• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite: Battle Royale |OT| 100 Players on Epic Battlegrounds

*Splinter

Is it possible for me to pre-load the game on PC so I won't have to download everything when it goes free?
I haven't seen anyone answer this so I'm not sure if we actually know, but the best guess is to download Fortnite (free to download but you can't play it) and see what happens tomorrow.

Edit: it's free to download on PS4, don't know about other platforms

arimanius

So uh, is this actually fun/good? Seems promising but it seems like fans online want them to improve PvE instead

I enjoy it. If you enjoy BR games then you'll like this if you go into with a mind set that it's more arcady.

As a hot tip for anyone playing for the first time tomorrow. Remember you can blow the crap out of anything. So someone hiding in the building. Destroy the wall. Guy thinks he's sneaky behind the tree. Take the tree out.

I enjoy it. If you enjoy BR games then you'll like this if you go into with a mind set that it's more arcady.

As a hot tip for anyone playing for the first time tomorrow. Remember you can blow the crap out of anything. So someone hiding in the building. Destroy the wall. Guy thinks he's sneaky behind the tree. Take the tree out.

Oh man... The destruction element to this game is making me super excited.

I haven't seen anyone answer this so I'm not sure if we actually know, but the best guess is to download Fortnite (free to download but you can't play it) and see what happens tomorrow.

Edit: it's free to download on PS4, don't know about other platforms

Yes there is a free to download version but I think you can't start it without founder package so Battle Royale will be a single release I think.

Still download the free download version now cause you never know.

Oh man... The destruction element to this game is making me super excited.

Yeah, somehow.
It's curse and blessing at the same time.
It's somehow very cool but I would also like a few floors and walls in the endgame that are indestructible or at least very hard to destroy. Sometimes I would like to just hide insite a tower a big self build house.

If everything is destroyable in seconds, why should I even use this feature (the building feature) at all?

Yeah, somehow.
It's somehow very cool but I would also like a few floors and walls in the endgame that are indestructible or at least very hard to destroy. Sometimes I would like to just hide insite a tower a big self build house.

If everything is destroyable in seconds, why should I even use this feature (the building feature) at all?

The building feature is good when there are a limited number of players, and the circle is really small. I got top 3 once, and the person who killed me, who won in the end, killed me, then instantly (as in it took them under 10 seconds) to build a massive fort around themselves, including a sniper post, waist high walls for cover, and putting two steps of stairs in a V formation, so they could keep popping their head up and down.

It was ridiculous to spectate.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
It's 1080p on the pro but the framerate is rock solid and it has a few graphics options turned up somewhat.

It's solid 30fps on the pro. Don't know about the base model sorry.

I thought it was supposed to be native 4K? No longer I assume.

arimanius

So cool, I can destroy stuff that people are camping behind.

Is ammo count an issue?

They recently upped the ammo count. I don't have to much of an issue anymore as long as you are looting the ammo that you see.

edit*Also a tip that some people may not know. It can be frustrating to loot only ammo and without accidentally switching out your gun. So if all you want to do is loot ammo and resources equip your pickax. You can't drop it and that will allow you to spam the loot key without worrying about dropping a weapon.

GHG

Gold Member

This is what this game is about.

Anyone saying this is a PUBG ripoff either hasn't played it or doesn't know what they're talking about.

Yeah, somehow.

Don't build flimsy structures and expect them to protect you. You can also build things like brick walls etc. You just need to get the right materials and get creative.

Scuffed

I watched Lirik play this awhile ago and it looked like a lot of fun. Lirik didn't like the shooting but I expect they are patching stuff and it is really early in the games life.

Oscar

This looks fun, I'm all in. I don't think Bluehole is entitled to that genre. There were movies on the very same premise well before their game came out. They'll always be the OG's regarding this game genre, but I'm down to let other devs improve on it. PUBG has reached massive success so early in its development stage, that I'm worried all Bluehole is going to do at this point is just add maps/weapons/cosmetics. This traps/destructible environments aspect Epic added is a game changer and looks fun af.

As someone new to Fortnite I found this recent blog post interesting.

Here are some key points:

Squads
Our big news is the initial version of Squads coming 9/26 with support for DBNO (down but not out), duos (2 players) and squads (1-4 players). Emphasis is on ”initial" as we are optimizing for getting the feature out ASAP and will continue to iterate and polish afterwards. The squads playlist will be enabled on 9/26 and we will monitor population numbers to decide when to enable duos. In-game communication (text, voice, hints, etc) is crucial for auto-filled teams and is next on the list.

Cheating and teams in solo play:
We stood up a system that will automatically and swiftly ban teamers. We've been manually running the detection tool to verify results and Player Support has been using the results to ban teamers for almost a week. The full automation will go live with the 9/26 update.

Cheating (aimbots, overlays, and such) is something we take seriously on both the legal and development front. Going free increases the challenge and is lighting a fire under our efforts. It is hard to talk about what we're doing here without making it easier for cheat creators... so we won't :) Cheaters are banned!

Coming with the free launch:
1) Squads!

2) A mid-range scoped assault rifle and a mid-range SMG to round out the weapon line-up.

Fortnite%2Fblog%2Ffortnite-battle-royale-state-of-development%2FSAR-1920x800-5fd1c422c64eb655cc0100c2bdf222277dcd0413.jpg

Fortnite%2Fblog%2Ffortnite-battle-royale-state-of-development%2FTSMG-1920x800-bdd6525f18ede7a8c9a9d0c39378e20606f855f3.jpg

3) HUD tweaks to make it easier to see markers and direction indicators.

4) Lots of other tweaks that will be documented in detail in our release notes.

Upcoming things:
Fortnite%2Fblog%2Ffortnite-battle-royale-state-of-development%2Fsuppydrops-1920x800-3f3a4f25dc497ce0094a4b7500f52365946ed550.jpg

Supply drops will allow introduction of some of the more zany weapons from the ”Save the World" Campaign, and help us tune the timing of when specific weapons drop during a match. Our internal playtests showed supply drops adding more excitement to the mid-game over the fight to secure them. Depending on how balancing and testing goes they might be in 9/26 or the following week.
- -

Stats:

We love stats and analytics and will show you the basics over the next few weeks.

After providing stats we'll focus on Leaderboards / Scoreboards and Rankings. Leaderboards / Scoreboards reward successful placement and game actions, while Ranking is a direct reflection of your skill. We're evaluating algorithms for each of them and want to be careful we don't change the goal to be the last player standing.
- -

Cosmetics:
Cosmetic items are coming soon. New glider skins are a first example of this and there will be other categories as well. This requires the ability to select and choose variations in the UI, and of course a way for you to earn them by playing the game.

Improvements Mentioned (yet to come):

• Combat Feel
  • More Servers
  • Controller Layouts
  • Performance

Ferny

I think this is going to be huge. They seem to be supporting it strongly and coming to consoles first means those people that have been waiting dor something like it on consoles are going to flock to it.

Neat opening post.

The mode is legit fun.

The last patch where they increased accuracy helped a lot and I think they plan on doing more to help accuracy while moving. After they did that I think the game became a real competitor and not a RNG spray fest.

The ๖ۜBronx;249964383 said:
As someone new to Fortnite I found this recent blog post interesting.

Here are some key points:

Squads

Cheating and teams in solo play:

Coming with the free launch:

Upcoming things:

Improvements Mentioned (yet to come):

• Combat Feel
  • More Servers
  • Controller Layouts
  • Performance

Any idea why they don't even think or talk about a potential character system with maybe even switchable clothes? (Hello? Easiest profit generation?) It's odd that they think about so many things but we have to play with interchangeable, faceless random characters each round.

Any idea why they don't even think or talk about a potential character system with maybe even switchable clothes? (Hello? Easiest profit generation?) It's odd that they think about so many things but we have to play with interchangeable, faceless random characters each round.

No idea, they mentioned gliders as being the first port of call for cosmetics, but did mention other categories of them later. I agree that having customizable characters seems the obvious route, and is something I'd want with the art style they have.

Mikey Jr.

Fuck yeah.

Been watching a lot of footage, and this looks pretty awesome.

Don't have a good pc, and I have no interest in an Xbox tbh.

So if this satisfies my battle Royale itch, I'm all in.

Plus you don't need PS plus or even buy the game.

So I'm 8nviting a bunch of people to try it. Hope they do. Not much to lose.

Also, I really really hate how pubg looks. It has that Arma look to it, where animations look stiff, and just a bunch of shit. The cartoony style is more up my alley.

Okay I've been wondering is this a separate game to download or do you have to download fortnite?

They're 1 game, once you launch you choose which mode to play. The BR mode is free now and the Save the world mode (PVE) will be free at a later date (2018). It works out really well, at least for those who play both, because you can switch between modes very quickly.

edit:
oops meant free tomorrow

They're 1 game, once you launch you choose which mode to play. The BR mode is free now and the Save the world mode (PVE) will be free at a later date (2018). It works out really well, at least for those who play both, because you can switch between modes very quickly.

Okay, but can I (as a PC player) just get the free BR mode tomorrow? Or is a purchase of the main (PVE) game required?

Top Bottom