• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weird Sixaxis problem

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
This is happening to me at least once per gaming session (happened in RR7, Resistance, Blast Factor and PlayStation Store too): direction input gets 'stuck' for a couple of seconds so that if you turn left in Resistance and release the stick, you still keep doing circles. In Blast Factor I went left, then I wanted to go right, but the ship was still going left (and I died). In the PlayStation Store, cursor simply went off the screen as it had something very important to do for a sec or two. Then he came back.

So, am I the only one experiencing this issue. I already tried another controller.

TTP said:
This is happening to me at least once per gaming session (happened in RR7, Resistance, Blast Factor and PlayStation Store too): direction input gets 'stuck' for a couple of seconds so that if you turn left in Resistance and release the stick, you still keep doing cicles. In Blast Factor I went left, then I wanted to go right, but the ship was still going left (and I died). In the PlayStation Store, cursor simply went off the screen as it had something very important to do for a sec or two. Then he came back.

So, am I the only one experiencing this issue. I already tried another controller.

I get that on my original DualShock 2. It's 5 years old though. The stick physically stays off centre on mine. Edit: Sounds like a different problem :)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Graphics Horse said:
I get that on my original DualShock 2. It's 5 years old though. The stick physically stays off centre on mine, is it the same with yours?

Physically, there are no issues at all. Stick gets back into position and everything.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
TTP said:
Physically, there are no issues at all. Stick gets back into position and everything.

You tried a different controller? If you had the same problem its probably something wrong with your PS3's blue tooth.

Chi-Town

Hmmm, saw this in 1Up's RR7 review...
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3155301

Something that probably has more to do with the Sixaxis controller than Namco's game is the occasional crapping out of the wireless signal. On more than one occasion, we were racing along only to drive into the wall on a straightaway as if bumped from behind, even though no cars were behind us. Restarting the game didn't really help as the same thing happened again.

Vark

yyaaaaaaayyyy bluetooth!

If you don't want it to happen you basically have to plug in the USB cable.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Kodiak said:
You tried a different controller? If you had the same problem its probably something wrong with your PS3's blue tooth.

RF Interference?

Jeff-DSA

I've never liked bluetooth all that much with anything I have that uses it. It seems like typical temporary loss of communication for bluetooth.

Ah well, if it's a huge issue you can just leave the controller plugged in until some sort of fix is found. It would suck to lose a race due to this or something like that.

Juice

Wait--since when have we known that plugging in the controller actually transmits any data over it? I thought that for Sixaxis controllers, the USB cable was only used for power.

Juice said:
Wait--since when have we known that plugging in the controller actually transmits any data over it? I thought that for Sixaxis controllers, the USB cable was only used for power.
oh noes?

Juice

Larry Bird said:

That's certainly not how the 360 works and we know they had to write wired drivers to handle USB data transmission b/c they're selling wired controllers.

For this assumed practice to matter at all for the PS3, they would have had to put the logic on the board in the controller to shut off bluetooth and transmit over USB... seemingly needlessly. Since it's in Sony's interest for the controller to work consistently (bad?) in both situations, I don't see why they would have invested in that capability.

Juice said:
That's certainly not how the 360 works and we know they had to write wired drivers to handle USB data transmission b/c they're selling wired controllers.

For this assumed practice to matter at all for the PS3, they would have had to put the logic on the board in the controller to shut off bluetooth and transmit over USB... seemingly needlessly. Since it's in Sony's interest for the controller to work consistently (bad?) in both situations, I don't see why they would have invested in that capability.
OH NOES!

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
my car in rr7 randomly did a 720 while i coming out of a turn. i thought i'd managed to spin out somehow, but this would explain it.

fugimax

I'm pretty sure that 360 controllers actually continue to use a wireless signal even when plugged-in to the console. Only the controllers that are only wired send controller data over the wire.

edit: maybe this is what this poster meant, it's vague based on what was replied to. if so, I concur!

Danj

Juice said:
Wait--since when have we known that plugging in the controller actually transmits any data over it?

Since there were Linux USB drivers for it. Check in the Open Platform thread, it was mentioned that SIXAXIS in USB mode is a standard USB HID device except for the fact that it requires a special signal to initiate HID reports. With the driver already being in Linux I'm hopeful that we'll see homebrew Windows drivers for it sooner or later.

Vark

Juice said:

well I don't know 100% but if you plug a ps3 controller into a PC it shows up as a device in windows (that you can't use but it registers) which means its transmitting data.

so why would it do that if the ps3 didn't use it?

P90

My Sixaxis doesn't rumble. I tried it on some PS2 games like FF X and still no rumble. Weird.

j/k

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I've had this type of stuff happen with some bluetooth hardware on my PC, like a key repeating on the keyboard for a few seconds. I'm not a big fan of bluetooth.

Xabora

Battersea Power Station said:
Bah. Has anyone gotten this with the Wiimote as well?
Well, I was at gamecrazy earlier testing out ExciteTruck with the Wiimote for a good 20ish minutes... I had no issues at all.
And apparently I REALLY want a Wii now. >_>

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
this happened to me multiple times when i was playing resistance. wtf. is there a workaround or some way to minimize this, or do i just have to play with the cord plugged in?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I had this happen to me once while I was playing the Blast Factor demo, but not in anything else. Very peculiar.

If this is a hardware issue, a recall is practically required. If it's a bluetooth software thing, it needs to be patched ASAP. How could they not have caught something like this? Did they not test the controller?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
drohne said:
this happened to me multiple times when i was playing resistance. wtf. is there a workaround or some way to minimize this, or do i just have to play with the cord plugged in?

I do REALLY hope there is a software solution for this. Sony, give us hope!

Y2Kev

TTP said:
I do REALLY hope there is a software solution for this. Sony, give us hope!

I generally just play with my cord plugged in, but I can't imagine they did noooo testing on this. Or it's a large batch of defective bluetooth things or something.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Y2Kevbug11 said:
I generally just play with my cord plugged in, but I can't imagine they did noooo testing on this. Or it's a large batch of defective bluetooth things or something.

I didnt pay 600$ to play with a wired controller dammit. :p

Oh, and they DID test it. With the controller plugged in via USB...

If you bought one on ebay and it had this problem do you like complain to the seller? im wondering how that works cause if its a widespread issue people arent gonna be too happy about shelling out the big bucks and getting one with a defect. they have no 'return to store' recourse right :/

my money might stay in my wallet im not taking the chance. ah who am i kidding i'll attempt to get one anyways.

aku:jiki

Y2Kevbug11 said:
I had this happen to me once while I was playing the Blast Factor demo, but not in anything else. Very peculiar.
Yeah, I know. I've had it happen multiple times in Resistance, but never seen it in Genji. What's that about?

Bah. Has anyone gotten this with the Wiimote as well?
The Wiimote does have one or two problems, but this isn't one of them.

Y2Kev

aku:jiki said:
Yeah, I know. I've had it happen multiple times in Resistance, but never seen it in Genji. What's that about?

The Wiimote does have one or two problems, but this isn't one of them.

I've had to download a bunch of bluetooth updates for my old PowerBook, so maybe another one is coming in 1.2.

Fowler

TTP said:
This is happening to me at least once per gaming session (happened in RR7, Resistance, Blast Factor and PlayStation Store too): direction input gets 'stuck' for a couple of seconds so that if you turn left in Resistance and release the stick, you still keep doing circles. In Blast Factor I went left, then I wanted to go right, but the ship was still going left (and I died). In the PlayStation Store, cursor simply went off the screen as it had something very important to do for a sec or two. Then he came back.

You're not alone. Happened to me in Resistance once.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Y2Kevbug11 said:
I've had to download a bunch of bluetooth updates for my old PowerBook, so maybe another one is coming in 1.2.

What kind of issues did those updates solve?

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
I've never been a fan of bluetooth, and I've been critical of Sony ever since they decided to use it. It seems most proprietary RF devices perform MUCH more consistently (360 and wavebird) than bluetooth does. I still don't get why they did it.

Y2Kev

TTP said:
What kind of issues did those updates solve?

Not sure. It doesn't happen reliably to me though. It happened once in Blast Factor, but it never happened in Motorstorm and I played that for at least an hour straight. :\

Maybe its the way resistance handles something or other...dunno.

It's not regular bluetooth though, this is bluetooth HID.

Jonnyram

I've mentioned this in another thread, but this happened to me about 5/6 times on Ridge since launch (I only noticed those times because I was hitting a corner, it could have happened during straights too, I guess). It's really a potential game-breaker. On easy races, it doesn't mean much because you can go from 8th to 1st in one lap, but on later races, it would piss me off totally if I was in a position where I could win. If this is a fundamental problem with Bluetooth, Sony made a really bad decision here.

Y2Kev

It doesn't seem to be system wide. I just played about an hour of Genji and Motorstorm and it didn't happen. I wonder what the nature of the problem is. It isn't a dropped signal because the PS3 actually will give you a warning that there is no controller detected. Seems to be like the signal jams up momentarily...but it's per game. I would think it's software implementation, but I'm no expert on this.

Obviously there is a very easy workaround (plug it in), but it needs an update.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Y2Kevbug11 said:
It doesn't seem to be system wide. I just played about an hour of Genji and Motorstorm and it didn't happen. I wonder what the nature of the problem is. It isn't a dropped signal because the PS3 actually will give you a warning that there is no controller detected. Seems to be like the signal jams up momentarily...but it's per game. I would think it's software implementation, but I'm no expert on this.

Obviously there is a very easy workaround (plug it in), but it needs an update.

Actually, that occurred to me a couple of times too. In Resistance.

Mason

skinnyrattler said:
I'm gonna say no, because nobody here has a wiimote to play, right this minute.

Plus Nintendo has a better track record of making products that work like they're supposed to.

Bebpo

Banned
Had this happen to me 3 times over about 4-5 hours of Resistance. I'd be running left and shooting and suddenly even though I let go of the pad the character keeps moving left and shooting for about 5-10 secs and no matter what I do I can't regain control. It's definitely annoying because you can be 10 mins from your last checkpoint and then suddenly you lose control and die and have to restart.

Wonder what the problem is. Whatever it is, it needs a fix ASAP.

Top Bottom