• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia |OT|

Draxal

8a3efdc9f8.png

Introduction
Lead Alm and Celica along parallel paths in a quest to bring peace to a war-torn land. Experience turn-based strategic battles with a mix of classic and modern gameplay. Then add more to your game with amiibo ™ figures and expand even further with purchasable DLC.
• Platform: Nintendo 3DS
• Release Date: May 19, 2017
• No. of Players: 1 player
• Genre: Role-Playing
• Publisher: Nintendo

Characters
1e42edb2e7.jpg

Alm
Alm leaves his village home behind and joins the Deliverance—a rebel army fighting to stop a Zofian coup. His fight will take him further than he ever dreamed.
a067815d74.jpg

Faye
One of Alm's friends, Faye would follow Alm anywhere.
b52b10482f.jpg

Tobin
Another of Alm's friends, Tobin likes the idea of earning his own living.
ddcab4506b.jpg

Celica
Celica believes Zofia's misfortunes are linked to the goddess Mila. She and her allies embark on a journey across pirate-infested seas to find Mila...whatever it takes.
ae0a8410f6.jpg

Boey
Boey is very protective of Celica and lovs bickering with Mae
7df30f1082.jpg

Mae
Celica's best friend, Mae is an eternal optimist who loves to argue with Boey.

System
training_slide_img3.jpg

Battle
Equip forces with weapons and items before battle.
Units equipped with certain weapons may gain special abilities known as Combat Arts
modal_slide1_img1.jpg

Strategy Planning
Heed the effects of terrain, check each character's tactical advantage, and anticipate the enemy's next move.
fire-emblem-echoes-screenshot-06.jpg

Dungeon Exploration
Control Alm or Celica action-adventure style as you explore dungeons for loots, items, and enemies. Touch an enemy and a grid-based battle will begin.
Take note of your units' fatigue level as they may not fight as well if they're tired.
Class Change
Class change exist in the game, where you'll need to visit a Mila Idol within each dungeon
Other Mechanics
- Casual & Classic Mode returns, where units are gone forever when they're killed just like real world.
- Support conversations happen when placing the characters next to each other on the battlefield
- Visiting the towns will allow you to talk to locals, look for items, get quests and even recruiting new addition to your armies.
- Mila's Turnwheel is a special function where it allows you to revert to previous turn during battle, quite helpful if you made a terrible mistake.

Amiibo
Alm & Celica
• Each figure unlocks a special dungeon where players can battle bosses and collect in-game items.
• Players can save the current strength of Alm or Celica in the game to the corresponding amiibo figure.
• During combat, players can sacrifice a portion of Alm or Celica's health in order to summon a computer-controlled illusory hero that will act as a temporary ally for a single turn.
Other FE Characters' amiibo
An illusory hero of the character can be summoned during battle at the cost of some of Alm's or Celica's health.
Other Compatible amiibo
An additional monster ally will be summoned for a turn at the cost of some of Alm's or Celica's health as well.

DLC
Season Pass: $44.99 USD / $63.49 CAD / €44.99 / £39.99 / $67.50 AUD / $74.25 NZD
As for individual DLC cost, contents and release timings, please refer to the website http://fireemblemechoes.nintendo.com/dlc/

Faq
When should I promote units?
Posted by Technoweirdo and Erheller
Unlike in most Fire Emblem games, in SoV units that promote have their stats raised to the base stats of the class they're promoting into, while keeping any stats that are higher. So the only reason you would wait on promoting is if you think that you're going to be able to raise a unit's stats above their promotion's base stats.

tl;dr: Promote ASAP

What class should I promote my villagers to?
This game gives four villagers right away in Alms route, and one in a later chapter in Celica's route.

The game hints out to classes for both Tobin, Grey and Kliff and technically they have "canon" choices in other Echoes media. However there are some recommended classes for them, and in Tobin and Kliff's case they disagree with his "canon" choice as hinted in the game. Both canon and recommended classes are listed here.

Alm Route
Gray: Rec Class = Merc. Canon Class = Merc.
Tobin: Rec Class = Mage. Canon Class = Archer
Kliff: Rec Class = Archer. Canon Class = Mage
Faye: Rec Class = Cleric. Canon Class = PK

Celica Route
Atlas: Rec Class = Archer. Canon Class = ???

Credits
Kuroneko for coming up this really quickly.

Past threads
Fire Emblem Echoes Shadows of Valentia announced for 3DS, Reimagining of FE Gaiden
Echoes Import Thread
Echoes Review Thread

Fire Emblem Gaf Discord
https://discord.gg/rRyQ7SX

Draxal

Reserved.

This is just a placeholder until we get the real OT in.

In the meantime, let's look at some pretty Hidari art. (thanks to Kirie from SF who created the gallery)

YW98bNP.jpg

e2Gd01l.jpg

kxKRsS8.jpg

jlGv4GC.jpg

Velcro Fly

My LE is coming next week but my amiibo are coming tomorrow.

I'm really excited for the amiibo and having all the FE amiibo sitting together on my table.

Vee_One

In Aus - Season Pass is more expensive than the game.
I will get the game most likely but it really shouldn't cost more than the base experience

Draxal

In Aus - Season Pass is more expensive than the game.
I will get the game most likely but it really shouldn't cost more than the base experience

To be honest, the DLC in Awakening was the most expensive and overpriced. It was just not available in a season pass. Fates was a little stronger in that regard, but we didn't get all of that dlc in the west either.

If we added up all the dlc available in awakening and fates they would have been more expensive than this one, iirc.

The news of the Cipher DLC just came out, and thats probably the one that's most bang for the buck.

syncyes

I hope Amazon ships my LE soon, I want to play this. Never managed to get far in the original Gaiden, it was too antiquated for me.

B00TE

Looking forward to my special edition and amiibos showing up tomorrow
and hopefully not getting delivered to one of my neighbors RIP.

Subscribed!

Looks like my LE from Amazon will be here tomorrow. Should be an interesting game, something different to mix it up from Awakening and Fates, for now.

I'm quite fond of Awakening and Fates Conquest/Revelation, actually, but it isn't like they will be disappearing from my shelf or the usual frequent revisits.

Ninferno

Played a few chapters and I'm loving what I'm seeing so far. The thing that stands out the most for me is surprisingly the voice acting. Seriously, after being accustomed to reading long-winded dialogues for 20 years, it is more refreshing than I thought to have fully (almost) voiced cutscenes. The characters are all familiar (except new additions like Faye of course) from Gaiden but sort of new as well; the top-notch voice acting is adding a lot of personalities to them. Alm's voice is great, so is Celica's. They sound exactly like what I think they should, and make you care about them right from the start.
It is clear that IS is shipping them REALLY hard, maybe too hard, and I'm ok with it

Gameplay wise, it's pretty standard Fire Emblem. I have yet to experience things like weapon skills and I'm pretty excited about it. Gaiden was my first FE 20 years ago so I don't have to say how hyped I am to play a remake of it 20 years later. It is actually surprising to me that it seems to be delivering despite my through-the-roof level of hype.

Anteo

I like the extra effor on the scenes with the voice and all that but... my god this intro is longer than I expected.

Played a few chapters and I'm loving what I'm seeing so far. The thing that stands out the most for me is surprisingly the voice acting.

Wouldn't be surprising for me, the focus on the (apparently quality) voice acting is one of the primary bullet points that had me consider getting this sooner rather than later.

Are the characters and story in this any good?

I'm going to buy it, but I want to set my expectations.

Also, I'd appreciate a comparison in these factors to Awakening and Fates so I can calibrate...

Vee_One

To be honest, the DLC in Awakening was the most expensive and overpriced. It was just not available in a season pass. Fates was a little stronger in that regard, but we didn't get all of that dlc in the west either.

If we added up all the dlc available in awakening and fates they would have been more expensive than this one, iirc.

The news of the Cipher DLC just came out, and thats probably the one that's most bang for the buck.

It's the same way everywhere the game is launching - it's absolutely bonkers.

I don't mind expansions, often buy them, but this leaves a bad taste in my mouth

I'm sure some the content for echoes will be good but that season pass is ridiculous

nubbe

I've done the first act and do enjoy this way more than I did Fates.
So I'm highly optimistic about the rest of the game.

I really like the dungeon parts since it gives a brief sense of adventure.
The punishment of using magic and heals don't seem as harsh as I would want it.

Fates was a little stronger in that regard, but we didn't get all of that dlc in the west either.
This right here is why I refuse to buy any more Season Passes for Fire Emblem. Call me petty but I'm really upset that we never got the Festival of Bonds DLC...

I hope the final thread title is as witty and clever as all OT titles should be.

I preordered the game literally the month it was announced but Amazon is shipping it next Monday. Thanks, Amazon. 🙃

This right here is why I refuse to buy any more Season Passes for Fire Emblem. Call me petty but I'm really upset that we never got the Festival of Bonds DLC...

I honestly never got any of Fates, because I bought the Map Packs for Awakening and felt I didn't get enough value for what I paid for it.

Anyways, I'm excited for this game and had my Special Edition shipped earlier today so I hope that it comes in the afternoon tomorrow and not much later.

By Default, turns don't end until you select end even if you've moved all your units. Auto-Advance is basically the normal format where after you move your units the turn auto ends.
I think it's the text box.
Since it has full voice acting, text just goes naturally with the VA. I remember in Persona I had it off meaning I had to push a button to continue the conversation

Top Bottom