• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Just finished Grand Prix Level 4 with Ninjara and it was significantly harder than I thought it would be to unlock ranked mode.

With the number of people on here that said it was pretty easy I do not like my chances in ranked mode. Especially with a bunch of people saying they have beaten Level 7, you must be savage at this game.

I'm in the same boat - I have Ranked unlocked but I'm terrified to try since 4 was very hard for me!

deoee

I haven't played ranked yet but I feel it will be the usual "use the most broken char/arms combo and spam the most broken thing" as in every game with ranked?

DKL

If it was ARMS 2, perhaps sure

The free DLC marketing helps build a solid fanbase for the game and it's working

Ahh ok, I get it but that's relative, not everyone sees the grind as replay value.

You know, it's funny, but I do understand why they may not do unlock DLC because a lot of the appeal to most players is collecting them all...

But, as someone who's playing because I like the actual game and don't need a drip feed to keep mashing, I'm more interested in doing lab work with the various arms combinations...

But I can't since I'm still unlocking shit lol

backlot

What exactly does the stun element do? I'm not sure what makes Whammer worth using over other heavy arms like Megaton or Megawatt.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Missed opportunity, be nice to scan an amiibo and get random # of coins or even a free arm occasionally on lucky scans ala BOTW special items.

Before anyone flames me, no exclusive arms in amiibos!!!

My guess is they just don't have the production capacity (given the shortage of Zelda Amiibo etc.) and just opted to go with established IP rather than the new Arms IP given limited resources.

I agree it's a game that could use them. Just unlocking Arms faster would be enough for me to buy at least one (agree on no Amibo exclusive arms--any thing exclusive should just be cosmetic).

Neoxon

I barely beat Headlok, though not in the way that I wanted to win. A bomb ended up saving my life & delivered the final blow.

molnizzle

You know, it's funny, but I do understand why they may not do unlock DLC because a lot of the appeal to most players is collecting them all...

But, as someone who's playing because I like the actual game and don't need a drip feed to keep mashing, I'm more interested in doing lab work with the various arms combinations...

But I can't since I'm still unlocking shit lol

They need to patch in a real lab as well.

Missed opportunity, be nice to scan an amiibo and get random # of coins or even a free arm occasionally on lucky scans ala BOTW special items.

Before anyone flames me, no exclusive arms in amiibos!!!

Ideally, the Amiibo implementation I'd like to see would be the one coming in Splatoon 2, where the figures serve as a convenient way to carry your unlocks/loadouts to a friend's system rather than unlocking anything themselves. This would partly address the situation with making unlockable arms available in a local tournament setting.

As for the grind, so far I'm getting so much out of the game in single-player with default loadouts alone (or with lengthy streaks in the Arms Test randomizer mode if I want to change things up) that I haven't spent a single coin to unlock anything. I will eventually, as I do look forward to the mix-and-match layer of strategy, but right now that isn't my incentive to play at all; getting better at moving the characters is my reason to play. The old arcade-style format that Grand Prix represents never needed rewards or incentives other than escalating difficulty to be fun, so to have that now is a bonus.

We do need a comprehensive statistics page of some sort, though. That is definitely my primary request for any patch. I seem to remember that MK8 also received this late.

Sorry if this has been discussed, but I am close to buying this and have only heard Giantbomb reports. Is there an advantage to using motion controls vs regular controls? i know giant bomb mentioned something about curving arms, but I didnt get to play the test punches. I'll mostly be playing his handheld with the joycons attached, ab disadvantage?

Zedark

Sorry if this has been discussed, but I am close to buying this and have only heard Giantbomb reports. Is there an advantage to using motion controls vs regular controls? i know giant bomb mentioned something about curving arms, but I didnt get to play the test punches. I'll mostly be playing his handheld with the joycons attached, ab disadvantage?
Both setup have their advantages: motion controls allow for more precise curving, but pro controller or handheld allow for larger agility.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member

I personally find regular controls to be much easier. The one down side is that it can be a bit harder to curve punches with each arm in different ways, which is easier with motion controls.

Your personal comfort with the scheme with which you learn the game fluently first is the biggest advantage of all, and will outweigh any advantage you squeak out of the mechanical differences in either setup. If you expect you'll primarily play handheld, just play handheld. The controls are balanced enough to make a hard-line partisan out of anyone who prefers one or the other (and in my case, I play with motion). Get moderately good at playing the game one way and you won't want to switch to the other way.

thedan001

So why doesnt this game offer button remapping?

Did Nintendo think "motion controllers cant be properly remap so sucks for traditional controllers too!" ?

There's a couple adjustments I really want to make on the Pro Controller and makes me sad that I can't.

Pro Controller Elite please?

Renna Hazel

So why doesnt this game offer button remapping?

Did Nintendo think "motion controllers cant be properly remap so sucks for traditional controllers too!" ?

There's a couple adjustments I really want to make on the Pro Controller and makes me sad that I can't.

Pro Controller Elite please?

Nintendo has never been a fan of this. It's lame and they need to change their ways soon. Pressing the left stick to block is so annoying.

thedan001

Thanks for the quick answers everyone, think ill start my download up.

Feel free to join us on discord, best way to join GAF lobbies atm

Nintendo has never been a fan of this. It's lame and they need to change their ways soon. Pressing the left stick to block is so annoying.

Pro's already use triggers for punches, leaving right thumb for XY to dash/jump, I would move block to A/B, but that's just me.

molnizzle

Alright.

I'm legit gonna quit this game unless there's a way to easily get through the level 7 grand prix on every character with default ARMS.

If you know of a video guide please link it. Must have video proof.

I was so ice cold on this after the first Test Punch weekend. After the second, I wasn't completely sold on the game but it was fun enough and charming and I wanted to give it a good shot.

After one weekend of full game I now think this is one of the most mechanically interesting games of the year so far. It just works so incredibly well and feels so unique in its vibe and gameplay. So much fun (even if I've only just scraped through GP level 5 so far...)

emb

Yeah. I get why they might want to focus on defaults, but sometimes they just make really bad decisions. Blocking by pressing in the stick doesn't feel good, and I wonder what made them go with it. Especially when the two shoulder buttons both do the same thing... Re-mapping would have been appreciated in this game.

Nico_D

People telling how they beat GP 7 for the Nth time. I got to GP 4 against Twintelle without problems and I'm happy. (Though Twintelle kicked my ass 2-1.)

DjRalford

1v1v1 is absolutely bollocks, every game I get hammered from front and behind and no amount of switching targets seems to work, I can't concentrate on a single target as I then get picked off by the other player.

Vball is equally bollocks as no matter what I do I can't turn fast enough to hit the fucking ball!

7roject28

Hmmm, bought the game this weekend and played it but I dunno, I'm not feeling the game. Got physical so I think I'm gonna return it and get something else.

Yeah. I get why they might want to focus on defaults, but sometimes they just make really bad decisions. Blocking by pressing in the stick doesn't feel good, and I wonder what made them go with it. Especially when the two shoulder buttons both do the same thing... Re-mapping would have been appreciated in this game.

Or they could have put the block on B or A. Punching makes more sense on ZL and ZR.

I've yet to win a single Ranked Match xD a lot of the times, I lose the round from the opponent spamming grabs while walking towards me right at the end then run away to let the time run out.

At least I'm not getting stomped and they're mostly really good matches.

spekkeh

Banned
Playing Mechanica, getting matched up with Ribbon Girl for Hoops, might as well stop the Grand prix then and there. Tried eight times. Fuck it.

So I just got my first ARM duplicate, which gave the ARM a "+"

What does this mean exactly? More powerful? If so, more powerful against even online enemies? That doesn't seem too fair if true. Also, how many times can you get a "+" per ARM?

molnizzle

So I just got my first ARM duplicate, which gave the ARM a "+"

What does this mean exactly? More powerful? If so, more powerful against even online enemies? That doesn't seem too fair if true. Also, how many times can you get a "+" per ARM?

Yes, more damage and slightly faster. Arms can only "+" once. It does give you an advantage. You could argue that end game is balanced around all "+" arms.

Fighting game experience.

Bullshit. Fighting game experience does nothing to help against this horrendously designed AI.

Nintendo should be fucking embarrassed of this shit.

thedan001

Is the Get Arms totally random? I already played it twice with Twintelle for 200 and I get everyone else's arms... Except for Twintelle.

Ugh.

Would be nice if you had screenshots

Everyone told me the main character was guaranteed an arm if you picked it for the mini-game

Proof would've made them all eat crow

So I did it.

I said when I defeat Gore, I will take a Screenshot and frame it.

img_3620hgsg3.jpg

When ever I will feel sad, I just look at this picture and be happy again.
When ever there is a task that seems impossible to do, I look at that picture and know nothing is impossible.

Do I hate helix with double poppers?? Yes I do.

Am I to proud defeating Gore with double poppers only once? Maybe

So who ever is facing Gore, just remember: It is not impossible to defeat him!!!!

Here is also a link to the original screenshot:
https://abload.de/img/dcrjfljvwaauzvk.jpg-5qsxs.jpeg

Oh my god, he actually did it. I never thought I would see this day. He's a man of his word, I love it. My respect for you has just grown further than it already was, good games man. Practice some more and eventually you can beat me CONSISTENTLY.

Also for those who have any questions about the game I'll gladly answer!

Someone inspired me to give tips I've accumulated so I might do that as well.

heringer

Oh my god, he actually did it. I never thought I would see this day. He's a man of his word, I love it. My respect for you has just grown further than it already was, good games man. Practice some more and eventually you can beat me CONSISTENTLY.

Ok, I'll ask one!

To get arms should I go 100 or 200?

molnizzle

You know how to beat level 7 grand prix on every character with the default arms?

The standard "keep away and build rush meter" doesn't work on small stages like spring man. There's no getting away, and if he's running dual boomerangs you're gonna get hit.

What's the fastest way to get currency?

jokkir

I finally unlocked ranked with Ninjara yesterday. I didn't have to do a rematch and won every single match (lost a few rounds though)

MDave

You know how to beat level 7 grand prix on every character with the default arms?

The standard "keep away and build rush meter" doesn't work on small stages like spring man. There's no getting away, and if he's running dual boomerangs you're gonna get hit.

I'm doing the same thing right now, using Min Min with her default arms and Spring Man has a counter for everything. Perfectly timed throws/punches against me when I land from a jump. I try to jump as little as possible, but its habit to jump and dodge in the air.

Top Bottom