• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania - Special Stages, Bonus Stages, & Time Attack Shown Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

gelf

I'm sure there will be a least a couple of "Sonic was never good" reviews from people who have to compare every platformer negatively against how Mario does things differently but really why worry about it. I know this game is exactly what I want from a Sonic game, the reviews don't matter.

I don't know what 100% complete even means with Mania yet but to me a Sonic game isn't done until I've at least found most of the alternative/best paths through the levels after several replays.

Berordn

I don't know what 100% complete even means with Mania yet but to me a Sonic game isn't done until I've at least found most of the alternative/best paths through the levels after several replays.

That's the thing that kinda bothers me about completion assessments, there's a time trial mode. I guess you could call 100% seeing all the content and finishing the game with all the characters, but for me the replay value is through the roof.

Ogni-XR21

Sonic Mania Collector's Edition Unboxing from IGN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rGfhRethk4

Holy hell, the Sonic statue/figure is MASSIVE!

I have no idea where I'm going to display this thing. Because I want the box to be visible as well.

I did not expect it to be that large. I have no idea where I'll put that thing.

thatswhatshesaid

Same for me, it's almost too big. Also not a fan of the shiny surface of the statue, was expecting it to be more in line with the Generations design.

Also Amazon.de confirmed delivery for the 19th yesterday which sucks big time. And with the CE already being 90€ here double dipping really isn't an option.

Ristifer

Same for me, it's almost too big. Also not a fan of the shiny surface of the statue, was expecting it to be more in line with the Generations design.

Also Amazon.de confirmed delivery for the 19th yesterday which sucks big time. And with the CE already being 90€ here double dipping really isn't an option.
I originally had a pre-order in for the CE, but it was $100 after taxes here in Canada, so I decided against it. I just couldn't spend that much on it, especially when I thought I wouldn't get it for release day.

RRockman

Banned
Anyone have concerns playing this with the Joycon analog sticks vs a real dpad? How did that work out for Shovel Knight?

Pretty well if I do say so myself. Was able to jump in and almost finish Shovel of hope and Spear of torment. The only reason why I didn't is because too many other good games came out this year and it's sitting in my backlog. Mighty Gunvolt, another platformer played extremely well with the d buttons.

Since there is no fighter motions like DP or Hadouken in Sonic you should be fine.

EDIT: oh you mean the joysticks!!! I haven't used them actually. The dbz buttons served me well enough to that I never considered it. Sorry!

VariantX

I'm sure there will be a least a couple of "Sonic was never good" reviews from people who have to compare every platformer negatively against how Mario does things differently but really why worry about it. I know this game is exactly what I want from a Sonic game, the reviews don't matter.

It's just something that varies person to person. I know I set goals for myself like finding every giant ring location, getting super sonic as early as possible, collect x amount of rings in each level, speed running, take only the high path through the levels, then dick around with debug mode.

Mark1

Anyone who's got the game early have a question to ask. How's it faring against the classic trilogy (CD & Knuckles included)?

Sonic Mania Collector's Edition Unboxing from IGN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rGfhRethk4

Holy hell, the Sonic statue/figure is MASSIVE!

I feel kind of like an idiot because I want the collector's edition and I want the game for Switch specifically because that seems like the ideal platform for this, but I'm not planning to buy a Switch until sometime 2018. Which means I'm going to be waiting a long ass time to play this, or I'm going to cave in sooner rather than later. The thing is that since the Switch Collector's is in high demand and may become hard to find, I ordered it. So I'm just going to be sitting on a game I don't have a console for for 6+ months. And that might not even be true, this may end up being easy to find on shelves for a year, I have no idea.

1gk1fht.png

Ein Bear

Anyone have concerns playing this with the Joycon analog sticks vs a real dpad? How did that work out for Shovel Knight?

I played through Shovel Knight on the Switch (just finished it this morning actually!) and didn't have any problems with the Joycon 'D-Pad'. I wouldn't fancy trying to play anything top-down, or a fighter or something where you want to be able to hit the diagonals, but it works fine for side scrollers where you're only really using left/right/up/down.

J@hranimo

Banned
I played through Shovel Knight on the Switch (just finished it this morning actually!) and didn't have any problems with the Joycon 'D-Pad'. I wouldn't fancy trying to play anything top-down, or a fighter or something where you want to be able to hit the diagonals, but it works fine for side scrollers where you're only really using left/right/up/down.

Yeah I can second this myself. I played through Shovel Knight genderbender mode and decided to play with the joycon grip and I had no issues at all. Sonic Mania should be fine without the Pro Controller.

Yeah I can second this myself. I played through Shovel Knight genderbender mode and decided to play with the joycon grip and I had no issues at all. Sonic Mania should be fine without the Pro Controller.
I'm going to try the joy-cons, since I've heard the Pro Controller D-pad is straight up broken.

But I don't have a great feeling about it.

sonto340

I'm going to try the joy-cons, since I've heard the Pro Controller D-pad is straight up broken.

If you really must know how to feel practice holding right and then using the lower part of
Your thumb to hit down. It’s not all that different from a traditional dpad

Berordn

Honestly I alternate between the two without issue. The Pro Controller is only an issue in stuff like PPT where I might accidentally hard drop things (and there's a control scheme which lets you avoid that too).

A lot of the issues with both are a little overblown, I think. Some people do have legitimate qualms with them, but for the majority of players they'll probably fine both acceptable.

If you really must know how to feel practice holding right and then using the lower part of
Your thumb to hit down. It’s not all that different from a traditional dpad
I've used it for PPT and for Shovel Knight. It's bad. I understand what Nintendo was going for (symmetry with the other side), but the result reinforces why no one else does the d-pad this way.

Honestly I alternate between the two without issue. The Pro Controller is only an issue in stuff like PPT where I might accidentally hard drop things (and there's a control scheme which lets you avoid that too).

A lot of the issues with both are a little overblown, I think. Some people do have legitimate qualms with them, but for the majority of players they'll probably fine both acceptable.
I actually don't have a Pro controller, the fact that people have resorted to opening up a $70 controller to put tape in it so the d-pad works correctly... does not inspire consumer confidence. I'll gut it out using the joy-cons, hell, maybe I'll use the analog stick!

Haribokart

Banned
When I preordered this on the US PSN it gave me an unlock time which I've stupidly forgotten... can anybody tell me when the game unlocks please?

jobrro

Finally preordered on PS4 Pro. Was a toss up between PC/Switch/PS4 but with the PC delay and preferring the DS4's D-pad (compared to Switch) I chose PS4.

I am sure I will end up owning it on the PC too in some future bundle.

Super hyped and scared to go in the leak thread with potential spoilers.

I got Sonic 2 for my birthday many years ago (still my favorite 2D Sonic), and my birthday was yesterday. Put some of my birthday cash towards Sonic Mania.

For games that release on Tuesdays on the Switch, when can we expect this to go live? I'd obviously love for Midnight to happen but I honestly don't expect that because that would be too good.

Berordn

For games that release on Tuesdays on the Switch, when can we expect this to go live? I'd obviously love for Midnight to happen but I honestly don't expect that because that would be too good.

I don't think it's getting a midnight launch anywhere, so usual eShop update time of around 10 AM PST seems likely.

It's technically already live on Switch (that's how we got the leaks), so maybe someone can flip the... switch and put on on the storefront early.

Ferr986

I don't think it's getting a midnight launch anywhere, so usual eShop update time of around 10 AM PST seems likely.

It's technically already live on Switch (that's how we got the leaks), so maybe someone can flip the... switch and put on on the storefront early.

PSN EU version is midnight launch.

RK128

Yup, I stand corrected. Apparently it's midnight for both PS4 and Xbox One in most regions, or so I've been hearing.

I can't seem to find a statement from Sega but I'd hope it is on Switch if that's the case.

Yep, I pre-loaded the game on my PS4 last night (around 9 PM EST) and got a message saying it will start downloading in two days.

Malajax

Well, looks like YouTube is perilous for the next two days. It recommended me a video about the final boss, but luckily I didn't get a good look at it. I mean it's not the end of the world, but a surprise would be nice.

I run into this problem for a lot of things I don't want spoiled. A couple of ways to avoid:

1. Avoid youtube altogether.

2. For recommendations, click the menu next to the entry and tell youtube you're not interested in the video and tell them why. You can block whole recommendations based on the channel of the video or block based upon why it recommended it to you in the first place. That way, if you don't actively look for it, you won't run into spoilers often either. Not 100% foolproof but it will decrease chances of spoilers.

Guess Who

Banned

I greatly appreciate that they actually got this working on a real Mega CD.

Of course, if the Mania OP was really designed to be played on a Sega CD they would've stick with a more limited color palette when they made the animation, haha. Part of why the Sonic CD opening works is because it's largely just blue, green, black, brown, and red - a nice limited color palette that the Sega CD can handle without all the smooth gradients and changing landscapes of the Mania OP. Lots of detail gets lost in this conversion.

Spaghetti

I don't really go in for reviews, let alone review predictions, but I have a hard time seeing people disliking this game.

Outside of maybe the "NNYGHHHH IT'S NOOOOTTTT MARIOOOOOOO" people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom