• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Surge |OT| Live Die Repeat

otNqR9z.png

Site | $59.99 (PSN, Xbox One) | $49.99 (Steam)
Gameplay impressions: Totalbiscuit, Jim Sterling, GB Quicklook, SkillUp

A catastrophic event has knocked you out during the first day on the job... you wake up equipped with a heavy-grade exoskeleton, in a destroyed section of the complex. Robots gone haywire, insane augmented co-workers and rogue AI - everything wants you dead.

The Surge is an action RPG set in a world ravaged by war and global warming. The game offers a hardcore experience, with a focus on challenging, visceral melee combat. It features fresh fighting, looting and crafting mechanics, alongside a unique character progression system.

Fitted with your exo-suit and cybernetic implants, harness super-human strength to survive the CREO complex, a mega-corporation that set out to save the world. Enhance your exo-suit with near-endless combinations of armor and weapons, each with their own move sets as you slice your way through steel and flesh to loot, craft, and improve your rig. Salvage weapons and modular armour, by using the dynamic targeting system to attack and dismember limbs individually.

From lighting rigs to heavy lifters, security armor to advanced, secretive technology – mix and match equipment to suit your playstyle and overcome the adversarial and environmental challenges that plague the malfunctioning complex. Take on huge, industrial bosses in a complex gone mad and discover the truth about CREO.

VPQl9ol.gif
8NZ8BQr.gif

• Thanks to the dynamic targeting system, you can aim at your opponents' specific limbs to dismember them, in order to loot or craft the attached equipment. Go for the easy kill by hitting unarmored limbs, or attempt to claim a piece of equipment from the enemy by targeting a specific area.
  • Specialize to meet your needs - from heavy armor attached to your exo-rig to staves, axes, and heavy-lifting equipment, use CREO's cutting-edge industrial technology against the threats that lay ahead.
  • Alongside your exo-rig, you are fitted with a cognitive interface between your brain and the exo-suit, powering implants looted from enemies and the game world. Your exo-suit has a limited power output, so it'll be up to you to balance the benefits and downsides of each implant against the power requirements of your exo-suit upgrades and equipment.
6FKk1tE.png

ytw10OU.png
1c7A7Sf.png

TTLbS2g.png
KJM5Gxg.png

AHtz4Pk.png
aLeUN2s.png

d2ki4dg.png

nynt9

Great OT, More_badass. Perhaps include the SkillUp and TB impressions to give people an idea of what to expect?

Watched several hours of Cohh streaming this. Excited to finally get my hands on it this Tuesday. Curious what the reviews are going to be, a lot of the gaming personalities seemingly enjoy the game.

Jaraghan

Been watching Elajjaz play this on Twitch. Looks fun, but I think I might hold off and wait for some more impressions and reviews.

Great OT! Pretty solid game. Fun combat. Faster pace gameplay. Nice upgrades. Level design is intricate but also super confusing at times. Story seemed interesting but tappered off for me. I'd say its a fun and unique style of souls type gameplay and anyone interested should give it a try.

Archpath1

Watched cohh finish the game, it's a good souls game that brings some interesting ideas

Camera can be an issue at times, saw quite a few crashes, and odd bugs, can be quite difficult near the end(
one shot range mob
)

But looks like a nice addition over all

TheRed

Actually very interested in getting this now. Never played LotF but this seems to be at a more consistent level of quality even if it might not be mind-blowing quality it looks good.

linnu5

I'm looking forward for this one, but I don't know.. I'm still waiting for the reviews to decide if I should buy this or not.

Strings

Curious how this'll be received. I'm personally not a fan of how it looks, and am kinda baffled by there being apparently only
five
bosses in the entire thing.

someone tell me if the story is any good

Oh, I would not get my hopes up for that especially. The stuff I've seen streamed is super on the nose.

Curious how this'll be received. I'm personally not a fan of how it looks, and am kinda baffled by there being apparently only
five
bosses in the entire thing
It's not Dark Souls or a From game

Is that why people are so confused by that aspect? Because it's structured similarly to Souls, it's expected to have the same kind of enemy-to-boss ratio as a Souls?

Hexer06

I actually liked Lords of the Fallen, so I'm kinda interested in this. Will have to wait tho cuz I'm short on cash for now. :/
Awesome title for OT btw :p.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
A reminder that the PC version unlocks worldwide at 3pm PT:

t1494885600z4.png

Edit: Oh, Focus moved it forward a day. Fixed.

Strings

Is that why people are so confused by that aspect? Because it's structured similarly to Souls, it's expected to have the same kind of enemy-to-boss ratio of a Souls?

I dunno, it just feels strange for such a combat heavy game to feature so few. I can't really get into if it'll be a problem until I actually play the game though.

TitusTroy

this is getting surprisingly decent reviews...I was expecting another Lords of the Fallen in space...might have to pick this one up to scratch my Dark Souls itch

Murder

this is getting surprisingly decent reviews...I was expecting another Lords of the Fallen in space...might have to pick this one up to scratch my Dark Souls itch

Where?

Been keeping an eye out looking to see if any dropped but haven't seen any yet. This game is right up my alley as a Soulsborne fanatic, but Deck13 already burned me once with Lords of the Fallen.

Where?

Been keeping an eye out looking to see if any dropped but haven't seen any yet. This game is right up my alley as a Soulsborne fanatic, but Deck13 already burned me once with Lords of the Fallen.
I assume he means the streamer/youtuber impressions, plus some GAFfers, which have mostly fallen within the "surprisingly decent, even pretty good" spectrum

Murder

I assume he means the streamer/youtuber impressions, plus some GAFfers, which have mostly fallen within the "surprisingly decent, even pretty good" spectrum

Ah, figured. Do we know when the embargo (assuming it's set for tomorrow) lifts? Sure would be nice to get reviews to drop before I slam 50 bucks on Steam and start pre-loading.

The game has everything you'd want, but Deck13 man. Deck13 coupled with the usual Focus Home "polish" doesn't leave you with a lot of confidence.

Zomba13

I kind of enjoyed Lords of the Fallen for what it was, it was Dark Souls like but if you only play Dark Souls with max poise and armour and fat rolls.

I like the look of this, the limb targeting stuff, the sci-fi setting. But will wait for more gameplay vids and reviews and impressions.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
How is the performance on X1?

I am not one to drop $60 on a new game anymore, but if I could have a guarantee of the performance of the game and lack of glitches, I'd probably buy it. I truly like the concept and hope it is well executed. It sucks we are at a time during which we cannot trust games on release.

Ah, figured. Do we know when the embargo (assuming it's set for tomorrow) lifts? Sure would be nice to get reviews to drop before I slam 50 bucks on Steam and start pre-loading.

The game has everything you'd want, but Deck13 man. Deck13 coupled with the usual Focus Home "polish" doesn't leave you with a lot of confidence.
A developer once released their debut title Shellshock, to poor and middling review scores. Their other game that year, Killzone, received a bit better but still mixed reception.

Point being, devs got to start somewhere. Taking advice/criticism to heart and more experience can do a lot, so fingers crossed

I havent played Lord of the Fallen or know much about Focus, so I don't really have many expectations besides "Soulslike" and what I have heard/seen from those recent impressions.

How is the performance on X1?

I am not one to drop $60 on a new game anymore, but if I could have a guarantee of the performance of the game and lack of glitches, I'd probably buy it. I truly like the concept and hope it is well executed. It sucks we are at a time during which we cannot trust games on release.

dude use shopto or base from uk...cheaper makes around 50$

https://www.base.com/buy/product/the-surge-xbox-one/dgc-surgex1.htm

shipping cost are low.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member

Is that why people are so confused by that aspect? Because it's structured similarly to Souls, it's expected to have the same kind of enemy-to-boss ratio as a Souls?

The issue is that people throw around this nebulous "soulslike" term without really considering the consequences.

It's nice that people feel like From have created/revitalised a sub-genre, but we need to remember that it'll mean different things to different people. Superficially, "soulslike" may generally be used to reference things like stamina management, weighted attack motions that need to be committed to/compensated for, and lite permadeath elements (effectively an offshoot of "Action RPG").

But many would still rather associate Souls with things like world building, enemy/boss variety, subtle design/choreography, etc. which naturally creates a rift in expectations. It makes sense to ask things like Strings did, because for some that's where the true appeal lies.

I actually Platinumed Lords of the Fallen, I used it as a prep for Bloodborne lmao, it had some jank at the time but once I got the hang of it things were manageable.

I didn't even know about this game but definitely interested.

DieH@rd

Banned
This game is optimized to have very strong and capable trash mobs [well they are not "trash" in this game] and few bosses. The game is structured around that approach, which make it still fully viable to be an awesome game.

The team is smaller than FROM, they don't have resources to create 100 bosses and online services, it's better for them to focus on what they can realistically achieve.

After playing it, I think the game is very well made and it very successfully continues the streak of QUALITY that we have received from games this year.

Eusis

Glancing over the OT... I followed the game some and knew it was a Dark Souls type game, but didn't expect it to be about taking on the Japanese rating board of all things.

Is that going to be renamed the ESRB over there?

EDIT: Ohhh, brain ignored the two letters in the center were flipped. Ok, the ERSB there then.

Dereck

I have a dilemma, the graphics look excellent, artstyle looks bland, combat looks OK, protagonist looks uninspired, game generally looks fun, comes out tomorrow, burned out on Souls-like games, but wanna give this game a chance because it's new.

Top Bottom