• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

mackattk

Regarding the AR stuff, was Apple just showing basic demos? My Xperia Z3 Compact had an AR feature that mapped whatever surface I was looking at and let you add silly things like these elf looking characters that would walk around the surface. They would react to stuff that you did to them.

I mean Vita had games dedicated to AR stuff. I am pretty sure they were all crap though.

Jeffrey

Yep I'm all for innovation on the wireless tech. Mostly speed is the problem for me.

Gimme dash charging speeds without blowing up my phone and I'm good.

Only problem with getting an iPhone is relatives. One of the reason I went android for a bit was to get away from relatives face timing me all the time.

Decisions.

ArchAngel

Prediction: Google will give an option to hide the soft keys like I've been asking for since the Galaxy Nexus in the next version of Android. That or it'll be gesture based.

I'm hoping for that every year, but I don't think Google will do that.
I use the Tiles App for that, but it fucks up the whole system :(

EDIT: Just saw that DxOMark changed some things for their reviews and made some new scores: https://www.dxomark.com/dxomark-mobile-testing-protocol-scores/
Pixel added 1 point and is now on top with the U11.

"the total score can be higher than 100, we just need to wait a little longer for the cameras to get even better :)"

Sordid

I know it's 8 cores vs 4 but apart from that how much quicker is a Snapdragon 835 vs an 821 in general phone usage? I want a Mi Mix 2 but it'll probably be too pricey for me, thinking of getting a second hand Mi Mix instead. Wondering how big the performance difference will be between the two.

Busaiku

So why does Samsung not release the Exynos phones in the US?
Do they have an old contract with Qualcomm or something?

Liking my Note 8, but I'm just kind of bummed I have a slightly worse one.
Would normally get an International version, but this was all they had on the site.

Groof

Would normally get an International version, but this was all they had on the site.
in short, blame CDMA

ty_hot

I think they just cant produce as much as they want. Lately also in order to make it more difficult for the competition to get the latest soc as well.

Husker86

or you know, your country can move past CDMA

the imperial system of radio tech

While it'd be nice, I don't think it makes any sort of business sense to "upgrade" existing 3G networks for those carriers when LTE will replace all eventually.

Honestly I'm wondering how close Verizon is to that. Though they'd keep CDMA for old phones probably.

Groof

I'm just starting to wonder why Google is even bothering with putting out it's own phones when the endeavor is clearly not being taken seriously.
i'll keep saying it but the pixels are just rebranded nexus phones. clearly an effort to justify charging a higher price

rothgar

My S7 Edge has about 10 dead pixels, probably due to being dropped by my kids. I'm getting Samsung fatigue and the V30 is looking good. I'll wait till the info on the Pixl2 comes out, though, before making a purchase. I looked at the Mix 2, but no SD card support, no wireless charging, and no headphone jack is a no-go.

While I think that the design of the iPhone X is a huge dud, I absolutely love the fact that it not only comes with wireless charging, but they also adopted the Qi standard for all their new phones.
All the new wireless charging accessories are going to be amazing and hopefully it pushes more lazy OEMs to finally pick up the slack, after Nokia lead the way in 2012 and Samsung finally got around it in 2015. It's really a feature that needs to be in every flagship phone.

And suck it, everyone who said Apple would "never do wireless charging like that"

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oriOeLqOH6BidHLby/giphy.gif

and dreamt up some scenario where they invented some room-scale wireless charging technology that would fit into a phone.

i love the fact that people give some motherfuckers extra credit for doing a normal fucking thing.

next up: the day they finally include a fast charger in the box and people credit them for speeding up the charging speed of phones with an included fast charging power brick.

I know it's 8 cores vs 4 but apart from that how much quicker is a Snapdragon 835 vs an 821 in general phone usage? I want a Mi Mix 2 but it'll probably be too pricey for me, thinking of getting a second hand Mi Mix instead. Wondering how big the performance difference will be between the two.

it's all irrelevant in the end :p

a11geekbench-800x706.jpg

but seriously as for your question, I think app loading times and whatnot will be noticeably quicker on the 835. Remember it's not just a better CPU by a generation but GPU as well.

But in the grand scheme of things is it a big difference? probably not at all.

As a lover of all things tech who leans Android, Apple haters are far more annoying than anything else, especially in Apple threads.

When stuff like what's quoted below is repeated multiple times per page, I can't blame people for getting annoyed.

gotta hand it to you my friend.

visiting this thread took courage.

i'll keep saying it but the pixels are just rebranded nexus phones. clearly an effort to justify charging a higher price

I mean they're definitely higher specs than the nexus phones were but I mean what you're saying is what we knew since the day they killed the nexus line.

i love the fact that people give some motherfuckers extra credit for doing a normal fucking thing.

next up: the day they finally include a fast charger in the box and people credit them for speeding up the charging speed of phones with an included fast charging power brick.
I wasn't giving Apple any credit, I was just happy that they finally did it. The point I was making was that when Apple does something like this, it gets a lot more attention. Qi charging is still very niche and I'm hoping that other OEMs are seeing it as a checkbox feature now. Also, the accessory market for iPhones seems a lot bigger to me, which is why I think there are going to me more higher quality and well designed Qi chargers on the market.

reKon

Banned
behold: the iGenius Report

T-Mobile customers: Don’t buy a Galaxy Note 8

T-Mobile just got burned by Apple and the iPhone X

the framing of those two articles holy fucking shit

optics

I've said this before, but BGR should be a banned from this site. They're so full of shit, lol. Their trash articles always hit the front of Yahoo for some reason. That also seems to be the gathering place for Trump supporters and Russian bots. Not saying these too are related though.

But what I am saying that other Fantasy Sports, everything about Yahoo is trash.

scotcheggz

Hey guys, iPhone X looked a bit wank to me, so I'm about 99% I'm jumping ship and getting a note 8 tomorrow. I've got a couple questions which are probably dumb as hell but bear with me.

If I get a wireless charger, do I need to plug that into a wall socket? All the pictures I've seen show the chargers coming with a USB cable, but the one image I saw of an instructions booklet showed a diagram of the USB then being plugged into a USB plug socket. Would it be possible to plug that USB into the back of my keyboard for example, so I can keep my desk clutter free as possible?

And I suppose the next question is difficult, but.. please don't kill me, is android actually good now? And how is the Samsung variant? My only experience with android was from a real long time ago, maybe 7 years(ish) ago on a HTC and honestly it was jank as fuck. I've seen some videos and it looks alright, but things that I really remember and tbh didn't like, was the way that it was all so fractured back then. Like, a billion custom versions of different OS's all kinda doing different things but none really in a very polished way. I haven't followed android but it seems like that has gone away now, with Samsung and other companies kinda 'locking you in' to an OS? If anyone has any good links to any resources about that I'll gladly take em.

I think the second question is a bit broad, but jumping ship from iOS for the first time in absolutely years feels like kind of an unknown leap, especially for a device that's pretty much central to my life (sad as that is...). Anything you've got I'll take in, cheers guys.

i'm about to flash a new ROM but I'm unfamiliar with backing up Authenicator. Does anyone have an idea about this? i don't want to get locked out of my services that use Google Authenticatior. D:

Stephen Hall ragging on iPhone X/iOS on Twitter. Gotta say he certainly isn't wrong with his views on Apple's software state. For all Google does wrong I think Android is a more polished, and planned out OS.

Top Bottom