• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rovio/Sony Attempting Fix For Angry Birds PSN Minis Version

V_Ben

Banned
http://www.psnstores.com/2011/07/the-angry-birds-are-lying-to-you/

It's kinda embarrassing to be linking to my own story, but yeah. This is happening. Rovio is now self publishing Angry Birds on PSN, and in doing so they've brought an updated version. The catch? People who bought Angry Birds when Chillingo published it on the store get dicked, as the new version actually performs, which the other one barely did.

angry4.jpg

Awful, and shady too!

(Let's not even go to the store description, which lists features minis can't even have!)

angry3.jpg

In which one of the self-proclaimed most important developers around today doesn't understand/abide to pre-existing consumer expectations of downloadable customer service.

V_Ben

Banned
Green Scar said:
In which one of the self-proclaimed most important developers around today doesn't understand/abide to pre-existing consumer expectations of downloadable customer service.

But they update the iPhone version for free ;)

Did they fix the framerate? Not that I care anyway, I had enough of Angry Birds on iOS/Android and I find the entire franchise highly overrated. There are much better timekilling puzzle games on both platforms.

survivor

Banned
You know something is wrong when Rovio are becoming bigger dicks than Capcom.

Can't Sony do something? Force them to update the older version or something.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Ya know what, I don't even care. Because the asshole who downloads Angry Birds on their damn PS3 or PSP deserves their fate!!!

survivor said:
You know something is wrong when Rovio are becoming bigger dicks than Capcom.

Can't Sony do something? Force them to update the older version or something.

Why would they?
This is more money for Sony.

I can't say I really saw this coming but releasing Angry Birds, a game based on more levels, on PSP minis was dumb. Not to mention the fact that PSP minis are dumb to begin with.

saunderez

Did anyone stop to think this probably isn't intentional? The way the PS3 handles versioning of games it makes sense that a new version of a game from a different publisher will have a different ID than the original did. Also seems like something Sony will have to fix server side by adding the new game ID to purchasers of the game under its old ID.

KorrZ

I'm going to be grinning ear to ear when this company finally goes under one day. Guess what Rovio? Your one-hit wonder game isn't going to support you forever.

V_Ben

Banned
Lagspike_exe said:
Did they fix the framerate? Not that I care anyway, I had enough of Angry Birds on iOS/Android and I find the entire franchise highly overrated. There are much better timekilling puzzle games on both platforms.

That's the thing... they did. The framerate is better.

I shot off an email to Rovio... let's see what comes of this.

Tron 2.0

saunderez said:
Did anyone stop to think this probably isn't intentional? The way the PS3 handles versioning of games it makes sense that a new version of a game from a different publisher will have a different ID than the original did. Also seems like something Sony will have to fix server side by adding the new game ID to purchasers of the game under its old ID.
Yeah.

It sucks for people that bought the gimped Chillingo version, but with two different publishers I'm not sure how they could it differently.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Adam Prime said:
Ya know what, I don't even care. Because the asshole who downloads Angry Birds on their damn PS3 or PSP deserves their fate!!!
Happy kids at home who love playing Angry Birds on the big screen. THE HORROR!

saunderez

angelfly said:
That's some shady shit. Surprised Sony allowed it since it's the equivalent of purchasing patches.
As I said above, it's highly likely that this is an unintentional side effect of repacking the game for the new publisher. I doubt Sony is aware of it yet, it's something they will have to rectify server side.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Theonik said:
Capcom would at least call it Super Angry Birds.

And then release it a third and fourth time at Super Angry Birds HD Remix Turbo Championship Punch Out Remix Edition

What a dick move by Rovio, on the iOS app store they kept the original game under Chillingo but the other 2 versions after that were self published, they might have as well ported over angry birds seasons and self published that, leaving angry birds alone.

DiscoJer

saunderez said:
As I said above, it's highly likely that this is an unintentional side effect of repacking the game for the new publisher. I doubt Sony is aware of it yet, it's something they will have to rectify server side.

Quit being a voice of reason. This is a pitchforks & torches thread.

But yeah, the chances of Sony actually being aware there are two versions of Angry Birds on their service is pretty slim.

Agent X

BobTheFork said:
ffs I just bought this before they took it down. I figure 'never played Angry birds, why not for $2' FU

That's what I did. I knew of the problems before buying, and swore I wouldn't buy a crippled version of the game on PSN. However, I didn't have an iOS, WebOS, or Android device, so when the game went on sale, I said "What the heck" and pulled the trigger on a purchase.

The game is fun, but the slowdown and frame rate degradation on some levels is truly jarring.

I understand the new version is under a different publisher (Rovio itself, rather than Chillingo), but it doesn't look like they added any new content to warrant a repurchase. They just fixed the slowdown and glitches which so many people complained about on various online channels. The actual developer of the Minis version (Abstraction Games) was apparently aware of the issue, patched it up to 1.03 while it was still under Chillingo's publishing banner, but these problems weren't resolved. Apparently, they just gave up on trying to "fix" the problem...until now, when it got republished and fixed it after all...for a price!

Those who bought the earlier version deserve a free update. Anything less is unacceptable at this point.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
kassatsu said:
Old version was pulled. Chillingo no longer publishes. Want that better framerate, cough up $4.

But you get trophies, twiiter & facebook integration! Totally worth the extra charge!

(lol)

Disclaimer: I'm kidding. You don't get any of the above!

Top Bottom