• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidDesu

It frustrates me no end how the entire right wing political class of this country has royally fucked this up, from the fairly right Tories to the extreme right UKIP (or Nigel Farage shitshow brigade party), and yet they appear to be getting off Scot-free with barely any real criticism. The entire right wing political establishment has shown themselves up for what we always thought they were, indeed even worse than most thought.

They've not shown the slightest bit of care or responsibility for anything that has happened. An irresponsible referendum held for the lamest of reasons by Cameron, a completely irresponsible campaign from both sides, Leave just telling racists and the feeble minded just what they want to hear knowing full well it was all bollocks! Now they're STILL infighting with one another while the country figuratively fucking burns to the ground, with nobody willing to be proactive in the slightest.

Yet we hear barely any real criticism of them. And by criticism I mean their entire parties being hounded into submission and individual politicians being epically torn to shreds. This is no less than they deserve yet any criticism I've seen is as wishy washy as the politician's efforts during this whole shambles.

The media has been terrible, as always. Indeed much of our current predicament is down to shoddy, biased and sensationalist media. The entire Westminster political estate has been feeble too. Labour have just lost the plot. Now, I like Corbyn, but he was weak in the campaign, virtually invisible. Still, I completely disagree with what the Parliamentary Labour Party have done. There is absolutely no criticism of this shambles because they're too busy plotting to get rid of Corbyn. To replace with...? Another pitiful Miliband type no doubt. Seems like a cynical Blairite coup at the worst possible time just because they know Chilcott is round the corner.

Of course the only leadership on show, the only politician doing anything for the people she represents is of course Nicola Sturgeon. I'm Scotttish and I was a Yes voter last time so that right there is about the only saving grace of this whole debacle, that for me it feels very possible, once and for all, that Scotland and my future prospects might be protected with a successful Yes vote. The economy is still going to go through complete turmoil, God knows what currency we will end up with, but frankly none of that matters when the UK which Scotland is a virtual hostage to, has gone completely batshit crazy and reduced itself to ash.

I feel truly sorry for all the Remain voters in England, you do not deserve this. You deserve better and all I can say to you is that in future you need to get motivated, get out on the war path and vote for something better, give it to this disgusting political class you have in Westminster where the options are so narrow and your representatives so shallow and vastly disconnected from the people.

Never thought I'd say this after last time, but does anyone see the Lib dems doing well out of this? Being voted out has largely sheltered them from this mess, so they are in the easiest place to hit the reset button since they aren't in the limelight.

Hasney

Never thought I'd say this after last time, but does anyone see the Lib dems doing well out of this? Being voted out has largely sheltered them from this mess, so they are the easiest place to hit the reset button since they aren't in the limelight.

They've gotten 5,000 new paid members since the referendum on a basis that they think it can be reversed. So yes, they're going all in on the Remain camp and I think it will pay off for them.

PO9JOhb.png

EmiPrime

Never thought I'd say this after last time, but does anyone see the Lib dems doing well out of this? Being voted out has largely sheltered them from this mess, so they are the easiest place to hit the reset button since they aren't in the limelight.

They will make minor gains but UKIP will make big gains next GE so it will be moot.

Zaph

Great OT, would laugh if the whole thing wasn't so crushingly sad.

Slight correction: "Leaving the single market and probably risking a recession"

A recession is pretty much guaranted at this point. If we were to leave the single market, we're risking a depression.

The Sun is a shitrag, but there is something particularly nasty about the entire tone of this article that goes above and beyond their usual baseline of nasty. It's like they're militarising their readers because they know reality is coming so they need them to be blind with anger and rage by then.

I truly believe that anyone who peddled these Leave lies and knew better (which, lets face it, is most of the campaign's leadership and their press) is guilty of treason.

I figure I may as well give some thoughts on this as a 'leave' voter.

I didn't vote leave for 'immigration' as not only was I fairly unaware this was even a thing for the campaign (I mostly ignored campaign stuff as most of it was total junk) but I've never had much issue with free movement of people and even a cursory glance at how the single market works shows that you wouldn't be able to make any deals without acquiescing to it anyhoo; as such I was actually quite surprised/baffled when I finally saw the 'breaking point' poster thingy.

I didn't vote leave expecting the british economy to suddenly rain money on us; quite the opposite in fact, I expected immediate hardships in the short and possibly mid term. Finding out about the ads and bus with that £350m promise just made me shake my head: again, even with my limited understanding of EU, I knew that you can't make a deal to get into the single market without paying into the EU and britain already gets a fairly decent deal on that compared to a lot of other members.

I'm not strongly patriotic/nationalist and never have been so that didn't really factor into my 'leave' either.

Ultimately I voted leave just because I believe in small government. The more 'local' a governing body is, the more say the people in it's constituency have in their policies and who rules them (e.g. scotland almost never votes tory, yet a tory party still ends up dictating their policies most of the time), the less I believe it's likely for economic imbalance to slip by unnoticed/ignored like the situation with the north of england vs the booming south (easier for politicians to feel the effect of something when it's in their local neighbourhood) and I think a decentralised country is likely to be more adaptable (e.g. while westminister might be headless right now, scotland, wales and ireland still have working political structure that could have moved to act on the situation, and maybe even lent aid to the englanders but they cannot because they're not decentralised and so their hands are tied.)
I'm all for free movement of people and trade and whatnot, I just think actual nitty-gritty non-trade policy is better done at a smaller level and I worry about the EU going beyond its original function as a trade block so I wanted the UK to step back and ensure we only interact with them as such rather than getting pulled into some bid to create a political super power of some sort.

I fully expected some devastation of the politcal system (and to be frank, I fully felt it needed gutted) but the dismaying surprise is apparently that nobody seemed to think this outcome would actually happen and so there's been a distinct lack of anyone ready in the wings to swing in and fill the political vacuum.
This could have been an exciting new era for UK politics, as the political battleground was scorched clean allowing for a rare opportunity for any of the smaller parties or even a new party to step forward with some charismatic or effective candidate to rally people behind them... but all we have, sadly, is confused silence. I suspect I've been spoiled with the expectation of people actually having a plan by the scottish referendums :/

I'm also disappointed with the racist/xenophobic elements that have gotten loud in the aftermath: leaving the EU almost has nothing to do with immigration so I'm incredibly angry that Farage has somehow made that even a thing. While the majority will no doubt disapprove of the hate bubbling up, I think we need a strong public figure to really speak out against it if there's to be any effective quelling of it, but the smoking crater of Westminister can't help us there just now :/

I'm fully appreciative of the fact I can be naively idealistic at times, but so far this outcome has definitely been disappointing to me due to assuming someone, somewhere actually thought this would happen and would actually have the vague skeleton of a plan. My worst case scenario was that the only people with a rough idea what to do would be the actual leaders of the leave campaign, but even that apparently wasn't a bad enough prediction to match the crazy outcome that is the reality we're in now. I know politicians can be an irresponsible bunch of jerks but leading a campaign you didn't even want to win and didn't plan on winning that would have enormous consequences for the people of the country is an extra special level of sociopathy I stupidly didn't expect.

When I went into this expecting things to go a bit wrong and yet still end up surprised and dissapointed, then the anger from remain peeps who weren't ready for it is more than understandable, so you have my apologies :/

Mr-Joker

Banned
I feel truly sorry for all the Remain voters in England, you do not deserve this. You deserve better and all I can say to you is that in future you need to get motivated, get out on the war path and vote for something better, give it to this disgusting political class you have in Westminster where the options are so narrow and your representatives so shallow and vastly disconnected from the people.

When it became clear that leave won, I have been making plans to move back to Scotland and hopefully within 2 years I can start a new life there.

I never wanted to live in England in the first place and the referendum just reminded me of that.

Zaph

I figure I may as well give some thoughts on this as a 'leave' voter.

I didn't vote leave for 'immigration' as not only was I fairly unaware this was even a thing for the campaign (I mostly ignored campaign stuff as most of it was total junk) but I've never had much issue with free movement of people and even a cursory glance at how the single market works shows that you wouldn't be able to make any deals without acquiescing to it anyhoo; as such I was actually quite surprised/baffled when I finally saw the 'breaking point' poster thingy.
Had to stop there.

Sorry, but unless you left out the part where you're currently living abroad and voted via post, I just can't believe that.

Had to stop there.

Sorry, but unless you left out the part where you're currently living abroad and voted via post, I just can't believe that.
It's covered by the part right after you quoted. I've mostly been ignoring the campaigns after I decided they were full of crap :/

tuxfool

Banned
I'm fully appreciative of the fact I can be naively idealistic at times, but so far this outcome has definitely been disappointing to me due to assuming someone, somewhere actually thought this would happen and would actually have the vague skeleton of a plan. My worst case scenario was that the only people with a rough idea what to do would be the actual leaders of the leave campaign, but even that apparently wasn't a bad enough prediction to match the crazy outcome that is the reality we're in now. I know politicians can be an irresponsible bunch of jerks but leading a campaign you didn't even want to win and didn't plan on winning that would have enormous consequences for the people of the country is an extra special level of sociopathy I stupidly didn't expect.

If the politicians were presenting fairy tales as reasons for leaving why would they actually have plans in reality?

Hasney

I'm also disappointed with the racist/xenophobic elements that have gotten loud in the aftermath: leaving the EU almost has nothing to do with immigration so I'm incredibly angry that Farage has somehow made that even a thing. While the majority will no doubt disapprove of the hate bubbling up, I think we need a strong public figure to really speak out against it if there's to be any effective quelling of it, but the smoking crater of Westminister can't help us there just now :/

Honestly, great post overall. Don't sorry, although is that voted remain did expect a lot of what happened, there being zero plan was kind of a shock. But I just wanted to say something about the above.

I don't think it's going to be a public figure that stops it, it's going to have to be us. Find out when the EDL or Britain First are having a rally and share it on.Facebook so you can all go and protest it. Let them know they're outnumbered and we'd rather kick them out of the country. Much like the one that got drunk and punched my girlfriend for hanging out with a black man, they're cowards. They wouldn't even dare hit him.

Just be the challenge to racism and xenophobia.I honestly believe it's the only way forward.

Arksy

Oh man if we're all swapping identities for OT2 that means I can pretend to be a remainer!!

Yus totes democratic yo because we elect someone who appoints someone else who appoints someone else who has 100% of the power.

hehehehe!

Izuna

Banned
Oh man if we're all swapping identities for OT2 that means I can pretend to be a remainer!!

Yus totes democratic yo because we elect someone who appoints someone else who appoints someone else who has 100% of the power.

hehehehe!

You sound silly. Almost like you don't understand democracy.

Hasney

hehehehe!

xmlpLDp.gif

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
Farage told [EU] parliament that they were “in denial”. He said hardly any of the MEPs had ever done a proper job in their lives, or created one. “We now offer a beacon of hope to democrats across the European continent,” he said. “The UK will not be the last member state to leave the EU.” He added: “You’re not laughing now, are you?”

Fuck me.

Izuna

Banned
Remember when Farage promised he would quit if UKIP didn't win?

Some fucker went back in time to solve something and made it all worse.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Farage told [EU] parliament that they were “in denial”. He said hardly any of the MEPs had ever done a proper job in their lives, or created one. “We now offer a beacon of hope to democrats across the European continent,” he said. “The UK will not be the last member state to leave the EU.” He added: “You’re not laughing now, are you?”

Fuck me.
Meanwhile:

"Farage is living in his own world," said Dijsselbloem, who is Dutch finance minister, on RTL television. "He thinks Britain is still a world-spanning empire and can dictate everything, and it's not going to happen like that."

Arksy

If the politicians were presenting fairy tales as reasons for leaving why would they actually have plans in reality?

It was a possibility being put to the people, being announced years in advance, with polling showing that the electorate could vote either way.

If the British Public Service have not come up with any sort of plans for the possibilities and potential pathways given a leave vote, with a detailed list of options and contingencies then the British Public Service must be one of the most incompetent in the world and there should be entire departments sacked en masse.

Honestly, great post overall. Don't sorry, although is that voted remain did expect a lot of what happened, there being zero plan was kind of a shock. But I just wanted to say something about the above.

I don't think it's going to be a public figure that stops it, it's going to have to be us. Find out when the EDL or Britain First are having a rally and share it on.Facebook so you can all go and protest it. Let them know they're outnumbered and we'd rather kick them out of the country. Much like the one that got drunk and punched my girlfriend for hanging out with a black man, they're cowards. They wouldn't even dare hit him.

Just be the challenge to racism and xenophobia.I honestly believe it's the only way forward.
Thankies :3

Luckily, Edinburgh has always been a fairly international city so I've not seen anything like that around here, but if I do see someone being an intolerant asshole you can bet I won't stand idly by: I never have before, I'm not about to start now :D
Sorry to hear you've had these creeps messing with you and the people you love though. I hope they get their comeuppance.

I figure I may as well give some thoughts on this as a 'leave' voter...

Thank you for your honesty and explanation. I agree with your ideal of only interacting with the EU as a trading block and stepping back from their objectives, but I think now the reality looks like whatever deal we get means we still abide by their rules but have no say in making them. Unfortunately, it looks like it can never be a simple transactional business relationship.

Having a Brexit movie night to distract myself from the fact that I work for an American bank in (for the moment) the UK.

Children of Men & V for Vendetta are the obvious picks, any other suggestions?

BahamutPT

Yes, directly electing two thirds of your representation in the EU is so undemocratic... Especially when they're the two institutions that can block the legislation created by the "unelected".

SuperSah

Banned
Farage isn't even an MP. I wish people would stop acting like he runs the country.

Yeah, it's hilarious.

People keep 'thanking' him and it's so fucking embarrassing and cringeworthy.

What are you actually thanking this dude for? For lying to you in his campaign?

2MF

https://next.ft.com/content/3901dd48-3cee-11e6-9f2c-36b487ebd80a

Cameron blames Brexit on EU migration failure

claiming that he could have avoided Brexit if European leaders had let him control migration.

No direct quotes, maybe another source has them.

edit - oh, here we go, a direct quote which is at least related:

http://in.reuters.com/article/britain-eu-summit-idINKCN0ZE23E

The Conservative leader said he had reported with sadness on the outcome of the referendum, saying: "People recognised the economic case for staying, but there was a very great concern about movement of people and that was coupled with concern about issues of sovereignty. I think we need to think about that, Europe needs to think about that."

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
He runs the fascist narrative.

No, he legitimises it. The media run it.

The can't just say "let's get rid of all these immigrants" they need to report that someone said that so they prop up UKIP and Farage as some powerful political figure to the point where people now look for his opinion about everything when he literally has no say. He's just a puppet surgically attached to a pint glass used to filter the daily mail rhetoric through.

Thank you for your honesty and explanation. I agree with your ideal of only interacting with the EU as a trading block and stepping back from their objectives, but I think now the reality looks like whatever deal we get means we still abide by their rules but have no say in making them. Unfortunately, it looks like it can never be a simple transactional business relationship.
Uh-huh, I'm starting to think you're correct.
I kind of hoped britain pulling out might shake things up and make them reflect on it a bit, but the lack of a strong voice leading it makes the whole thing feel a bit impotent now :/

Yeah, it's hilarious.

People keep 'thanking' him and it's so fucking embarrassing and cringeworthy.

What are you actually thanking this dude for? For lying to you in his campaign?
Maybe they mistakenly think he's a comedian and his performance at the EU was actually a show? :p

KampferZeon

Neo Member
About EEA in OP, beside freedom of people movement, financial contributions. Should add sovereignity issue,

EEA requires Norway to accept most laws and regulations without having a say during law making.

This includes all the EU’s product standards, financial regulations, employment regulations.

Sovereignty will be ever worse than now under this arrangement. In direct opposite of the Leave campaign sovereignty argument ( Take Back Control, independence day )

Uh-huh, I'm starting to think you're correct.
I kind of hoped britain pulling out might shake things up and make them reflect on it a bit, but the lack of a strong voice leading it makes the whole thing feel a bit impotent now

Even if we had a strong leader, the negotiation outcome and consequences to jobs/economy would still be worse off than if we had stayed in with the status quo :(

Izuna

Banned
No, he legitimises it. The media run it.

The can't just say "let's get rid of all these immigrants" they need to report that someone said that so they prop up UKIP and Farage as some powerful political figure to the point where people now look for his opinion about everything when he literally has no say. He's just a puppet surgically attached to a pint glass used to filter the daily mail rhetoric through.

This book needs a sequel starting from 2016.

4Mi3SAj.jpg

Tyaren

It frustrates me no end how the entire right wing political class of this country has royally fucked this up, from the fairly right Tories to the extreme right UKIP (or Nigel Farage shitshow brigade party), and yet they appear to be getting off Scot-free with barely any real criticism
And by criticism I mean their entire parties being hounded into submission and individual politicians being epically torn to shreds. This is no less than they deserve yet any criticism I've seen is as wishy washy as the politician's efforts during this whole shambles.

Don't worry, they'll get shredded by the same angry mob, that they created, once it sinks in that:
- there will be no access to the single market without free movement of people.
- the UK will still have to pay it's fee.
- the UK will still have to abide to a large part of EU laws and regulations.
- the UK will have no say in the making of these laws and regulations anymore.

This is in each and every way worse than before. It's the exact opposite of taking control.
And this does not even include a very likely recession, rising prices, loss of jobs, no more extensive funding from the EU...and probably loosing Scotland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom