• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lara Croft can't swim in the reboot? The hell? + Regen health - 12/15 hr SP

Nose Master

People getting awfully upset about not including a shitty swimming section. Anyone pretending this game isn't going to be an empty set-piece romp ala Uncharted is going to be real disappointed.

nib95

Banned
Can't believe a game that takes place on am island, with the main heroin as a treasure hunter, doesn't allow her to swim. Oh dear.

People getting awfully upset about not including a shitty swimming section. Anyone pretending this game isn't going to be an empty set-piece romp ala Uncharted is going to be real disappointed.

But you can swim in Uncharted. And in number 3, it's actually extremely useful tactically, in firefights using floating ships/parts etc as dynamic cover.

UrbanRats

Please make another game like Guardian of Light. That was the best Tomb Raider game I've played. :p
That was great, but it also really wasn't a real Tomb Raider game.
Swimming in games always sucks anyway.
Again, not in the recent Tomb Raiders it didn't.

This shittastic game is resulting from gamers demand of a reboot.

Lesson: careful what you wish for.
The series did need a reboot, just not one aping Uncharted.

That was great, but it also really wasn't a real Tomb Raider game.

Again, not in the recent Tomb Raiders it didn't.

why? sales wise the franchise won't get any bigger. Tomb Raider Legend, Anniversary and Underworld were great games.

xenist

And Uncharted was Tomb Raider with a dude and better cutscenes. I fail to see how any similarities are to the detriment of either.

I also have to laugh at the implication of Uncharted having a good plot. It was B movie Indiana Jones knock-off 101.

UrbanRats

why? sales wise the franchise won't get any bigger. Tomb Raider Legend, Anniversary and Underworld were great games.

Yeah but the formula was staled and it could've been far more ambitious.
I think the idea of more open level, with different approaches and a bit of survival sprinkled in, were all great ideas.

Less emphasis on combat, no human enemies, no voice-com and human contact (or minimal human contact) and a LOT of open exploration.

Tomb Raider was fairly linear game for technical reasons, but it longed for a more open approach, imo.

Regarding the character of Lara, rebooting her too, was a nice idea, a more human and believable character, less of a "badass" with guns, but as always, they have to hamfist everything, and "more human" means shes has to cry herself to sleep now. :\
She seem to express no passion whatsoever for exploration, and no curiosity, in what we've seen so far, which was, imo, a central part of why her character worked: she put herself in those situations because it was worthed to her, not because of her misfortune and big bad men forcing her hands.. fucking stupid.
Of course this is my interpretation of the series and the character, to each his/her own.

Aretak

And Uncharted was Tomb Raider with a dude and better cutscenes.
Nah, not even close. It was just a lazy comparison that people made before the first game came out since it happened to have a main character who was a treasure hunter and a bit of platforming. Gameplay or style-wise Uncharted has never been anything like Tomb Raider really.

xenist

Yeah you're right, it had more shooting.

Look, Uncharted was a great game. One of the greatest games of this generation. But its quality had nothing to do with originality. It was a tweak on an old formula.

8bit

Knows the Score
The game team has a BRAND MANAGER. That should tell you things.

If there's one person on that team who isn't performing the job they're supposed to it's this one. Every time I read about this game it's something dumber than before that comes off as detrimental to the brand. I can only shudder at the thought of how this game would be portrayed if it didn't have a brand manager.

Oh yah, and does this serious business mean I won't get another Guardian of Light type game? Because that would be a great shame.

UrbanRats

And Uncharted was Tomb Raider with a dude and better cutscenes. I fail to see how any similarities are to the detriment of either.

I also have to laugh at the implication of Uncharted having a good plot. It was B movie Indiana Jones knock-off 101.

1) No, Tomb Raider was not a reskinned Uncharted, aside from the treasure mcguffin and the esotic settings, they were very different games.

2) Uncharted doesn't take itself seriously, like this TR seem to do, that's the point.

xenist

1) No, Tomb Raider was not a reskinned Uncharted, aside from the treasure mcguffin and the esotic settings, they were very different games.

2) Uncharted doesn't take itself seriously, like this TR seem to do, that's the point.

Would you care to explain your first point?

I don't think the series needed a reboot, just a polished game with high production values and a good showing at major shows like E3. A "normal" Tomb Raider with classic Lara shooting lots of animals, big environments, great puzzles, great graphics, and a T-Rex chase set piece to wow the Uncharted fans would've had the same "impact" this game has. They didn't need to reboot the character into whatever they have now to introduce survival elements and open environments, that would've been a natural evolution of classic Tomb Raider. Hell, the whole "stranded on crazy island" theme would've been the perfect way to let ultra badass Lara Croft become what the idea of the character has always been, but never truly achieved. Like how Batman got to completely let loose in Arkham Asylum + City.

V_Arnold

I am conflicted. On one hand, swimming and exploration was an ephemeral experience for me on the original Tomb Raiders. I am going to miss it. Also, there are some clear vision issues with this project, and I hope it wont jump on that "Uncharted? Me too" bandwagon too much....

...but on the other hand, it is Crystal Dynamics. They made Soul Reaver. THEY MADE SOUL REAVER!

:(

StayDead

All I can say is thanks modern gaming for destroying another series that was once brilliant.

No swimming when she's been able to swim in every game until now? Regenrative health? Turned it into a cover shooter?

Thanks alot modern gaming. :/

Shinta

Banned
A "normal" Tomb Raider with classic Lara shooting lots of animals, big environments, great puzzles, great graphics, and a T-Rex chase set piece to wow the Uncharted fans would've had the same "impact" this game has.

I really doubt that. I think you all forget just how much buzz this game was getting before everyone focused on the stupid controversies.

UrbanRats

I am conflicted. On one hand, swimming and exploration was an ephemeral experience for me on the original Tomb Raiders. I am going to miss it. Also, there are some clear vision issues with this project, and I hope it wont jump on that "Uncharted? Me too" bandwagon too much....

...but on the other hand, it is Crystal Dynamics. They made Soul Reaver. THEY MADE SOUL REAVER!

:(
Lol, i bet most of the people that did Soul Reaver are at Naughty Dog or wherever else, right now.
It's just a name.

All I can say is thanks modern gaming for destroying another series that was once brilliant.

No swimming when she's been able to swim in every game until now? Regenrative health? Turned it into a cover shooter?

Thanks alot modern gaming. :/

I'm sure I will enjoy the new Tomb Raider, but I must admit it is definitely sounding more like Uncharted than Tomb Raider. Then again, it seems like most 3rd person shooters play like Uncharted now. I love me some Uncharted, but that does not mean I want every game to play like it.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Platforming and puzzle solving is much more babyproofed in Uncharted. Not to say that the game is not some awesome Indiana Jones style fun and gorgeous adventure, because it is, but this is not how Tomb Raider 1, 2, 3, TLR, Anniversary, etc... played like.

Oh well, thanks to the refined emulation features of FW 2.00 I can enjoy Tomb Raider 1 the best way PSOne could render it on PS Vita.

UrbanRats

I don't think the series needed a reboot, just a polished game with high production values and a good showing at major shows like E3. A "normal" Tomb Raider with classic Lara shooting lots of animals, big environments, great puzzles, great graphics, and a T-Rex chase set piece to wow the Uncharted fans would've had the same "impact" this game has. They didn't need to reboot the character into whatever they have now to introduce survival elements and open environments, that would've been a natural evolution of classic Tomb Raider. Hell, the whole "stranded on crazy island" theme would've been the perfect way to let ultra badass Lara Croft become what the idea of the character has always been, but never truly achieved. Like how Batman got to completely let loose in Arkham Asylum + City.
When i say "needed" i mean in terms of quality, as a fan, not in terms of sales.
I think the formula needed a re-examination from the core, because it was still too latched on to old mechanics (as i said, the linearity), though already Underworld showed th intention of doing that, seeing how in the Mexico level you could clear one part of the map before the others, freely.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Lol, i bet most of the people that did Soul Reaver are at Naughty Dog or wherever else, right now.
It's just a name.

There are competent people there, the graphics and animation, etc... there is clearly very competent programmers and artists there.

I would be fine with an Uncharted style game starring Lara Croft (this game certainly look like it could be really fun), but what makes me a bit angry is that there seem to be no future for "real" Tomb Raider games at CD and I would have liked another game in that vein.

Tomb Raider games have always been about platforming and puzzle-solving first, combat second. Uncharted is a straight-up cover-based shooter with automatic, sticky platforming that requires no skill. The two both involved jumping around in tombs but the gameplay was totally different. The new Tomb Raider seems to be another Uncharted clone, though, full of linear, run-at-the-camera setpieces with very little tomb exploration to be seen.

MormaPope

Banned
The next Tomb Raider has already been announced and it takes place in New York City. Players will have to explore subways and sewers to uncover the City's most valuable treasure!

Uncharted Tombs: Burial of Sacrifice.

xenist

Tomb Raider games have always been about platforming and puzzle-solving first, combat second. Uncharted is a straight-up cover-based shooter with automatic, sticky platforming that requires no skill. The two both involved jumping around in tombs but the gameplay was totally different. The new Tomb Raider seems to be another Uncharted clone, though, full of linear, run-at-the-camera setpieces with very little tomb exploration to be seen.

Thanks for the effort but I know Uncharted is different from Tomb Raider. I was merely making a point regarding the "Tomb Raider is now Uncharted" talk. If you knew about Uncharted the amount of stuff you know now about the new Tomb Raider you would be calling it a clone.

I really doubt that. I think you all forget just how much buzz this game was getting before everyone focused on the stupid controversies.

The "buzz" was just those same gamers who claim they want open ended experiences getting impressed by another ultra linear "cinematic setpiece." I don't buy into buzz. Show people any game with some fancy scripting, good graphics, and blood, and they'll go nuts. At least with classic Croft we wouldn't have to be dealing with the "you'll want to protect her," fragile baby poo stuff they've shown so far.

This. I was hoping the reboot would be an open world, puzzle filled, tomb raiding extravaganza but the more i hear about the game the less Tomb Raidery it sounds. At least to me. Which is a shame because i've loved Tomb Raider since the first one all those years ago. Aside from AoD of course. Blech.

I don't think Lara needed a 'reboot', that epidemic is sweeping media at the moment and i'm not keen. It just seems lazy to me. Rather than create a new strong IP publishers are trying to shoehorn ideas into established franchises so they can ride the brand name which just smacks of a lack of confidence in their ideas.

I'm keeping an eye on this game still but my excitement levels have dropped massively in the last 6 months. I'm starting to think that i'm no longer the gamer the market wants me to be.

sublimit

Banned
Swimming was one of the core aspects of Tomb Raider in the classics.Taking it away is like taking the puzzles away from Zelda games.I wonder how people would have liked that.And regen health?lol is there anything left from Uncharted they haven't yet copied?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

Indiana Jones is a B-movie already so nothing was lost in translation. It's better than Temple of Doom anyway. Any Uncharted game I mean.

Shinta

Banned
The "buzz" was just those same gamers who claim they want open ended experiences getting impressed by another ultra linear "cinematic setpiece." I don't buy into buzz. Show people any game with some fancy scripting, good graphics, and blood, and they'll go nuts. At least with classic Croft we wouldn't have to be dealing with the "you'll want to protect her," fragile baby poo stuff they've shown so far.

Most of the "buzz" was specifically about how people were excited by a much more mature, darker, interesting Tomb Raider game that was different from the previous ones. Most of the people that were really impressed at E3 are sick of the old games.

And you still have to throw in a jab about this "protect" bullshit, still? Talking with some of you people is making me want to blow my brains out.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Raiders is arguably the perfect action script. It alluded to B movies but there was nothing B about it.

as there is nothing B about action in Uncharted. Characters and acting are fitting too so no. It's better than Rundown and is on par with Romancing the Stone. Indiana Jones just had good action, good direction and HARRISON FORD.

When i say "needed" i mean in terms of quality, as a fan, not in terms of sales.
I think the formula needed a re-examination from the core, because it was still too latched on to old mechanics (as i said, the linearity), though already Underworld showed th intention of doing that, seeing how in the Mexico level you could clear one part of the map before the others, freely.

I agree they needed to hunker down, make changes to the formula, and really put effort into making the next TR a super high quality experience, but going uber emotional literal character reboot wasn't necessary.

But hey, they might be holding out on all the good stuff, and have only shown what they've shown to attract a new audience. That way of thinking has certainly never let me down in the past.

shira

croft.jpg

Prolly not a good idea if they are championing this as somekind of protecting girls game

Most of the "buzz" was specifically about how people were excited by a much more mature, darker, interesting Tomb Raider game that was different from the previous ones. Most of the people that were really impressed at E3 are sick of the old games.

And you still have to throw in a jab about this "protect" bullshit, still? Talking with some of you people is making me want to blow my brains out.

"Mature, darker, interesting" are all fine words, but the footage has looked like 90% Uncharted + M rated scripted violence. If that's indicative of the rest of the game, that "buzz" will go away on release.

And please don't blow your brains out, we're all just trying to protect each other here.

Top Bottom