• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plex confirmed for Xbox One

In a forum post on the Plex forum, a developer said

I would like to make you all aware of some very exciting news...

Microsoft has approved the development of a Plex Client for Xbox One.

That is correct, we have been granted membership into ID@Xbox specifically for the development and eventual release of Plex for Xbox One.

This is in no way saying that it will be coming next week, or even next month, but starting tonight I will be applying my first test code to an Xbox One.

More details will be coming soon.

Thank you very much for your patience in this matter, and thank you very much for your support.

Link to post - https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/104978-plex-for-xbox-one-is-a-go/

Huge.

Huge huge huge news for me.

Currently my PS3 is a dedicated Plex machine out in the lounge for the wife. I'm planning on grabbing a FireTV or Chromecast to meet that need but knowing the X1 will have Plex is a huge plus in my mind.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
A huge Megaton.

Is this the first time a game console will play MKV files?

When this gets released the Xbox One will be the dominate media player.

A huge Megaton.

You mean dominant.

Why this is seemingly eclipsing "definately" as the most common grammatical and/or spelling error made online baffles me. Say "dominate" out loud and then say "dominant". Notice how they sound different from one another. Which one sounds right in your sentence?

Unless you're Borat, I guess.

A huge Megaton.

With people moaning about DLNA do you think Sony is going to sit there and do nothing?

It might kick Sony into touch and get Plex for PS4 as well.

A huge Megaton.

I've been streaming MKVs to my Ps3 and 360 for years, it's not a first.

Good news though I feel "megaton" has lost of it's meaning nowadays. Seems to Get thrown around for everything

Hopefully this pushes Sony to hurry up with the updates

My PS3 can't play MKVs

Neither can Xbox One, Plex can Direct Play compatible containers but it can also Direct Stream which means it takes the component video and audio files out of the container and puts it in a compatible container on the fly which is what Plex on Xbox One will probably do.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
You mean dominant.

Why this is seemingly eclipsing "definately" as the most common grammatical and/or spelling error made online baffles me. Say "dominate" out loud and then say "dominant". Notice how they sound different from one another. Which one sounds right in your sentence?

Unless you're Borat, I guess.

I'm lying in bed. I've just woke up. Give me a break. Sheeesh...

cyberheater

I've been streaming MKVs to my Ps3 and 360 for years, it's not a first.

Good news though I feel "megaton" has lost of it's meaning nowadays. Seems to Get thrown around for everything

Hopefully this pushes Sony to hurry up with the updates

No. You have a solution that your PC converts and streams MKV's on the fly for PS360. They do not play them natively.

Plex should be able to play the container directly. You should be able to connect a external usb drive filled with MKV's to the Xbox One and Plex will play them directly. If true then this is a big deal and a first for a console.

Skeff

A huge Megaton.

You know PS4/XB1 already support the plex web app right?

and ps360 both have supported MKV streaming like this, though CFW/Jtag PS360s have had native MKV.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Nice. It's surprising that the last round of consoles wasn't capable of being a perfect media center.

Your move Sony.

No. You have a solution that your PC converts and streams MKV's on the fly for PS360. They do not play them natively.

I'm staying at my parents house and they have a decent wireless router, but with both PC+PS3MediaServer and PS3 on wifi, it plays the file back like molasses. I'm sure if it could read the MKV file directly, it would play.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm on board. Even if I need to buy gold for it (please change this)

If they ever get an official TiVo app and universal search (so I can search my plex library and TiVo recordings and Netflix etc) then I will be very happy

cyberheater

and ps360 both have supported MKV streaming like this, though CFW/Jtag PS360s have had native MKV.

Well. Technically. PS360 aren't receiving MKV's at all and of course a modded console won't have the stupid limitations required by the platform holders.

Does it require a Gold Sub to work?

I really wish folks would stop asking this question. The only thing on Xbox that's not behind a paywall is playing single player games. Apart from that. Everything is going to be behind the paywall. How else can MS add 'value' to Gold.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Awesome.... I hope it comes to PS4

The big difference is that there is already a plex metro app, so little effort needed to bring it to Xbox.

Hopefully Sony will pay attention and approach key app providers I order to try and keep PS4 competitive in this area. I don't see me being able to be as broad as MS can due to being on windows OS, but if they can somehow sponsor or even co-produce critical apps like plex, that could help a lot.

Skeff

Well. Technically. PS360 aren't receiving MKV's at all and of course a modded console won't have the stupid limitations required by the platform holders.

I really wish folks would stop asking this question. The only thing on Xbox that's not behind a paywall is playing single player games. Apart from that. Everything is going to be behind the paywall. How else can MS add 'value' to Gold.

Doesn't this make you think that as Plex will be an official app then it will also have those same stupid limitations? This could be a great app, but it depends how much Microsoft dictate to Plex on licensing and other crap.

plainr_

Plex should be able to play the container directly. You should be able to connect a external usb drive filled with MKV's to the Xbox One and Plex will play them directly. If true then this is a big deal and a first for a console.

The Plex client is not guaranteed to play MKV's directly. For instance, Plex for Chromecast is 100% transcoding.

BocoDragon

The big difference is that there is already a plex metro app, so little effort needed to bring it to Xbox.

I'd be okay without Plex, but with Sony offering native MKV support.

I hope Sony don't let piracy, and the urge to sell their content, from preventing MKV support. People pirate already... they just aren't going to use a Sony device to watch it if they are unable to. +1 Xbone sale, or whatever other HTPC solution.

For the record, I rip my legitimately purchased blu-rays to MKV. It's illegal to get around the copy protection but bite me... I am supporting the content I like with $$$. Would be nice to make PS4 a place where I can watch it... otherwise I'll watch it on Xbone.

The Plex client is not guaranteed to play MKV's directly. For instance, Plex for Chromecast is 100% transcoding.

But isn't Chromecast in general all about streaming from another device?

cyberheater

Doesn't this make you think that as Plex will be an official app then it will also have those same stupid limitations? This could be a great app, but it depends how much Microsoft dictate to Plex on licensing and other crap.

My fingers are crossed. I don't believe the Plex devs would bother if they knew there was this limitation.

Skeff

I'd be okay without Plex, but with Sony offering native MKV support.

I hope Sony don't let piracy, and the urge to sell their content, from preventing MKV support. People pirate already... they just aren't going to use a Sony device to watch it if they are unable to. +1 Xbone sale, or whatever other HTPC solution.

For the record, I rip my legitimately purchased blu-rays to MKV. It's illegal to get around the copy protection but bite me... I am supporting the content I like with $$$. Would be nice to make PS4 a place where I can watch it... otherwise I'll watch it on Xbone.

I think Sony would prefer their own MKV player on PS4 to a third parties so that they can retain the Cinavia protection.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
But thy're almost 700 000 000 ISK these days...

Plex doesn't play back local files.......

It requires a server to be set up that stores the files. Then it can stream or transcode them.

BocoDragon

I think Sony would prefer their own MKV player on PS4 to a third parties so that they can retain the Cinavia protection.

I have no idea how that works.... do you think such a thing might prevent me from watching my blu-ray > mkv rips?

Dabanton

Good news.

One of the great things about the Xbox One having a HDMI in, is I can already put my mini HD media box through the machine and it can easily play MKV's in surround sound and more importantly for me no transcoding or any of that. PS3 media server as much as I loved it could be very picky with certain files.

The media box through the Xbox Is a nice solution for me, no need to turn off my X1 and plug in my PS3 now. And it also means one less HDMI wire using up precious space on the TV and I can control it through the X1 with the watch TV command, much better for me.

People are confusing Plex with XBMC.

XBMC is the do all, play all, player that can play back local files and stream them too.

Plex is the offshoot of XBMC that doesn't have local playback and can only stream from the Plex Media Server which requires you to have it set up on a PC that stores the files.

A big deal to who? Owners of a now niche product who want to use a niche format to play files largely obtained illegally? Shit ain't huge, not a game changer, cool? Yes. But not huge.

Synth

a) Fuck the web app. It's nasty to use with a joypad.
b) It actually doesn't playback transcoded videos on the Xbox One, so it's useless there.

I've been waiting for this shit for soooo long!

20cent

Banned
With PS3 Media Server?

Even Plex (Media Server) can stream any video + subtitles to the PS3

People are confusing Plex with XBMC.

XBMC is the do all, play all, player that can play back local files and stream them too.

Plex is the offshoot of XBMC that doesn't have local playback and can only stream from the Plex Media Server which requires you to have it set up on a PC that stores the files.

If this is Plex only (not Plex Media Server) that is ported to Xbox, they shouldn't even bother, this will only give a Plex interface for something I guess the X1 can already do (I dont have one but the PS360 can do it).
It will be interesting if the X1 can act as a Plex Server (and of course client) connected to a HD/NAS

Top Bottom