• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think I either hacked the Wii U Miiverse or I am stupid.

evanmisha

Anyone else remember SPORTS PACK for REVOLUTION? Nintendo left derpy shit like that floating around in the ether this entire generation.

That and Soul Hacker's inclusion make me think this list isn't just something the Hatena guys whipped up.

Are these all games that will eventually see release? I doubt it. 'resident evils' is probably just some Capcom guys testing out an RE6 build, for example. 'suicide' could be a tech demo, or maybe a remote bricking app... There's really no way to tell.

Cyrano

That's a whole lot of tl;dr to overlook the "display shop/mockup fullscreen, take a phone pic" method.
Doesn't account for that wave on the screen in the first pic, which is indicative of TV scanlines.

I'm not sure what kind of screen the touchpad has, so it's hard to say if it's real or not, but from the analyzed pics it doesn't look as real as the first pic. Doesn't mean that it's not though. Shopped images tend to have pretty obvious indicators. Again, metadata being an obvious one (of which neither of these indicate anything glaringly obvious, other than that the second is compressed).

hemo memo

Gold Member
For those of you just joining us...

j70kjLPqgxG7p.jpg

We are ALL going to jail.

But before we do, our story allegedly began when our hapless OP, Trike, pressed the "X" button on his WiiU controller while highlighting the "Close" option the online service MiiVerse. This brought up strange options, and seemingly otherwise inaccessible discussions and message boards, some for games that hadn't even been announced.

GAF was quite doubtful of this claim, but Trike continued to provide updates, alleging that someone on the boards stated that some big announcements for the WiiU would be made on December 10. Trike even provided photographic evidence of his accidental "hacking".

While some were still doubtful if Trike was telling the absolute truth, it certainly seemed as if something had occurred. Unfortunately, the OP claimed Nintendo fixed the exploit and he could no longer access his secret options. Also, he claimed that he had been told to cease his actions by a certain someone.

With sites such as Kotaku reporting the incident, still nobody seems exactly sure what transpired.

Was this all a hoax? Were the games listed just random placeholders, or perhaps an accumulation of frequently talked about titles? Did Trike really uncover games Nintendo had been keeping secret? Will Nintendo fire someone's ass? Only time will tell.

Sorry if I didn't get it quite right. This is a big damn thread.

Episode 1

Zissou

Damn. I guess time will tell how accurate this info is. Nintendo really hasn't got their shit together security-wise if this is indeed not a hoax.

Reading that first page is like "I'm not going to fuck with the Ninja's publicly." I mean... their method of assassination is lawsuit.

Also... BWUAHAHAHHHAAHAHAHAA!

Nintendo.

Shining

This thread! I was lying in bed getting ready to sleep when OP was just about to post some proof. "Just a couple of more minutes" i thought to myself. Yeah, right! My gf got quite annoyed the third time i woke her up with my hysterical laughter. Dat Reggie gif <3

Mandoric

Banned
Doesn't account for that wave on the screen in the first pic, which is indicative of TV scanlines.

I'm not sure what kind of screen the touchpad has, so it's hard to say if it's real or not, but from the analyzed pics it doesn't look as real as the first pic. Doesn't mean that it's not though. Shopped images tend to have pretty obvious indicators. Again, metadata being an obvious one (of which neither of these indicate anything glaringly obvious, other than that the second is compressed).

I'm sorry, is it impossible now to plug a computer into a TV, or for that matter just view an image in the Wii U browser?

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Since Miiverse is apparently web based (html5 I am guessing), it's entirely conceivable that they could have patched it out without an update (even in client side code). The items listed in the debug test menu are also very much in line with such technology (JavaScript console, etc).

Now since that would mean that the wii u is actually downloading java script sources, things could eventually get really interesting from a home brew perspective.

ChaosXVI

This is...this is fucking insane! How could this happen!? I expected Nintendo to have to growing pains adjusting to a big online network, but not this...

Still, this is quite possibly the largest Nintendo leak/error in its history, the ninjas will descend upon GAF for this.

...on a side-note, Yoshi's Island Wii U was rumored to be what Retro was working on for awhile, perhaps there was some truth to that after all...

Ydahs

Haha, that's easily one of the best tags on GAF given the context. The thread title is also amazing.

To those saying you're not going to update your WiiU now: the Miiiverse is all server-side. You're basically just loading a web page so it's already been patched on their end.

You'd think Nintendo would have a deployment checklist with "DISABLE TEST MODE" written in size 24 Comic Sans, highlighted in red, right at the top of the list. Apparently not.

I wonder if I ever will become a legendary member like Trike.
Just spend a few hours similarly dicking around on the Miiverse menu and then come back to us when you've suddenly been granted administrator access to Nintendo of Japan's servers.

Also came home to this thread earlier, easily made my night. Hope for the best since I'll likely get the system sometime next year but damn this is a rougher launch than I was expecting.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Nice to see Trike got a tag after all. This thread was worth the lack of sleep even if it did cause half of Gaming Side to go loco.

Jackano

Entertaining thread just right off the bed!
Only time will tell for the games.

But Trike, don't worry too much, Nintendo probably knows that's THEIR fault at first, and probably won't return against you. This will be a very bad move of their own in term of communication toward their fans.

Jay Sosa

And this is why I love GAF. Wow, just wow. Good job trike! I will send you some money to help post your bail ;D

and thanks for the summary Mandrake!

sakipon

But Trike, don't worry too much, Nintendo probably knows that's THEIR fault at first, and probably won't return against you. This will be a very bad move of their own in term of communication toward their fans.

If the 'hacking' was as easy as pressing a button on the controller then yes, they know it's their fault. It'd be embarassing for them to take serious action on it.

dc89

Incredible thread. Such a lax job on the security by Nintendo. It was as simple as a button push whilst hovering over an icon?!

Top Bottom