• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Valve ruined TF2?

Mr_Moogle

So every server I go to....theres medics everywhere just standing around farming their achievements. Wtf is this shit? What happened to actually playing the game?

Who the fuck thought it would be a good idea to put achievements in a multiplayer game anyway? This totally panders to the losers out there who play 12 hours a day. I only have time to play casually and now I'm at a huge disadvantage.

I know they wanted more people playing the medic but this is just ridiculous. Maybe it wouldnt be such a big deal if they had achievements for every class but it'll probably be months before we see an update like that.

Seriously Valve. You fucked it up.

aznpxdd

For the time being, yeah. All the servers I play on regularly are plagued with medics whoring to get achievements. I seriously have no idea why so many people are jumping on to get the unlocks, if you didn't like playing medic...these unlocks don't change anything.

Firestorm

Yeah. Bitching in the official thread and patch thread isn't enough, you're opinion's so important you have to create a new thread. Honestly, I'm getting a little tired of it all.

They have not ruined TF2. At the moment it's a bit shitty in many servers. It's more due to the TYPES of achievements (kill 50 medics with a bonesaw!) rather than the actual achievements themselves. Just go as an offensive class and get those abundance of medics to heal you. Or play on a non-retarded server. I had a lot of fun on the GAF Love Me Sexy server today playing with other GAFfers. Max of 3 medics at any time.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
legend166 said:
I don't mind it, since as a Heavy on Gold Rush I've been racking up massive points.

This, but i'm a soldier.

Gold rush certainly makes up for the medics whoring for achievements.

Mr_Moogle

Firestorm said:
Yeah. Bitching in the official thread and patch thread isn't enough, you're opinion's so important you have to create a new thread. Honestly, I'm getting a little tired of it all.

They have not ruined TF2. At the moment it's a bit shitty in many servers. It's more due to the TYPES of achievements (kill 50 medics with a bonesaw!) rather than the actual achievements themselves. Just go as an offensive class and get those abundance of medics to heal you. Or play on a non-retarded server. I had a lot of fun on the GAF Love Me Sexy server today playing with other GAFfers. Max of 3 medics at any time.

Unfortunately I live in Australia and will get pings of around 250 if I want to play on a US server. At the moment the ONLY Aussie server with enough people for a proper game is full of medics. Some guy actually yelled at me cos I killed him. He's like "dude wtf, were only here for achievements".....WTF!

You gotta admit....the way Valve has handled this is pretty stupid. I expected a lot better from a developer of their calibur.

C4Lukins

Mr_Moogle said:
So every server I go to....theres medics everywhere just standing around farming their achievements. Wtf is this shit? What happened to actually playing the game?

Who the fuck thought it would be a good idea to put achievements in a multiplayer game anyway? This totally panders to the losers out there who play 12 hours a day. I only have time to play casually and now I'm at a huge disadvantage.

I know they wanted more people playing the medic but this is just ridiculous. Maybe it wouldnt be such a big deal if they had achievements for every class but it'll probably be months before we see an update like that.

Seriously Valve. You fucked it up.

If XBOX Live has taught anyone anything, it is that online based Achievements suck.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Mr_Moogle said:
Unfortunately I live in Australia and will get pings of around 250 if I want to play on a US server. At the moment the ONLY Aussie server with enough people for a proper game is full of medics. Some guy actually yelled at me cos I killed him. He's like "dude wtf, were only here for achievements".....WTF!

You gotta admit....the way Valve has handled this is pretty stupid. I expected a lot better from a developer of their calibur.

I'm also from AUS and haven't had that issue yet before. I have seen maybe two or so medics trying to get achievements by themselves but apart from that everyone else has been playing the actual game.

Maybe the kids are home from school and messing up your TF2.

I've had an absolutely awesome experience with the patch. I've never been healed so often when I'm using an offensive class and Goldrush is way too much fun.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Yeah, it was a bit short sighted but not unfixable.
I think playing as an offensive class doesnt change the fact that the fun factor is shrunk when your playing in a situation like that.

C4Lukins said:
If XBOX Live has taught anyone anything, it is that online based Achievements and gamerz suck.
fixededed

Aaron

C4Lukins said:
If XBOX Live has taught anyone anything, it is that online based Achievements suck.
The lesson is there, but I don't think it's being taught since it seems nearly every game still has them. They are just fundementally broken as a concept, either impossible to get due to drops or ruin games due to whores like this.

bounchfx

start playing on less gay servers. I just got off from playing TF2 and it was fine. only 1-2 medics a team of 8 people

Shins

Banned
Firestorm said:

I am fucking tired of this mentality that you believe entitles people like you to shit on threads with this bullshit. Shut the fuck up.

aeolist

Banned
I agree that the implementation is stupid, but it's also very easily fixable and they've shown the willingness to listen to the playerbase.

I don't mind achievements, but you should never, ever have any real gameplay content dependent on them.

You know what really ruins games like this? All the fucking server side mods they force me to download. All those bullshit UT sounds, songs and whatnot. They should ban that garbage altogether.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
bounchfx said:
start playing on less gay servers. I just got off from playing TF2 and it was fine. only 1-2 medics a team of 8 people
You're told on

Dot50Cal

Banned
Fallout-NL said:
You know what really ruins games like this? All the fucking server side mods they force me to download. All those bullshit UT sounds, songs and whatnot. They should ban that garbage altogether.

cl_allowdownload 0
cl_downloadfilter "nosounds"

painey

arent the TF2 PC achievements even more useless than XBOX ones? No universal system for PC games and no gamerscore.

Chris R

Dot50Cal said:
cl_allowdownload 0
cl_downloadfilter "nosounds"
yes

Also, they should have done this in groups, one from each of the three "super classes" That way people wouldn't be doing the medic ones all, instead they might be doing the demo or soldier, ect.

painey said:
arent the TF2 PC achievements even more useless than XBOX ones? No universal system for PC games and no gamerscore.
No "gamerscore" but instead you get better weapons that you can use in game, so they actually mean something.

Moatman

painey said:
They are, but the new patch also added 3 new unlockable weapons for medics via achievements, hence the problem. Everyone wants to get the new weapons and they have to do odd tasks as medics to open them up, affecting everyone else in the game.

Zyzyxxz

Moatman said:
They are, but the new patch also added 3 new unlockable weapons for medics via achievements, hence the problem. Everyone wants to get the new weapons and they have to do odd tasks as medics to open them up, affecting everyone else in the game.

but herein lies the real problem.

More people are playing medic than usual but some just want the achievements. Why bother if once they get them they wont play medic again?

Damn medic is one of my top 3 classes that I play and now I dont have to but the problem is that most of the medics are noobs now.

I like it when players who are on a crappy team start blaming the medics (in other words, ME) especially since third-rate medics are everywhere now.

*cough*
michaelBOLTON
*cough*

GOOD medics don't heal one person all the time, they have to let everyone get some overhealth...oh what now? You start blaming me for healing this one person for quite a while now? Sorry, you should have been in a more inconspicuous place so I could actually see you or maybe you should have called for a medic! Stop heckling me for using that uber early! I HAD to use it early or else I would've been burnt to death! ARGH! Stop being whiny! >:|

fdhk5d.jpg

I'm really tempted to ban this guy from my life, but I want to haunt him with my supposed "crappiness" and troll around with this guy.

[/livejournal]

iamblades

Pick better servers.

I haven't been seen more than 4 medics on a team yet

All else fails, go to a server with a class cap.

MedievalManIII said:
I like it when players who are on a crappy team start blaming the medics (in other words, ME) especially since third-rate medics are everywhere now.

*cough*
michaelBOLTON
*cough*

GOOD medics don't heal one person all the time, they have to let everyone get some overhealth...oh what now? You start blaming me for healing this one person for quite a while now? Sorry, you should have been in a more inconspicuous place so I could actually see you or maybe you should have called for a medic! Stop heckling me for using that uber early! I HAD to use it early or else I would've been burnt to death! ARGH! Stop being whiny! >:|

fdhk5d.jpg

I'm really tempted to ban this guy from my life, but I want to haunt him with my supposed "crappiness" and troll around with this guy.

[/livejournal]

Is he actually from GAF? I thought he was just some random dude that joined the server.

iamblades

MedievalManIII said:

*cough*
michaelBOLTON
*cough*

fdhk5d.jpg

[/livejournal]

I hate when people whine about heals.

My best story as of late was on TC_hydro, i was the only medic, healing a group of about 5 demos and soldiers in one of those side tunnels trying to push up. My hands were full to say the least.

So this sniper starts spamming the medic call, which I naturally ignore, because he isn't anywhere I can see him, and plus he's a sniper, he can go get his own damn health.

So naturally he dies, then bitches at me that I didn't stop healing all the people in the offensive push, turn around and run back just to heal his whiny ass. I think he called my the worst medic ever, but somehow I ended up on top the leaderboard. I would've gloated, but the demomen and soldiers I was healing did a good enough job telling this guy what an idiot he was.

bdouble

I played the day after the update and had no such experience of surplus medics. It was actually quite nice to have 3 medics most of the time.

Capndrake

I got all "normal" achievements plus Peer Review (Hey, if enemy medics come after me might as well take advantage) in normal games. I did the ridiculous ones on the GAF server together with other GAFers who also wanted them.

The Ubersaw is definitely worth the effort :D

YYZ

I got 38/39 achievements and some of them in a private group, everyone should do this if they care to get the achievements rather than tarding up the servers. I'll play medic if the team needs one, but I went back to my usual classes after I got the 3 weapons.

I actually liked DoD: Source. :lol

But, there are hardcore TFC guys who think Valve ruined the game with TF2 so I don't know what the deal is.

Xyphie

Yes they have. Online achievements are always bad and these new ones are probably the worst I've every seen. Not only are some of them basically impossible to unlock without cheating, but you also have like 5 medics on each team running around trying to kill other medics with the bonesaw instead of healing their team mates.

Valve, you fucked up big time.

Steeven

TF2 is fine, just play on a server with class limits. In a month most people will have farmed their achievements.

Wasn't this update with new weapons and achievements just a test to see if it works, so they could roll it out further with the other classes? If not, I hope they just release the next update with weapons and achievements for all classes.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Either way, I'm sure Valve have learned from this experience. I doubt future achievements will be lumped in the way the medic's was.

Give it a week or two and it'll calm down. This is just sudden reaction to a class getting special stuff; same thing happens in MMOs all the time.

nestea

It isn't as bad as it initially was, I think the surge has died down. Infact, I was actually forced to go medic today due to our team lacking a single medic. Since I was one of those people who played Dustbowl exclusively with the occasional Gravelpit, I've fallen in love with Goldrush and now I balance my time between the two maps, so I'm all for this update.

I was playing last night on my favorite 2fort only server and they already have limited medics to three just like they limit engineers. Ofcourse my team had 3 engineers and 3 medics. The spies on the other team sure had a good time.

That said, I like what Valve is doing with the medic and hope they don't take too long to revamp some of the other classes.

Cowie

if they were just achievements, it wouldn't be a problem. It's the fact that you can get improved weapons/healing/whatever from getting all these achievements that makes achievement farming a reality.

TF2 already sucked, there's nothing to ruin!!! /usualblathering

Medic is my favorite class, just because running around batting people with a scout is actually a decent strategy. Rocking the scoreboard as a medic who doesn't heal makes me giddy.

Aegus

The first few days have been rather strange. It's been funny seeing 8 medics in a single team (in a 16 man team) to say the least. It'll settle down in a few days really.

Top Bottom