• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5.1 Headphones ok for gaming?

BirdFlu

Banned
monkspider said:
Quick question: does the SU-DH1 only work with special headphones? I realize you would want pretty good ones to make it worthwhile.

They work with any standard headphones. Although to get the best out of the unit, you should really invest in some nicer ones. I myself am using Bose Triports. Although the quality is fine, I'm about to invest in some Audio Technica ATH-A900s myself.

BirdFlu said:
Yeah it takes optical in through a mini-toslink jack and processes the 5.1 DD/DTS stream using Dolby Headphone technology. I hooked mine up to a 360 using this cable:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10229&cs_id=1022902&p_id=1557&seq=1&format=2

There's adapters for mini-toslink if you don't have a cable too but I just went ahead and ordered the cable since it was so cheap anyways

EDIT: I see a lot of you guys are looking to buy one. Just get the SU-DH1 from here:

http://www.audiocubes.com/category/...ct/JVC_SU-DH1_Surround_Headphone_Adapter.html

Audiocubes is a very reliable company and the unit they sell is also the Japanese version with the AC adapter port (removed from the U.S. version for some stupid reason). It's also not overpriced and only 10 bucks more than that ebay auction.

If you want the adapter (very expensive), get it from here:

http://store.aikotradingstore.com/jvcsuacpoad.html

Only place online that I could find that shipped to the U.S. Can't vouch for the company though since I opted for the rechargeable battery route. Which btw if you do decide to get rechargeable batteries. I highly recommend Sanyo Eneloops. You can find them at Circuit City or online. Read some reviews too; they're overwhelmingly positive.
nice, thanks for all the info and links.

BirdFlu said:
They work with any standard headphones. Although to get the best out of the unit, you should really invest in some nicer ones. I myself am using Bose Triports. Although the quality is fine, I'm about to invest in some Audio Technica ATH-A900s myself.

Thank you kind sir. Just so I am completely clear, I would also need to invest in something like monoprice cable you linked to earlier to connect it to a 360? I appreciate the assistance, I had no clue that a device like this existed. I love surround sound but the Mrs. was never quite as appreciative in our small dwelling spaces. :)

BirdFlu

Banned
monkspider said:
Thank you kind sir. Just so I am completely clear, I would also need to invest in something like monoprice cable you linked to earlier to connect it to a 360? I appreciate the assistance, I had no clue that a device like this existed. I love surround sound but the Mrs. was never quite as appreciative in our small dwelling spaces. :)

I'm in the exact same situation as you are since I live in an apartment complex. When I first stumbled on this thread, it was an eye-opener

But to answer your question, yeah you would need an optical cable with one standard Toslink male connector on one end and one mini-Toslink male connector on the other end. Or if you have an optical cable already with two male Toslink connectors on both ends, you can opt to get an adapter such as this one:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10423&cs_id=1042301&p_id=2671&seq=1&format=2

Xirj

Stereo quality headphones >>>> 5.1 headphones anyday. I guarantee Rez HD will be more immersive on a set of KSC75's than any 5.1 headphone out there, especially if driven through a decent cheap amp like a Cmoy or a PA2v2.

Also glad to see some head-fi.org recognition going around. :D

Chrono

Banned
Xirj said:
Stereo quality headphones >>>> 5.1 headphones anyday. I guarantee Rez HD will be more immersive on a set of KSC75's than any 5.1 headphone out there, especially if driven through a decent cheap amp like a Cmoy or a PA2v2.

Also glad to see some head-fi.org recognition going around. :D

Quality 5.1 headphones >>>> quality stereo headphones. If you read the thread you'd know nobody's recommending actual 5.1 headphones but virtualization technology for stereo headphones, like dolby headphone.

Twix

L0st Id3ntity said:
Good choice?

6lta042.gif

bune duggy said:
one final question before I order one of those from that audiocubes site: when I get it, will it come with the AC adapter or will I have to find one?
this again. I can make do with batteries if the drain isn't too bad I guess but I'd really like to know.

kbear

I need some help. I just want some wireless headphones that will make the sound from my TV speakers into the headphones. Doesn't need to be 5.1. Would a setup like this work:

Bluetooth® Home Stereo Adapter DC800

+

one of these headphones:
S805 http://direct.motorola.com/ens/s805/Headset_Home.asp?country=USA&language=ENS
HT820 http://direct.motorola.com/ens/BTStereoHS_Web_ProductHome.asp?country=USA&language=ENS
S9 http://direct.motorola.com/ens/s9/Headset_Home.asp

I don't have a stereo system or any kind of sound system... the sound comes straight from my TV speakers. So would that Adapter thing work? So I plug it into an audio jack in my TV and then one of those headphones will recognize it and the sound will be coming to the headphones and not out of the tv speaker?

edit, this is mainly for playing games for my PS3

Baryn

Banned
I have learned SO much from this thread. Definitely getting 5.1 headphones as my next home theater purchase.

/bookmark'd

L0st Id3ntity said:
One last bump.

I've just ordered the Beyerdynamic DT 250 (after a LOT of researching) + the JVC SU-DH1 adapter.

Good choice?
I still need confirmation, I've already placed an order, but there is still time to cancel it.

21EpS3ZMezL._AA200_.jpg

Beyerdynamic DT 250

Are these as good as I've read about them? Anything better out there for around 150$?

I just wanted to put in a good word for the Sennheiser 280pros.

These cans have amazing sound quality, even though they're closed. I find them perfect for my needs because trams are inordinately noisy and these cans completely block it out. (I have a low noise threshold and cannot therefore turn music up loader to compensate. Besides ones does not want to go deaf, no?)

They're also really good with portable devices. I use a Creative MP3 for voice recording, but the music has clear bass and rich tones through the 280pros. It's also perfect for PSP and DS.

Of course, they sound SPECTACULAR when hooked up to something more powerful than a portable device, though some people prefer the 555s.

I'm also very interested in this JVC SU-DH1 device. I might have to track one down...

BirdFlu

Banned
L0st Id3ntity said:
I still need confirmation, I've already placed an order, but there is still time to cancel it.

21EpS3ZMezL._AA200_.jpg

Beyerdynamic DT 250

Are these as good as I've read about them? Anything better out there for around 150$?

You should really consider getting the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 instead. They retail for $200 but you can find them in sale for around $150. They're some of the best non-amp driven headphones out there.

Fongul

I see all the love for the SU-DH1, but I'm curious as to why Sony's MDR-DS1000 is not getting as much attention. I've owned this unit for a little more than a year and use them to game after my wife goes to sleep. I've ditched the headphones that the unit came with to use them with my Sennheiser 570's. Monster Hunter 2 Freedom is awesome with the unit, along with my X360 library (Ridge Racer 6 for the win :D)

I'm still curious if the experience with the SU-DH1 is better. If anyone has experience using both units, please post your impressions.

The Sony unit can be found here. You can get them cheaper from other sources, but I wound up applying for the Sony Card & getting them for $29 (you get a credit of $100 off your first purchase with the Sony Card)

kbear

Fongul said:
I see all the love for the SU-DH1, but I'm curious as to why Sony's MDR-DS1000 is not getting as much attention. I've owned this unit for a little more than a year and use them to game after my wife goes to sleep. I've ditched the headphones that the unit came with to use them with my Sennheiser 570's. Monster Hunter 2 Freedom is awesome with the unit, along with my X360 library (Ridge Racer 6 for the win :D)

I'm still curious if the experience with the SU-DH1 is better. If anyone has experience using both units, please post your impressions.

The Sony unit can be found here. You can get them cheaper from other sources, but I wound up applying for the Sony Card & getting them for $29 (you get a credit of $100 off your first purchase with the Sony Card)
That's perfect, except I'm looking for a wireless solution. Is there anything like that but wireless/bluetooth? and around the same price

LJ11

Fongul said:

Does the Sony have Dolby Headphone? I think that's the main difference between the two.

Sushen

Chrono said:
Quality 5.1 headphones >>>> quality stereo headphones. If you read the thread you'd know nobody's recommending actual 5.1 headphones but virtualization technology for stereo headphones, like dolby headphone.
I would recommend actual 5.1 headphones. I hate those virtualization crap; it never works. The one I got has tiny speakers in each cup and it works rather great. Playing FPSs with DD support is as good as it goes without having actual surround sound system; it's so awesome. Playing COD4 with the headphones on helps me keeping track of enemy's whereabouts.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Dragona Akehi said:

These cans have amazing sound quality, even though they're closed. I find them perfect for my needs because trams are inordinately noisy and these cans completely block it out. (I have a low noise threshold and cannot therefore turn music up loader to compensate. Besides ones does not want to go deaf, no?)

They're also really good with portable devices. I use a Creative MP3 for voice recording, but the music has clear bass and rich tones through the 280pros. It's also perfect for PSP and DS.

Of course, they sound SPECTACULAR when hooked up to something more powerful than a portable device, though some people prefer the 555s.

I'm also very interested in this JVC SU-DH1 device. I might have to track one down...

I just bought the 280 Pros an hour ago. Amazon has them on the cheap.

Sushen said:
I would recommend actual 5.1 headphones. I hate those virtualization crap; it never works. The one I got has tiny speakers in each cup and it works rather great. Playing FPSs with DD support is as good as it goes without having actual surround sound system; it's so awesome. Playing COD4 with the headphones on helps me keeping track of enemy's whereabouts.
What 5.1 headphones you have?

Luckyman

Banned
Sushen said:

Sorry, there is a reason why *real* brands are not doing 5.1 headphones.

Dolby Headphone with quality stereo headphones is as good as it gets.

kiun

Luckyman said:
Sorry, there is a reason why *real* brands are not doing 5.1 headphones.

Dolby Headphone with quality stereo headphones is as good as it gets.

Never tried 5.1 headphones, but I'm very satisfied with my SU-DH1 + Sennheiser 595 combo.

Flynn

Maybe you guys can help me out too.

I'm looking for cheap and sturdy gaming USB headphones.

My problem is that I go through a pair of headphones w/mic every six months, either the internal connections get loose or the actual headgear breaks somewhere. Maybe it's because I've got a big head. Don't know. But all I know is that I don't want to spend $50 on headphones that are going to be broken in four months.

I bought a pair of Rocketfish from Best Buy and they're falling apart, so I'm definitely in the market.

Davidion

kbear said:
That's perfect, except I'm looking for a wireless solution. Is there anything like that but wireless/bluetooth? and around the same price

With wireless/bluetooth solutions you are immediately looking at both of the following: a) loss in sound quality and b) big increase in price. I would look into getting a Sennheiser wireless setup if you HAVE to go that route but heed the warning.

Dragona Akehi said:

If you enjoy the 280 pros (which I have and love, it being my first pair of studio/reference-grade headphones), for the same price range you can also consider the Sony MDR7506's. Though portable audiophiles never talk about them for some reason, they sound absolutely fantastic, have excellent range (I feel they're slightly brighter and has a much punchier bass than the 280's), decent soundstage and great clarity. They are also closed for public use and are standard equipment for both the studio and street crew set.

My only criticism of the 280's is that they're a bit too neutral and lacking on the lower freq's. That and they're a little flimsy for someone like me with a big head. Otherwise they're great.

Flynn said:
Maybe you guys can help me out too.

I'm looking for cheap and sturdy gaming USB headphones.

My problem is that I go through a pair of headphones w/mic every six months, either the internal connections get loose or the actual headgear breaks somewhere. Maybe it's because I've got a big head. Don't know. But all I know is that I don't want to spend $50 on headphones that are going to be broken in four months.

I bought a pair of Rocketfish from Best Buy and they're falling apart, so I'm definitely in the market.

I'd avoid USB and aim for regular TRS (standard 1/8 inch headphone plugs) cans. Are you looking for a headset or a regular pair of headphone w/o mic?

L0st Id3ntity said:
Does the JVC SU-DH1 run 250ohm headphones fine?

It depends on your source, though if you're buying new, there are many low impedance cans to choose from so I'd avoid a 250ohm paid of headphones unless you have a dedicated amp.

Sometimes I look at my game collection and think about how many pairs of headphones I could have bought instead...........:(

Kordos

I have the Tritton AX360

The biggest issue is that the primary left / right speakers are large diameter, while the left-front and left-back speakers are much much smaller.

This means that in a 3d game, the tonal qualities of a source will get really "tinny" as you turn to face them (or turn away from them) - things only sound normal when they are directly to your left or right.

There are some other nitpicky issues (a small amount of high frequency digital noise), but the deltas in frequency response between the main L/R and the secondary 5.1 speakers is a fundamental flaw for me, and is a dealbreaker.

Instead, I've ended up just using the AX360s in standard stereo mode. Good enough for now.

The Sennheisers are on their way, the SU-DH1 is on its way from Audiocubes, but monoprice is out of the cables. sheesh. :lol

and yeah, I'd just like to reiterate what lambchop is asking because I don't want to go to rough a pack of batteries a week (nor recharge a pack of batteries every two days). What's the information I need to go to Goodwill and pick up an AC adapter from there? Specifically, what numbers am I looking for and in what order? Thanks.

traveler

Not Wario
So, I'm debating between the 280 Pros and the Sennheiser 555s. I've seen recommendations for both, but how do they compare?

Flynn

Davidion said:
I'd avoid USB and aim for regular TRS (standard 1/8 inch headphone plugs) cans. Are you looking for a headset or a regular pair of headphone w/o mic?

My desktop is an HP Pavillion, which has a difficult time recognizing when headphones are plugged in -- that's why I tend to lean towards USB headsets. I wound up grabbing a flimsy pair of Plantronics for around $40 bucks. Maybe they'll give more than the bigger headsets and not break as easily.

sun-drop

could some one with the AC adaptor take a quick measurement of the plug bit which goes into the SU-DH1 ?

that should be all the info i need i guess other than whats mentioned already.

mine just shipped (I love time zones: Your item left OSAKA INT, JAPAN on February 9, 2008. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.). I should get it on the 12th I guess if your shipping is any indication.

it looks like the MiniDisc player I used to have. :lol

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Nice to see this thread is still alive. I'm still very happy with my su-dh1. Just need to upgrade my headphones now that I have some spare cash.

Feint331

i own audiotechnica ath-a500 and ad900. i run my 360 through my pc with the xfi-music. i can't afford and don't have the room for full hometheatre speakers (not that my neighbours would approve anyway). they work great especially in online games like cod4/r6v you hear more through headphones.

Top Bottom