• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT3| When having no onions makes you cry

So this game teased me. I did 3 pulls on Bartz banner and got two of his Water BSB but not the USB or LM (or Earth BSB, which seems stronger). Then I did one pull here and got Edge's USB.

Now I have two water beasts at only partial power. One with EnWater but nothing else, one with the big prize but no EnWater and both without LMs.

Sidenote: I got a chuckle out of the fact that RNG gave me a Water-based USB hours before I evacuated my home due to Irma.
If you Legend Dive Edge, he doesn't need his LMR or BSB. USB + R3 hones for the two new water ninja skills and you're all set.

So this game teased me. I did 3 pulls on Bartz banner and got two of his Water BSB but not the USB or LM (or Earth BSB, which seems stronger). Then I did one pull here and got Edge's USB.

Now I have two water beasts at only partial power. One with EnWater but nothing else, one with the big prize but no EnWater and both without LMs.

Sidenote: I got a chuckle out of the fact that RNG gave me a Water-based USB hours before I evacuated my home due to Irma.

Hope you're doing ok with minimal damage, Adawg. We were hit with Harvey and my area was decimated, not me thankfully, but hey I got bartz USB and now edges bsb and lmr.

Liquid Flame down. What a sloppy first attempt. Edge ran out of hones (R2 reflecting pool and R3 raging waters is not enough) maybe RM choice was bad too (went water DMG) leaving Tidus with his burst entry of 5k a hit to do things and ultimately I had to let the boss finish for me (via Radiant Shield) once we reached 1:16.

Edge is also level 80 which is not ideal. Good to know I can win though.

IV CM was funny. I had Cecil use Gaia's Cross and lionheart to build up Paladin force (and Edward burst for holy weakness). Taking 12 hits to the face (6 without protectga because Hyper mighty G RW being used by WM) meant he nearly died before getting the SB off. Of course 12 hits happened to be just enough to not have 2SB bars for whatever reason (as 6 was enough for one).

Did an 11 pull on the first ff4 banner since my ff4 synergy is crap

1/11 rubicane's glove ��
At least I can say something positive about that relic (unlike Rosa's armguards). +Fire and magic fist. Do you like Smoldering Flames?

Edit:
I guess this makes Gogo (w/ SSB and BSB) the new star of my mage teams.
You could give up the ability for anyone else to ever* use 6* bard and go for that +3% BLK damage while using Rods. Seriously I don't get those +3% abilities. The job motes are so limited using that screams remorse...as does shattering the abilities...maybe DeNA was saving us from ourselves by bard motes taking forever.

*-Assumnig this torment is the only source of Bard motes.

You could give up the ability for anyone else to ever* use 6* bard and go for that +3% BLK damage while using Rods. Seriously I don't get those +3% abilities. The job motes are so limited using that screams remorse...as does shattering the abilities...maybe DeNA was saving us from ourselves by bard motes taking forever.

*-Assumnig this torment is the only source of Bard motes.

Ikr. Not that I wouldn't like to give Bartz or Celes permanent +3% spellblade damage, but unless or until job motes become a renewable resource, not gonna happen.

Now from what I read on Reddit, Japan at this point has received more Bard motes than can possibly be used for the tiny amount of characters that can get 6* Bard, so in that case it miiiight actually make sense to spring for a Lv.3 bonus.

Anustart

Decided to do an 11 pull and got 2 bsbs. Both for Rubicante :/

I love mah boy Rubi tho so I'm not mad. And it's my 1st offensive relic for ff4.

Man with pencils USB and both bsbs, Edwards bsb and rosas USB and bsb, this torment cm is going to be easy. Now who to round out the team with, kain and edge with their bsbs? Ceodore with no sbs but holy abilities? Cid with his ssb break thingy. Hmmmm

If you Legend Dive Edge, he doesn't need his LMR or BSB. USB + R3 hones for the two new water ninja skills and you're all set.
Oh? Sounds great. Gotta grind Dark asap. Only 4 majors after R3ing the damaging one. The mirage stacking one is only r1 atm. I'm also 7 Dex motes short (Full LDs take 100 of each, right?).

Usability ?: One would want him chasing asap, I imagine. AS/BF seems like it would waste potential chase dps and precious hones while building to the first bar. DMT/MM typically goes to a combination of Buffer (Shout, VoF, DT), Waller, Hyper Breaker. Does that mean he needs an Entrust buddy?

Hope you're doing ok with minimal damage, Adawg. We were hit with Harvey and my area was decimated, not me thankfully, but hey I got bartz USB and now edges bsb and lmr.
My family is safe and doing great, but we haven't gone back home yet. No clue how the house is. The storm may have ventured west, but SE FL still got hit hard from what I've seen streaming local news.

Oh? Sounds great. Gotta grind Dark asap. Only 4 majors after R3ing the damaging one. The mirage stacking one is only r1 atm. I'm also 7 Dex motes short (Full LDs take 100 of each, right?).

Usability ?: One would want him chasing asap, I imagine. AS/BF seems like it would waste potential chase dps and precious hones while building to the first bar. DMT/MM typically goes to a combination of Buffer (Shout, VoF, DT), Waller, Hyper Breaker. Does that mean he needs an Entrust buddy?
Getting his USB up quick is best, which does make things awkward a bit when deciding who gets DMT/TT. You can Entrust him, or delay the buffs for two/three rounds while the support Wraths it up. Edge can be the designated RW/Magicite caster in the meantime.

Good luck with your house. Hope all is well.

Today i learned that double casting legend materias trigger on rms that take the place of attack. So my yshtola is double healing using prayer of mending, 1700 per heal for me. Minor flaw is getting healer berzerked....

This makes hit and running even easier. In this torment, fleenuntil two ahrimen who can't keep up with the damage, only physical and status. The other baddies can use magic and can kill n you.

My family is safe and doing great, but we haven't gone back home yet. No clue how the house is. The storm may have ventured west, but SE FL still got hit hard from what I've seen streaming local news.

Good luck 😀

Edit:

Done with torment. That was a close one. My strategy of using Edward to drop three whisperweeds immediately made the last 25% of globes dicey, once the boostga and imperils wore off. Still, pretty easy with Cecil bsb,2, USB and tg cid osb, and rosa USB/bsb, and vaan USB/bsb legend dived for breaks.

Highly recommend enkidu as your magicite, paralyze is a bitch at the end.

Oh my god, that was a freaking rough CM.

8BaFSjB.png

Got 200 and 250 done,

OK BSB
Vaan BSB
Palom BSB
Rosa SSB
Beatrix SSB and OSB

Magicite Enkidu 50
RW Wall

Might have to move Relm and Kain in for Rosa and Palom. Hmm.

Edit. JS down with Kain and his BSB in for our pal Palom.

20 Spirit motes. Don't see the path to the other 10 for now.

Hooray for my first torment CM down. Several S/Ls (but no HnR) and even with Edward and Cecil BSB it was tough getting the dragon down in time. Rosa's M.Blink (SSB sadly) was a complete lifesaver throughout (I forgot to remove her default SB and wound up using that near the end so bye bye Rosa...now you'll never master that SSB
or your pointless LMR
). Once again Edge ran out of hones (thankfully only needing USB and end this fight, I knew using abilities on trash was a bad idea) and Golbez BSB is pretty handy actually. Can't see that team beating the 250 given how tough that was but thankfully Cid mission done so it doesn't have to be them.

Oops that I spent 60 stamina on a Wednesday though (want the wind orbs).

Random comment. Magicite can be pretty good for the trash mobs actually. Now I feel like those "OMG how did you do demon wall nightmare before OSBs were a thing?" people.

Keym

I rage pulled on the IV banner after dying repeatedly in the torment trying to do the full party CM. Got Kain's BSB and finally beat it.

You win this round, DeNA.

Rosa SSB is just fine. Instant isn't too important unless there's a 1hp move. Stock is nice, but spending bunches to get that isn't a bright idea if you already have the serviceable SSB.

Kain BSB is amazing. As this event shows, even when not weak to Lightning, just neutral...it can still tear up bosses. Would love to get it one more time for an 8 star but now is not the time.

Just below 70 mythril ATM, so I'll be good for the luckies. Seems we'll get around 100 myth during fest so there's 2 more pulls.

Got LF under a minute. Huzzah. All under a minute cept for Golem which I havent beat.

Falk

that puzzling face
You can absolutely sub-30 with a full-dived BSB Refia.

edit:
Short term plan is to fully dive Refia and Terra, either of whom can already pretty much solo carry sub-30 Sea Lion for 5* Ice. They don't overlap and this should be doable by 30A.

what was i thinking lol who has the motes for that

edit2: Not sure how useful but discord copypasta

Code:
Ramza [Wrath Entrust] (can be any entrust bot really) Ace Striker
Tyro [Wrath Entrust] USB (using this for haste) Dr Mog's Teaching
Terra [Wrath Firaja] USB, Enfire SSB, Thunder God's Might
Alphinaud [Meltdown Shellga] Deployment Tactics Mako Might
Eiko [Curada Faith] heal BSB Battleforged

Turn 1
Ramza Wrath
Tyro USB
Terra Wrath
Alphinaud Deployment
Eiko Wall RW

Turn 2 
Ramza Wrath
Tyro Wrath
Terra Firaja self (should hit right after Wall goes up)
Alphinaud Shell
Eiko Faith on Alphinaud (probs not necessary)(edited)

Turn 3
Ramza Wrath
Tyro Wrath
Terra Wrath x2 (she should be lapping everyone because of TGM)
Alphinaud Meltdown
Eiko Faith on Terra

Turn 4
Ramza Entrust Terra
Tyro Wrath
Terra Enfire SSB
Alphinaud Meltdown
Eiko starts healing

Turn 5 onwards
Ramza (do anything)
Tyro (Entrust Terra)
Terra: OSB
Alphinaud (do anything)
Eiko (do anything)

the idea was basically to line it up so Terra has 1.8 bars, Ramza has 2, Tyro has 1.5 so Terra can OSB 5 times in a row with consecutive 2 bar entrusts

Silexx

edit:

what was i thinking lol who has the motes for that

Code:

Turn 1
Ramza Wrath
Tyro USB
Terra Wrath
Alphinaud Deployment
Eiko Wall RW

Turn 2 
Ramza Wrath
Tyro Wrath
Alphinaud Shell

Turn 3
Ramza Wrath
Tyro Wrath
Alphinaud Meltdown
Eiko Faith on Terra

Turn 4
Ramza Entrust Terra
Tyro Wrath
Terra Enfire SSB
Alphinaud Meltdown
Eiko starts healing

Turn 5 onwards
Ramza (do anything)
Tyro (Entrust Terra)
Alphinaud (do anything)
Eiko (do anything)

the idea was basically to line it up so Terra has 1.8 bars, Ramza has 2, Tyro has 1.5 so Terra can OSB 5 times in a row with consecutive 2 bar entrusts

How important is the Alph's Radiant shield in this? Because I think I could replicate this, but I would swap out Ramza with OK(and his BSB) and Alphinaud for Krile (and her SSB).

Xetherion

edit: what was i thinking lol who has the motes for that

Code:

Turn 1
Ramza Wrath
Tyro USB
Terra Wrath
Alphinaud Deployment
Eiko Wall RW

Turn 2 
Ramza Wrath
Tyro Wrath
Alphinaud Shell

Turn 3
Ramza Wrath
Tyro Wrath
Alphinaud Meltdown
Eiko Faith on Terra

Turn 4
Ramza Entrust Terra
Tyro Wrath
Terra Enfire SSB
Alphinaud Meltdown
Eiko starts healing

Turn 5 onwards
Ramza (do anything)
Tyro (Entrust Terra)
Alphinaud (do anything)
Eiko (do anything)

I don't have Refia full dived and i only have 63 5* Dex motes, so that's not happening anytime soon. Thanks for the notes though, hopefully can make it work eventually.

That's actually pretty close to the team i've been using to get ~45 second clears.

Refia [Life Siphon Fires Within] burst TGM
Ramza [Wrath Entrust] Shout DMT
Relm [Protectga Curaise] burst/ultra Ace Striker
Alphinaud [Shellga Curaja] Deployment Tactics Mako Might
Galuf [Life Siphon] Imperil burst Truthseeker

Magicite: Mom Bomb (another imperil)

So I could take out Galuf for Tyro as another entrust bot, though I'm wondering if I should give him another try with Battleforged RM to get Imperil up quicker.

Also I could give Alphi Meltdown instead of Curaja and Relm Faith instead of Protectga. I don't know how you survive like that though as Sea Lion puts out a ton of damage, especially if he spams aoe. I guess the idea is to kill him before he kills you.

Edit: forgot to mention that i tried a strat like yours with Ashe vs. Bismark, but still couldn't beat ~45 seconds. My Ashe has enLightning burst + osb, but she doesn't have Wrath access nor a Trance with quickcast. Since Refia also lacks quickcast I didn't think this would work for her either, which is why I'd like to know how War did it with Sabin.

200 and 250 down but I'm having trouble with the Jump Start. I'm unloading all my OSBs right away to down Shadow Dragon, then there's no gas left in the tank for Golbez. Need to do some tweaking.

This is the toughest Torment yet!

I did it! I beat Golem. Sadly no mastery. 1 turns, 2 damage.

Arc SSB
Curilla USB
Strago BSB
OK BSB meltdown 4, WindNinja 4
Relm BSB

Can cut some time off if I get either or both Wind attacks up to 6.

Finished at 1:10:xx

Bring on Holy-Dark magicite.

Will try with Rosa instead of Arc next go around.

200 and 250 down but I'm having trouble with the Jump Start. I'm unloading all my OSBs right away to down Shadow Dragon, then there's no gas left in the tank for Golbez. Need to do some tweaking.

This is the toughest Torment yet!

Gotta have some BSBs.

III and Tactics, I did not finish, are the hardest IMO. This one more or less is my A team. If you have Vaan BSB, an enHoly OSB combo and a fire, ice, lightning or holy BSB user...you're good to go since you must have a haster, decent healer.

I abilitied Vaan with Magic BD, as his burst wouldnt cover duration of fight.

OK FB, AB
Vaan Mug Bloodlust, MBD
Kain LD, Wind...think 2 hit crit might be better
Rosa Ultra Cure x10, Protectga
Queen B, Guardbringer x6, Shellga

Cut it close, everyone was out of just about everything.

Getting the right combo on Shadow so you're not wasting DPS is important.

Balphon

Torment 200 CM was a little rough but the JS CM was way easier than I thought it would be.

Kain BSB/Lightning Dive and Cecil BSB1/Guardbringer anchored both. Cecil BSB1 really shows its age but the entry is still okay.

WarAdept

Mind sharing your set up War? Wondering if I can do the same thing with Refia.

Here's my set up. That's Sabin's LMR, which I received from pulling too hard in the last VI event chasing after Stragos BSB (and failing to get it)

RLfUCoCl.jpg

t19DluTl.jpg

Gq61butl.jpg

Just wanted to point out that even with ~500 Atk, Shout, 3 Mom Bomb Magicite, +20% Fire damage Armour, 1 stack of Imperil Fire and Enfire Sabin, he still wasn't capping his OSB.

Physical has to work hard.

Otherwise the play by play is more or less what Falk posted.

I'll record a video of the run later today after work.

Xetherion

Here's my set up. That's Sabin's LMR, which I received from pulling too hard in the last VI event chasing after Stragos BSB (and failing to get it)

RLfUCoCl.jpg

t19DluTl.jpg

Gq61butl.jpg

Just wanted to point out that even with ~500 Atk, Shout, 3 Mom Bomb Magicite, +20% Fire damage Armour, 1 stack of Imperil Fire and Enfire Sabin, he still wasn't capping his OSB.

Physical has to work hard.

Otherwise the play by play is more or less what Falk posted.

I'll record a video of the run later today after work.

Wow, 3 Mom bombs all 80 cap broken, and 3 entrust bots. And you have his osb, which has a higher multiplier than Refia's burst... yeah pretty sure I can't replicate this. Thanks for sharing though.

Falk

that puzzling face
Edit: forgot to mention that i tried a strat like yours with Ashe vs. Bismark, but still couldn't beat ~45 seconds. My Ashe has enLightning burst + osb, but she doesn't have Wrath access nor a Trance with quickcast. Since Refia also lacks quickcast I didn't think this would work for her either, which is why I'd like to know how War did it with Sabin.

If you're using BSB commands (which Refia should be - it's a crit meme really) then there's less need to have two Entrust bots and you end up with more chip damage.

You using Cloud USB? I needed that extra damage to be able to handle both.

Tweaked my team and was able to down the full CM. Switched Ramza in for Tyro and RW'ed Sentinel Grimoire instead of Shout-- being able to cast both Shout and History's Truth really helped with damage output. Kain's BSB was beastly, even at level 80. Now I know why I chased that stupid spear over so many banners.

Having Ramza w/ LM2 cast Sentinel Grimoire ensured that two casts lasted juuust long enough for this looong fight.

Xetherion

If you're using BSB commands (which Refia should be - it's a crit meme really) then there's less need to have two Entrust bots and you end up with more chip damage.

Eh, even with boosted crit rate/dmg Refia's cmd1 isn't that great at damage... with Thunder God Mode rm it's only 3.5k per hit/7k per crit, and her crit rate is only 50%.

I can get that up to 5k/10k with a dmg rm, but then i lose the cast speed of Thunder God Mode.

ccbfan

A full set of Magicite is pretty amazing. It's like having an extra top tier buffer who can medica/imperial/elemental blink.

Couldn't defeat Sea lion since I only have 1 decent fire DPS (1 OSB with enfire) and if I increase DPS I couldn't heal fast enough.

Did a bunch of liquid flames finished with a L80 liquid flames, L80Salamander, L50 Mom Bomb.

Now with the imperial fire from Mom-Bomb I'm doing 7x K per OSB vs 4x K per OSB. Can't do sub 30 yet but after gaining some more ICE Magicite (For defense) and hopefully some better fire DSP SBs in the anniversary banners (failed with Bartz USB) I have some better luck.

Falk

that puzzling face
Eh, even with boosted crit rate/dmg Refia's cmd1 isn't that great at damage... with Thunder God Mode rm it's only 3.5k per hit/7k per crit, and her crit rate is only 50%.

I can get that up to 5k/10k with a dmg rm, but then i lose the cast speed of Thunder God Mode.

I think I actually worked out the maths way back when and found it hitting ~30s. But yeah, the difference between Terra (and other OSB characters, didn't realize how stacked WA's Mom Bomb setup was rofl) and Refia is that Terra essentially carries, whereas Refia is like 2x DPS in a more regular DPS team.

Another key component is having Chant and Eiko BSB for more partywide crit shenanigans.

Probably won't have the motes to spare to actually dive Refia and put my money where my mouth is in this case, especially with 30A coming up and since Terra already solves my MIO farming.

Xetherion

I think I actually worked out the maths way back when and found it hitting ~30s. But yeah, the difference between Terra (and other OSB characters, didn't realize how stacked WA's Mom Bomb setup was rofl) and Refia is that Terra essentially carries, whereas Refia is like 2x DPS in a more regular DPS team.

Another key component is having Chant and Eiko BSB for more partywide crit shenanigans.

Probably won't have the motes to spare to actually dive Refia and put my money where my mouth is in this case, especially with 30A coming up and since Terra already solves my MIO farming.

Yeah i wish i had Chant, though I don't know if i'd be able to get it up quick enough to make a difference since i'm also using Ramza for Shout. Also I did another Sea Lion run today and realized that after Mom Bomb and Galuf imperils her crits were hitting 8.5k, so her crits are already close to capping anyway and don't really need Chant.

I do have Eiko burst but don't use it since Refia burst provides its own crit-fix, using Relm's ultra instead for party non-charge.

WarAdept

Wait. Wait. Wait. Wait.

We can now search by element boost and resist???!!

GAME CHANGER.

Been quite a while since we can do that.

Same with searching by status infliction/resist and types of Soul Breaks, even unmastered ones.

And as an addendum to my sub 30 Sealion runs above, it's nowhere near as stable as Falk's.
A simple too many AoE's and I'm done for...
..or a Wing on Sabin on Sealion's 2nd turn for 6k.

Xetherion

Been quite a while since we can do that.

Same with searching by status infliction/resist and types of Soul Breaks, even unmastered ones.

And as an addendum to my sub 30 Sealion runs above, it's nowhere near as stable as Falk's.
A simple too many AoE's and I'm done for...
..or a Wing on Sabin on Sealion's 2nd turn for 6k.

Yeah i tried a run without Protectga and was like nope, that's not gonna work.

While I knew you could store RM inside the vault it took me until last magicite to know that they were unlimited. I just assumed they were count towards the general equipment cap. Seeing magicite have it's own vault made me figure out I was missing something.

Now when will there be a SB storage (for people like me who like to use auto equip but hate having to manage SBs afterwards...see my last post for how that nearly cost me a torment) though knowing DeNA it will only work on non-default or if you store default then optimise will equiped a shared SB relic.

Fully Legend Dived Edge (my first LD, BSB Vanille will soon be my second). I have his USB and R3 Raging Waters but only R1 Reflecting Pool. I want to use him to finally beat Fire MD, but I know I can't with weak hones like that. 10/60 MDO... this will take a while. D:

Edit: What I'm really struggling with is trying to figure out a team to take down Fenrir (want Enkidu for a FFIV CM Medica). I have Squall's OSB but no EnIce for him or anyone else. *Shrug*

ZangBa

Day 5 of no power and it's finally back, jesus. 92 degrees with humidity, I thought I was going to suffocate on the air last night. I thought I would miss the events that end on Sunday since my estimate was late that night. I feel like I missed so much even though it hasn't been that long.

Top Bottom