• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlet malls near louisville KY

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoverX

hey,

going to Louisville for a wedding this weekend. Would like to hit an outlet mall while i'm there. The american outlet malls are so much better in the USA (than Canada). Anyone know of a good one?

Fayette mall seems like a good mall but i don't know if its a regular mall or an outlet. I'll be near there cause i'm doing a tour of the Woodford Reserve distillery on Friday.

EDIT: Also, what is there to do around there? I'm going to do a distillery tour and the Creation Museum (i'm not Christian, just curious)

I don't know much about outlet malls, but I'd stay away from the Fayette Mall. It's a typical American mall, and insanely busy--if you're in Louisville you'd be just as well going to the Mall St. Matthews: http://www.mallstmatthews.com/

Other attractions? You're going to be crazy close (hour and a half drive down the interstate) to the longest cave in the world, Mammoth Cave. I grew up in the area and my wife worked there for a number of years. It's a national park, with lots of cave tours going through different parts of the cave system. Might want to make reservations, though. http://www.nps.gov/maca/

You've probably already checked this out, but Kentucky runs a site with tourist information: http://www.kentuckytourism.com/

Enjoy your visit!

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
hoverX said:
hey,
EDIT: Also, what is there to do around there? I'm going to do a distillery tour and the Creation Museum (i'm not Christian, just curious)

You could go to Mammoth Cave. Longest cave system in the world IIRC. It's not in Louisville, but it's not too far away.

There's also the Louisville Slugger museum.

Old Louisville is really cool to drive around, especially in the morning when there aren't a ton of people around. Lots of really neat architecture. It almost feels like you're in some old-timey European city.

Enjoy your trip. Louisville is a really nice city.

hokahey said:
Pretty sad you had to add that disclaimer here. :lol

I would have done the same... GAF is pretty intolerant when it comes to religions/people that GAF feels are intolerant. I simply choose not to talk about stuff like that.

kingofrod

Lost Fragment said:
You could go to Mammoth Cave. Longest cave system in the world IIRC. It's not in Louisville, but it's not too far away.

There's also the Louisville Slugger museum.

Old Louisville is really cool to drive around, especially in the morning when there aren't a ton of people around. Lots of really neat architecture. It almost feels like you're in some old-timey European city.

Enjoy your trip. Louisville is a really nice city.

I 2nd all of these. Plus old Louisville and the Slugger Museum are very close to one another. Also, you can do almost everything at the museum for free (batting cages while using the Babe Ruth or Ted Williams bat is a must) and you might be able to pick up a not quite up to snuff maple bat for 17 bucks like I did! I'll take Jeter's scraps, it's all good.

Plus you'll have to check out some of the shops on Bardstown road. If you're into guitars, Guitar Emporium is pretty awesome. Ear X-tacy is by far the most famous record store in kentucky, but I personally prefer the way better CD Central in the Lexx!

came in here to suggest the Highlands aka bardstown rd, also 4th St. Live can be really fun or really lame, really just depends on the weekend

Not sure if it has reopened but the Churchill Downs museum is pretty nice

as far as Outlet Malls, the nearest ones are in Indiana, can't remember the actual name of them, I'm sure some of my fellow Ville Gaf can help me out

Schlookum

Neo Member
GodfatherX said:
came in here to suggest the Highlands aka bardstown rd, also 4th St. Live can be really fun or really lame, really just depends on the weekend

Not sure if it has reopened but the Churchill Downs museum is pretty nice

as far as Outlet Malls, the nearest ones are in Indiana, can't remember the actual name of them, I'm sure some of my fellow Ville Gaf can help me out

Bardstown Rd. is great, lots of cool vintage shops and such. Awesome resturants (Ramsi's of the World is THE shit). Don't go to the Fayette Mall in Lexington, all the surrounding county people come in and make it a redneck cluster fuck. Oxmoor Mall is Louisville is much better.

If you get the chance, go to Keenland and place a few bets. It's a beautiful track.

There's one halfway between Louisville and Indianapolis...only an hour away or so, but I can't for the life of me remember what it's called.

Bildocube

Fayette Mall is in Lexington (around an hour or so out of Louisville) - I echo the sentiments of others. Stay the fuck away from that place. It's absolute shit. Way overcrowded, parking is horrible, etc. Especially on weekends. Stay away. St Matthews Mall in Louisville is not bad.

Seth C

hoverX said:
hey,

going to Louisville for a wedding this weekend. Would like to hit an outlet mall while i'm there. The american outlet malls are so much better in the USA (than Canada). Anyone know of a good one?

Fayette mall seems like a good mall but i don't know if its a regular mall or an outlet. I'll be near there cause i'm doing a tour of the Woodford Reserve distillery on Friday.

What sort of stuff are you looking for? If clothes, Marshall's tends to have some good deals. If you're looking for something else in particular let me know and I'll point you in the right direction. I do live in Lexington, after all.

The Woodford tour is probably my favorite of those I've taken. Don't forget to stuff yourself with the bourbon balls before and after the tour, as they cost like $3 for a box of two of them if you buy them, but you can eat all you want for free. Also, if they have any mash in the cyprus when you are there do stick your fingers in and taste it. They may not bring it up, but if you ask they will tell you it's no problem. The barrel strength they will pour off in a glass will be too strong for most people, so drink all of it you want. I think it tastes better than the finished product.

If you're looking for food in Frankfort, make it Thai Smile. Tell them Seth sent you. If it's a Friday I'll probably be there. Say hi and I'll get you a free dessert (Thai pumpkin balls).

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
Skiptastic said:
There's one halfway between Louisville and Indianapolis...only an hour away or so, but I can't for the life of me remember what it's called.

It's in Edinburgh, IN. Unfortunately, it's a bit of a drive to get there, about 80 miles, but it's easily the nicest outlet grouping in the state. About 90 stores. Well worth the effort, if that's what you're looking for and easy to get to to boot. Right on the interstate....

iamblades

Dunno that much about outlet malls, but Oxmoor and St. Matthews are basically right next door to each other and are both fairly nice malls.

As mentioned the highlands(bardstown road/baxter ave) is the place to go if you want nightlife or local shops and restaurants.

Not the best timing with the visit to louisville, as it's after the weather starts to get crappy but before basketball season starts (but I doubt you'd be able to get tickets for either kentucky or louisville games on the spur of the moment anyway).

There are a whole bunch of really good museums (the historical arms museum is unique, the science museum is great if you have kids, and the art museum is world class, especially for a city of this size) and the orchestra, ballet, and center for the performing arts are all really good if you catch them doing something interesting.

Try to avoid I-65 south of I-264 if at all possible, they are repaving it and it's a total clusterfuck

iamblades said:
Try to avoid I-65 south of I-264 if at all possible, they are repaving it and it's a total clusterfuck

I deal with that clusterfuck 9 times a week (to and from work/school)

food: I highly suggest Flanigans, Molly Malones, Spinellis ( if its like 4am and your drunk off your ass), all of which are in the Irish part of the Highlands (bardstown rd area)

I really want to go to the creationist museum, I'm agnostic but think it would be an interesting/fun/funny trip...update me on how that goes

also I didn't realize Louisville GAF had these numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom