• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Kokonoe

Banned
Man, the hate for Origin is so strong and irrational. Just announcing that, I had to do damage control over nothing.

You just mention the name, and everyone freaks out. They instantly and emotionally forget that Skullgirls is coming to every downloadable service, assume it's not exclusive, say gaming is dead, etc.

Steam, Origin, Gamestop PC Downloads, GamersGate and GameFly, people!

FUN FACT: My first job in this side of the industry was being an intern at Origin Systems, so this has weird personal context for me.

People just need to learn to stop tying their emotions to their video game purchases when it really doesn't make sense too.

I don't use Origin and only use Steam, but everyone should have their own opportunity to create their own service. It's like damning SEGA for making the Master System, or Sony for the Playstation.

joe2187

Banned
Man, the hate for Origin is so strong and irrational. Just announcing that, I had to do damage control over nothing.

You just mention the name, and everyone freaks out. They instantly and emotionally forget that Skullgirls is coming to every downloadable service, assume it's not exclusive, say gaming is dead, etc.

FUN FACT: My first job in this side of the industry was being an intern at Origin Systems, so this has weird personal context for me.

Seems like the internet makes people forget how to read full articles or paragraphs before they start overreacting.

Cant wait to see more about the PC release...

Stream seems to be a bit...late?

alstein

A bad rep can kill a DD store even if it's solid- look at what the Gamestop name did to Impulse.

I just hope this game has reasonable DRM, I'll double dip if it's DRM-free/reasonable DRM , probably not if it doesn't.

Nabs

EA created their own reputation which carried over to Origin. Easily explainable.

Yeah. You need to earn a lot of trust when it comes to DD.

Anywho, it seems that Mike confirmed Steamworks support during the stream (well, that's what it sounded like). That would be great for patching and having everyone updated. You can even push through beta patches for the community to test if you'd like (like Skyrim and Shogun 2).

Is there a rough release window yet?

I saw the mixup archive from a couple of days ago and the free costume DLC is neato(Zero suit Parasoul ftw). The extra changes Mike showed off are all good stuff as usual. It's crazy that you guys have been putting so much work into the game post release this way. I just have a hard time believing that so much can be crammed in after dealing with five months of silence on Vanilla MvC3. I want that patch so bad already!

http://shoryuken.com/2012/06/04/near-final-skullgirls-patch-change-list-from-mike-z-at-the-mix-up/

global patch changes only said:
Global Changes

First set of DLC colors is coming for free. Three new colors for everyone.
A bug involving coming in the wrong way after death has been fixed.
5 frame chain buffer has been applied to jump and double jump cancels too.
Move Lists have been created.

Sparring mode now loads the exact game state of when you turned it on when you turn it off.
Input display has been entered, still buggy. It includes inputs on the bottom of the screen and a “custom assist” stick and button real time layout.
PS3 Matchmaking has been adjusted.
Xbox 360 loading times have been addressed.
IPS no longer carries over in one frame “uncombos.”
The screen now flashes and a sound plays when you find a match online.
Gamertags worked on being included in online mode.
Difficulty levels have been adjusted and tweaked.
Ranked will now be blind pick.
Unranked will let you see your opponent selecting your custom assist.
New tutorials are being worked on… though they aren’t the tutorials we are expecting.
Fake edit: Gotta check today's footage next.
EA has built quite the reputation. I hear Origin is okay, but I wouldn't want an EA service installed on my computer.

That is pretty stupid of them. All I needed to hear was "no GFWL" and availability on several non Origin DD stores to become a day -1 customer. Throwing Origin into the mix just means more sales for you guys and I have no problem with that.
I'm watching you closely now!
I just hope this game has reasonable DRM, I'll double dip if it's DRM-free/reasonable DRM , probably not if it doesn't.
What could be worse than GFWL? A 5 machine activation limit?

alstein

Skullgirls might require Starforce. ^_^

I suspect this will end up Steamworks DRM for the online services/online play (which is reasonable if it's used for that) I'm not a Steam zealot by any means, and I'd likely buy on Gamersgate , but I don't have a problem with it.

I really wish we had cross-platform DLC as an option.

Jumped online for the first time today and got destroyed (ranked, unranked was pretty barren it seemed).

I think it's going to take quite a bit of training before I get in the groove with this game lol.

UncleBiz

I loved the art and music for this game so I decided to get it. It's one of the first fighters I've played except for some Super Smash Bros and MvC2. What's the best way to learn so I don't get stomped every game? I've done the tutorials so I know the basics, but I feel like I'm missing a bunch.

I loved the art and music for this game so I decided to get it. It's one of the first fighters I've played except for some Super Smash Bros and MvC2. What's the best way to learn so I don't get stomped every game? I've done the tutorials so I know the basics, but I feel like I'm missing a bunch.
*Run through the tutorials once more. Pay special attention to the defense and tick throw tutorials. Check your buttons and learn all the motions/inputs thoroughly. Avoid using more than two characters. Map your favorite functions(dash, grab, etc.) using the macros. One button dash/grab can be useful.
*Learn some basic midscreen and corner combos. Stick with the basic stuff.
*Use strong but basic characters with solid assists like Parasoul, Peacock or Filia. Avoid Painwheel if you are not high execution. Don't let Double's hornet bomber spoil you if you pick her.
*Best time for resets is after an air combo when you get them back to the ground. Learn to OTG and relaunch. Everyone in this game can OTG with normals unlike Marvel. Learn to use those for solid combos into resets too. Grab resets are easy to pull off and fairly easy to combo afterwards.
*Avoid anything more than a duo. It can be daunting to learn three characters in a team game with a huge number of assists. Pick up another one later once you are well acquainted with fighting game lingo and mechanics.

Really pay attention to the defense tutorial, learn tick throws/grab resets and stick to basic characters/combos. Low block if they are on the ground with you. High block once they jump into the air. Don't just normally block on the ground or you will get hit with a low.

I can't say much else until you actually pick a team.

*Run through the tutorials once more. Pay special attention to the defense and tick throw tutorials. Check your buttons and learn all the motions/inputs thoroughly. Avoid using more than two characters. Map your favorite functions(dash, grab, etc.) using the macros. One button dash/grab can be useful.
*Use strong but basic characters with solid assists like Parasoul, Peacock or Filia. Avoid Painwheel if you are not high execution. Don't let Double's hornet bomber spoil you if you pick her.
*Best time for resets is after an air combo when you get them back to the ground. Learn to OTG and relaunch. Everyone in this game can OTG with normals unlike Marvel. Learn to use those for solid combos into resets too. Grab resets are easy to pull off and fairly easy to combo afterwards.
*Avoid anything more than a duo. It can be daunting to learn three characters in a team game with a huge number of assists. Pick up another one later once you are well acquainted with fighting game lingo and mechanics.

Really pay attention to the defense tutorial, learn tick throws/grab resets and stick to basic characters/combos. Low block if they are on the ground with you. High block once they jump into the air. Don't just normally block on the ground or you will get hit with a low.

I'm just about to get this after reading your post, sir.

I'm genuinely quite shit at 2d fighting games, but these seem like good tips and the tutorial is apparently quite comprehensive. Hopefully it will help me get better!

UncleBiz

I didn't even know you could change the controls like that. Thanks for this. Time to practice!

nolemite

Neo Member
I couldn't find a tier 4 match a couple nights ago. I don't get a chance to play very often so I can't wait for some matchmaking patch so I can actually fight online when I have time.

Masaki_

New Whiteboard Wednesday:

7370749342_5683eb8458_z.jpg

wat

Been playing some Melty Blood lately and coming back to SG's training mode has left me sad in comparison. You don't really value the ability to set dummy options and record features in training mode until you're put into a situation where you don't have it anymore. I remember now why I simply don't use SG's training mode as much in comparison to other fighting games. That incoming patch has left me antsy to get some real lab time in with the game.

So the patch coming in is addressing some training mode shenanigans (I'm assuming dummy options, potentially record features, and input display), its addressing some in game mechanics and making some minor tweaks to character balance. Also adding movelists and stuff ... but are we getting any sort of payed content to coincide with its release? I know we're getting 3 free DLC colors but do we have any idea whether or not this is coinciding with the payed DLC color sets?

I'm sure Ravid can't comment much on the state of the first DLC character but shouldn't she be a fair bit along by now? We know the artists had begun work on her shortly before the game was released afterall. With the confirmation from Mike that the patch includes a fix with custom inputs that enables a DLC character to function (I'm assuming it's squigly with her stance changes being the root of the problem) and the release of the patch set to post-evo ... is there any reason to get my hopes up for the DLC character coming out during / shortly after this patch?

I think it was Ravid that was playing around with the idea that they'd add a prefix to the Skullgirls name before the release of each DLC character (super, ultra, spooky, etc), with this update seemingly becoming a pretty significant update to the game in terms of fleshing out certain modes and altering game mechanics could what we think is an opportunity for the team to fix some unfortunate glitches be the gateway to our "Super Skullgirls" and our first set of downloadable content?

Edit : Quotes ~

I couldn't find a tier 4 match a couple nights ago. I don't get a chance to play very often so I can't wait for some matchmaking patch so I can actually fight online when I have time.

I find it easier to create an unranked lobby and sit to find a match than using ranked in its current form. That's another thing that's going to be addressed in the upcoming patch, there'll only be 3 matchmaking tiers.

Whee! Nice to see the return of this ... Chun-Wheel? Pain-Li?

nolemite

Neo Member
I find it easier to create an unranked lobby and sit to find a match than using ranked in its current form. That's another thing that's going to be addressed in the upcoming patch, there'll only be 3 matchmaking tiers.

Thanks for the tip! I tried it last night but it couldn't find an opponent :-/

So I played Marvel all night

MikeZ said:
Current training mode added options:
- Input Display (List / Realtime Stick / Both)
- Select Button function (Save+Load State / Dummy Record+Playback / Both At Once)
- Dummy Action (Manual / Crouch / Jump)
- Blocking (Never / After First Hit / Always / First Hit Only / Random)
- Block Type (High / Low / All)
- Pushblock (Never / After Anywhere From 1 to 10 Blocked Hits)
- Pushblock How Often (Once / Always)
- Throw Tech (Never / Always / After First Hit / Random)
- Ground Tech (Never / Forward / Backward / Random Dir)
- Escape Infinite Combos (Never / After Anywhere From 1 to 10 Burstable Hits)
- Dummy Playback (Once / Repeat / As Reversal)
- Dummy Playback Side Correction: Choose whether the dummy recording is treated as relative directions (D,DB,B) or absolute directions (Down,Down-Left,Left) when the dummy changes sides.

Basically the best training mode ever. Playback on Reversal is nothing short of fantastic and really the ONLY option that I've seen a fighting game do that this hasn't done or improved on in the process is Melty Blood's multiple replay option. Cannot wait until this patch hits.

Masaki_

Yeah, I don't think people can make any excuses anymore. Move list is in. Training mode is now complete and with the advanced features already in the game, there's no denying it's the best one right now along with VF5's.

I tried to watch the show, but I couldn't make it, hope it was archived so I can skip right to the good stuff.

Skidd

Current training mode added options:
- Input Display (List / Realtime Stick / Both)
So, this means there will be actual button prompts for the moves in training mode now?

I'm a novice, and I didn't understand half the gibberish (in the demo) without pausing and checking the controls... This would certainly help a ton.

shaowebb

That training mode looks amazing. Hopefully it helps set the standard.

THIS. A billion times over...

Some of us don't have folks to practice with so its hard to train for things like reversals, getting out of mixups, and just general response conditioning. If fighting games were just about what we did individually then it'd just be a race for the longest combo. However a lot of a fighting game is reactionary to trying to beat what another player prefers and that is where the challenge comes in.

Skullgirls gives you a training mode that lets you condition yourself against actions and circumstances you run into in matches that you normally can't experience in single player training modes in other games. This is what the genre has needed for a long time to cultivate its players and to make the game more approachable to the new recruits just picking up the game. Somebody really needs to throw Reverge a freakin' contract and some cash already. Its ridiculous how good they are and how little manpower they have to work with. If only Warner Bros or Namco would approach you...my God the licenses you could have to play with after Skullgirls...

Ravidrath

So Broken Tier just announced that they'll be selling these limited-edition, super-swank T-Shirts at Evo 2012!

There will only be 100 of each, so be sure to pick one up if you're going!

8b5e0208bfdc11e1bf341231380f8a12_7.jpg

3aa0b90abfdc11e1af7612313813f8e8_7.jpg

cd5e9afebfdd11e19894123138140d8c_7.jpg

7eb2e068bfdd11e1aebc1231381b647a_7.jpg

Nabs

Hey Rav, is July the month for the PC release? Gamersgate says July, Gamefly says 7/31. Are those just placeholder, or a reasonable date? Thanks.

I'll be at Evo... Flight is gonna make it in by ~5PM Friday, so I doubt I'll make it to the venue before 7PM, if that.

Really want one of those Parasoul shirts too, argh. I don't want to ask for dibs or anything, but I hope that some of them are staggered to sell on Saturday or something...

I'm looking forward to talking with you, Ravi! And Mike, and whoever else at Reverge will be over there. :D

Masaki_

Gonna keep an eye to see if other retailers will offer similar pre-order incentives. If not, getting this from Gamersgate and maining Parasoul.

Ravidrath

Hey Rav, is July the month for the PC release? Gamersgate says July, Gamefly says 7/31. Are those just placeholder, or a reasonable date? Thanks.

Those are just placeholder.

July is possible, but not confirmed.

Does this mean each retailer gets a different pre-order bonus?

Yeah, each retailer will get a pre-order bonus color pack. They'll all be purchasable on all the services, though, so it's really more like a $1 off if you like that character, than an exclusive or anything.

We plan to release all the color packs on PSN and XBLA the week after the patch hits, BTW.

Also, as a thanks for everyone's patience, we're giving everyone three new colors for every character with the patch, too.

Nabs

Those are just placeholder.

July is possible, but not confirmed.

Yeah, each retailer will get a pre-order bonus color pack. They'll all be purchasable on all the services, though, so it's really more like a $1 off if you like that character, than an exclusive or anything.

We plan to release all the color packs on PSN and XBLA the week after the patch hits, BTW.

Also, as a thanks for everyone's patience, we're giving everyone three new colors for every character with the patch, too.

That's good to hear, thanks.

Hey guys, we're gonna be running a SkullGirls tournament at ARK V (If you're in the area, drop by! http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.ph...he-south-jacksonville-ar.158608/#post-6810587) and I was wondering if the 360 load times issue has been fixed/patched.

How is the 360 version of the game compared to the PS3 version? Any noticeable differences that I should worry about as a tournament organizer?

The patch that addresses 360 load times has not been released as of yet. Depending on the quality of the harddrive in question the game can have noticeably longer load times and more occurrences of the hitbox glitch (doesn't effect gameplay but changes the characters to look like hitboxes for a fraction of a second) have been reported to appear.

That's it as far as I know. If possible try to run the game on either PS3 or newer 360s.

Top Bottom