• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Netflix on Xbox is Fucking Awful

Why would it start trying to play the first video of the series before I can even go into the episode list? It's slower and even more laggy. Was I supposed to like it better? The fuck is this?

Lanbeast

Along with every other new thing that comes out, ever, it will probably be fixed in the next few weeks. Nothing ever goes 100% according to plan.

Fuck, I'm right there with you. SMH.

My biggest complaint is how it looks when you're browsing through titles. I don't need to see every row of every catagory at the same time. Such a horrible UI, who thought that was a good idea?!

JB1981

Give me a break. I tried this last night expecting the worst after reading the impressions on GAF and it's not bad at all. What an exaggerater

Give me a break. I tried this last night expecting the worst after reading the impressions on GAF and it's not bad at all. What an exaggerater

Tag Quote. I can't believe the responses in this thread! It's terrible and it replaced a something perfectly fine!

OnPoint

Why would it start trying to play the first video of the series before I can even go into the episode list? It's slower and even more laggy. Was I supposed to like it better? The fuck is this?

It really is a horrible change isn't it?

I might start viewing Netflix on the PS3 instead. It's horrible.

mik83kuu

Banned
Just watched a bunch of cool episodes of my favorite American shows with my buddies (some of them here with me and rest in party watch mode). It's super slick, responsive and we had a blast. I was hailed the king of the party and got a BJ from my lady friend who I have a crush on.

OP what are you talking about?

*cries* I don't even live in NA and will never know the touch of a woman, have friends or use Netflix

epmode

I still miss that awesome PS3 test UI.

The fact that the new 360 Netflix starts to play the instant you select a TV show makes it the worst UI out of every device I've tried.

jmdajr

Last night Netflix looked awesome for me and I hardly ever get it to stream in HD.
Some of ya'll must have sacrificed your quality for my hi-def experience.

thanks bros!

It has to be a bug. A only functions as a play movie button no matter what your doing it seems. So completely forgetting a select function seems way too big to happen on purpose.

OnPoint

I still miss that awesome PS3 test UI.

The fact that the new 360 Netflix starts to play the instant you select a TV show makes it the worst UI out of every device I've tried.

Yeah, I don't understand how they could have thought this was a good idea

I thought all the new video "apps" were made by one company all using the same core elements - which means there is a chance this could not be optimized to work best with Netflix like the old one was.

There is always updates ahead to fix things.

RedAssedApe

Banned
The HD playback is fine. Its just the streaming method has changed it doesn't do the long pre-buffering like before. Its actually in line with how it streams on the PS3 and web now. The quality is lower at the beginning and after a few seconds you should be seeing HD.

If you still aren't seeing HD maybe its a connection issue on your end or Netflix is experiencing load problems. You should double check the former and then contact Netflix support.

jmdajr

I thought all the new video "apps" were made by one company all using the same core elements - which means there is a chance this could not be optimized to work best with Netflix like the old one was.

There is always updates ahead to fix things.

no way dude, sell your xbox now!

Heysoos

I really don't believe you since there is no way the existing system can physically be faster.

What....?

I don't care if you don't believe me. For me it starts up super fast, HD starts streaming almost instantly now and so does playing the video. With the previous one there was a bit of a delay from when I pressed play to when it actually came out and then to start off in HD, now it doesn't. And the playing the first episode isn't even that big of a deal since with a simple press of a button I'm viewing the rest right away with no delay.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Post in the netflix blog with your complaints. That always seems to have worked in the past.

http://blog.netflix.com/2011/12/netflix-unveils-new-xbox-experience.html

I want to give Netflix the benefit of the doubt and say that maybe they are constrained by some of Microsoft's requirements? It kind of seems like they wanted to be different...considering most of the apps up have the same basic organization of the dash (which a lot of you guys have also complained about).

What....?

I don't care if you don't believe me. For me it starts up super fast, HD starts streaming almost instantly now and so does playing the video. With the previous one there was a bit of a delay from when I pressed play to when it actually came out and then to start off in HD, now it doesn't. And the playing the first episode isn't even that big of a deal since with a simple press of a button I'm viewing the rest right away with no delay.

This is only true if your watching a movie or the first episode in a tv series. It's much slower going through your instant queue and trying to find a specific episode after the update.

Post in the netflix blog with your complaints. That always seems to have worked in the past.

http://blog.netflix.com/2011/12/netflix-unveils-new-xbox-experience.html

Looks like everyone is way ahead of me. Good to see!

Yeah. The only things I though that were wrong with the original interface was that you couldn't just go to the next episode, and the way you type in search. I don't understand why they had to completely change it.

StUnNeR H2K

I don't like the auto start when you select something, but it hasn't been slow for me. I actually like it better and the next episode popping up when the credits start to roll for an episode is nice.

watership

It's not all bad.

The app is actually streaming so much better than before. Everything comes in fast, and the changes in bandwidth doesn't interrupt your viewing. We now have 1080p with 5.1 audio, subtitles and alternative language tracks. Hooray.

But some of it IS bad. The black levels are sorta messed. And the lack of interface and episode choice options when selecting content is not good. The interface itself isn't terrible to me, but that's just a preference. I do notice it's not as smooth to navigate. I honestly think it's because MS launched their new APP framework API and this is really the first version of it. Hopefully we'll get an update soon. Honestly it's not as easy to navigate but i'll take this over the previous client anyday.

RedAssedApe

Banned
But some of it IS bad. The black levels are sorta messed. And the lack of interface and episode choice options when selecting content is not good. The interface itself isn't terrible to me, but that's just a preference. I do notice it's not as smooth to navigate. I honestly think it's because MS launched their new APP framework API and this is really the first version of it. Hopefully we'll get an update soon. We should push MS for a statement though.

They actually did make a statement about party chat being gone because of the new API so it wouldn't be that farfetched to think that they might be limited in other aspects. The black level issue seems to be system wide for video playback. Several bug reports on the beta/preview feedback site:

https://connect.microsoft.com/XboxL...tails/711579/video-quality-is-still-messed-up

Dunlop

I have no issues with Streaming, just the UI itself is not great.

I would be fine with just removing the autoplay and preview bulshit when you highlight a movie. Also it doesn't seem to start you at the last episode you left on, so you need to scroll up and remember yourself

watership

They actually did make a statement about party chat being gone because of the new API so it wouldn't be that farfetched to think that they might be limited in other aspects. The black level issue seems to be system wide for video playback. Several bug reports on the beta/preview feedback site:

https://connect.microsoft.com/XboxL...tails/711579/video-quality-is-still-messed-up

Hmm, I didn't notice it in the previous Netflix client during the beta. I'm sure it's not impacting my video streaming from Tvserity either.

I'll try it tonight with Zune.

jmdajr

It's not all bad.

The app is actually streaming so much better than before. Everything comes in fast, and the changes in bandwidth doesn't interrupt your viewing. We now have 1080p with 5.1 audio, subtitles and alternative language tracks. Hooray.

But some of it IS bad. The black levels are sorta messed. And the lack of interface and episode choice options when selecting content is not good. The interface itself isn't terrible to me, but that's just a preference. I do notice it's not as smooth to navigate. I honestly think it's because MS launched their new APP framework API and this is really the first version of it. Hopefully we'll get an update soon. Honestly it's not as easy to navigate but i'll take this over the previous client anyday.

there's 5.1? get the fuck outta here which movies have that? I'm tired of this fake pro logic surround stuff I'm dealing with.

The movie selection for Netflix streaming is complete garbage anyway.

Its the walmart bargain bin of shitty B movies and syndicated TV shows.

RedAssedApe

Banned
It would be cool if you could sort your queue by expiration date.

For 7.99 its still a shit-ton better than anything else out there at the moment.

Majanew

Banned
Yes, it sucks.

The black levels piss me the hell off. I have to adjust my HDTV when using Netlix (and even Zune Videos now) and then switch the blacks on my HDTV back once finished since games don't seem to be affected by the washed out blacks.

Netflix's bad black levels, no frames when rewinding/fast-fowarding, no episodes list, have to press start -- which used to pause it by hitting it once, now has to be pressed for a menu to come up to pause. The scrolling of title boxes isn't smooth anymore. Just complete garbage.

Its terrible, my 6 year old could use it before. Now its so all over the place that he doesnt know what to do. Whoever approved this should have his head cut off. Then again, when is the last time Netflix made a good decision?

AkuMifune

Banned
I'm pretty happy with the new Metro interface overall, but not being able to choose an episode until after one starts playing is ridiculous.

I have more options and control on my android phone.

Eric Hall

Has two of the best TV shows of the past decade (Breaking Bad, Friday Night Lights)

You are wrong. So very wrong.

BigMack

Yeah, I HATE this new Netflix app. It was fine before. I hate when I'm browsing my queue now and it comes to a screeching halt when I get to all my TV shows at the end of my queue. Actually froze and wouldn't do anything a couple times.

Think it has something to do with that awful new "feature" they added where when you hover over something for a couple seconds, it has to show you a screenshot of it : \

Either that or the fact that they now have like 4 rows of cover art showing at the same time. Who in the world thought that would be a good idea?

Also miss being able to browse through an episode list to just pick a random episode of a show you have already seen before. And you can't see the year a movie/documentary came out until you start watching it and hit the A button.

Top Bottom