• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Native Americans "morally disqualified" themselves from keeping their land

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Why would you read anything that openly declares itself Right or Left?

Dabanton

In all the discussions about the European settlement of the New World, one feature has been conspicuously absent: the role that the superstition, savagery and sexual immorality of native Americans played in making them morally disqualified from sovereign control of American soil.

Mmm sounds like modern america.

They rejected Washington’s direct counsel to the Delaware chiefs in 1779, “You do well to wish to learn our arts and ways of life, and above all, the religion of Jesus Christ.”

Thomas Jefferson three times signed legislation appropriating federal tax dollars for the evangelizing of the Native American tribes. It all came to nought, as one tribe after another rejected the offer of spiritual light and advanced civilization.

Missionaries were murdered in cold blood, including Marcus Whitman, who was tomahawked to death in his own house in 1848 by the Cayuse and Umatilla Indians in what became the Oregon Territory.

God explained to the nation of Israel that because of the “abomination(s)” of the indigenous Canaanite tribes, the land had become unclean and “vomited out its inhabitants (Lev. 18:25).”

Is this to say the same holds true for native American tribes today? In many respects, the answer is of course no. But in some senses, the answer is yes. Many of the tribal reservations today remain mired in poverty and alcoholism because many native Americans continue to cling to the darkness of indigenous superstition instead of coming into the light of Christianity and assimilating into Christian culture.

Hoooolllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyy shiiit.

viakado said:
how is this news again?
you might as well be creating new threads on blog articles that pisses you off.
The American Family Association is a pretty big deal. This isn't just some random blog.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
And the Europeans proved superior in battle, taking possession of contested lands through right of conquest. So in all respects, Europeans gained rightful and legal sovereign control of American soil.

That's not really moral superiority...

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Zenith said:
Why post this? It's an unimportant person on an unimportant site. There are millions of them.

He's hardly a nobody. He's a major part of the AFA, and he's the one of the guys who spearheaded that whole "Keep the 10 commandments statue in front of city hall" movement.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Enosh said:
no one claimed it is

he is talking about the moral thingy in the next paragraph
Sure they did. They claimed that the Natives were expelled from their land (via force among other things) because of their moral transgression in god's eyes.

That's like saying because I robbed you and stole your wallet, that god was punishing you for your moral poverty.

GhaleonQ

viakado said:
who? and it might as well be blog site. the whole article felt like an HS essay.

Do you remember something about that woman who started(?) the Pandagon liberal website and then said awful things in her capacity as John Edwards' official blogger? This seems even less than that (even if it's gross and theologically suspect for a guy with a divinity degree).

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
EmCeeGramr said:
Hoooolllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyy shiiit.

Missionaries were murdered in cold blood, including Marcus Whitman, who was tomahawked to death in his own house in 1848 by the Cayuse and Umatilla Indians in what became the Oregon Territory.

And these monsters, we never did anything to them!!!!1

Rapstah

Fucking reverse points. The reason indians today are poor and alcoholized is probably because their land was taken from them, not despite.

Rapstah said:
Fucking reverse points. The reason indians today are poor and alcoholized is probably because their land was taken from them, not despite.

Religious logic: If bad things happen to you, it's because you obviously deserve them.

GhaleonQ

Does he think that the Coptic Christians who get murdered regularly are wimps, and that southern Sudan (now South Sudan?) was totally punished for being Christian?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
GhaleonQ said:
Does he think that the Coptic Christians who get murdered regularly are wimps, and that southern Sudan (now South Sudan?) was totally punished for being Christian?
They are not evangelicals, so they probably deserve it.

BocoDragon said:
That's not really moral superiority...

God decides the outcome of every conflict, no matter how minor, in this earth. If you win, it's because you carried God's favor. If you lose, it's because you pissed God off. Ipso facto, the winners of every fistfight, property dispute, relay race, online gaming session, Super Bowl, election, and major war were the morally superior side. Instead of looking outwardly at why their people were hopelessly slaughtered by the big meanies exercising God's will, perhaps they should have been reflecting inwardly at where their spirituality went wrong?

That sounded even dumber putting it into writing.

tiff said:
I got more of a White Man's Burden vibe.

Different sides of the same coin. Others would rather just wipe them out, while some believe that they can be turned into "ideal citizens".

But at the end of the day, their culture, identity, and property will cease disappear.

jay

GhaleonQ said:
This seems even less than that (even if it's gross and theologically suspect for a guy with a divinity degree).

I hear divinity programs are extremely competitive. It took me 7 seconds to log into Universal Life Church the other day, so I believe it.

Opiate

Enosh said:
no one claimed it is

he is talking about the moral thingy in the next paragraph

I agree, although it I find the juxtaposition amusing.

"We conquered the Native Americans because of their moral depravity. Also, as a footnote, it may have had something to do with the fact that we had guns and they didn't."

GhaleonQ

jay said:
I hear divinity programs are extremely competitive. It took me 7 seconds to log into Universal Life Church the other day, so I believe it.

"He has an undergraduate degree in philosophy from Stanford University, and a graduate degree in theology from Dallas Theological Seminary."

And with those research skills, you'll fit right in! *wasn't sure if you were being a douche, but it seemed like it; apologies if you weren't; both universities are very good.*

jay

Opiate said:
I agree, although it I find the juxtaposition amusing.

"We conquered the Native Americans because of their moral depravity. Also, as a footnote, it may have had something to do with the fact that we had guns and they didn't."

Didn't we have guns because we were morally superior?

GhaleonQ said:
"He has an undergraduate degree in philosophy from Stanford University, and a graduate degree in theology from Dallas Theological Seminary."

And with those research skills, you'll fit right in! *wasn't sure if you were being a douche, but it seemed like it; apologies if you weren't; both universities are very good.*

Of course I was being a douche.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom