• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why doesn't Amazon sell any Nintendo systems anymore? (And will they sell Wii U?)

Fantastical

Death Prophet
THIS IS ONLY ABOUT AMAZON U.S. I've been thinking about making a thread like this for a while because it's something I find interesting, but I didn't want to sound sensationalist or jump to conclusions, but I kind of feel like that is no longer the case anymore.

Okay, so last July (yes more than a year ago) Amazon put the 3DS "under review". This means that they stopped selling it for some unspecified reason. I made a thread about it here. A lot of people were saying it was some kind of error or that they were temporarily out of stock and at shortly after it seemed like that could be right because Amazon started selling 3DS handhelds once more. But some people brought up the screen scratching issue that the 3DS has (look here for more information on that). User TheBez even quoted an Amazon stating the reason it was under review was for a somewhat similar but different reason.
Talked with an Amazon rep and this is what he said:

The reason why this is under a review :
The flip-screen is loose when its opened, please inform them that Nintendo has confirmed as long as the upper screen locks into place, the unit is within Nintendo’s design specification. Customers can call 1-800-255-3700

He also gave me this link to use for further help

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/3ds/en_na/ts_system.jsp?menu=housing and hinge

This pointed at it being more than some error or a stocking issue but no one really cared because they were back in stock.

Fast forward to October and in the same thread user Deadly Joker updated the thread.

I noticed you can't buy any models of the 3DS on Amazon.

What's going on?

Link

User LOCK also replied with some information.

Amazon hasn't directly sold a 3DS since the beginning of October. Every time I've checked it has only been offered from other sellers.

And then I replied 3 days later confirming that they still weren't selling the systems, which is different from the July incident when I believe Amazon got them back up in under 24 hours.

Mpl90 also made a very interesting observation.
You know what?
Also various SKUs of Wii are in the exact same state...and others have low stocks.
And even DS.
Yeah, Nintendo is punishing Amazon for the Kindle Fire.

And this is still where we are at. Amazon is not selling any Wii, DS, or 3DS SKUs. Amazon will sell the games, but the systems are all sold by 3rd party sellers. And yes, to clear up some confusion, although you can buy the systems from the Amazon website, Amazon doesn't sell them directly. Notice the prices on nearly all 3DS models are about 10-15 dollars higher than they should be. And, while Amazon has a page for the 3DS XL (here), you can't preorder it from them and the system comes out in less than a month so I think they would be on that by now.

I just have to wonder if Amazon will sell the Wii U. I would think that they wouldn't turn their back on a new major console, but they did on a potential hot selling redesign of a handheld.
I feel like some people are going to respond that these systems are out of stock or something, but they are simply not. It's been like this for months as shown in that thread. There has been discussion about this in other topics, but I can't find them at the moment.
Maybe this is just completely stupid but I've been kind of scratching my head at this for many months now. Again, not to sensationalize it, but it seems like there is something amiss in the relationship between Nintendo and Amazon.

Derrick01

Banned
Hmm well I guess I know where I'm not going to be buying a 3DS. That's rather unfortunate as I prefer Amazon for my console/handheld purchases.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Wow, that's unfortunate. I preordered my 3DS from Amazon way back when, and I still buy 3DS games on Amazon.

KU_

I noticed this as well about a week ago. I really hope they sell the Wii U, seeing as Amazon's customer service is the best in the business, and I just subscribed to Prime.

All signs point to Nintendo being dicks. There's absolutely no reason why Amazon would willingly choose to not stock Nintendo hardware outside of the faulty 3DSes. Most likely Nintendo punishing them for speaking up about Nintendo's own screen scratching fiasco. The only hardware Amazon still has is old stock of the Limited Edition Pokemon Black DSi Bundle.

So you can go to Amazon.com. Search "3DS." Find systems available. Order is fulfilled by Amazon.com. So they're not the direct seller. Who cares? What's the problem?

Who cares? How about people that don't want to pay 10-30 over MSRP. When Amazon sells it directly, they charge MSRP or less. These other sellers are all selling above.

Eric C

All signs point to Nintendo being dicks. There's absolutely no reason why Amazon would willingly choose to not stock Nintendo hardware outside of the faulty 3DSes. Most likely Nintendo punishing them for speaking up about Nintendo's own screen scratching fiasco. The only hardware Amazon still has is old stock of the Limited Edition Pokemon Black DSi Bundle.

Or Amazon is trying to pull a WalMart and get a better price on Nintendo Hardware to make more of a profit and Nintendo told them no way.

Not saying that's what happened but it's a possibility.

I hope that we get a direct answer to this issue some day; I do believe either Amazon, Nintendo of America, or both share some of the blame; hardly doubt this is a coincidence or just Nintendo systems selling so well that they're never in stock.

For what it's worth, Amazon put up their Wii U 'Notify Me When Available' page quite a while ago, before E3, and the page actually has a ton of info on the system (unlike the barebones 3DS XL pages). I'm really hoping to be able to purchase the Wii U from them; if not, then I guess Best Buy will do, like I pre-ordered my 3DS XL from them.

Struct09

Or Amazon is trying to pull a WalMart and get a better price on Nintendo Hardware to make more of a profit and Nintendo told them no way.

Not saying that's what happened but it's a possibility.

More likely what's happening. I believe the margins on 3DS systems are razor thin, and it may not be worth it for Amazon to stock them if they're taking losses on every unit sold.

Eric C

It should also be mentioned that last year when Amazon.com stopped selling Nintendo hardware they also put up a chart called Handheld Console Choices on the Nintendo product pages directly comparing the tech specs of Nintendo handhelds to Sony handhelds, that chart is not present on any of the Sony product pages, just the Nintendo ones.

It should also be mentioned that last year when Amazon.com stopped selling Nintendo hardware they also put up a chart called Handheld Console Choices on the Nintendo product pages directly comparing the tech specs of Nintendo handhelds to Sony handhelds, that chart is not present on any of the Sony product pages, just the Nintendo ones.

oh wow

Emitan

Is Takao Amazon's CEO?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Oh yeah I meant to mention something about that. I'll quote you in the first post.

EDIT: On second thought maybe it's more likely they forgot about that since they weren't even selling 3DS systems directly when Vita came out.

Sony won't money hat an exclusive, but they'll money hat Amazon.

Forever

Banned
Have we really gotten to the level of whether you wonder if online retailers will sell the Wii U or not?

He's not wondering about "online retailers" he's wondering about Amazon. It's a legit question considering that Amazon doesn't seem to carry any Nintendo hardware right now.

Sushigod7

Was thinking the same thing hope Amazon sells the Wii U. I sent a inquiry recently about the 3ds XL and the response i got was very generic saying to keep watch the site it maybe sold out. It made no sense customer service was messing with me.

Apath

Why are they selling Wii U games for 99$?
Because they don't know the prices yet. Rather than notify people of a price increase and dealing with having to honor the lower price/getting a lot of cancels, they just bring down the price accordingly. In other words, it's easier to subtract than it is to add.

Not in my state (Tennessee). :(
No where is tax free. Without a doubt Amazon and other major online retailers provide an entire order history of what people purchase through their site to the government so they know what's up and who isn't reporting what. Pretty sure it has to do with leveraging out of sales tax. Seeing an order total is what people think of, and keeps the burden of taxes off their hands. It's more or less a perceived price advantage I guess.

hwy_61

Banned
Little bit off-topic, but was there ever an explanation for all the PSN codes disappearing? That was my preferred method!

MrBS

This worries me. Getting 3DS and vita cheap to Australia was easy with amazon preorders. I was hoping to exploit *cough* make use of that cheap international shipping again for the Wii U.

I just wanted to say I love Amazon. <3

It might not be as trendy as backing Steam, but somebodies got to do it.

Tony, I'll buy a Kindle if you tell us the truth.
Any news on the new kindle? I read they were going to release a new version to compete with Google's tablet. Hope that was a lie!

This year long potential conflict between a major video game retailer and a major video game company seems like the sort of thing that would be great to look into if you were some sort of journalist covering video games. It's probably easier to just post Halo screenshots and stories about how many McChickens THQ is worth, though.

Top Bottom