• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Why is it so rare for me to be the Marked Man in Team Objective? Is it against the game's policy for the top scoring player in the match to NEVER be marked? I know for sure that the person who is in 3rd place will always be marked first, but it's a little unfair that the next targets are always the people who are last place in points or the same guy...

I tried the maps on custom games and they're gorgeous. I don't intend to turn on the DLC option because I'm not making the same mistake like I did with the flashback packs where you only get matched with the cheapest players of the community + stacked parties. I'll give it two weeks before I even consider turning it on. The default player pool is more enioyable because of variety.

I have played each new map about 3-4 times last night and they are absolutely beautiful, as well as interestingly designed with tons of ways to flank, ambush and surprise enemies, just the way i like it. Right now i have a hard time deciding which one is my favorite, i love them all. One thing that might be a problem in the long run is how easy it is to camp the warehouse in London Streets during treasure hunter in team objective. Once we got the idol in there, the other team could hardly touch us. It might have made it more interesting if you could also climb through the 2 windows from the outside, but i'll have to play more games to see how it goes.

Pranay

Uncharted 3 is a work of art that is composed of beautiful set pieces like the picturesque dunes, capsized cruise ship, burning chateau. These began as paintings and sketches by art director Robh Ruppel and his team. At GDC 2012 Ruppel showed off some Uncharted 3 art, and some of the coolest slides revealed lost levels and ideas that never came to fruition. Sony and Naughty Dog were kind enough to provide us with never-before-seen mockups of unused levels and early versions of some of Uncharted 3's most memorable experiences.

For all the pics with description

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1222748p1.html

Posting some pics -

uncharted-3-drakes-deception-20120411105954550_640w.jpg

uncharted-3-drakes-deception-20120411105948993_640w.jpg

uncharted-3-drakes-deception-20120411110001519_640w.jpg

uncharted-3-drakes-deception-20120411110005469_640w.jpg

i tried graveyard yesterday .....

Waouh this map is beautifull the words aren't enough

I was in london street and a tank appeared ? what happenned i don't get it ... is it (yet another ) timed event ?

Skidd

The new maps are great. Lots of cover and flanking routes. And less open spaces is a plus, considering all the G-MALers who are my biggest gripe with the game now.

I swear there are some hit detection/ lag issues with that gun. What I really would appreciate would be a rate of fire nerf on that thing. I think just a 10%-15% longer delay between bursts would do wonders.

The new AK is decent, but still feels inferior to the other two. The accuracy mod makes it great though. However, I would not mind a very slight damage buff to compete with the G-MAL's range and considering the lower rate of fire.

SxP

I was in london street and a tank appeared ? what happenned i don't get it ... is it (yet another ) timed event ?

Yeah I guess. I was just standing somewhere on the map, I look behind me and a garage opens up and I get ran over by an armored vehicle. Was an unpleasant surprise.

So many garage doors on the map. And it had to be the one I was standing in front of.

Mr. Fix

Is there anything stopping you from playing with some friends or are you just set on playing by yourself?

I usually play in a pair. If I have to have a full team to stand any sort of chance, then it's pretty bad.

What's worse, is that if there's a lvl 30 or so beginner, and a level 40 or so Legacy 1+ player, we get stuck with the 30, because I'm level 75 and only on my 2nd Legacy. I don't think they take the amount of Legacies into consideration when "balancing" teams.

SxP

What's worse, is that if there's a lvl 30 or so beginner, and a level 40 or so Legacy 1+ player, we get stuck with the 30, because I'm level 75 and only on my 2nd Legacy. I don't think they take the amount of Legacies into consideration when "balancing" teams.

Yeah, this was pretty terrible in December/January where there were still a lot of games with half of the people who had legacy 2 or 3 and half of the people in the normal levels. So many games with all legacy vs. "new" players. Incredibly annoying. Now it doesn't bug me anymore because everyone with the dlc is legacy 3 or something.

eloestmn

Are you asking him to team stack like everyone else?

No, I asked if there was anything keeping him from playing with friends or if he was set on playing solo. What part of that didnt you understand? Not everyone that plays with friends are team stacking, its entirely fucking possible for 5 people to get up and just have a blast, win or lose.

hao chi

Finally bought the FHC. I'm loving the co-op add-ons.

For the most part I like the U2 map remakes. Even if I don't necessarily prefer all the new redesigns, they're still nice. The Fort looks gorgeous now, but I honestly hate the new Train Wreck; the snow wasn't just for aesthetics!

Old Quarter is one of the best Uncharted maps, London Streets seems pretty good, and I think I'll really like Graveyard when I get the hang of it. Not a fan of Oasis so far though.

jett

D-Member
Finally bought the FHC. I'm loving the co-op add-ons.

For the most part I like the U2 map remakes. Even if I don't necessarily prefer all the new redesigns, they're still nice. The Fort looks gorgeous now, but I honestly hate the new Train Wreck; the snow wasn't just for aesthetics!

Old Quarter is one of the best Uncharted maps, London Streets seems pretty good, and I think I'll really like Graveyard when I get the hang of it. Not a fan of Oasis so far though.

Desert Village has taken that torch, although it was much cooler how the snow got worse progressively in Uncharted 2.

I love the new Train Wreck though, I think it's the best looking map of them all.

hao chi

I don't really see Desert Village's sandstorm as a replacement for or improvement over Train Wreck's snow. Even at its lightest, the snow in Train Wreck still hindered your ability to see across the map a bit, so I liked how it was a bit easier to move around undetected. Also, the sandstorm on Desert Village is very nice, but it doesn't last very long and usually only happens once a game. The way the snow gradually switched between heavy and light was just amazing.

I dunno, my butthurt over Train Wreck's changes are probably partly due to me growing up in Arizona, so I find desert themes a bit boring while snow is infinitely more interesting. But still, I love what the snow added to Train Wreck beyond just being awesome to look at.

hao chi

Thanks for the free win, ND. My team was losing an Objectives match 2-1, and we were down 4-2 in Multi Marked Man, when our Marked Man left the game and since a new Marked Man was never appointed, we were able to come back and win that round, and won the last round which was Treasure Hunter.

Seriously, when is this bullshit glitch going to be fixed? It's been around forever and is one of the worst ones in the game.

Mr. Fix

They operate on ND time so who knows. I tried out Shades mode on Old Quarter and it was pretty fuckin' fun. It should seriously be on Arena too but whatever. Now that I'm into Shades, why the hell isn't the Cave/Temple a shades map? Man, that would hit the spot.

All the new maps are great, and they look fuckin' amazing too. I was a little iffy seeing Oasis, but damn does it look and play good- Old Quarter putting them all to shame though.

Tl;dr- ND, make the Cave and Temple a Shades/Arena map damnit. And while you're at it, London Underground too.
Have they given a reason as to why the specific maps didn't make the co-op cut?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Something was wrong with the servers tonight or something because I have never experienced so much lag since the first beta hit. Whenever I got paired up with Japanese players, the game was unplayable. People would stay frozen for like a minute and then die and I'd be running around and all of a sudden die by the person I killed. Players moving around the map like at 10fps...it was horrible. This was mostly in the DLC maps that just came out.

hao chi

Something was wrong with the servers tonight or something because I have never experienced so much lag since the first beta hit. Whenever I got paired up with Japanese players, the game was unplayable. People would stay frozen for like a minute and then die and I'd be running around and all of a sudden die by the person I killed. Players moving around the map like at 10fps...it was horrible. This was mostly in the DLC maps that just came out.

I was playing an Objectives match on Village and some guy kept punching me and I wasn't taking any damage. Now I know what it's like to be that asshole.

To make it funnier, he kept sliding towards me from five feet away whenever he meleed.

Really, really enjoying it so far. I've just started the
pirate
bit and I can't see where the complaints all came from yet. Particular highlights are the
Chateau escape and Talbot chase
so far. Playing on Hard Mode, and it seems a little easy. Due to the aiming change perhaps?

Yeah, just played with company watching and we can see the delayed kills. Effed me big time. The time I spent reloading to get in more shots (at which point they finally died) wad when I was left open for the kill. Had the kill registered, I would never have been in that situation. The joke became my reloads caused my enemies to die.

What the fuck is with this ridiculous difficulty spike in the
hull of the sinking ship

Any tips, I can't handle it when they start coming from all directions?

TripOpt55

Game is so much more fun with DLC turned off. I can't quite compete with those teams in DLC matchmaking. Glad they added the option to turn it off when I am fed up with it.

So why was I unable to use my current stats, unlocks, and purchases while playing offline splitscreen co-op with my dad yesterday?

Wait.... I guess I should have booted up online and opted for splitscreen there and ran a custom game? Odd, though, how offline play won't recognize your purchases but still shoves it in the face of non-online users to show what they're missing haha.

Tried to beat the game on crushing mode but I finally hit a ceiling in Rameses' ship. Immediately after the already annoying armored miniboss there's a room that's just an experience in frustration... The guys at naughty dogs that were responsible for the graphics earned their pay checks but the merits of the guys that are responsible for the game's AI are more questionable.

I just hate when turning the difficulty up only translates into enemies with pinpoint targeting accuracy, generalized wall hacks and infinite grenades (with the ability to put them at your feet). Where is the fun? In Golden Abyss I guess because it's a much more enjoyable experience than U3. Much less advanced graphically but so much more entertaining and I won't even insist on how GA's double sticks+gyro gameplay trounces U3's control. Yeah, even the alternate one.

iLLmAtlc

So why was I unable to use my current stats, unlocks, and purchases while playing offline splitscreen co-op with my dad yesterday?

Wait.... I guess I should have booted up online and opted for splitscreen there and ran a custom game? Odd, though, how offline play won't recognize your purchases but still shoves it in the face of non-online users to show what they're missing haha.

Yup you've got it. Sign into online, hit the Split-Screen option and choose guest. Now you can use everything in a custom game and if you're playing co-op you can level up and earn treasures too.

Yup you've got it. Sign into online, hit the Split-Screen option and choose guest. Now you can use everything in a custom game and if you're playing co-op you can level up and earn treasures too.
Yeah, tried it out after you posted that.

It still boggles me that even though its unusable offline, they show shopping carts next to skins and such. Why? If I can't use it even though I do, in fact, own them... then why advertise it to offline users? Can you imagine they take their system to someone's house who does have a connection, buys the stuff and then can't play with it in their own home?

hao chi

It amazes me how oblivious some of the people that play this game are. I've had far too many teammates just run right past (or sometimes through the middle of) a gunfight completely unaware of what's going on around them.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
It amazes me how oblivious some of the people that play this game are. I've had far too many teammates just run right past (or sometimes through the middle of) a gunfight completely unaware of what's going on around them.
That's because people never move their cameras to look at their surroundings, which is a big mistake on their part. It's crucial that you're always moving your camera around to see what's going on. When I was leveling up Cloaked, this became even more apparent as I'd follow people for minutes and they wouldn't be aware that I was sneaking up behind them.

Fuck 100% silent Cloaked Level 3. ND, don't back out of your words when you said that 100% silent skins wouldn't be in this game.

hao chi

Yeah, a lot of people don't spin their camera around nearly as much as they should. I think a pretty decent amount of people play with no sound as well. That's the only way I can explain those weirdos that just casually stroll through me middle of a gunfight and at no point decide to step in.

Yeah, a lot of people don't spin their camera around nearly as much as they should. I think a pretty decent amount of people play with no sound as well. That's the only way I can explain those weirdos that just casually stroll through me middle of a gunfight and at no point decide to step in.

A lot of them might be just kids still learning their ways. For example, my 11 year-old nephew plays Uncharted MP occasionally when he's at my house and he would always just run off following his nose, without looking around or being aware of his surroundings whatsoever. I'm trying to teach him basic situational awareness though, the common tactics people will use in various situations and maps, how to catch people off guard, to be mindful of the noises around him, and so on, but even though it's sinking in a bit, he will still often run around obliviously. On the other hand, those people could also be adult players that just suck and don't strive to improve their game. :p

Mr. Fix

Does anyone remember how the Lab in UC2 started? Was it just one gametype at first? I'm hoping they throw a bunch it at launch. My friend and I have been playing 1 on 1, so we're definitely looking forward to an all RPG type.

*Edit: Are they all temporary? I thought they were permanently added to the list? Also, if Elimination ends up as a Lab mode, the fuck off ND. :/

Does anyone remember how the Lab in UC2 started? Was it just one gametype at first? I'm hoping they throw a bunch it at launch. My friend and I have been playing 1 on 1, so we're definitely looking forward to an all RPG type.

*Edit: Are they all temporary? I thought they were permanently added to the list? Also, if Elimination ends up as a Lab mode, the fuck off ND. :/

They were temporary (mostly just one weekend, though a few of them were left up longer, iirc), one gametype at a time, after that they were gone for good.

Mr. Fix

They were temporary (mostly just one weekend, though a few of them were left up longer, iirc), one gametype at a time, after that they were gone for good.

Wow, my memory's really bad. I thought I remember being able to play a custom game with my buds and being able to pick from any type, and seeing different types come up on vote when playing against randoms.

TripOpt55

Wow, my memory's really bad. I thought I remember being able to play a custom game with my buds and being able to pick from any type, and seeing different types come up on vote when playing against randoms.

The last game did have some deathmatch variants available too. They came up in some of the playlists (all modes... something else maybe) and were available in custom game from what I recall. The Lab was a different deal (though there was some crossover I believe). But I think all rpgs, pistols/grenades and maybe one more (sniper/pistole?) were available in custom game and some of the playlists. It has been a while since I played though.

You're partially right. As TripOpt55 already explained, there was the "All Competitive" playlist, which inlcuded the "Pistols & Grenades", "RPG-7s", and "Sniper & Pistole" DM variants. The latter two got replaced by "No Power Weapons" and "Desert-5" modes after a while.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
It's pretty sad that there were more playlists options and custom options in Uncharted 2 than in Uncharted 3.

JB1981

It's not that bad. If you want pure dogshit try "playing" King Of Fighters XIII. Most of the time UC3 is fine.

My bullets hit their target and seem to vanish in thin air, like I'm hitting nothing. Then the times when I do kill someone their death is always delayed. The lag is so much worse than UC2. It's not my connection, don't have these issues with other games. Been going back and forth between this and Gears 3 (which is on dedis) and the difference is night and day.

jett

D-Member
My bullets hit their target and seem to vanish in thin air, like I'm hitting nothing. Then the times when I do kill someone their death is always delayed. The lag is so much worse than UC2. It's not my connection, don't have these issues with other games. Been going back and forth between this and Gears 3 (which is on dedis) and the difference is night and day.

Well weird. Kills are always delayed for half a second for me, I just chalk it up to "natural" lag. It was the same for UC2.

It's pretty sad that there were more playlists options and custom options in Uncharted 2 than in Uncharted 3.

I do miss being able to choose between different sub-games inside a playlist. That was just smart in UC2.

BTW The Lab in UC2 was left in a sad state. Instead of a rotating playlist it only has Crushing Deathmatch.

TripOpt55

BTW The Lab in UC2 was left in a sad state. Instead of a rotating playlist it only has Crushing Deathmatch.

I hated Crushing Deathmatch so much. I remember they were going to switch it to All Hammers, but then the PSN thing happened and they just never changed the Lab again.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Yeah, ND left me hanging on the Hammers Only lab. That shit was so much fun that I was looking forward to it...then the PSN hack happened and it never saw the light of day.

As previously mentioned several thousand times in this thread by me and other people:

arne, FIX the Team Objective Marked Man glitch. That is GAME BREAKING. Yesterday, it happened two times against people who were partied up. When the match is close and the other team was losing, the person who was marked left on purpose in order to try and get an easy cheap win point. This needs to be addressed IMMEDIATELY.

Top Bottom