• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

It's made abundantly in the game, not least the Orzammar / Brood Mother plotlines. It would actually more be mind-blowing if someone managed to play through the game without knowing this.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
So, Ni no Kuni just came out and it's music is composed by the amazing Joe Hisaishi (all of the Hayao Miyazaki movies). The main song, heard here has vocals performed by vocalist "Mai".

"Mai" is actually Hisaishi's daughter!

Rocwell

I was never a huge mega man fan but... I just realized the Proto Man/Zero connection.

Protoman.gif

148oe1y.jpg

It's like a different version of the same guy! :O The color scheme, the scarf/ponytail, the helmet style, even the names are kind of related as well.

McNum

Rocwell said:
I was never a huge mega man fan but... I just realized the Proto Man/Zero connection.

http://www.freewebs.com/megamanrage/Protoman.gif[IMG]

[IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/148oe1y.jpg[IMG]

It's like a different version of the same guy! :O The color scheme, the scarf/ponytail, the helmet style, even the names are kind of related as well.[/QUOTE]
There's an even better relation. All Megaman robots have a serial number. Proto Man is 000.

The Famicom (the original Japanese version of the NES) included a microphone on the second controller. In the Japanese version of the Legend of Zelda, speaking into the mic would help kill Pols Voices.

FoxSpirit

Ondore said:
Wouldn't that make sense for a Proto-type?

Yes. The thing is... 000=Zero
Pretty nifty.

TacticalFox88, we already had that, including a quote from the US manual where it says that the Pols are sensitive to loud noises which does only make sense with that info.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Rocwell said:

Protoman.gif

148oe1y.jpg

It's like a different version of the same guy! :O The color scheme, the scarf/ponytail, the helmet style, even the names are kind of related as well.
Except Wily really made Zero, and without using Protoman as a base. He taunts Bass about building his replacement at the end of Power Battle 2.

Then again, I guess you could argue Wily helped build Protoman. Bah.

Rocwell said:

All that, except Protoman actually has good character design. Unlike Zero and his goofy ponytail and absurd green orb breasts.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Starwolf_UK said:
So remember during the Brawl Iwata Asks Sakurai said how final smashes were planned from Super Smash Bros 64 and the lines were recorded. Well we have evidence now.

The lines were left in the game (thats the one for Ness). I guess Captain Falcon was the only other character who talked...

It looks like they were also planned for Melee also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBOOnWHAzaY#t=15s

Blue falcon final smash?

Also mind blowing is that Marth says something in english.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBOOnWHAzaY#t=28s

Let's dance!

karobit

TunaLover said:
In Waku Waku 7

n6q9uf.jpg

It looks kinda like a bullet bill, could be?
I'm not sure how common are bullet with faces are in Japan...

Well if you wanted to anthropomorphize a bullet, how would you do it?

Rocwell said:

Other than being the same color, they literally have nothing in common. How are "Protoman/Blues" and "Zero" names related?

Lesath

kai3345 said:
The Darkspawn of Dragon Age: Origins, are essentialy zombies. I've played this game numerous times and never noticed the similarity between the darkspawn and the races of Ferelden.

Humans become Hurlocks

Dwarves - Genlocks

Elves - Shrieks

Qunari - Ogres

Not exactly. If you read the Codexes and pay attention to the crazy dwarf lady's rhyme, what essentially happens is that the Darkspawn capture females of various races, spew taint into their mouths, and then violate them (whether sexually or otherwise, the game is not clear). This, in turn, transforms them into cannibalistic brood mothers that pump out Darkspawn. Human broodmothers give birth to hurlocks, dwarfs genlocks, etc.

bjork

TacticalFox88 said:
The Famicom (the original Japanese version of the NES) included a microphone on the second controller. In the Japanese version of the Legend of Zelda, speaking into the mic would help kill Pols Voices.

In Takeshi's Challenge, you had to sing karaoke for one hour straight using that controller mic.

jaxword

"Yeees! It's the Bucket Mouse! Thanks for calling!"

You know this line from Link's Awakening?

Turns out it was a mistranslation all along. It's supposed to be Bucketmouth, a popular fish store in Japan back then.

I think the Zelda team liked it, as they made a reference to said store in OOT as well.

That's one mystery solved!

ReyVGM

Want to know why Marle was shown throwing fire in the boxart of the SNES Chrono Trigger?

(I know boxarts are/were made before the games are finished.)

Read below for the answer.

A refresher, the SNES Chrono Trigger boxart:

chrono.jpg

Chrono Trigger beta screens (top left pic):

Chronotriggeregmpage2.jpg

Marle is throwing FIRE. Mystery solved. But that's not good part...

Compare that pic to the box art... it's exactly the same! I'm willing to bet my two marbles that this screenshot was what the boxart artist used as inspiration. Same enemy, same character positions, same area.

Mind blown.

ReyVGM

bjork said:
In Takeshi's Challenge, you had to sing karaoke for one hour straight using that controller mic.

That is a myth which has already been proven to be a big fat lie. There is no instance where the game forces you to stand or sing anything for any kind of ridiculous amounts of time.

I played and beat the game and none of the bad stuff people say about the game are true (except for the part of being a bad game).

And the only people that keep spreading that kind of misinformation about the game are people that haven't played the game or bothered to check if they are not spreading bullshiz.

pakkit

Banned
ReyVGM said:
Compare that pic to the box art... it's exactly the same! I'm willing to bet my two marbles that this screenshot was what the boxart artist used as inspiration. Same enemy, same character positions, same area.

Mind blown.
Nice!

I shall spare your two marbles, this time.

Zezboob

ReyVGM said:

Mind blown.
Good one !

Cheerilee

ReyVGM said:
Well, the box artist is Akira Toriyama, of Dragonball Z fame. He designed Chrono, Marle, Frog, and that enemy monster. Those characters were all made based on his drawings. It's possible that Toriyama originally drew that battle scene, and then Square went out of their way to re-create the exact scene. Re-creating Toriyama's art was part of Square's job at the time. Although if they did, they should've left it possible for players to re-create the scene.

Either that or Toriyama was involved with the game's development for a longer time than just the start, and he was sent images of the (near) finished game so he could create final art that better reflected the game's essence.

In any case, one was definitely based on the other, and it's definitely cool.

jaxword

ReyVGM said:
chrono.jpg

Great catch! That's definitely where Toriyama based the art off, as he would have been involved in the design process and would have been shown beta screens for artwork suggestions.

It should be noted that the art isn't a mistake, though, since Marle DOES throw fire in the Arc Impulse triple tech, which has Crono bounce off Frog with a firey sword.

There's artwork of Frog tripping over some books which can also been seen in-game, but only in one of the endings.

jaxword said:
"Yeees! It's the Bucket Mouse! Thanks for calling!"

You know this line from Link's Awakening?

Turns out it was a mistranslation all along. It's supposed to be Bucketmouth, a popular fish store in Japan back then.

I think the Zelda team liked it, as they made a reference to said store in OOT as well.

That's one mystery solved!

Cool. What was the reference in OoT? I don't recall.

jaxword

Leondexter said:
Cool. What was the reference in OoT? I don't recall.

The owner of the fishing pond in OOT was a caricature of the Bucketmouth owner. However, you'd probably have to live in Japan to get that reference, so it's totally lost to us here in the Us.

PokéKong

Here is something I made a long time ago for reasons I'm not sure of, probably something to do with how Quote's sprite is creepily staring right at you the whole game, instead of in the direction he's moving like I assumed he was.

288qiht.jpg

jaxword said:
Great catch! That's definitely where Toriyama based the art off, as he would have been involved in the design process and would have been shown beta screens for artwork suggestions.

It should be noted that the art isn't a mistake, though, since Marle DOES throw fire in the Arc Impulse triple tech, which has Crono bounce off Frog with a firey sword.

There's artwork of Frog tripping over some books which can also been seen in-game, but only in one of the endings.
Arc Impulse is not a fire attack. The color ingame probably comes from this earlier 'beta' version where she uses fire.

I do think the screen shows Arc Impulse btw, Crono just bumped of Frog there.

jaxword

Notorious_Roy said:
Arc Impulse is not a fire attack. The color ingame probably comes from this earlier 'beta' version where she uses fire.

I do think the screen shows Arc Impulse btw, Crono just bumped of Frog there.

I didn't mean it was a fire attack, dude. I was talking about how Arc Impulse has a firey sword animation, as many frames are yellow-flame-colored.

You can see it for yourself, here's a random video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CDtLTTeoec

He uses it at 2:50, for example.

jaxword said:
I didn't mean it was a fire attack, dude. I was talking about how Arc Impulse has a firey sword animation, as many frames are yellow-flame-colored.

You can see it for yourself, here's a random video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CDtLTTeoec

He uses it at 2:50, for example.
Well, you said Marle throws fire, which she doesn't. Anyway, the flames are there from the beta version I think. Like I said before.

jaxword

Notorious_Roy said:
Well, you said Marle throws fire, which she doesn't. Anyway, the flames are there from the beta version I think. Like I said before.

Dude, come on, that's just being pedantic. I could say "Marle throws a small 2x4 white pixel that turns Chrono's sword into yellow flames" but that would be excessive as I think people understood just fine without being deliberately obtuse.

The flames are there in-game. So, if anything, the firey graphics in the current game are a leftover the beta version.

bjork

ReyVGM said:
That is a myth which has already been proven to be a big fat lie. There is no instance where the game forces you to stand or sing anything for any kind of ridiculous amounts of time.

I played and beat the game and none of the bad stuff people say about the game are true (except for the part of being a bad game).

And the only people that keep spreading that kind of misinformation about the game are people that haven't played the game or bothered to check if they are not spreading bullshiz.

You're right, I don't have a famicom or this game to play it on. All I can go by is all the things I read across a slew of sites and videos I watched, etc. Go ahead and link to the faq you wrote, but if I don't have a means to play it, how do I know you're any more or less truthful than anyone else online?

jaxword

Notorious_Roy said:
Okay, now you're agreeing with me. Great. :) Let's end this.

...I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing. I already said the beta image is clearly where Toriyama got the inspiration for that SPECIFIC art and background. The in-game graphics of Arc Impulse have Marle casting some fire sword, so it's there too, and not a mistake. There is no need for childish internet one-upmanship, there's no "end" or "win", just those facts.

Anyways, moving on to actual new content:

Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past has more than one sequel. And most people know Link's Awakening...but there's another one that never made it to America!

Which fans translated to:

It was on that Nintendo Satellite system which was Nintendo's early attempt at DLC in the 90s. And since Zelda's continuity is snarled up as it is, there's obviously some debate as to whether it's canon or not. I doubt anyone at Nintendo even remembers it anymore.

Plot-wise, it seems to take place while Link is away on his training journey and some new Hyrule heroes, a boy and girl, have to step up.

http://www.zeldawiki.org/BS_The_Legend_of_Zelda:_The_Ancient_Stone_Tablets

LuFel

ReyVGM said:
Want to know why Marle was shown throwing fire in the boxart of the SNES Chrono Trigger?

(I know boxarts are/were made before the games are finished.)

Read below for the answer.

A refresher, the SNES Chrono Trigger boxart:

chrono.jpg

My mind is blow by that.

Top Bottom