• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles you've regretted buying?

gerudoman

I guess it could be PS2, which I bought half a year ago and I've only used to play the Silent Hill games and MGS2. None of the Sony games really appeal to me and considering the huge backlog I already had by the time I bought it, I never find time to play time-consuming games such as the GTA or Kingdom Hearts.

Honestly, I don't regret at all its purchase. It was pretty cheap and I've enjoyed SH2 a lot.

EVIL

360, if I ever want to get rid of a console, the 360 would be it. I only bought it because my colleagues talked me into it so we could hang out online and play online game. Well hardly anybody plays online again and after my gold subscription ended, I never found a good reason booting the damn thing. I get more playtime on my wii (Monster Hunter tri ftw) and my ps3

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Gamecube. The only two games I really liked on it were Wind Waker and F-Zero GX.

FL4TW4V3

Bought a Wii as the first current gen console, day one. I sold it 4 months later at a slight loss. Never regretted doing so.

32X. That thing just did not have anything worth my time. (Though I did play a bit of Star Wars arcade)

And if it wasn't for the Lunar games - Sega CD.

Damn you Sega and your expansions!!!

NFreak

Every portable platform I bought (PSP, DS, iTouch). Portable gaming just doesn't work for me. Well, at least the iPod can play music.

So can the DSi, and PSP... :p

Bought a Wii as the first current gen console, day one. I sold it 4 months later at a slight loss. Never regretted doing so.

How the hell did you sell the Wii at a loss 4 months after launch? They were still very hard to find then.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
The one that springs to my mind is the 3DO. Bought it since it was the only console that had a Super Turbo port at the time, but I hated the damn thing. The load times were horrible and I never got used to the controller.

What are yours?

Current generation excluded as not to induce any flame wars.

PSP. I never felt in love with the system itself.

klee123

X360 - Initially wanted one for the Japanese rpgs, but once the PS3 started gaining steam, the 360 was as useful as a doorstop for me. Add the fact that it costs money to play online, controller is shitty and unappealing exclusives besides 1-2 games was a huge mistake on my part. Thank god I only paid half price.

My N64, the best console I ever had....but I paid £249.99 for it and two weeks later Nintendo dropped the price to £149.99 and this was like two months after launch.

Never bought another console at launch since. Always waited for the 1st price drop.

Moaradin

Gears of War 3 limited edition Xbox 360. I'm primarily a PC gamer, but I like having a console around to play the rare console exclusive that is a must play. My OG xbox finally red ringed, so I needed a replacement and I was caught up in the GOW3 hype at the time. I was pretty good at Gears 1 and I liked the beta, so I bought it.

Barely ended up playing the game and now the only game I play on xbox is marvel vs. capcom 3.

Apenheul

I don't do regret

tve13191-20031208-1646.gif

But seriously, if you regret buying any of the systems released in the past 10 years because 'there was no software that interests you' I pity you, you just weren't looking.

Blastoise

Banned
Probably buying another 360 when my first red ringed. I had a PS3 and a good PC so I was pretty much covered, unless I wanted to play Halo or Gears (which I didn't).

rCIZZLE

Wii and, as much as I hate to admit it, the Saturn. My parents bought me a Saturn instead of a Playstation on my dumb 8 year old self's recommendation. This was merely months before Sega moved on and Sony was releasing great RPGs and platformers left and right. My brother already had a N64 so that was covered. As for the Wii, I was really disappointed with the original motion control and launch/upcoming games. I guess the low price, new zelda game, and newness of motion controls were my reasons for impulse buying it for my next gen console. Only had it for a week before I sold it towards a 360.

... then I regretted buying the 360 when the fucker red ringed 9 months later.

danmaku

But seriously, if you regret buying any of the systems released in the past 10 years because 'there was no software that interests you' I pity you, you just weren't looking.

And I envy you, for the crazy amount of money and free time you must have.

The Sega Saturn.

Well. I didn't technically buy it, my dad bought it for me for my birthday.

I was too young and broke to understand the import market and games back then were fucking expensive so I rented them from Blockbuster instead. The one game I did get for the system was NHL Powerplay '96 which came out to $94 after taxes (Canadian). The library was never that big as time went on, you could see the gaming magazines gradually cover more and more of the Playstation and N64.

I was so soured by the experienced, I became a 100% PC gamer since.

Elixist

32X.

Well, I didn't buy it. My parents got it for me for Christmas back in the day.

So I guess I feel bad that I convinced my parents to get it for me.

haha same exact boat on this one. Wat a fuking piece of shit the 32x was. Psp for me as well, not because its a bad system i just never realy played it *shrugs*

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Probably the original Nintendo DS. I don't feel like I've ever been burned by bad iterations of franchises I like on any other console (New Super Mario Bros., Animal Crossing, Final Fantasy Tactics, Pokemon, Dragon Quest, etc.), and the stuff that was new really didn't speak to me at all. Stuff like Nintendogs and Phoenix Wright really just didn't resonate with me at all. It is also an extremely cumbersome and shoddy device that hasn't held up at all compared to any of my other handhelds. There are games for it that I like, principally Kirby Canvas Curse, but I'm not sure it outweighs the money I've blown on games that I don't like.

Anteater

I don't really regret buying any of them, but I wouldn't have bought the big 360 if I get to choose again, I would've just waited and get the slim, since there wasn't really a lot of exclusives I was dying to play.

Wii - I'm not 100% sure why I never could "get" into it. I really enjoy Mario Galaxy and Xenoblade, but I'm far from finishing either of them.
I think it's both graphics and the input. I'm spoiled by HD and the superior 360 controller.

Sort of regretting buying a 3DS last summer, because of the price-drop and the Zelda-3DS, but OoT did keep me company while I was in the hospital, so it wasn't that bad.

Wii - I'm not 100% sure why I never could "get" into it. I really enjoy Mario Galaxy and Xenoblade, but I'm far from finishing either of them.
I think it's both graphics and the input. I'm spoiled by HD and the superior 360 controller.

This is pretty much the response I was going to write except replace 360 with PS3.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I honestly cannot fathom why people would buy a console or a handheld and regret buying it; reminds me of the people who go and buy the hardware and then sell it again 6-12 months down the line. Are your decisions as a consumer so ridiculous? Surely you should perform a little more research before dropping cash down on a product.

Even in this thread there are people listing multiples rather than a singular product. You would think that if the buyer's remorse continued to happen, then the problem lies a little closer to home rather than the fault of the hardware itself.

I regret buying a 3DS. Ended up selling it a month ago when i could still get most of my money back :p What a disappointment game catalogue wise.

It had one analog stick post Dualshock one, and fewer buttons on top of that...

Both of those for me were easily overlooked. The size of the controller felt great in my hands, and the controller itself had one of the most awesome memory cards. I think Gamecube's and Dreamcast's controllers are some of the best. :)

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
PSP. I bought it for the two GoW games (which ended up being ported to the PS3 later anyway), and the only other games I've bought for it and liked are KH: BbS and FF VII: Crisis Core. Plus the analogue nub is utter shit, and my hands get cramps from holding the damn PSP during long gaming sessions.

TheOddOne

I honestly cannot fathom why people would buy a console or a handheld and regret buying it; reminds me of the people who go and buy the hardware and then sell it again 6-12 months down the line. Are your decisions as a consumer so ridiculous? Surely you should perform a little more research before dropping cash down on a product.

Even in this thread there are people listing multiples rather than a singular product. You would think that if the buyer's remorse continued to happen, then the problem lies a little closer to home rather than the fault of the hardware itself.
Pretty much.

rCIZZLE

Well, you have to consider situations like the Saturn losing support, 360 rrod, and PS3 ylod.

hertog

1 Xbox / luckil it got shenmue 2 that I missed on my dreamcast, only bought 3 games for it. But I got my xbox free with a mobile phone subscription

2 Nintendo DS, mini games aren´t my thing. too gimmicky but it had the phoenix wright games

3 Dreamcast / enjoyed the hell out of it, one of my favorite consoles ever. So it hurt me that they stopped supporting it so early :(

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
#1: XBox 360 (failure rate, lack of exclusives)
#2: The Dreamcast (no RPG's, poor controller)
Skies of Arcadia, Grandia 2 and PSO are very much RPGs. There weren't many though, so from the perspective of a fan of the genre I can understand that.

Controller isn't always 100% comfortable to use though, I'll admit you that.

tpax

Banned
I regret buying GBA day one, I regret buying NDS day one, I regret buying PSP day one (jap. import), I regret buying Wii, I regret buying Xbox 360, I regret buying PS3. Somehow I regret buying any console in the last 8 years. I bought and sould PS3 about 3 times, just because of exclusives. If I buy a console I play at most 3 days in a row and then never ever touch that thing again, and I even don't know why. Probably I just can't lower my standards since I'm a PC gamer for over 15 years.

Top Bottom