• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond Good & Evil 2: New Concept Arts and in-engine scenes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooya

thanks to bgemyth
http://www.bgemyth.net/?page=news/afficher_news.php&news=1007

a presentation by Michael Ancel and Jordan Mechner about games narrative and their inspirations. it was invitation only apparently. (cam footage below)

we can see game's logo for the first time?! as well.

the team flew to India to get the feel of a very populated city and make a believable world . the world in bge2 is a mix of modern and old he says.

with their engine they claim they can build huge, fully explorable cities. He hopes to put a lot of details in the world to create a believable world and hopes to create a link between the player and the world, so that if a violent scene happens in the world for example, the player feels touched by it.

you can see some in engine still scenes, starts at around 3min in. they show the old leaked footage from 2008 in the end as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ1-O1MudVI

and concept arts here.

artwork_bge2_00124utm.jpg

artwork_bge2_002uiu2n.jpg

artwork_bge2_003squt3.jpg

artwork_bge2_004bvun0.jpg

artwork_bge2_005o2ukp.jpg

artwork_bge2_006nsulk.jpg

artwork_bge2_007gjuv3.jpg

artwork_bge2_0087ouhj.jpg

artwork_bge2_009ygu6y.jpg

artwork_bge2_0104kuik.jpg

Montresor

Man I hope this will be a 360/PS3 game, and not just Wii U / 720 / PS4.

I friggin love how long this gen has lasted.

UrbanRats

I remember that old leaked footage being awesome, let's hope the're gonne release this next year or something like that.

Man I hope this will be a 360/PS3 game, and not just Wii U / 720 / PS4.

I friggin love how long this gen has lasted.
If this ever comes out - can only see Ubisoft releasing at the start of a gen to get that early adopter momentum that they love so much. I just hope it comes out to be honest.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I keep trying to tell myself that it doesn't exist just to lessen the blow of when it inevitably get cancelled but stuff like this makes me hopeful.

Amir0x

Banned
God I hope Rayman Origins is a success. It's going to kill me if this never comes out

or if they cop out and make it downloadable only in "episodic" form or something lame like that

Empty

i like the indian inspiration, but hopefully they work hard to distinguish the city from real life, especially with the more realistic art direction pulling the other way this time. i loved how the world in the first game felt like its own unique, imagined place.

also that leaked footage is the best thing as a big fan of mirror's edge too.

wait why am i talking about the game like it's coming out.

Yuripaw

Banned
The problem I have with all of this is... Beyond Good & Evil had humans in it, sure, but the world was filled with all kinds of anthropomorphic characters. What's with all the humans? Kinda make it look generic and like every other game out there. Bring in more anthropomorphic people, to kinda keep in line with the first game...

Himself

I just ordered Rayman Origins and fired up Beyond Good & Evil HD to pass the time until it arrives. Everything about it is so good. Only an hour and a half in, but I can't wait for for BG&E2.

Eccocid

The problem I have with all of this is... Beyond Good & Evil had humans in it, sure, but the world was filled with all kinds of anthropomorphic characters. What's with all the humans? Kinda make it look generic and like every other game out there. Bring in more anthropomorphic people, to kinda keep in line with the first game...

Yeah, i hope it doesn't turn in to AC in india.

Empty

Yeah, i hope it doesn't turn in to AC in india.

this is another thing, the huge cities. in ancel we trust, but i don't want assassins creed as an inspiration. the world in beyond good and evil was actually quite small by the standard of games of its type imo. but i loved this, it made it hyllis intimate and homely, allowed everyone at places like mammago's garage and the propoganda cafe to be crafted and feel distinct, and made the world itself feel more dense and crawling with sub dungeons and secret caves and weird animals. a huge world filled with copy and paste people like assassins creed and not much content goes against that. i'm not opposed to change, i like moving it to a new place, but it's not playing to the strengths of the series.

Zapages

It lives. :) So I wonder if this is the next gen game Ubi is going to concentrate on if Rayman Origins is a success. Then the following Gen we might get a new PoP.

Yuripaw

Banned

I don't know...this isn't really what I had in mind for what I'd want BG&E to be. The world of that first game is so much more imaginative and fantasy than what they're showing here. Just trying to be another...for lack of a better term...gritty realistic looking game. We got too much of those already. BG&E was colorful, and beautiful. Living creatures all over the place. Not this depressing dry desert atmosphere.

Yuripaw

Banned
I don't know...this isn't really what I had in mind for what I'd want BG&E to be. The world of that first game is so much more imaginative and fantasy than what they're showing here. Just trying to be another...for lack of a better term...gritty realistic looking game. We got too much of those already. BG&E was colorful, and beautiful. Living creatures all over the place. Not this depressing dry desert atmosphere.

To reference some other popular franchises...this game needs more Halo, and less Call of Duty.

EDIT: oops! i hit quote instead of edit. sorry.

[Nintex]

Woah, my heart skipped a beat but then I noticed that it wasn't a shiggy thread so it isn't cancelled and still in production :)

Shiggy

[Nintex];32862474 said:
Woah, my heart skipped a beat but then I noticed that it wasn't a shiggy thread so it isn't cancelled and still in production :)

Nope, it's still the old 2009 footage.

Snaku

Banned
I don't like how much of a departure the art design is taking from the original. BG&E's art is charming, distinctly French, and holds up extremely well even today. BG&EII's art looks to be gunning for photo realism, and that doesn't sit well with me at all. I'm also not particularly enamored by the music, which is hopefully just a placeholder.

I'm still gonna pre-order 10 copies for every system it releases on and giving them away.

dr_rus

Didn't GAF get cease and desist last time something like this was posted here?
I need to beat BG&E again some day...

Himself

Nevermind. Yeah I hope it doesn't turn into Uncharted or Assassin's Creed. One of which I enjoy the other doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom