• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Yale college dean placed on leave for using phrase "white trash" in Yelp review

http://yaledailynews.com/blog/2017/...-on-leave-as-additional-yelp-reviews-surface/

Pierson College Dean June Chu — whose insensitive Yelp posts drew criticism earlier this week — has been placed on leave and will not participate in Commencement activities, according to a Thursday morning email from Pierson Head Stephen Davis.

Last Saturday, Chu wrote to the Pierson community apologizing for using insensitive language in Yelp reviews of local businesses — referring to customers as “white trash” and “low class folks” in one, and praising a New Haven movie theater for its lack of “sketchy crowds” in another. Also on Saturday, the News published nearly a dozen screenshots of additional derogatory reviews from Chu’s account.

Davis, who defended Chu on Saturday, explained this morning that Chu had assured him and other Yale administrators that she had only posted two “troubling” reviews. After discovering “multiple reprehensible” posts, he said he could no longer envision a path forward with Chu as dean, having lost trust in her ability to oversee the residential college and lead students.

yale20n-1-web.jpg

yale20n-2-web.jpg

Jesus. Please respect your students and other human beings!

frontovik

Banned
It never ceases to amuse me that individuals in positions of authority, especially academia as prestigious as Yale wants to broadcast their ill-founded views to the world.

Yeah I read about this earlier this week. Apparently the only reason why she was caught was she sent an email to her students saying she had reached Yelp Elite status (which is a thing), and her students started reading through the reviews.

ZeroX03

Banned
Yeah I read about this earlier this week. Apparently the only reason why she was caught was she sent an email to her students saying she had reached Yelp Elite status (which is a thing), and her students started reading through the reviews.

Imagine being so elitist you need to have Yelp broadcast it for you

Mimosa97

When you think you're some kind of food connoisseur but in reality you're just a piece of shit racist and classist.

Also I'll never stop being amazed by this level of stupidity. Why put your real name and photo ? If you're hellbent on posting shitty reviews on yelp why not do it anonymously ?

Imagine being so elitist you need to have Yelp broadcast it for you
Elite is actually scrub tier—just above regular users. From there, you can get Gold (stay Elite for 5 years), and then Black (stay Gold for some number of years), and then they will probably add some more levels later, when too many users get to Black.

Wow, she is just unironically slandering people as trash over CHINESE FOOD, while she acts like a 12 year old YouTube commenter...

That's scary how arrogant people can be. Didn't like the food or the service, fine. But I agree with the university's decision here, that is flat out unacceptable.

Madness

Folks be feeling themselves in Yelp reviews, is it that serious?

No but I mean just being a person of colour doesn't mean you get to demean those en masse or those you consider are in positions of power and so free to insult. People like to shift the goal posts of what racism or prejudice entails, but broadly referring to clientele of a restaurant as something only white trash would visit, isn't something a Dean at an ivy league school should write or a shitty flavor of something only dumb white people would like.

I mean there was literally no reason for her to write that.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
There's a trend among Yelp reviewers to out-authenticity everyone else and this is just a case of it going too far relative to her profession. I expect this kind of language from a 20-something "foodie", not a college dean.

Slayven

No but I mean just being a person of colour doesn't mean you get to demean those en masse or those you consider are in positions of power and so free to insult. People like to shift the goal posts of what racism or prejudice entails, but broadly referring to clientele of a restaurant as something only white trash would visit, isn't something a Dean at an ivy league school should write or a shitty flavor of something only dumb white people would like.

I mean there was literally no reason for her to write that.

No one said it did

antibolo

Banned
Claims that being "Asian" makes her an expert on mochi (a strictly Japanese thing)... and then complains about Japanese restaurant employees being Chinese.

How the fuck

This meta posting/disengenuous stuff has to really stop, especially if you think I am one of 'them'.

My reply was more to the point of 'is it really that serious'. This kind of shit does none of us any favours.

He was referring to her not the people getting upset.

This meta posting/disengenuous stuff has to really stop, especially if you think I am one of 'them'.

My reply was more to the point of 'is it really that serious'. This kind of shit does none of us any favours.

"Is it serious" was referring to this woman taking her "duties" as a helper too seriously to the point she was openly racist, not whether the racism itself was serious

Go be indignant over your own misunderstanding somewhere else

Top Bottom