• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starlight Inception is out I think? |OT?|

I feel kinda bad that i completely forgot i ks this until i saw an email saying i got a vita key.

will dl though. Haven't played a space game on portable since galaxy on fire 2 and before that, infinite space.

wait there is a sp campaign?

thought it was just space death match mp game >.<"

these vita screenshots look kinda shitty. kinda wished i opted for steam key, oh well. will dl when i get home from work.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
This game looks god awful.

Also, I like the first line in the description:

SI said:
One hundred years from tomorrow...World War IV has erupted across the star system and you assume the role of a spacefighter pilot in the middle of the action.!

Shouldn't it be called "System Wide War IV"? Or "Solar War IV"?

And, add in a typo.

yeah curious if they are doing something really different because this looks like a generation behind visually with galaxy on fire 2 which i paid $10 for.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
On why the game is priced as such:

We did have several discussions regarding the price of Starlight Inception. We decided on $22.99 because we feel it is a good value at that price given the feature set, content, and more than 40 hours of single-player gameplay, an online multiplayer component for up to eight players, and a first-person mode which lets you explore your mothership between missions. The two full single-player campaigns are one heavily scripted story based and one tower defense based.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I remember the kickstarter for this.

Warning signs:

1. Targetting a handheld for a space sim? Yea that's not going to nerf the controls to the point of ruining the experience. Especially funny since the pitch kept referencing X-Wing/Tie Fighter as the primary inspiration. Yea this will map to a Vita just fine...

13997713503_05a99315a3_o.jpg
13997713383_c7ab9cc3ac_o.jpg

13977720095_fc05a1e917_o.jpg
13977719975_e9580a8c76_o.jpg

2. Lead designer of Star Wars Force Commander was the lead for this. Force Commander is the absolute worst game I've ever owned.

3. They were asking for way too little money for the game they wanted to make.

So yea, odds of this being good seem low.

Kemal86

The PSN Store description reads like it was rung through Google translate. I Kickstarted this but kinda wish I didn't :/ Also the screens on the PSN Store look abysmal, but maybe it looks better in game. Haven't finished downloading it yet.

Probably a bad sign if your own store description cites your own game as being "relevant".

redhood56

Banned
The PSN Store description reads like it was rung through Google translate. I Kickstarted this but kinda wish I didn't :/ Also the screens on the PSN Store look abysmal, but maybe it looks better in game. Haven't finished downloading it yet.

Probably a bad sign if your own store description cites your own game as being "relevant".
I played the beta on the vita and can confirm that the pics on the psn page look the same. From the little I played it seemed pretty bad too.

epmode

I remember the kickstarter for this.

Warning signs:

1. Targetting a handheld for a space sim? Yea that's not going to nerf the controls to the point of pointlessness. Especially funny since the pitch kept referencing X-Wing/Tie Fighter as the primary inspiration. Yea this will map to a Vita just fine...

http://i.imgur.com/MPxkUVu.png

2. Lead designer of Star Wars Force Commander was the lead for this. Force Commander is the absolutely worst game I've ever owned.

3. They were asking for way too little money for the game they wanted to make.

So yea, odds of this being good seem low.

I backed it because I really wanted a new space sim, dammit. Probably a bad idea in retrospect.

But hey, Star Citizen, Elite Dangerous, Enemy Starfighter, EVE: Valkyrie.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Apparently I backed this... lol

Wow, they sent out keys in September 2013. I guess this is what happens when you don't check email.

Welp, I have both the Vita and Steam versions of this, so I guess we'll see what's gone on with this one. Of the Kickstarters I've backed this is the one I'm most skeptical about, but on the other hand the devs have been nice whenever I've had to interact with them (I never got my Steam key originally and they re-sent it post-haste after I discovered this five months after the fact) so... well, fingers crossed!

Charcoal

I remember seeing this on KS when they still had the Air Force's logo. They got in trouble and changed it to what it is now, which I think looks horrible.

Haunted

I do like myself a good space sim, even a game just limited to arena dogfighting, but if this is your key art

10172806_641166752598326_1265313553848697101_n.jpg

...I mean, yikes. Don't get me started on the actual screens.

SnowTeeth

Banned
The absolute worst thing I thought about the Vita beta was the hideous amount of aliasing going on and it doesn't seem like that is going to change. It sounds like the framerate issues are sorted however, which is great but I'm also hoping for the controls to be tightened somewhat. Yeah the game is low-budget but that obviously doesn't mean it can't be fun.
I like the fact you can explore the carrier in first-person and I think there will be some decent mission variety. The music sounds good from what I've heard so far. Hope the campaign is interesting and multiplayer is a nice bonus in my book.

I looking forward to the release in SCEE PSN tomorrow, if I get my key in time that is.

Initial impressions: SUPER JANK. The game skips all the opening cutscenes for some reason, as if I'm holding down a key when really I'm not. There's a short sequence where you walk to the ready room that manages to forget twenty years' worth of first-person shooter controls, and for some reason the game doesn't want me to use my joystick. In the tutorial you can't even bring up a menu or anything, you have to hit Alt-F4 to even begin to try and reconfigure, which is why I'm posting this now.

I'll be back.

Tobor

I Kickstarted this as well. Space fighting game on Vita was enough for me to drop $15, apparently. /shrugs

Downloading.

Okay, I'm back after DYING IN THE TUTORIAL SECTION, which is pretty shocking to me. I did beat all of Strike Suit Zero, Freespace/Freespace 2, Wing Commanders 1, 2 and 4, etc. so I'd hope I would know how to play these kinds of games by now. I got killed by a bunch of stationary turrets that shouldn't be able to cut through my shields, except it doesn't even seem like I have any shields, so I dunno. I guess I should dodge the turret fire except my only warning that anything was up was a light beeping sound and a DMG meter of 80%, which apparently means you've been DAMAGED to 80%, not 80% health. Ooops.

Not sure if the Vita version is better (I'd hope so) but the Steam version needs work. For some reason, the afterburner is constantly firing. Joystick control setup is limited to picking from one of three schemes, two of which seem to be exactly the same and the third just takes away one of the joystick axes. Also, the game mapped bank to the roll axis and vice-versa until I switched to "Config 1 (No Z Axis)" and then back to Config 1, which, okay, sure.

I feel like the beta demo these guys put out a few months ago wasn't nearly this bad, so I'm wondering if trying to support more devices and getting the UI up to snuff caused all these problems. But I would consider this game still in Early Access for now. Hopefully they can clear up some of these bugs, because I really want there to be a decent game behind all of this stuff.

Tobor

Haha, I just died twice in the tutorial on the Vita as well. Wtf is up with these turrets?

Also, the Y axis invert setting works in the cockpit, but not in the first person walk around bit in the beginning. This is really basic stuff, guys. Come on.

It's weird to think that this and Strike Suit Zero are both Kickstarter games. Strike Suit Zero had a lot more polish out of the gate. I posted a bug report in the Steam forum so we'll see what happens from there.

A little disappointed that I paid $45 for a Steam and Vita copy, though. That's kind of bonkers money in the harsh light of day.

These comments are bumming me out...I thought the beta was decent enough, and have no issues dropping $20ish on a portable space flight sim. I was set to dl it tonight, but this thread has given me pause. Really bummed.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
After playing the beta for an hour, I knew this game was fundamentally broken.

The best thing I got out of this thread was the guy who made this was the lead designer on Force Commander.

I looked him up on Mobygames, and he has been out of the industry for 13 years. Go figure.

played the tutorial mission.

initial thoughts,

how the fuck do they expect anyone to read the text of this on a vita?

Bl3-dDgIUAATbOT.jpg:large

its like playing a 90s pc game at native res on today's resolutions and trying to read the text.

is the text legible on the bottom right on the pc version in cockpit mode?

Bl3-hNMIUAAXH1A.jpg:large

Anyhow horrendous graphics aside, the gameplay is solid enough so far. I just wish for a game that is vita lead, shit is way too dark, and the resolution is horrendously low, like this is a psp game or something.

Aaron

Whew, looks like a dodged a kickstarter bullet on this one. I like space sims, but this one seemed like a mess from the start.

Seagoon

While I appreciate actually getting a delivered product and the constant updates and friendly nature of the the devs, I just don't like this game at all.

The presentation looks awful from the overuse of lens flares, the menus and fonts to the generic looking character models in the briefings. The voiceovers are uninspiring and the game itself though solid enough just lacks any soul.

I wish this game could have worked out for me as I was really excited after the pitch video.

Holy fuck, whoever was responsible for the UI of the Vita version messed up big time. The text is too small, and the interface is just super confusing. It literally hurt to try to read what was happening.

Beyond that, the aesthetic is early 90s PC. The graphics are simple. The cockpit animation is embarrassing. The only thing that makes me not wonder whether I'm playing a Pocket PC game from 2004 is the framerate.

Up till now, I've been pretty happy with either the progress, or end results of everything I've Kickstarted. I'll give it another try after I've had some rest, but so far, I gotta say stay away from this game on the Vita.

I would kill for Colony Wars Vita right about now.

SparkTR

So ugliness aside, is it good/fun?

I nearly bought this today but I thought I'd wait to see some impressions. I could always download Freespace 2 off GOG instead if I have to...

The reviews on Steam are generally positive, but most were from the Early Access and may be biased. I'm waiting before I purchase it, it definitely doesn't look like it even begins to stand next to FS2.

Fuck. Fuck! What in the hell is that supposed to be? They should have stuck to PC only, they clearly didn't have the money and staff to make a competent portable port.

Well they just barely got their limit and for that amount of money it's atleast a working videogame that came out fairly quickly.

Can't say the same about many other Kickstarter projects. But yeah, they could have used some more graphics artists :D

Kickstarter page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/732317316/starlight-inceptiontm

Well they just barely got their limit and for that amount of money it's atleast a working videogame that came out fairly quickly.

Can't say the same about many other Kickstarter projects. But yeah, they could have used some more graphics artists :D

Kickstarter page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/732317316/starlight-inceptiontm
I could have downloaded No Gravity-The Plague of Mind and gotten that.

It's worrying that so many Kickstarters are focused on additional platforms for stretch goals. The blockbusters like Mighty #9 should be ok, and Wayforward is experienced enough with multiple platforms so that Shantae should be competent. But some of these smaller teams that just make their not-too-realistic stretch goals, are going to push out stuff like this.

I'm choosing primary platforms for the rest of my Kickstarters.

Seagoon

Anyone else trying to play this with the 360 controller? I'm fighting to keep the reticle on static targets, it's like the deadzone is all screwed up.

Top Bottom