• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT4| Every Rose Has Its Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trokil

Banned
I like how Pearl got her socks blown off

Funny episode, but how long a fusion can exists seem even more random now. That was already strange and why sometimes it is exhausting to fuse and sometimes it seems not.

I like how Pearl got her socks blown off

Funny episode, but how long a fusion can exists seem even more random now. That was already strange and why sometimes it is exhausting to fuse and sometimes it seems not.

I think they can exist as long as they want, as long as there's harmony. Of course, the show seems to imply the smaller the fusion the easier.

I guess it also takes into account the effort the fusion as a being does -- it's not the same to fight as Alexandrite than it is to stay around as Garnet.

inb4debunkbysugar

Mr Swine

Banned
Sardonyx is such a hot character, and I laughed a bit when she had to push herself in through the CG door xD. I really hope we see more of her, Opal and Sugalite in the future. But man was Garnet really really exited to see Steven fuse with Amethyst

Know Your Fusion spoilers:

Someone pointed out that Sardonyx tells Smoky "You left a dent in that wall there"...and then points in the camera's direction. Oh God, they managed to foreshadow the fourth wall breaking in the episode. The "Footage Courtesy of Cartoon Network" broke my mind a bit since it was the first time the show's explicitly gone full-meta. I laughed even harder at the Nicki Minaj joke right after.

EDIT:
Even thought this was mostly a filler episode, it did address my biggest problem with Sardonyx in how inconsiderate she is of others' feelings. She made Amethyst feel like crap in Cry for Help, so it was nice to see her finally recognize that she was being inconsiderate of Smoky by being too full of herself.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I feel a little adrift in the SU fandom (most fandoms?) in that I have no interest in shipping. In fact, I absolutely hate it. If two characters becoming romantic interests develops them as characters or advances the plot without breaching their established character, that's fine, but pairing characters purely for the sake of pairing characters I find kind of creepy, and I've seen two many shows I liked ruined by the showrunners pandering to this. The best "ship" in SU is Garnet, because it is who she is and defines her motivations and establishes her plotline. I don't see what the point in "Lapidot" or whatever is.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I think they can exist as long as they want, as long as there's harmony. Of course, the show seems to imply the smaller the fusion the easier.

I guess it also takes into account the effort the fusion as a being does -- it's not the same to fight as Alexandrite than it is to stay around as Garnet.

inb4debunkbysugar

I think it does all boil down to emotional states and harmony. The more fusion partners disagree, the less stable the fusion. Garnet is so stable cuz her components are incredibly complimentary to one another. It took Garnet encountering the horror of the cluster monsters to create enough turmoil to make her tilt for even five seconds.

Meanwhile in battle we've seen the larger fusions have trouble sometimes when they take one punch, because the partners are internally arguing or uncertain about how to handle the situation. The typical flow of battle for big fusions is to become unstable when they're on the ropes, struggle to pull it together, and gain coherency by all the internal elements agreeing on how to turn the tide and fight back.

PSqueak

Banned
Gosh! The
meta
jokes in Know your fusion killed me.

Nicki Minaj joke was the best.

Ok GAF, Speculation time
Who is Jorge?

zeemumu

Sardonyx has Pearl's know it all personality and Garnet's confidence and it causes her to end up sounding condescending and haughty at times, but never malicious.

Smokey Quartz seems to personify Amethyst and Steven's acceptance of their flaws through self-depricating humor

Can't handle the meta-jokes in this episode.

- Garnet being unable to ask questions because the writers' guidelines stipulate that she never ask questions.
- Sardonyx asking Smoky whether she'd dented the fourth wall.
- "Footage courtesy of Cartoon Network"
- Sardonyx wondering whether or not they'll have to pay Nicki Minaj.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Sardonyx has Pearl's know it all personality and Garnet's confidence and it causes her to end up sounding condescending and haughty at times, but never malicious.

Smokey Quartz seems to personify Amethyst and Steven's acceptance of their flaws through self-depricating humor

I do find the fusion traits that get amplified by their partners similar/compatiable traits interesting. Pearl AND Garnet also both like to show off a little (maybe Pearl more than Garnet). Pearl does like to show off sometimes and likes to be depended on, and sometimes gets controlling. Garnet is indeed absolutely confident in what she holds important (Ruby and Saphires love for each other, her viewpoints, her love of Steven, etc.), but also likes to be level-headed and repress issues that are more 'minor', and sometimes makes errors in judgement of what's appropriate. But both of them don't mean to be malicious, so when they realized that in some ways their traits combined was putting too much pressure on Steven and Amythst to live-up to their standards, it (quite literally) fell apart.

I need to see more of Smoky Quartz, but it does seem they took jabs at themselves to play off some lack of confidence and humor element they both have (Steven more to lighten the mood, Amethyst to have fun), and to try and make up for their lack of living up to expectations, which Amethyst has obviously been going through in this arc, and Steven has been experiencing since so many seem to want to compare him continously to his mom.

Some may say its a filler episode, but I think it was an important episode to touch on all of the Crystal Gens interpersonl issues. Literally all four of their flaws manifested in some way in this episode, yet they were able to realize their fault and come together and not hold each other to their own standards.

(and a lot of fourth wall breaking.)

KiN0

From the title of the episode, I was expecting a rundown of all the fusions we've seen so far, but this was okay. Seeing smokey put herself down like that was kind of sad though. I'm glad Sardonyx realized how hurtful she was being.

Something from the last episode that I didn't realize until now, Garnet and Pearl didn't keep their Bismuth upgrades like Amethyst. This might have just been an oversight, but it did get me thinking whether or not a gem can alter her weapon by herself or if she needs special materials to do it.

zeemumu

- Garnet being unable to ask questions because the writers' guidelines stipulate that she never ask questions.

Oooh, so that's why Garnet said that. Yeah I guess that makes sense to avoid a future vision plothole.

Any news on US home releases for the full seasons?

I noticed the first one as soon as we got the preview out, but it also slightly makes sense in-universe when you consider Garnet "promised" Rose to never ask questions in, well, The Answer.

I noticed the first one as soon as we got the preview out, but it also slightly makes sense in-universe when you consider Garnet "promised" Rose to never ask questions in, well, The Answer.

Remember what Rose said to Garnet: "No more questions. Don't ever question this. You already are the answer." Garnet took her literally, so she never asks questions. That line also works as an excellent messages to people in homosexual relationships (Garnet is a living embodiment of one) to be confident and proud of their love, no matter what society may think.

EDIT: For that promo, YO WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING IN THAT
SAPPHIRE
SCENE?

I feel a little adrift in the SU fandom (most fandoms?) in that I have no interest in shipping. In fact, I absolutely hate it. If two characters becoming romantic interests develops them as characters or advances the plot without breaching their established character, that's fine, but pairing characters purely for the sake of pairing characters I find kind of creepy, and I've seen two many shows I liked ruined by the showrunners pandering to this. The best "ship" in SU is Garnet, because it is who she is and defines her motivations and establishes her plotline. I don't see what the point in "Lapidot" or whatever is.
Both Peridot and Lapis have past history of having problems with Fusion (Peri originally treated it like the most disgusting thing ever, an analogy for racism, perhaps? Lapis had that whole Jasper/abusive relationship thing), they live together and act like an old married couple now, and you don't see any "point" or rather possible character building inherent in that situation?

I'm not a shipper myself, to be honest. If it happens, it happens. Just saying I can see where the Lapidot shippers are going with this line of thinking. It makes sense from the showrunner side as well.

Just T

Know Your Fusion was another good episode.
The meta jokes were good and overall just really enjoyed Sardonyx but she was being a little abrasive towards Smoky Quartz which was kinda weird cause the yo-yo seemed special enough. The last part was really cool even though it seemed like Garnet and Pearl put in no real effort to run to each other lol but the music and yo-yo trick was dope.

The preview looking nice as well.

low-G

I don't see what the point in "Lapidot" or whatever is.

I was thinking about this a while. The defining characteristic both Lapis & Period seem to have is anger. Maybe if they both get extremely angry together they'd fuse. Probably fuse into a psychic Overwatch Reaper.

Anger is pretty much the only reason I can see them getting together.

Blues1990

seems lauren zuke got harassed off twitter. i do not know full details

Uh, oh. I mainly followed her twitter to check what new artwork she posts, so I'm going to be upset if some dumblebutt forces her hand and she deletes her profile, all because of some idiot not knowing his boundaries.

iosefe

Uh, oh. I mainly followed her twitter to check what new artwork she posts, so I'm going to be upset if some dumblebutt forces her hand and she deletes her profile, all because of some idiot not knowing his boundaries.

ok, seems it was sparked by the shipping war. specifically Amedot shippers fighting lapidot shippers and bringing lauren into it due to her contribution calling little exchanges between amethyst and peri forshadowing, and that is was all just a joke because thigns seems swayed toward lapidot.
https://67.media.tumblr.com/edea8bd51b06fa4741f6070c825165a8/tumblr_obfive9oAC1rk75qmo1_250.png
her final tweets seemed to be mad at episode leakers, as well. i don't blame her.
https://66.media.tumblr.com/9146a56fa435141e9958ab53662d4e71/tumblr_inline_obtmeqgRYR1rx2ks6_540.png

Blues1990

ok, seems it was sparked by the shipping war. specifically Amedot shippers fighting lapidot shippers and bringing lauren into it due to her contribution calling little exchanges between amethyst and peri forshadowing, and that is was all just a joke because thigns seems swayed toward lapidot.
https://67.media.tumblr.com/edea8bd51b06fa4741f6070c825165a8/tumblr_obfive9oAC1rk75qmo1_250.png
her final tweets seemed to be mad at episode leakers, as well. i don't blame her.
https://66.media.tumblr.com/9146a56fa435141e9958ab53662d4e71/tumblr_inline_obtmeqgRYR1rx2ks6_540.png

The idiom "This is why we can't have nice things." aptly applies here. I sometimes hate fanbases for this reason.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

I increasingly hate shipping

Not because of anything fundamental to the idea (whatever, enjoy your shows however you like)

But because of how often it seems to produce this absolutely awful behavior

I don't see what the point in "Lapidot" or whatever is.

They were the first two antagonistic gems we saw on the show so people just automatically started shipping them together because of that with absolutely not other reason to pair them showing up until they started living in the barn together.

Permanently A

shipping was a mistake

its seriously nothing but trash

Sponge

Banned
My Gamestop just got a box of Steven Mystery Minis this week and I picked up some.

6VoTMac.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom