• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puzzle & Dragons |OT4| Co-op Edition: Stoning With Friends

zo8KVeS.gif

Now with 10x the number of actual dragons.

A05mKDC.png

Puzzle & Dragons is a free-to-play action puzzle RPG for smartphones. The game has an insane amount of depth considering how simple the game mechanics are, and is still going strong nearly four years after release. Download from the links below:

us_flag_icon_sugarislife28_by_sugarislife28-d6gnlqi.gif

eu_flag_icon.gif

There are also versions for JP, KR, HK, and TW, but you probably aren't going to be downloading those if you are reading this.

JhDguyM.png

No seriously, PAD is an insanely complex game, enough that you could call it an MMO. Players have written volumes about the game over the years.

The official website has a large number of video tutorials created by players to help you learn all the mechanics of the game. There are also a variety of written guides by the community if you prefer a text-based solution:
4chan Guide
SomethingAwful Guide
Wikia Guide

General Tips
Here's a few basic patterns for "solving" portions of the board for you to start learning. As you get more confident in your orb matching skills, you can chain techniques together for big combos and big damage.
y9IvO.png

At the end of the tutorial, you get one free pull on the Rare Egg Machine. If you are planning on playing the game for the long haul, some players recommend restarting your game until you get an "acceptable" rare monster. A good starter will help you bypass the early grindwall and help you launch into more interesting content sooner. "Rerolling" during Godfests, which typically occur at the start and middle of each month, can help cut the time spent not playing the game dramatically. The above guides cover what monsters you should reroll for.

It was once true that a good starting pull would be your ticket into endgame. This is no longer true: many catchup mechanics have been added to the game to help you reach the point where you can tackle new content as it releases; however endgame now requires teams consisted predominantly or solely of rare-egg-machine only monsters. Your first God is no longer an accurate predictor of the teams you'll be running months down the road, so don't sweat not having the best of the best. You'll gradually roll good monsters over time.

k9lJ423.png

PADGuide is the essential companion app, providing schedules, monster stats, dungeon information, and more. Its primary benefit is allowing you to set alarms for guerilla dungeons. Android version
PadHerder helps you to manage and share your collection of monsters. Most of us prefer you link to your padherder when asking for advice rather than taking screenshots of your monster box. Android players can sometimes use PadListener to automatically sync your box instead of manually managing everything. iOS users... you're kinda shit outta luck unless you want to jump through a bunch of hoops with proxies and SSH certificates.
PuzzleAndDragonsX is the go-to website for news and information for the English versions of the game.
PADF is the largest English message board dedicated to PAD.

YzKFfXU.png

GAF Friends List
We maintain a (somewhat up-to-date) list of GAF players on this Google Doc. Add a GAF tag somewhere in your ingame name and feel free to send friend requests to any of us: using our OP endgame monsters, you can often trivialize parts of the game you wouldn't be able to tackle with pubbies.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...nAZIcerDOAlFA/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=655390433

Previous Threads
Puzzle & Dragons |OT| Pokemon + Bejeweled + Dungeon RPG on iOS/Android
Puzzle & Dragons |OT2| Don't Ask, Just Reroll
Puzzle & Dragons |OT3| Come for the rolls, stay for the trolls

Wall of Shame
nwpw4Zx.png

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
What a time to be alive - that Wall of Shame :eek:

I need that 3 minute stamina refresh update asap so i dont feel bad anymore for screwing up 100 stamina stages.

PS. Bestcat > Your Favorite Waifu

jay23

The first image is incredible, but it's missing the most popular monsters in the game those OP dragons you start out with.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Happy OT4 everyone. I don't think I even played Halo 3 for this long...(well the online community dwindled dramatically the third year)

Id like to say welcome to the new guys to this thread as well.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
250 days and I have my first Awoken. Awoken Horus at last! This will help me clear a whole new slew of dungeons, I think.

And Awoken Ra soon too. One thing I didn't realize is that Awokens are super hard to skill up (as they have different skills than their preevolutions), guess I'm just gonna have to hoard Piis when they give them out. I think that's a better way of going about things as opposed to keeping them unevolved forever until they're skilled up whenever.

hermit7

Beat Volsung a little while ago.

Overall it is the easiest of these level 1 dungeons.

Ran i&i/bvalk/karin/orochi/andromeda/ryune.

Only plus eggs were on friend ryune but most cards were maxed except for andromeda (lvl3).

I had to pop Orochi on hera because I had no hearts and was able to stall for 5 turns and get some skills back up.

On floor 9 I stalled as long as possible and then burst when j was about to hit the damage threshold.

Floor 10 I was dumb, and thought the turn increase was below 90 percent. Alas it was above and I needed to stall for 7 turns before I could use skills. Thankfully with the rcv boost I just needed to manage health and make sure I cleared enough of the board to have hearts drop. Finally had my skills back up (Orochi had 3 more turns) popped karin, ryune, and i&i. Stalled with Orochi and popped valk for a mostly blue board and made rows. Had andromeda up next turn in case it was needed but he fell.

razterik

Kitties and Freyja's legs on the GAF banner got me good. Nice start to OT4.

Any JP besties got A.Astaroth leveled up? Want to farm Zeus Mercury a bit to finish out 10x.

J0dy77

New thread smell. Can't believe we're on ot4.

Finally finished off Sarasvati skillup, was surprisingly painless. Gungho knew my desire sensor was low.

yami4ct

New OT day! Yay. Can't believe we've gotten to OT4. The PAD train just rolls and rolls.

This Awoken Lucifer team is an investment. I need to make both Zeus Ults. I should be completely ready one he gets here, though, so that should be fun.

Well, I still need to figure out a way to skill up D/D Haku. Might have to resort to invades. That sounds awful.

FZZ

Banned
Yuria is best waifu

Your cats are trash

When Co-op comes you shall all see how amazing
ly mediocre
I am

razterik

Sorry if it's too late, but I put mine up in case you still need one.

Yay, thanks! Waiting a bit for stamina to rank up, but if you can keep her there for a while, that'd be great.

I've wasted too much effort trying to get a decent ranking out of the JP Satan cup. Even with double Verdandi subs on ShivDra and 7+ combo counts, I can't get below 30%. Don't know why I bothered, but it was nice ranking higher up last time.

Trying to understand this picture
Is that a boobie?

It's the bottom half of Freyja's unevolved form. As for why Cosmo chose that particular bit...

hermit7

Had a pretty decent pad day was able to evo Astaroth and have all the mats except for a second red orb for freyr.

Not sure what use he will be, but he will be available to use.

Hopefully God rush comes around so I can get an evoed Zeus for Loki and a. Luci for when they come.

Happy OT4, everyone! I think it's the first time I've missed the wall of shame! Lol. Still playing regularly and following the thread even though I'm not as active in posting lately. Nice to see a lot of the newer players take up the slack though.

cw_sasuke

Challenge level 10 cleared, had to stone on Vishnu though because I didn't brought along a cleric or delay.. Still more or less a perfect run. Always off to a good start if I can one shot Hera-Ur. 3x3 Wood orb combos were just enough for all my subs to hit Vishnu without exceeding 1m damage per unit.

How does this even work? Bestcat>Bastet?
But but.. Bastet is Bestcat xD

cw_sasuke

Challenge Desc. 6 is showing up on PDX for tomorrow with Jewels/Pii as rewards.

Thats cool - need to get the final Badpy for Yomidra.

J0dy77

Congrats on OT4 guys!

Funny to see the same names STILL on the wall of shame! ;)

I was thinking the same thing. We've had a really great group of core players that have stuck through all 4OT. Definitively wouldn't have played this long without our threads.

Quantum

Congrats OT4!

Still playing every day, still taking a break from positing and following the news about the game daily as it was raising my blood pressure too much.

I noticed I was removed from the gaf friends list, I'll try not to take it personally.

- Love the Title.
- I think its a knee.

edit: (I'm adding my name tot he list again, and holy shit I've never posted enough on any site to make a wall of shame.)
edit 2: suggestion - add "estimated rank" to the friends list - I have recently gotten one of the people who works with me into the game but didn't explain rank - he had trouble understanding why he could only use my mob for an hour after I refreshed.

Bladelaw

Well I finally have awoken Bastet! I'll try and run the Sphnix a couple more times because I can theoretically snag the parts for Awoken Ra too.

razterik

I noticed I was removed from the gaf friends list, I'll try not to take it personally.

It's a brand new list?

Durr, I only now noticed there's a JP page on it and that's where my alt should go. I'll fix that later when I can get on a PC, spreadsheets never work well for me on iOS.

Rixa

Todays achievements. ZVulcan total of 3 tries with YomiDra team. Leonine King 2 tries (same team), CH7 2 tries: Verd/Verd/Vishnu/A.Orochi/GZL team. I still dont like ZVulcan dungeon :D. Time to max skill A.Lakshmi, next to A.Orochi...

smbu2000

Well I didn't have that much time to play during this past event. I did manage to get my Ragnarok Dragon just 30 plus eggs shy of hyper. I'm missing 30 ATK eggs for him, which were the plus eggs I gave to Persephone to finish her off at the start, heh. Looking forward to using him.

On my iPad, I managed to max skill my Ariel with only 15 of the skill up monsters. I went 2/5, 2/5 and 1/5 to finish her off. Now I just need to evo/uevo her. I also started giving plus eggs to Yuria now that my YD team is finished. (for now) Not sure how often I'll use my Yuria team, but I'd like to try her out. Currently have Yuria/Saria/Ariel/Apocalypse/Kanna as my team...Only Saria is hyper, the rest are max skilled. Would like to get Baal in there too if once I uevo him, finish skilling him up.

Ended up finishing at 12% (108k score) on the Satan ranking dungeon on my iPhone with my YD team. Only tried the dungeon twice, so not bad. I'll see if I can do better next time.

linsivvi

Went 10/29 on Volsung, much easier than I expected.

Just need Ilsix and Zeus Mercury and it will start to see some action.

FZZ

Banned
Is there a specific time to do an ultimate evolution or should you do it as soon as you get the evo material?

Make sure you have the cost for your team, and that you've weighted the benefits of doing a specific uevo over a different one

Other than that, go for it

Well I didn't have that much time to play during this past event. I did manage to get my Ragnarok Dragon just 30 plus eggs shy of hyper. I'm missing 30 ATK eggs for him, which were the plus eggs I gave to Persephone to finish her off at the start, heh. Looking forward to using him.

How's Ragnarok Dragon? What types of teams are you running with him

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Anyone main A.Yomi? I need some tips on how to really maximize my damage with him. My current team is Yomi/Yomi + Z8/AHaku/Diza and either Pandora or Pers.

J0dy77

Anyone main A.Yomi? I need some tips on how to really maximize my damage with him. My current team is Yomi/Yomi + Z8/AHaku/Diza and either Pandora or Pers.

That's a solid team for him/her, it really comes down to getting consistent dark orbs to keep the damage going and practice. Are you consistently hitting seven combos with a 5 match? If not, just keep practicing.

I personally like kirin more, she's more flexible with subs and it is easier for me to keep consistent damage. Playing kirin a lot has upped my game with yomi as a result though.

Are we still friend nico? I always have hypermax yomi in slot 1. 391130292

So after beating my head against the wall all week and finally getting through challenge 9, I one shot challenge 10. Screw Ilsix again.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
That's a solid team for him/her, it really comes down to getting consistent dark orbs to keep the damage going and practice. Are you consistently hitting seven combos with a 5 match? If not, just keep practicing.

I personally like kirin more, she's more flexible with subs and it is easier for me to keep consistent damage. Playing kirin a lot has upped my game with yomi as a result though.

So after beating my head against the wall all week and finally getting through challenge 9, I one shot challenge 10. Screw Ilsix again.

No, I think that's what I need to work on. Does making 2 sets of 5 trigger Yomi's ability again? Or am I better off doing 5 + 3 + 2 (hope for skyfall)?

Oh and here's a silly question...Are there any good places that list smart latent choices? I have a few just hanging in my box and don't know what to do with them.

Top Bottom