ever seen/tried their pumpkin spice though. I always try for the local ones (I live in Washington so stuff like Molly Moon's and Snoqualmie are awesome).

Some good quality dairy. Not vanilla, dairy.

+ Rum N Raisin

Bought a couple of boxes today actually from good old Joe's Ices which I haven't had since I was a nipper.

voOsh

The correct answer is probably something local to you where you can be sure it hasn't been thawed and refrozen.

But if we're limited to big store brands, I prefer Talenti and Haagen-Dazs as others have mentioned.

clearestblue

Neo Member
While I do love Ben & Jerry's, this is my all-time fave (it's store brand so whatever store you have will probably just have their version)

00021130088188_full.jpg

VDenter

Banned
Ben & Jerry's + Hagen Daz are the best brands in terms of store bought Ice Cream. No matter which flavor you chose you will not be disappointed. Sure the prices might be higher than most but the flavor more than makes up for it and you will never want to go back to cheaper/ mediocre brands.

“Americone Dream” From Ben and Jerry’s is amazing. Since it released a few years I’ve yet to ever tire of it. Love the swirl of caramel.

I’m more of a vanilla guy most of the time, but this one is an exception I’ll make.

d00d3n

Ben & Jerry's: Excellent branding, but crappy ice cream.
Häagen-Dazs: The best ice cream, who cares about the generic branding.

Fitts

28729.jpg

This shit right here. No fancy crap. Tastes like what it’s supposed to. $3 (or less on sale) for a standard size carton.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Ben and Jerrys and Haagen dazs are far and away the best brands in terms of easy to find, consistent quality, and interesting flavors.
Always get a kick out of meeting people who don't know Haagen dazs is just a made up phrase created by some dudes from New York. The amount of smug twits I've come across who assume it's some European brand is hilarious.

yunbuns

Talenti is really good tbh. I've tried a couple of their flavors and haven't been disappointed.

Halo-top has this cookie dough ice cream that is good imo.

Fairly sure I see some La-Loo's in that pic there towards the left----so ignore most everything else until you've at least investigated that further. Uniquely Good.

Top Bottom