• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Kyaw

Minsc said:
There's been some mention @ GOG forums of the new patch breaking DOF entirely on both ATI and nVidia (would explain some of the framerate boost). Anyone here notice DOF stop working?

It was said not to work even after restoring settings in the inis.

DOF works fine for me. Just that i think my frames are a bit lower than before patch.
GoG version here.

Aurarian

I actually got a better min/max/avg framerate with the 270.61 driver than the beta NVIDIA 275.27 driver. =/ I was really hoping to run this game at 60 FPS on high with most stuff turned on but it doesn't seem like that's gonna happen unless CDR has some more tricks or new drivers from NVIDIA.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Got the patch. Performance is the same in Flotsam with all the same settings as before, down to 28-30 fps in certain areas like the gallows. Still getting the Samum bomb bug where they don't appear in my inventory. Still getting the black screen bug when trying to complete the incense quest a certain way. Got a random crash with no error or anything, the window just closed, in the area with the kayran when I'm there with Triss and she teleports away (I was loading different save points to test this).

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Ploid 3.0 said:
b5ecdc71086d3338e78a98d183a5e958aae8c935.jpg

Select it, then hit enable button, and test vibration just to be sure.

I know how to enable it, but I mean in-game how can I change the control scheme? Like setting attack to R1 instead of R2?

Varna

DOF is fine for me... LOD is messed up though. Changing settings does nothing. Don't really notice any FPS boost.

EDIT: Does anyone have that custom .ini someone around here posted?

Aeana

I didn't really pay much attention since I didn't play a lot before the patch, but DOF is definitely there in cutscenes. In gameplay, though... I don't think I notice any.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Varna said:
DOF is fine for me... LOD is messed up though. Changing settings does nothing. Don't really notice any FPS boost.
Try using high/ultra preset then changing your settings. I heard the High/Ultra pre-sets affect LoD detail. So Normal LoD on "Normal spec" is worse than Normal LoD on Ultra-spec.

IIRC I read something like that! Might just have been a crazy theory, but try it!

Alexios

Varna said:
Start with the High or Ultra preset then lower your settings accordingly (if you do). Starting with the Low or Medium preset changes LOD settings that aren't available in the advanced options so no matter what you adjust there it will always be too low/near for certain things (like, the roads in Flotsam will be changing LOD a few feet ahead).

@above it's not a crazy theory it's been confirmed, I was the first to mention it in this thread. I confirmed it pre-patch that is, I doubt anything was changed for it though.

Varna

Alextended said:
Start with the High or Ultra preset then lower your settings accordingly (if you do). Starting with the Low or Medium preset changes LOD settings that aren't available in the advanced options so no matter what you adjust there it will always be too low/near for certain things (like, the roads in Flotsam will be changing LOD a few feet ahead).

@above it's not a crazy theory it's been confirmed, I was the first to mention it in this thread. I confirmed it pre-patch that is, I doubt anything was changed for it though.

Thanks... It still doesn't quiet look like it did before the patch to me but I might just be focusing on it too much at this point. A few yards ahead of Geralt I can just see the blurry terrain. :(

Kabuki Waq said:
guys anyone have an answer to this? I keep getting the incomplete game error when i try to install the game. look like i may have to re install the game...is there anyway i can keep my gamesaves ?

fuck me too, can anyone host the gog patch?

Alexios

Doesn't sound like your problem has to do with that setting then, it's mostly about geometry. Is sharpen enabled in your ini file?

Aeana

Seems like the patch broke the gamepad's ability to scroll text in the menu. Sad. :\
EDIT: Hmph, and the ballista can't be aimed with the gamepad either. Whatever, I guess... guess I'll have to switch to keyboard/mouse.

MrOogieBoogie said:
I know how to enable it, but I mean in-game how can I change the control scheme? Like setting attack to R1 instead of R2?

I think you click 'options' in the area that you highlighted in the picture. iirc that lets you remap controls.

Varna

Alextended said:
Doesn't sound like your problem has to do with that setting then, it's mostly about geometry. Is sharpen enabled in your ini file?

Yes. It's mostly terrible looking in chapter 3. With all the little rocks and scrubs the pop-in becomes really terrible looking. I just finished the game yesterday and it definitely did not look like this.

Kyaw

Saren is Bad said:
fuck me too, can anyone host the gog patch?

here you go: http://www.mediafire.com/?05tvaocql21scj5

Varna said:
Thanks... It still doesn't quiet look like it did before the patch to me but I might just be focusing on it too much at this point. A few yards ahead of Geralt I can just see the blurry terrain. :(

Go to My Documents > The Witcher 2 > Config > User.txt

TextureMemoryBudget=1000

Use that. Mine was set at 100 after patch and all the textures were loading really slow.
Try it and see if it works.

gdt

Siiiiick, just got Motionjoy working, the game controls flawlessly on a pad. Only wish that when you lock on the camera follows the target. That should be put in a patch, as an option at least.

Kyaw

You might have to reinstall the game. :/

Game patches automatically apparently if you reinstall.

2. If you are installing the game for the first time or re-installing it, the game will automatically patch online to version 1.1 during installation.

The installation program will ask you for an activation code. However, as the game is now DRM-free, you can enter anything in the relevant field.
Installation and patching will proceed automatically. No further activation will be required.
If auto-patching during installation does not work for any reason, download the patch manually, based on your region/version by selecting one of the links below, then run the .exe file to update your copy of the game.

http://en.thewitcher.com/patch/

gdt

Oh, one motionjoy question! When I bring up the radial, I can't like, select anything. It should work like any other radial, right? I'm still in the prologue. Just wondering if there's a bug or something, or radial doesn't do anything yet.

Minsc

Gold Member
Sucks to hear about the Journal. TBH, it was pretty broken though, I absolute hate (hate hate hate) how you can't tell what's new because the new icon disappears before you can even see it when you have to scroll down the list. It should remain until you view the item and exit the journal.

You also should step back to the main menu, not the game when canceling out of a sub-item. Another thing I gets fixed soon.

Kabuki Waq said:
guys anyone have an answer to this? I keep getting the incomplete game error when i try to install the game. look like i may have to re install the game...is there anyway i can keep my gamesaves ?

If you swapped your exes before, you'll need to restore them back to their originals for the patch to work I'd guess. If you no longer have the originals, that means uninstall / reinstall.

Aeana

gdt5016 said:
Oh, one motionjoy question! When I bring up the radial, I can't like, select anything. It should work like any other radial, right? I'm still in the prologue. Just wondering if there's a bug or something, or radial doesn't do anything yet.
You can use the dpad to select some stuff in the radial, but... it looks like they broke analog stick support for the menus with this patch. I can't do anything with the sticks in the menus like I could before. And in the prologue when you have to aim the ballista, I can't aim with the sticks at all. I'm pretty upset about this.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
How big is this patch? I just got home, fired up Steam, and it says 9 gigs is waiting to be downloaded. That can't be right.

Varna

Kyaw said:
Go to My Documents > The Witcher 2 > Config > User.txt

TextureMemoryBudget=1000

Use that. Mine was set at 100 after patch and all the textures were loading really slow.
Try it and see if it works.

First thing I did. No good. :(

gdt

Aeana said:
You can use the dpad to select some stuff in the radial, but... it looks like they broke analog stick support for the menus with this patch. I can't do anything with the sticks in the menus like I could before. And in the prologue when you have to aim the ballista, I can't aim with the sticks at all. I'm pretty upset about this.

Oh, wow. That's awful. The bit I tried to play with a kb+m sucked for me, but the gamepad support is a dream. Hopefully it's fixed before I start the game, I'm in Chapter IV of The Witcher 1!

Kyaw

Varna said:
First thing I did. No good. :(

Try this config:

AllowAntialias=1
AllowBloom=0
AllowBlur=0
AllowCutsceneDOF=0
AllowDOF=1
AllowDecals=1.0
AllowMotionBlur=0
AllowRain=1
AllowSSAO=1
AllowScatterDOF=0
AllowShafts=1
AllowSharpen=1
AllowVignette=1
AtlasTextureDownscale=0
DanglesLimiter=0
DetailTextureDownscale=0
Fullscreen=1
MaxAtlasTextureSize=4096
MaxCubeShadowCount=1
MaxCubeShadowSize=1024
MaxSpotShadowCount=3
MaxSpotShadowSize=1024
MaxTextureSize=2048
MeshDistanceScale=1.0
ShadowQuality=3
ShadowedLights=3
TextureDownscale=0
TextureMemoryBudget=1000
UberSampling=0
VSync=0

If that doesnt work... all is lost D:
Lemme go dig up that old config.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
graywolf323 said:
so all versions are DRM free? well that didn't take very long

so the Steam version also had the third party DRM removed?

It never had 3rd party DRM.

rabhw

My DOF still works after the patch. Using the 11.5b hotfix drivers. The lighting bug from these drivers is still there, and the LOD is still terrible. Observe the giant tree that pops into view.

Before:
C31A3718ED34010EA2398DBB117E2742669CB5BA

After (one step forward):
9D495906CC48E26A3D7E9E87A9A0A11320FF1DB5

Rufus

GuiltybyAssociation said:
How big is this patch? I just got home, fired up Steam, and it says 9 gigs is waiting to be downloaded. That can't be right.
It is, sadly. The files that need to be patched are in one big archive, which can only be updated by downloading a new version of the entire archive. I don't see how they expect people to do that every time they patch the game. It's a limitation of Steam, sure, but it must have come up at some point at CDPR, surely...

Aeana said:
Seems like the patch broke the gamepad's ability to scroll text in the menu. Sad. :\
EDIT: Hmph, and the ballista can't be aimed with the gamepad either. Whatever, I guess... guess I'll have to switch to keyboard/mouse.
Hint for when you switch: You can use the arrow keys to aim and space to fire the ballista, MUCH better than aiming with the mouse.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
graywolf323 said:
the Steam version supposedly had SecuROM as well

It had the files contained within, but they didn't actually do anything.

Hence why Steam users didn't get an FPS boost from the GOG.exe.

Xdrive05

The patch is version 1.1, right? I ask because I reinstalled (downloaded patch would not work), and the auto-patcher only downloaded like 15mb worth of files. Just making sure I'm on the right version now. :)

Kyaw

Here is the config that was posted a while ago by boobphysics:

FoliageDistanceScale=1.1
Fullscreen=1
MaxAtlasTextureSize=4096
MaxCubeShadowCount=2
MaxCubeShadowSize=1024
MaxSpotShadowCount=3
MaxSpotShadowSize=1024
MaxTextureSize=2048
MeshDistanceScale=1.3
ShadowQuality=3
ShadowedLights=3
TextureDownscale=0
TextureMemoryBudget=1000 <--- Change to 1500 if you have the 3GB GTX 580
TextureTimeBudget=10
UberSampling=0
VSync=0

Xdrive05 said:
The patch is version 1.1, right? I ask because I reinstalled (downloaded patch would not work), and the auto-patcher only downloaded like 15mb worth of files. Just making sure I'm on the right version now. :)

Correct. :)

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Rufus said:
It is, sadly. The files that need to be patched are in one big archive, which can only be updated by downloading a new version of the entire archive. I don't see how they expect people to do that every time they patch the game. It's a limitation of Steam, sure, but it must have come up at some point at CDPR, surely...

Urgh, I had to redownload the game yesterday as it was. Oh well, play something else in the meantime. :/

gdt

Basileus777 said:
Is there a framerate improvement from the patch for those already using the GOG non DRM version?

A bit. Raised my ceiling a bit, but mostly just stabilized it. For me, anyway.

LiK

just finished TW1 but i see that a second patch is in the works. maybe i'll wait for that before buying TW2. kinda wanna play it with the least amount of issues.

burgerdog

So with the amd hotfix and the steam patch I received a nice 10fps boost during the prologue. 1920x1080 Ultra with everything enabled except for uber, bloom, and aa
e8400 stock
4gb ram w7 32bit
6870 1gb

Perfect time for a second playthrough.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So I found the culprit for some issues I had. I had set the texture memory budget to very high. Apparently too high for a 1gB GPU, high works much better :).

I was so confused when I got mad microstuttering and constant black loading screens and mad texture pop in. On high it's so much better, don't notice texture pop in and it doesn't take full on 16 seconds for the textures to load in the inn, more like 0 seconds :D! Now I'm ready to enjoy the fuck out of this game after school's finished.

gdt

Easy_D said:
So I found the culprit for some issues I had. I had set the texture memory budget to very high. Apparently too high for a 1gB GPU, high works much better :).

I was so confused when I got mad microstuttering and constant black loading screens and mad texture pop in. On high it's so much better, don't notice texture pop in and it doesn't take full on 16 seconds for the textures to load in the inn, more like 0 seconds :D! Now I'm ready to enjoy the fuck out of this game after school's finished.

Oh?

I have it set to very high too, I remember reading even that was conservative for a 1gb graphics card.

Varna

Kyaw said:
Here is the config that was posted a while ago by boobphysics:

Thank you. Do those extra commands actually do anything? Did not fix my issues sadly. :(

Did some quick fraps recordings...

Notice the plant... doesn't even change.. just kind of flickers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnFx2fTKt-I

Same deal with the rocks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkCADNdEKQ0

And this just looks horrible.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8MbVDyrZDs

rabhw said:
Better example:
Same issue I'm having. Your on an ATI card though aren't you? Was yours caused by the hotfix or new patch?

Top Bottom