• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Adam Sessler tweeting about being afraid and having to leave the industry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCasey

May have something to do with not allowing PS4 footage. Basically no video reviews for PS4 games is what I remember reading.

xk2OyDP.jpg

Here they are for others.

My best answer is that either Microsoft or Sony are probably not allowing ANY captured footage from their next gen console, dramatically limiting the video content Sessler and Revision 3 can put out.

Edit: Or monitization, yeah. That seems most likely.

NYR

All about video capture. Issue with creating content. Both legal and technical hurdles.

Was just about to make this thread.

First his wife posted on his twitter that it was specifically about a videogame corporation's decision.

"My concerns are about my livelihood being dramatically affected by corporate decisions. This will have a nominal effect on you as a consumer"

"I am desperately attempting to resolve the issue but the company at issue has been methodically unresponsive, hence my cryptic nature."

"Yes I am being passive aggressive in my behavior because I don't see another avenue to clarity, I know they watch this feed."

"This only affects myself and a handful of my colleagues who practice a particular form of coverage of the industry."

"I'm sorry if I'm being annoying but I'm having to consider new professional avenues, it's that serious. I'm still human and scared.."

edit: beaten :(

gazele

Banned
All speculation at this point, but could be Sony restricting video content or the de-monetization of youtube

Squire

Banned
If I had to guess, a company in the industry is trying to alter the media's use (monetization) of video footage of games. Sessler trades on this alone really, so it would effect him in a big way. Someone like Jeff Gerstmann or Arthur Gies might not be as bothered because, ultimately, they're writers, so they can possibly trade on that alone, should worst come to worst.

Again, I'm guessing entirely.

Yeah, seems like Microsoft is likely in full damage control mode following the debacle earlier this year. There's no way it is Sony, the PS4's share button means there will be PS4 footage all over the internet hours after the system launches.

All speculation at this point, but could be Sony restricting video content or the de-monetization of youtube

His wife said it was specific to a video game corporation's decision.

I can't see how Sessler's main content (heavily edited video reviews and previews) wouldn't be protected under fair use.

jayu26

May have something to do with not allowing PS4 footage. Basically no video reviews for PS4 games is what I remember reading.

I was waiting for this. If this is the case, why would he want to leave his profession? He would simply use Xbone for video capture. Think mate, think...

reKon

Banned
So I would assume it being Sony not allowing him to monetize off of doing reviews, showing footage, and discussing games? If so that's a huge blow that would affect other smaller companies.

Minions

Hm... I wonder if it has anything to do with Microsofts reviews blackout. (probably not, who knows);

Must be a pretty large company if it is threatening his job entirely. He already confirmed it is not his employer (revision 3) or their owner (discovery);

Hopefully this gets resolved, I really like his realistic opinions.... he tends to cut the fluff.

So this is related to Sony? Interesting if true. I wonder why they wouldn't want people to talk about the previews of games/console.

From what I read at the other thread, it seems it's because he did not get a PS4 devkit for capturing, and he can't capture with retail PS4s because there you cant turn off HDCP at the moment (will be patched later). But there are cheap HDMI splitters which can strip the copy protection, and it seems he doesn't know about this.

rrs

It's something about broadcasting footage from PS4 and/or XB1 hitting legality snags more than likely.

Lunar15

I guarantee you it's about video monetization or copyright issues regarding showing gameplay footage in videos.

No idea why we can't hear more about it though.

gogojira

I'm still a little confused as to why threads get locked besides obvious shilling or trolling. Did I do something wrong? I'd have posted tweet pics but I'm on a phone.

I'd imagine because there's not much substance here. Sorry, I came across like a bit of a jerk. It's actually interesting because something is happening, but at this point it's speculation at vague tweets.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Jeff Gerstmann's tumblr

Anonymous asked:Without getting into details I'm sure you won't get into, are you/Giant Bomb affected by whatever news is bothering Sessler & co.?

Perhaps I’d be a little more worked up about things if I was running the sort of site that was going to try to write reviews of every single launch game, I don’t know. The only thing I can think of that’d be bothering people at the moment is hardware distribution or the lack thereof. I’ve been around plenty of other writers recently and no one’s been too worked up about anything. So either I’m out of the loop or… yeah, I don’t know.

Console launches are always incredibly fluid situations and everything comes together late. There’s never enough information and clarity is hard to come by. I try not to get too worked up about things that are completely out of my control.

Replicant

I was waiting for this. If this is the case, why would he want to leave his profession? He would simply use Xbone for video capture. Think mate, think...

Pretty much. I think it's something bigger like YouTube not allowing upload of any game footage from now on or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom