• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us' autosave has a glitch. Read if you're playing. [Apparently fixed]

Problem has been solved, you can play the game without worrying, there's no need for any kind of precaution and there's no need to download a patch. It was a problem with ND's servers that was fixed on their end.
Again: IT'S FIXED.

UPDATE 2: yup, staying offline fixes the problem. Do this while you wait for ND's patch.

UPDATE: apparently playing offline fixes the problem, still not 100% sure. Disable your internet connection and provide feedback please.

Several people have complained about this and it just happened to me, just lost 2 hours of progress.
Sometimes the autosave stops working. There's a way to tell if it's happening.
Press start, you will bring up the menu. If it says "less than X minutes ago" you're fine. If it's stuck on "autosaving, please wait" you're screwed and have to exit the game. It wont let you exit to the menu and if you try to exit with the PS button it will probably turn off your console but it's the only way.

SO HIT START REGULARLY and check if the autosave is updating and save manually, create several separate files just to be safe.

Don't just save before quitting, if the bug kicks in you wont be able to save anymore, save whenever you get the chance!

God I'm so pissed, I feel like breaking something. 2 fucking hours!

Edit: how to disable autosave when loading a game:

Nevermind, doesn't seem to work. Just save manually often and in the process check if autosaving is still working.

Edit 2: we've confirmed that the bug is not being caused by the patch that was released today.

Edit 3: we've confirmed that it happens both with physical and digital copies.

Edit 4:

Hanmik found this on Reddit:

Apparently, the game does save even with this bug. I found a site where the people were saying that the time stamps were all screwed up. If you go to "Load Game" instead of "Continue", you'll be able to find and select the correct save point.

Waiting for gaffers to confirm if it works.

Update: some people recovered some progress with this but it's not a fix. In some cases it didn't help at all.

D-e-f-

Banned
Or clear your weekend and never turn the game off. :)

I guess this is where the PS4's suspend feature would come in handy.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
I posted it in the main thread. I got hit with it too just now and i'm like 13hours in. Couldn't manual save anymore or quit to main menu. The pause menu had the autosaving message x5. had to reboot the game. Hope i didn't lose much since i still had a manual save. But probably lost 1hour or so.

Xanathus

Played it for a few hours and haven't encountered it. I noticed that there was a launch day patch version 1.01 or something like that, maybe that fixed it.

Several people have complained about this and it just happened to me, just lost 2 hours of progress.
Press start, you will bring up the menu. If it says "less than X minutes" ago you're fine. If it's stuck on "autosaving, please wait" you're screwed and have to exit the game. It wont let you exit to the menu and if you try to exit with the PS button it will probably turn off your console but it's the only way.

SO HIT START REGULARLY and check if the autosave is updating.

Thanks.
So if I see "autosaving, please wait", I need to hit the PS button and go to the dashboard ?
Wouldn't this risk corrupting my save data ?

Yup, happened to me last night. If your game is stuck at autosaving then stop playing because anything you do is not being saved, just hope that it started happening when you saw it.

DonMigs85

A similar bug actually happened to me once in Uncharted 2 way back in 2009 when the game autosaved and I got a PSN message opened at the same time

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
What I want to know is if the patch is the cause. Did anyone have this problem before downloading the patch?

They check gaf regularly but I'll tweet Arne.

Didn't have any problems yesterday before the patch, not sure if related.

Had to boot the game 3 times to get rid of the bug. Hope it doesn't come back until i'm done since i'm already 13hours in.

Press start, you will bring up the menu. If it says "less than X minutes" ago you're fine. If it's stuck on "autosaving, please wait" you're screwed and have to exit the game. It wont let you exit to the menu and if you try to exit with the PS button it will probably turn off your console but it's the only way.

SO HIT START REGULARLY and check if the autosave is updating.

Thank you, I'm playing right now. Going to manual save in regular intervals to avoid loss of progress.

Manp

i lost more than 3 hours of progress yesterday... no way i'm going through all of that again anytime soon.

thanks for testing your games developers...

Slair

I got the "autosaving is updating..." last night just before i stopped playing. I waited till it said "less than 1 minute ago". Booted the game up after reading this thread, got a patch so updated. The loading to continue my save was longer than usual, but worked fine, didn't loose any progress.

I got the "autosaving is updating..." last night just before i stopped playing. I waited till it said "less than 1 minute ago". Booted the game up after reading this thread, got a patch so updated. The loading to continue my save was longer than usual, but worked fine, didn't loose any progress.

I tried waiting but it wouldn't stop autosaving. Wish I'd been that lucky. How long did you wait?

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
I posted it in the main thread. I got hit with it too just now and i'm like 13hours in. Couldn't manual save anymore or quit to main menu. The pause menu had the autosaving message x5. had to reboot the game. Hope i didn't lose much since i still had a manual save. But probably lost 1hour or so.

Same. Started the game out and it greeted me. Had to quit and reset. :(

I had just played through these really amazing sections and was going to come here to share some thoughts and then this happens. I went from being ecstatic to wanting to smash my tv in a matter of seconds, I don't usually get this upset but finding time to play isn't easy these days so when stuff like this happens I fucking lose it.

Top Bottom