• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inafune: I would be open to Capcom publishing Mighty No. 9

Via November's Game Informer issue in an interview with him.

When asked what he would do if Capcom actually wanted to publish Mighty No. 9:
"I would hear their terms. If they had the best terms, I would go with Capcom. There is no reason not to publish with Capcom, and I certainly don’t feel like there’s a reason that I have to publish with Capcom. Literally it would be a very cut-and-dried business negotiation. If they had the best terms, the logical businessman in me would say, “Yes, let’s go with them.”

They then asked him if he would re-skin it as a Mega Man game as a result of that:
"If Capcom came up with really great terms to make it a Mega Man game, then of course I would listen and that would be an option. But the base of this game is that we wanted to create something original. If they gave us an offer we couldn’t refuse, that would mean having to change the main character into Mega Man. On top of that, it would still have to be our IP, which is what we want. I can’t foresee that happening. We really want this to be our thing."

Nah, fuck capcom at this point. They had billion different chances to make a good megaman. I would be pissed off if they tried to cash in on this game's hype,

What is the point of kickstarter then Inafune? :p

Edit: what if...Inafune is trolling everyone and people are actually "backing" Megaman 11! :(

and also
Twitter_PG_kamiya_He_s_a_business_man_Not_a.png

weevles

If Capcom published this, it would be quite ironic.

Particularly if they "reskinned" it into a MegaMan.

I don't think I would care unless they turned it into a smartphone/iOS only game, then I would fucking rage. I'm not against iOS/smartphone per se, I just don't want to play this kind of game on that platform.

Mik317

But...half the people backed it to say F U Capcom. They would feel so betrayed!

Thats a pretty silly reason to back something tho.

I mean I would support something because I wanted to actually play it not to send some message to a company that has nothing to do with it or one that isn't going to get said slight.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I can't say this is a comforting statement by Inafune - not because of Capcom specifically publishing the game, but because I hope Inafune isn't saying that he needs a publisher to finish it. I'm going to assume that's not what he was implying, so I'll remain hopeful!

then repositioned as a Spark Unlimited title.

the modernized remake to make him more appealing to today's audience

"Spark Unlimited creative director said Beck "looked like a fuckin' Saturday morning cartoon character" and was out of date with their vision for this highly-anticipated reboot"

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I can't say this is a comforting statement by Inafune - not because of Capcom specifically publishing the game, but because I hope Inafune isn't saying that he needs a publisher to finish it. I'm going to assume that's not what he was implying, so I'll remain hopeful!

I don't really think he's implying that.

He's giving a practical answer to a loaded question. Inafune has always been an efficient producer/businessman. He's essentially stating that he has no hard feeling against Capcom, and would work with them again... and he'd be willing to work with them specifically on Mighty No. 9 under terms that they would never agree to.

He's only trying to emphasize that there are no burned bridges between him and Capcom. He made it clear that this was not to be taken as some sort of revenge against Capcom early into the KS, so those that made it about that are on their own.

The KS was very successful, so I don't think Capcom has anything to offer here. It still needs to be said that business avenues are not dead completely.

epmode

It always annoys me when crowd funded games are picked up by a publisher after the campaign is over so I really hope this doesn't happen. I don't know about you guys but I back projects to help the developer, not just for the game at the end. Sneaky publisher deals are super-tacky.

If he can't make it with 4 million when his initial goal was 750k, he has very poor budget management.

The idea is to use all money on the game, not to hoard anything over 750k.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I don't really think he's implying that.

He's giving a practical answer to a loaded question. Inafune has always been an efficient producer/businessman. He's essentially stating that he has no hard feeling against Capcom, and would work with them again... and he'd be willing to work with them specifically on Mighty No. 9 under terms that they would never agree to.

True, I forgot this was an interview which means this was an answer to a question.

Regardless, if he found a publisher then I wouldn't have a problem with it as a backer. My main intent in backing this game is that it gets made. However, I would actually have a problem with the game turning into a Mega Man game just because that's not the game that I backed. I did not back this game to make a personal statement against Capcom. I have better uses for my money if that were the case.

goldenpp72

I backed this to play a Mega Man like game, while I know it will not become one, if it did, i'd be alright with that personally, but I can't imagine everyone would be as it would be quite a drastic change to the promised product.

Mzo

I'm good with it if it becomes a real Mega Man game and then he goes on to make Legends 3 ooh~

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I'm good with it if it becomes a real Mega Man game and then he goes on to make Legends 3 ooh~

That won't be necessary.

Darryl

Banned
this is conflicting. his kickstarter kind of rode on the "capcom hates megaman now, so lets do it ourself" wave for funding. so if this hypothetical situation happens, he's betraying fans but for their own good? i don't know. i'd be happy if the game became mega man though.

Top Bottom