• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China Says "NO!" to Pokemon Go; Bans Game, Afraid It Will Reveal Mapping Information

Syriel

Because having accurate maps in consumer products is a bad thing amirite?

Someone should tell the PRC that security through obscurity isn't a thing.

Reuters said:
Prompted by "a high level of responsibility to national security and the safety of people's lives and property," the censor, the State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television, is coordinating with other government departments to evaluate the game's risks, an industry body said.

These risks include the "threat to geographical information security and the threat to transport and the personal safety of consumers", a games panel of the China Audio-video and Digital Publishing Association, which is governed by the censor body, said in a posting on its website.

PC Mag said:
It's not just the safety of individuals that raised red flags in China, though. "Geographical information security" was also highlighted as a concern. As Pokemon Go relies on mapping, then it could certainly be used for tracking. Of course, Pokemon Go would face another issue if launched in China as it relies on Google Maps to function, which is a service not allowed to operate there.

Source:
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-pokemon-idUSKBN14U0TA
http://www.pcmag.com/news/350919/china-says-no-to-pokemon-go

"Of course, Pokemon Go would face another issue if launched in China as it relies on Google Maps to function, which is a service not allowed to operate there."

This is the actual issue here. Only Bing works in China. The mapping issue is just a misdirection.

Syriel

"Of course, Pokemon Go would face another issue if launched in China as it relies on Google Maps to function, which is a service not allowed to operate there."

This is the actual issue here. Only Bing works in China.

Not according to the linked articles. Other games using mapping services are also prohibited.

KyleCross

Wait... It's literally just a restriction on what can and can't be used from within China?

So from here in the U.S., I can look at all of this mapping information they're worried about revealing from Google Maps, but I've gotta rely on Bing from within China?

What?
Ssh, don't tell them that people outside of China can look at their map. They might ban us too.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
Wait... It's literally just a restriction on what can and can't be used from within China?

So from here in the U.S., I can look at all of this mapping information they're worried about revealing from Google Maps, but I've gotta rely on Bing from within China?

What?

Things are not as simple as you thought

antibolo

Banned

This is the actual issue here. Only Bing works in China. The mapping issue is just a misdirection.

This.

Pokemon Go is based around Google services so there's no way it could work in China anyway.

Somnid

What?

Bing in China is probably heavily censored, and culled for political labeling, borders etc. I'd imagine as are most of the Chinese mapping companies as well.

Hexa

Weren't there like a million Chinese Pokemon Go clones within like a week from launch? How did those work?

What?

It seems they are more worried about their own citizens wising up to how the world is, than to the world knowing about China and any potential targets within. Which tells you everything you need to know about their priorities, really.

sohois

Baidu has their own map app, which even when Google was allowed was still superior. I imagine that Niantic could reprogram Pokemon Go to work with it instead given the size of the market.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Bing in China is probably heavily censored, and culled for political labeling, borders etc. I'd imagine as are most of the Chinese mapping companies as well.

Don't know if this applies to Bing these days in China, but for Google Maps at least a few years ago, the map was offset by 500m as well to obscure actual location, which would add to the issue of using it for the game. :p

Top Bottom