• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo eShop update imminent on 3DS? (Minor UI update, Wii U games listing)

ash_ag

I entered the Nintendo eShop to download a game that was releasing today and happened to be on my watchlist. A notification lead me right into it as soon as I entered, but due to not having enough empty space, I first had to delete something (via the eShop option). When I returned to download the game, it said I should leave 3DS to charge a bit more (as it does when the battery is almost dead) and lead me to the main menu which was, well, different.

I captured as much as I could with my phone (before its battery died :p), but I also checked most of the other options afterwards. Here:

http://youtu.be/ChkFguFTkR8

There are several minor UI updates as well as listings of Wii U games and collections. An error occurs when trying to get more info on a Wii U game, while some collections seem to lead to unrelated 3DS categories (for example, 'Wii U Demos' leads to 'Nintendo 3DS (Card/Download)' if I recall correctly).

'Menu' is mostly the same, though the top screen visuals are a bit different I think. Wii U games listings lead to the Wii U game (with its price, but no images), much like Earthbound. Also, 3DS VC listings had vanished, and Wii U ones seemed to be appearing instead (like Metroid and Kid Icarus, which much like Earthbound weren't downloadable).

I guess this could have to do with NNID coming to 3DS?

Edit: Must also mentioned that my eShop is now back to normal, but I did download Monsters Come Out On Friday through the new eShop without problems.

Cross-buying confirmed

It'll be interesting to see reactions to that when it does inevitably happen. People are clamoring for it (rightfully) but I expect more than one complaint from people who already bought a game twice, once for Wii U and again on 3DS.

"I already own SMB on everything...I WANT A REFUND! Make me whole, Nintendo!"

cafemomo

Nintendo finally being competent with their online store?
jTARpnq7N4Gkz.jpg

Neifirst

That Wii U summer update was delayed until September, right? I would imagine both systems would be updated simultaneously.

wrowa

Cross-buying confirmed

It would be so amazing, even though Nintendo would probably find a way to make it suck. :p

But honestly, cross buy and cloud saves are really my most wanted features for the VC. I want to be able to start playing on Wii U and seamlessly continue playing on the 3DS when I leave the house. That would be an amazing feature (and also a feature that gives the VC additional value over the piracy route).

It doesn't look to me like it's cross-buy, just skimming the video.

It looks like you can access either store from the 3DS or Wii U (or, say, a browser or phone) but I don't think that necessarily means software will be playable on both if you only buy it on one.

Nibel

If cross-buy does happen, it better damn well be retro-active! *shake fist*

"For today, I will announce the new cross-buy system with which you can buy games for Wii U on a 3DS and 3DS games on a Wii U. Now, we at Nintendo don't want to push everything right into your face, which is why Ballon Fight is the first game to support cross-buy. Thank you"

*bow*

joedick

Hasn't it been rumored that Nintendo cross buy would come at a price? Like pay a dollar to gain access to the game on 3DS?

Seems fair to me, though I suspect a lot of people on the internet will get cranky.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
You've been able to find 3DS games in the Wii U eshop for some time now. It's just consolidating their shops, not letting you actually buy and run software from one platform on the other.

I wouldn't be surprised, though, if the final iteration of this lets you buy a game on one platform and kicks off its downloading on the other platform via Spotpass. After all, the Wii U recently got an update that lets it check for Spotpass data while turned off.

ash_ag

It doesn't look to me like it's cross-buy, just skimming the video.

It looks like you can access either store from the 3DS or Wii U (or, say, a browser or phone) but I don't think that necessarily means software will be playable on both if you only buy it on one.

The suspicious part is that the 3DS VC games weren't accessible through the menu, but the Wii U ones were. The "Virtual Console" category specifically lead to either an empty page or an error when tapped on, and didn't have an image on it (like the rest of the Wii U categories).

Man

Why don't your charge your electronics more

:(

Hasn't it been rumored that Nintendo cross buy would come at a price? Like pay a dollar to gain access to the game on 3DS?

Seems fair to me, though I suspect a lot of people on the internet will get cranky.

Yeah, I finally got my Wii transferred to my Wii U last night, and was browsing the eShop and noticed that to upgrade from Wii to Wii U versions was a buck a pop (more for SNES games).

My first thought was, "Man, that's going to get expensive." But then I guess I'm fine with it because it's not like off-tv functionality programmed itself.

Though I'd be mildly amused at Nintendo "selling" NES games on 3DS for a dollar (for those that already own the Wii U version) since a big part of their strategy is to not sell old games for a dollar :D

vareon

To this day I really don't like Nintendo's segregation of "Console gets VC console games, handheld gets VC handheld games". I want to play SNES games on my 3DS, dammit :| Hopefully this means a good change is coming.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I would give up cross buy and all other features for GBA games on the 3DS VC.

I hope Crossbuy (even with a small fee) happens.

I've been wanting to buy the NES Mega Man games on my 3Ds, but knowing that I already have them (and a load of the other NES games) already on my Wii (no Wii U yet), I just can't bring myself to do it.

enishi

It'll be interesting to see reactions to that when it does inevitably happen. People are clamoring for it (rightfully) but I expect more than one complaint from people who already bought a game twice, once for Wii U and again on 3DS.

"I already own SMB on everything...I WANT A REFUND! Make me whole, Nintendo!"

Actually Nintendo did refund (through eshop credit) when they set their Wii browser from $5 to free.

If (and a big IF) there is really cross-buy, I think it will work on the same way for those double dip.

Top Bottom