• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 does movie level cgi visuals. eyeball gif fiesta.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'm amazed people still get excited over bullshit target renders.

Never forget that Madden demo from 2005.

I'm sure they were. And I'm also sure the final games will look much worse. They always do.

That's another question entirely.

The renders from the PS3 reveal revealed no hint of being in realtime. They were technically flawless. Meanwhile, today's demos displayed several flaws like flickering, tearing and weird DOF issues. They dont contain any effects that arent already being done in high end PC games. The only possibilty of foul play is that they were pre recorded off of prototype hardware and touched up or sped up.

Yasae

Banned
Deep Down is obviously real-time. EatChildren went over the numerous (i.e. not that many) artifacts present, so unless they were intentionally added, it wasn't CGI. It does seem like a target and/or conceptual mock-up, though, so there may be a downgrade. Anything in the vicinity of that is still exceptional.

The whole talk of movie level CGI is an insane expectation. Saying games are inching ever closer to CGI is reasonable. This gen is actually starting to blur the lines, at least in regards to lower budget or older CGI references (even that kind of performance is amazing; we're expecting 100 times too much this go around I see...)

CGI is a moving target, so it is not a very fair expectation for games to look as good as high end current cgi. Most of these games look better than CG from the PS2 era however.

RiverBed

Banned
Knack could have fooled me for an animation movie. Nitpickers, grow up. It's about the appearance however you do it (smoke and mirrors or the real thing). If Capcom's demo is what they can do year one, then the answer is a 'yes' to finally having in-game assets that could be passed as CGI or CGI-ish.
I mean, I sometimes accidentally get fooled into thinking a FIFA game is a real match and that is current gen.

TheD

The Detective
Knack could have fooled me for an animation movie. Nitpickers, grow up. It's about the appearance however you do it (smoke and mirrors or the real thing). If Capcom's demo is what they can do year one, then the answer is a 'yes' to finally having in-game assets that could be passed as CGI or CGI-ish.
I mean, I sometimes get fooled into thinking a FIFA game is a real match if I happen accidentally sometimes and that is current gen.

It is not nitpicking!
The "it looks like CGI" bullshit is flat out wrong!

Hyperbole is Hyperbole.

Get over it!

dan2026

The only one that actually screamed gameplay to me was Watchdogs.

And that terrible screen tearing killed it, v-sync people v-sync!

Oh and Knack looked cool as well.

Ushojax

No they wont lol. KZ SF and Watchdogs if anything will look better.

lol

People have been saying that for 15 years. It never happens.

These games look nice but are they an order of magnitude better than the best from this gen? Not to me. I'm sure they are pushing all kinds of fancy shit behind the scenes but the end result is nothing mind blowing. If you'd told me that Deep Down was a PS3 trailer I wouldn't dispute it.

nib95

Banned
lol

People have been saying that for 15 years. It never happens.

These games look nice but are they an order of magnitude better than the best from this gen? Not to me. I'm sure they are pushing all kinds of fancy shit behind the scenes but the end result is nothing mind blowing. If you'd told me that Deep Down was a PS3 trailer I wouldn't dispute it.

Huh? Happens every time with Guerrilla Games, that is, the final game being graphically improved over everything they'd shown of the game prior. Also lol at Deep Down being a PS3 game.

Ushojax

Welp. Time to get an eye surgery then.

I'm saying it looks like the standard bullshit, pre-canned reveal trailers that we have seen for many PS3 games, that never matched the final game.

It's just not that big a leap to me. When we get a playable demo with those animations and an environment that isn't dark, underground and with three characters, I might be impressed.

nib95

Banned
I'm saying it looks like the standard bullshit, pre-canned reveal trailers that we have seen for many PS3 games, that never matched the final game.

It's just not that big a leap to me. When we get a playable demo with those animations and an environment that isn't dark, underground and with three characters, I might be impressed.

Firstly, those PS3 demo's you speak of were CGI, these demo's were all running in real time or actual gameplay.

Secondly....have you actually played KZ2/KZ3? They went above and beyond graphical expectations imo. If you're talking about gameplay, well that's even more subjective and too soon to judge imo.

zoukka

Fair enough.

Killzone was clearly a real game being played at the stage.

Deep Down was basically in-engine cinematics. And I don't expect fire to look like that in the end product.

TUROK

35201293317110.jpg

We're getting pretty damn close to this, maybe even surpassed it in some aspects.

This.
So far, I haven't seen any actual gameplay. Just trailers.

Firstly, those PS3 demo's you speak of were CGI, these demo's were all running in real time or actual gameplay.

Secondly....have you actually played KZ2/KZ3? They went above and beyond graphical expectations imo. If you're talking about gameplay, well that's even more subjective and too soon to judge imo.

What game play did you see? You mean 'Deep Down' that had a little hub on the bottom left, yet the camera never stayed behind the character?

nib95

Banned
What game play did you see? You mean 'Deep Down' that had a little hub on the bottom left, yet the camera never stayed behind the character?

Killzone Shadow Fall. And it was mentioned that Agni's philosophy and Unreal 4 were running in real time. I'm also pretty confident Deep Down was too.

Killzone Shadow Fall. And it was mentioned that Agni's philosophy and Unreal 4 were running in real time. I'm also pretty confident Deep Down was too.

That "gameplay" footage (where your actually holding the gun), didn't really look all that impressive to me.

Yasae

Banned
We need better sourcing. The compressed conference streams just aren't cutting it quality wise, and this time around resolutions are consistently high enough to justify IQ ballyhoo.

500 MB files or bust.

C.T.

The most impressive thing about Killzone is the color palette. Next gen has more colors than brown, dark green, olive green, sepia and black!

The most impressive thing about Killzone is the color palette.

Nah...the draw distance was where it's at, 8Gb of RAM in full effect, no pop up or streaming from HD install is the true significance of it.

Also the amount of physics on show was pretty incredible.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Nah...the draw distance was where it's at, 8Gb of RAM in full effect, no pop up or streaming from HD install is the true significance of it.

Also the amount of physics on show was pretty incredible.

Actually. The lack of destructible environments was a concern but it's early days and it looks stunning. Can't wait to play this.

It is. Not all CGI is Pixar level. Unless you are on about IQ or texture resolution or something...

I think most people expect ILM,WETA and Pixar level as CGI not some sweat shop somewhere in the middle of nowhere as cgi doing $10 smoke effects. :)

It was cool to see more natural lighting in those demo with 8gb it should give them more options to bake in the lighting. Maybe between different times(day/night) and interpolate between them to fake dynamic lighting i don't even know that is possible.

orioto

Good Art™
So many crows will be eaten...
The amount of butthurt and damage control today i swear :p

From "oh it's target render again" to "oh but it's not avengers cgi, boooouuu" lol

Basically a bunch a people trying to convince themselves they don't need a new console.
Would be good for your wallet (and mine) if next gen was totally disappointing and the leap so small you wouldn't see the diff with the WiiU, but this is not going to happen. Each generation brings its share of mind fuck, and this one won't change that...

I really don't know where does that "videogame are dead, we won't be impressed anymore" fad came from...

Yeah, visiting Gaf the past two generations, it is best to view these early releases with high scepticism. I am still hyped but I don't believe any of the graphics that were not clearly gameplay. Also, I expect the graphics to improve as the generation improves. Plus, we still haven't seen a lot of major upcoming first party PS4 titles.

I want to see PD.

I'm pretty sure your memory is a bit hazy. Do what I did. Go back and read the comments from the PS3 launch. People were saying the exact same thing and that there's no way the PS3 could achieve what it did.

If this gen is any indication, I'm 100% confident that the PS4 will go way beyond what we've seen so far.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
So many crows will be eaten...
The amount of butthurt and damage control today i swear :p

From "oh it's target render again" to "oh but it's not avengers cgi, boooouuu" lol

Basically a bunch a people trying to convince themselves they don't need a new console.
Would be good for your wallet (and mine) if next gen was totally disappointing and the leap so small you wouldn't see the diff with the WiiU, but this is not going to happen. Each generation brings its share of mind fuck, and this one won't change that...

I really don't know where does that "videogame are dead, we won't be impressed anymore" fad came from...
From their arse, of course! Looking forward to more gameplay demonstrations at this E3, especially some open world games(hopefully).

Bread

Banned
The gif of the guy walking through the cave is awe-inspiring, if we get anything close to those graphics in the next 2 years, I'll be ecstatic. I just wish consoles were on board with Oculus Rift.

Krabardaf

If Deep Down isn't CGI, I will shat my pants.

Well shit it now cause it sure ain't CG.

Probably not in game gameplay neither though.

Why so much suspicion? It's almost like the overwhelming negativity of GAF last months ruined any hope of seeing games graphically better than what we have. Next gen is a big leap, games are improving accordingly.

It was cool to see more natural lighting in those demo with 8gb it should give them more options to bake in the lighting. Maybe between different times(day/night) and interpolate between them to fake dynamic lighting i don't even know that is possible.

If anything, this gen is going to be the one of dynamic lighting and GI, so i doubt we'll see many tricks with lightmaps, we're heading into fully dynamic everything. Even those reflections, just look at KZ, they're everywhere. At the moment we knew we were heading to DX11 equivalent GPUs, we could already have called that.

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
DriveClub: CGI
The Capcom thing: Blatant CGI
Agni Philosophy: CGI
Knack: meh
Killzone: CGI too, don't get fooled again.
Watchdogs: not that impressive after playing Sleeping Dogs on PC

Yeah, im very skeptical about what i saw last night.

SuperÑ;48025774 said:
DriveClub: CGI
The Capcom thing: Blatant CGI
Agni Philosophy: CGI
Knack: meh
Killzone: CGI too, don't get fooled again.
Watchdogs: not that impressive after playing Sleeping Dogs on PC

Yeah, im very skeptical about what i saw last night.

Not only are you sceptical, but you also seem to be clueless/misinformed.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
How do you guys know Watch Dogs was running on PC ?

A Ubisoft told Geoff on their live aftershow, they have it running on PS4 hardware, but this was a fuller version of the game running off of PC, I can't see them having any problems with PS4 hardware at this point though when this is a cross-gen game.

Top Bottom