• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mercury Meltdown for Wii

From latest Ignition release schedule:

Metal Slug Antology PSP November
Metal Slug Antology Wii November
Mercury Meltdown PS2 November
Mercury Meltdown Wii November
Mercury Meltdown Remix PS2 Q4 2006
Mercury Type R Wii Q4 2006
KOFMI 2.5 XBOX 360 Q4 2006

(Europe release dates)

Obviously Meltdown and Type R for Wii are the same game... an enhanced tilt-sensitive version.

loosus

Banned
grindamasta said:
From latest Ignition release schedule:

Metal Slug Antology PSP November
Metal Slug Antology Wii November
Mercury Meltdown PS2 November
Mercury Meltdown Wii November
Mercury Meltdown Remix PS2 Q4 2006
Mercury Type R Wii Q4 2006
KOFMI 2.5 XBOX 360 Q4 2006

(Europe release dates)

Obviously Meltdown and Type R for Wii are the same game... an enhanced tilt-sensitive version.
My brain must be on a freeze. If they are the same game, then why are they listed separately?

loosus

Banned
Also, if they are indeed separate games that are essentially identical, then why on Earth are they being released almost in the exact same time period?

Jim

reminder said:
2x PS2 Mercury
2x Wii Mercury

And where is Mercury Meltdown for PSP? Strange list...

It's out in September, and this list seems to start be beyond that.

PSP is losing exclusives left and right it seems. First GTA Liberty City Stories, then Lumines, and now Mercury. It's like the Gamecube all over again.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
reminder said:
And where is Mercury Meltdown for PSP? Strange list...
It looks like a list for 4th Quarter 2006, the PSP version of Meltdown is due out in the 3rd quarter. Still, definitely a strange list to have two versions of the same game out in the same quarter on the same platform.

Viewtiful Darkness said:
PSP is losing exclusives left and right it seems. First GTA Liberty City Stories, then Lumines, and now Mercury. It's like the Gamecube all over again.
:lol Or PS2, or Xbox. Keep trying to trot this tired nugget out.

loosus said:
My brain must be on a freeze. If they are the same game, then why are they listed separately?

Maybe it's a mistake... the same game with 2 different names, like the PS2 version: Mercury Meltdown PS2 November / Mercury Meltdown Remix PS2 Q4 2006

Jiguryo said:
Please, what's the source for this list?

Some distributor.. It's a list for retailers.

Mau ®

Ranger X said:
Now i need a PS2 Locoroco and my worries of not owning a PSP are gone for good! Yessss

Keep hoping. Loco Roco is not 3rd party, its 1st party. Sony knows Loco Roco is PSP's biggest hope right now.

GTA has never been a real exclusive to begin with. Lumines is becoming more like polymorphic content but PSP will be the only place you can play Lumines 2... for now.

Mercury didn't do all that hot to begin with and the sequel has a god awful art direction that makes your eyes bleed.

Gamecube lost what exclusives? Viewtiful Joe, yeah the biggest system seller of all time, rite? RE4 is the only thing that could've hurt and even so it sold more on GC.

All systems lost exclusives last gen and it'll be the same next gen. Don't act like 3rd party exclusives are to stay that way forever.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
kaching said:
It looks like a list for 4th Quarter 2006, the PSP version of Meltdown is due out in the 3rd quarter. Still, definitely a strange list to have two versions of the same game out in the same quarter on the same platform.

:lol Or PS2, or Xbox. Keep trying to trot this tired nugget out.
Pokemon says hi.

Jiguryo said:
How accurate. :lol

Seriously now: where did you get that from?

It was on my mail this morning, that's all, with another bunch of release schedules like everyday... I work for a retailer.

Neo Child

Banned
grindamasta said:
It was on my mail this morning, that's all, with another bunch of release schedules like everyday... I work for a retailer.

I can confirm that this guy is telling the truth.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
sounds like one multi-console version plus one wii-exclusive version to me. but i have no idea what this game is, just my interpretation of the list

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
I'd sure be glad if this turns out to be true. I'm not calling anyone a liar here, but as I work for a games-oriented site, I'd rather have something more solid.

And I really think a game like Mercury could benefit from the Wiimote, so there!

jesusraz

The reaction from Ignition when I asked gave the impression that it's indeed true, just not confirmed for the public yet.

heh i love how when it was a PSP exclusive, no one gave a rats ass about Mercury...yet now that its gettin ported, its touted as "one less reason to buy PSP"

bandwagoners are funny :lol

Mercury was fun, but a bit unpolished feature-wise. Meltdown's cel-shading makes the game look a bit weird, although it makes it easier to see the blob.

Could be very interesting on Wii - like an isometric Monkey Ball.

frAntic_Frog said:
mercury graphics on PSP were decent.... the hell you talkin about? its not like DS tryin to run 3d graphics....

WTF is wrong with you. Meltdown isn't out for the PSP, and screenshots do show fuguly graphics. And then you make a retort and drag this fanboy anti-DS silliness into it?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
New previews from Gamespot and Eurogamer of the PSP version indicate that there are skin options that let you restore the look of the blob to the normal look, removing the cel-shading border. That probably doesn't apply to the technicolor levels themselves though.

Courtesy of Agent X in this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97548

melvoin

Banned
frAntic_Frog said:
Metal Gear PSP, Tekken, GTAVCS, and GTMobile sez hi:D

All of those are just scaled down spinoffs of PS2 games. And GTAVCS will almost certainly hit PS2/3 after a few months. PSP has a scant few unique games like Metal Gear Acid and Lumines, but if I want to play console games, I'll get a console.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
jesusraz said:
The reaction from Ignition when I asked gave the impression that it's indeed true, just not confirmed for the public yet.

Same here.

"Where did you get that information from?"

Heh.

melvoin said:
All of those are just scaled down spinoffs of PS2 games. And GTAVCS will almost certainly hit PS2/3 after a few months. PSP has a scant few unique games like Metal Gear Acid and Lumines, but if I want to play console games, I'll get a console.

If you don't think those games will sell well, then... we disagree.

The question was about system-sellers, not about uniqueness. PSP has quite a few unique games, actually, but they don't show up on the radar of people arguing that PSP has no unique games. Funny that.

jesusraz

Jiguryo said:
Same here.

"Where did you get that information from?"

Heh.

That sort of reaction does really does give it away...They should stick to the usual 'We do not comment on rumours' :lol

melvoin said:
well for me it be nice to have portable games with console-quality graphics and depth to play while im on the go.....to have portable games that arent severely outdated in graphics or has decade-old gameplay ;)

beermonkey@tehbias said:
WTF is wrong with you. Meltdown isn't out for the PSP, and screenshots do show fuguly graphics. And then you make a retort and drag this fanboy anti-DS silliness into it?
save for the cell-shaded silliness of Mercury 2, i dont see how its exactly "FUGLY" given that it IS a handheld game......with those graphics. nothin special, but not FUGLY either, good chum

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
..pakbeka.. said:
unless they get nintendo to publish this, it will suffer the same fate it did on the psp
You mean sell well enough to warrant a sequel that appears to be an improvement in just about every way? :p

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
..pakbeka.. said:
I thought it underperformed.... oh well ingore what I said then
It didn't sell through the roof or anything, but it seems to have done well enough to justify a sequel and expansion onto other platforms. A Wii version will certainly be interesting if for no other reason than to see if anyone that chastised the first game will actually put their money where their mouth is and buy the sequel now that it has a version with a tilt sensor. Or maybe they'll just blame the color scheme this time around ;)

Top Bottom