• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Surge |OT| Live Die Repeat

deoee

tumblr_inline_o4b05864oY1sxr820_500.gif

diKF8kxuomAxy.gif

There were a lot of good/ok impressions with LOTF when it came out mostly just hype and that game was horrible so I'll just wait a week or more before everything settles in to see if I'll buy it. I recently got a PS4 so I'm making my way through finishing Bloodborne atm so theres no rush.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm stuck in the third area:

I just talked to the woman under the greenhouse, and she gave me a chip she wants delivered to the executive suites. I have no idea where to go now?

Sanctuary

Art style and design they are hard to beat but their games often have a lot of tech related jank and issues.

I agreed until the Grindhouse version of a game that was Bloodborne + Dark Souls 3 that were just a bit too samey in too many ways. Hopefully with whatever their next offering is, they can create something slightly more original looking again.

Their tech is unquestionably mid tier, not only do they have performance issues in their game but they also don't use advanced tech. LoTF had framerate issues but it was doing FAR FAR more impressive things technically from its GPU particles to volumetric lighting (the way they did light penetration through glass in LoTF was extremely fascinating and you still don't see it in other games). Just some of the examples.

FROM are far from technical masters, but calling them mid tier compared to Deck13 seems a bit much. Especially when you consider just how much smaller the world design was in LoTF. It's like the non stop praise Naughty Dog gets for graphics (which are arguably some of the best on consoles), while simultaneously ignoring the relatively claustrophobic level designs that allow them to do that in the first place. Remember the Dark Souls 2 pre demo footage? Can't really say that wasn't impressive.

The combat is more like Bloodborne and better than Nioh in my opinion.

Its nowhere near as good as Nioh.....

I understand where you are coming from, I watched your nioh videos after you initially posted a video for the surge so i could get some context on your skill level.... and you were just playing it PokePokePoke, which is like just using guns in devil may cry.
But even if you only just saw someone else play nioh properly, i cant understand how you could come to this conclusion.

Listonosh

Most implants I've seen in footage have been buffs, healing, etc. Are there more "tech magic" ones, or is stuff like that reserved for drone abilities?

Also how different do weapons within the same category feel?

There are a whole slew of implants, I'm not near my PS4 right now so I can't boot it up to check, but some that I remember are elemental ones, where upon activation you get an elemental boost to your weapon. There's also a slowdown time one where I think it makes the enemies move slower so you can do more damage. As far as drones go... I'm not a 100% sure if there are implants for them, but it wouldn't surprise me.

The weapons within the category do have some similarities, definitely. The combos you pull off within them are sometimes identical. However, there are outliers. For instance, I got a staff from
killing a boss
, and that particular staff has a slightly different moveset when it comes to combos, which I really liked. At the moment though I've found two weapons that I'm loving and using almost exclusively, and they're both in different categories, so when I switch between them, the combat always feels different.

Also, quick tip for those that maybe haven't played LotF, try to not go into your menus when you're out and about killing things, because it resets your "souls" multiplier.

The weapons within the category do have some similarities, definitely. The combos you pull off within them are sometimes identical. However, there are outliers. For instance, I got a staff from
killing a boss
, and that particular staff has a slightly different moveset when it comes to combos, which I really liked. At the moment though I've found two weapons that I'm loving and using almost exclusively, and they're both in different categories, so when I switch between them, the combat always feels different.

Do you mean the staff with blue at the end? Cause your near the end if so, not halfway xD

This game has really weird requirements for boss weapons, or maybe they are hinted at somehow before the fights,but it just seems like a guessing game.

Maffis

One thing I liked about LotF was the checkpoints being close to the boss and that you could bank your "souls" so you didn't lose everything if you died. Is this still in?

Moff

One thing I liked about LotF was the checkpoints being close to the boss and that you could bank your "souls" so you didn't lose everything if you died. Is this still in?

no you need to go pick them up like in souls, there is even a time limit now

nOoblet16

I agreed until the Grindhouse version of a game that was Bloodborne + Dark Souls 3 that were just a bit too samey in too many ways. Hopefully with whatever their next offering is, they can create something slightly more original looking again.

FROM are far from technical masters, but calling them mid tier compared to Deck13 seems a bit much. Especially when you consider just how much smaller the world design was in LoTF. It's like the non stop praise Naughty Dog gets for graphics (which are arguably some of the best on consoles), while simultaneously ignoring the relatively claustrophobic level designs that allow them to do that in the first place. Remember the Dark Souls 2 pre demo footage? Can't really say that wasn't impressive.
If From isn't mid tier then what is?

You are again ignoring the fact that Deck 13 deploys some of the most advanced tech seen in games...including games with small areas. Just because it has small areas does not mean it's the entire reason why they can do all that, if it was then you'd see every game that has small area do this.

And speaking of Naughty Dog, yes they made games with claustrophobic level design but if that was why they were really able to achieve that then you wouldn't have Uncharted 4 looking as good as it does considering how wide and open it is in comparison. It's about developer skills more than just being something as simple as small area = good visuals, big area = worse visuals. Especially in a post Horizon world.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
If you die you have a certain amount of time to get back to that same spot from the med bay that you last visited.

Also, I learned from the loading tips that every time you kill an enemy on your way to collect your souls, it adds more time to the clock.

That really depends on how you define good/better and what factors you place importance on. Like I personally feel Bloodborne blows Nioh out of the water; Nioh is certainly more complex and in-depth, but it's nowhere near as satisfying or feels as good as the aforementioned title.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Does this run at 60fps on a Pro? Was gonna get it on PC but if it runs as well on PS4 I'll get it there...

Its like Nioh, a 60 fps 1080p mode and a 30 fps 4K mode on the Pro. Dark10x also said its quite possibly the best Pro implementation yet though their article on that isn't out yet.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Its like Nioh, a 60 fps 1080p mode and a 30 fps 4K mode on the Pro. Dark10x also said its quite possibly the best Pro implementation yet though their article on that isn't out yet.

And just like Nioh, it makes your fans blow like crazy at times. Other than that it's great.

Drewfonse

I understand where you are coming from, I watched your nioh videos after you initially posted a video for the surge so i could get some context on your skill level.... and you were just playing it PokePokePoke, which is like just using guns in devil may cry.
But even if you only just saw someone else play nioh properly, i cant understand how you could come to this conclusion.

I didn't find Nioh's combat to be amazing, but truth be told, I may not have been playing it "properly" either.

Sanctuary

It's about developer skills more than just being something as simple as small area = good visuals, big area = worse visuals. Especially in a post Horizon world.

It's not just about developer skill. It's about having the hardware to take advantage of it, plus having a massive budget as well as other resources to call upon for technical issues. Hell, even if a team can do one or two things that haven't been seen elsewhere, does it even really matter if their resources were squandered in other areas? If FROM really gave more of a shit about the technical aspects, they probably could spend more time on them, while also cutting back options.

It's not just about developer skill. It's about having the hardware to take advantage of it, plus having a massive budget as well as other resources to call upon for technical issues. Hell, even if a team can do one or two things that haven't been seen elsewhere, does it even really matter if their resources were squandered in other areas?
Depends on what's being done well, what areas are squadered. and the level of squandering

Listonosh

Do you mean the staff with blue at the end? Cause your near the end if so, not halfway xD

This game has really weird requirements for boss weapons, or maybe they are hinted at somehow before the fights,but it just seems like a guessing game.

The staff I'm talking about has a
fire element
on one side. I only beat three bosses, I'm near the end?

Sanctuary

Depends on what's being done well, what areas are squadered. and the level of squandering

Well duh, but since this started with praising LoTF (which I didn't think was utter garbage like many), it did some nice things, but it was massively janky in many areas too. There was barely any customization to speak of, magic was mostly garbage tier and the game shipped buggy, not just with crashing on the PC, but also an exploit that allowed you to essentially run through the game, destroying even the toughest enemies with just a shield.

But damn, the lighting was impressive!

Anyway, I'm done with my part with the derailing, since this isn't about what they've done in the past as much as how they might have learned from it and improved with this game.

Roussow

Yeah, fuck it, I'm sold. I could play Prey a third (fourth?) time, but this looks pretty great. I feel like I'll get more out of it the less I see of it, too. It's a different game, but I feel like when I played Dark Souls 3, I had seen way to much footage of that game pre-release.

Well duh, but since this started with praising LoTF (which I didn't think was utter garbage like many), it did some nice things, but it was massively janky in many areas too. There was barely any customization to speak of, magic was mostly garbage tier and the game shipped buggy, not just with crashing on the PC, but also an exploit that allowed you to essentially run through the game, destroying even the toughest enemies with just a shield.
Ah, yeah, never played LoTF, but that sounds like some massive technical issues. Technical issues are pretty variable for me (ie Fallout and Skyrim don't bother me), but stuff that fucks up the entire game and gameplay balance like that cant be ignored

Going by the impressions I've seen, it seems they tried to be much more technically competent here.

Well, you didn't even really need the shield glitch to destroy the game, since LotF was ridiculously easy. I didn't die to any of the bosses and I'm not the greatest Souls player. The loot system was also pretty dumb since it was always the same weapon types, only with +5 damage or whatever.

I'm hoping The Surge is actually different in that regard.

DukeBobby

Keeping an eye on this, but I'll probably wait until it's a bit cheaper. I've still got the Dark Souls 3 DLC to play first.

Expecting high 70s on Metacritc/Opencritic.

Karamsoul

Keeping an eye on this, but I'll probably wait until it's a bit cheaper. I've still got the Dark Souls 3 DLC to play first.

Expecting high 70s on Metacritc/Opencritic.

Yup. I'm betting on 78 on Metacritic. Will be pleasantly surprised if it sticks to over 80. Still, I've been sold on the game and my pre-order's locked in.

getting the feeling there will be a lot of people who bought PC outside of Steam won't be playing this when it's unlocked in less than 2 hours

example...GamersGate still lists the game as not coming out until tomorrow at 1 PM Eastern and that when it says their keys will be available

Tecnniqe

Banned
getting the feeling there will be a lot of people who bought PC outside of Steam won't be playing this when it's unlocked in less than 2 hours

example...GamersGate still lists the game as not coming out until tomorrow at 1 PM Eastern and that when it says their keys will be available

CDKeys send their out many hours ago

Drewfonse

I can just feel like maybe 2-3 regular posters in The Surge threads are waiting to pounce if this doesn't review well.

Now, it won't fucking happen, because it WILL review well, but the imminent pounce is real.

Top Bottom