• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Guerilla Games: work on new IP started 2.5 years ago, 'be a bit more patient'

S¡mon

Banned
When Sony launched the PlayStation 4 in Japan, they released a video highlighting the Guerilla Games studio in Amsterdam. In the video, they mention that the size of Guerilla Games is 'a little under 200 people'.

Regarding a new IP, they say the following:

Angie Smits said:
Well, we are working on a new IP... we started on that already, 2.5 years ago[b/]. But, unfortunately, we cannot share details yet of the new IP. So, you'll have to be a bit more patient.

Does this mean we can see a new game from Guerilla Games as early as this year? In comparison, development on Killzone: Shadow Fall was rumoured to have started mid-2011 (after the release of Killzone 3). This could indicate that Killzone: Shadow Fall was developed in roughly 2.5 years.

Could we be surprised and could we see a new, unannounced, IP from Guerilla Games launch this year (roughly 3 years of development)? Or perhaps early 2015 (roughly 3.5 years of development)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig82EECniFw

S¡mon;102211640 said:
Does this mean we can see a new game from Guerilla Games as early as this year?
Doubt it. It wouldn't really make sense for Sony to push it out so quickly. They could do a reveal this year then hype it for the next year and then release sometime in 2015-2016. It makes sense based off their current model with their big exclusives so far, infamous, the order, uncharted etc.
Also aren't rumors suggesting this could be a large scale RPG? A bit more work to develop then a FPS.

The way things are shaping up, I expect a huge E3 for Sony.

The Order will take front and center.
2 new IPs announced: Guerrila & SSM.
If gamescom happens without Bend or Media Molecule showing up, that number will go to 3 new IPs at E3.
Uncharted 4 first real trailer & The Last of Us PS4 edition will be there too.

Elios83

Seems like an announcement is being planned for E3 if everything goes well.
Just give me an action RPG with a modern cyberpunk setting like the Samaritan demo or the Deus Ex series =)
Also I'm pretty happy with the news because I'm not a big fan of fps and they deserve not to be just the Killzone team.

As someone who day 1'd a ps4, these constant mentions of "hey we make video games and we're making a video game but wait please" is starting to become a little tiring

kazebyaka

Banned
Don't be too excited. Uncharted 4 is 3 years into development, but 2 of them was pre-production, which means the actual development will be only 2 years in the end.

Yeah. It's about time we got some solid game annoucements. Sony seems like its starting to coast. Im starting to find all this "please understand" talk annoying.

BTW where the fuck is driveclub?
Why would you expect Sony to reveal big games in mid-February? When have they ever done this? Games get announced at a handful of events throughout the year, very rarely on a Tuesday morning with no event going on.

Skenzin

Banned
Good. Killzone feels very played out for a game that never quite reached mass appeal. Its like Sony wanted Halo level success and refused to admit it was never going to reach that level. MS needs to invest in new IPs too. Halo is beyond played out at this point.

Sorral

S¡mon;102211640 said:
Does this mean we can see a new game from Guerilla Games as early as this year? In comparison, development on Killzone: Shadow Fall was rumoured to have started mid-2011 (after the release of Killzone 3). This could indicate that Killzone: Shadow Fall was developed in roughly 2.5 years.

Could we be surprised and could we see a new, unannounced, IP from Guerilla Games launch this year (roughly 3 years of development)? Or perhaps early 2015 (roughly 3.5 years of development)?

KZ:SF was based on the same engine as KZ3 afaik. It is why it didn't take too long to make (and well, it is also their 4th main-line game into the series unlike this new IP).

To be honest, I rather not have them announce anything until they can release it in the same year.

Better than announcing it three years ago then saying nothing until release.

Or eight years (FFXV) or ten (DNF).

It bothers me more when they do it with games that they won't confirm or deny one way or the other. Like Kitase's recent bob-and-weave routine with a FFVII remake, for instance.

ElDuderino

1388135904156.jpg

GDC, E3, Gamescom & TGS exist for a reason.

First-party platform holders rarely announce games outside established conventions. Especially true for when it's a new IP/or a big enough game that it automatically creates a media storm by the simple fact of its announcement.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I agree.

Considering all that hype if it turns out to be another FPS the backlash will be huge.
Maybe we'll get lucky and it'll be a cover-based shooter?

Most of their experience is with shooters so it'll probably be some sort of shooter. I just hope there's some kind of interesting differentiator, the kind of thing that made a game like Metroid Prime feel so unique next to standard FPS games.

KZ Shadow Fall sp seems to be really bad. Seems worse than KZ2 and KZ3. And the multiplayer is shallow

these guys should be shut down if they don't deliver on the new ip IMO

I'm really curious to see what they do. I've always felt Killzone never lived up to its potential: great art style, lore, graphics, and multiplayer. But shit writing and really boring campaigns. If they do end up making an RPG they are really going to have to work on their weaknesses, because writing and a good single play pretty much make an RPG.

they're saying "be patient" and you interpret i it as "maybe it means we'll get it this year/sooner than we think".

I think it means 2015 or more, not before.

Let's be real here: of course it's going to be a first person game.

That wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. Assuming it were an RPG as rumoured, there's room on the market for another game to enter the same market space as The Elder Scrolls. Hell, I'd be excited for more games to try - Kingdom Come is about the only other, and that's a tiny production compared to Skyrim et al.

Rather not talk ('tease') about it in the first place.

All she said was they've got a new IP in the works (which they said a long time ago) and that it's been in development for 2.5 years. It's not teasing. She's just mentioned their next project while giving the bare minimum of information.

KZ Shadow Fall sp seems to be really bad. Seems worse than KZ2 and KZ3. And the multiplayer is shallow

these guys should be shut down if they don't deliver on the new ip IMO

You don't understand how business works, do you?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Right now I think GG is just a "meh" studio. Maybe this game will put them in the "Great" category.
Ah that's unfortunate. Although a lot of PS4 owners went home with a copy of KZ:SF so they have a lot of new fans at this point and the Guerrilla Games name carries more weight now. When they announce a new IP it'll certainly be a big deal.

You don't understand how business works, do you?

business of making mediocre games? If they weren't under Sony, they would be dead by now. They need to take it seriously and step up their game.

The money that's employing 200 people and maintaing a studio, could be better spent on more talented devs

Ah that's unfortunate. Although a lot of PS4 owners went home with a copy of KZ:SF so they have a lot of new fans at this point and the Guerrilla Games name carries more weight now. When they announce a new IP it'll certainly be a big deal.
They've definitely earned my favor with SF's multiplayer. So good. And the campaign had some really fantastic elements but must've been rushed or something.

injurai

Banned
Isn't this game NOT and FPS?

I guess it could be some sort of hybrid, but It was my understanding that Guerilla was doing a non-FPS game and SSM was doing a sci-fi FPS.

Top Bottom