• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psn Account hijacked! (Update: 6 months later, a winner is you!)

hodgy100

Hey more of a PSA than anything but my psn account got hijacked yesterday. They bought gta5 on my account and then changed the log in details. I didn't notice this had happened till today, at which point £500 had already left my account! All on psn games by the looks of it. I've just got off the phone to my bank and cancelled my card to prevent any more charges. Tomorrow I'm going to call Sony and get my account back using the three serial numbers. I have for my ps3 ps4 and vita, but I have no idea how Sony handle refunds as I had better get this money back.

What are peoples experiences with this sort of thing? And yeah, watch your accounts guys!

UPDATE:

Hi Hodgy,

Thanks for your recent contact regarding your Sony Entertainment Network (SEN) account.

I understand from our contact that you did not recognise some transactions on your account, and you reported these transactions as unauthorised. As these transactions were made via our online webstore, we're unable to take action against any consoles for processing this purchase. We will however investigate any devices involved where possible and take action where appropriate, however we will be unable to share details of this.

Unfortunately, as the account holder you are responsible for all use of your SEN account, including all purchases, and agree to pay for all orders placed using your SEN account. For this reason, we cannot offer a refund for these transactions - this is outlined in our Terms of Service.

As PlayStation Network has not been compromised, I can assure you that any information stored on our servers is secure. We would highly recommend that you change your account password to re-secure your account. The billing details have already been removed from your account.

For your reference, our Terms of Service can be found here.

I hope this helps, but if you have any other questions please contact PlayStation Support using the contact details below or by replying to this e-mail. Quote reference 141127-005538 and one of our team will be happy to help.

Thank you,

Called them up too guy said my only option is to get my bank to do a chargeback which will probably lead to my account being banned and maybe my consoles too.

Looks like I'm seeking legal action I cant let £598 slide :/

UPDATE2:

Good News Everyone!

I got my money back! its ridiculous that it took 6 months to get it sorted however...

Brannon

No experience in that for me, I never keep CC details on my accounts and always use cards or codes. A bit of a hassle, but it beats losing 500 bones goddamn man.

Mistah

Hey more of a PSA than anything but my psn account got hijacked yesterday. They bought gta5 on my account and then changed the log in details. I didn't notice this had happened till today, at which point £500 had already left my account! All on psn games by the looks of it. I've just got off the phone to my bank and cancelled my card to prevent any more charges. Tomorrow I'm going to call Sony and get my account back using the three serial numbers. I have for my ps3 ps4 and vita, but I have no idea how Sony handle refunds as I had better get this money back.

What are peoples experiences with this sort of thing? And yeah, watch your accounts guys!

Good luck getting anything from them back. They will just ban your account and that's probably it.

Derpyduck

Banned
After the PSN fiasco years ago, why would anyone use anything but prepay credit on consoles? Especially on a Sony console.

cjp

Did they get into your email too?

If not, excluding a breach on Sony's side, you must have reused a password that was obtained from a different compromised website or you got phished.

Good luck sorting it out though. I guess you're in the UK. PS support here is terrible.

halfbeast

Banned
one of the reasons I'm only using PSN cards. (the other one is, I don't have a US cc)

but that sucks, OP. any chance you might get your money and/or account back?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
You're in the UK, based on the New Distance Selling cosumer protection law you're pretty safe.

Don't do a charge back, but do contact Sony.

riotous

Banned
After the PSN fiasco years ago, why would anyone use anything but prepay credit on consoles? Especially on a Sony console.

Because I get loads of rewards on my credit card, and consumer protection.. no liability if I report a fraudulent charge.

The OP likely had his account hijaked due to an unrelated e-mail / password DB.

People don't really understand that most "hacks" of accounts.. aren't hacks.. they are just using a password that becomes known.

Hardly anyone will admit to it.. research suggests most people use the same password everywhere.. strange how nobody on the internet is actually doing it!

legacyzero

Banned
Have Sony said anything about this at all?

Also, removing my CC.

EDIT: Their account settings website wont even load for me. Sony, you are not doing very well with Playstation Network. I know you aint "Bulletproof" and all that shit, but damn man, make an effort.

And why are people only now saying 'I'm going to remove my CC', 'I just wiped my card'.

Did you lot not think that hacking/phishing/malware existed until now or something?

That attitude shouldn't just lay with PSN either, never store your card details on anything.

Derpyduck

Banned
Because I get loads of rewards on my credit card, and consumer protection.. no liability if I report a fraudulent charge.

The OP likely had his account hijaked due to an unrelated e-mail / password DB.

People don't really understand that most "hacks" of accounts.. aren't hacks.. they are just using a password that becomes known.

Hardly anyone will admit to it.. research suggests most people use the same password everywhere.. strange how nobody on the internet is actually doing it!
So buy the prepaid credit with that credit card?

Then don't use your credit card at stores.. certainly don't hand them over to waiters/waitresses.

Don't put your DEBIT CARD into anything.

Credit cards offer protections... use them without much worry, just monitor your transactions.
I'm not saying don't use your card. I'm saying don't store it where storing is offered.

Use your card by all means but if a website or service says 'hey wanna store this to save time', don't tick it. And if it does it automatically but has the option to remove - remove it.

Then you won't need to go through the hassles of getting it back through protections the card has.

Derpyduck

Banned
Upside of only using prepaid credit is you avoid your card getting charged if account is compromised, but it also allows you to lie about your home address, which has obvious tax benefits.

GnawtyDog

Banned
How did you lose it? Did you give away your info? Use the same password on another service that got compromised?

This.
------------------------------
I feel for you OP. I've never had anything of this sort happen to me ever - but the thought of it scares the crap out of me. I have notifications in practically all of my accounts that go to two of my e-mails, "strong passwords" (password check-ins before purchase) etc. I like to think that has been the main reason nothing has happened to me to date.

Also, my "modem/router" has strong password protection - not that it matters for those in-the known(they can still hack my network) but it deters the wannabe's with partial knowledge looking for a quick swipe. It's a matter of not making myself, an unknown, an easy target.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
This is why I use low credit debit card for online stuff only. If they want, they can waste those 10 € on my account.

FeiRR

Banned
Then don't use your credit card at stores.. certainly don't hand them over to waiters/waitresses.

Don't put your DEBIT CARD into anything.

Credit cards offer protections... use them without much worry, just monitor your transactions.
I had my CC copied in a chain store by a cashier operator. I was standing right next to her and the terminal looked like any other. Luckily, they copied only the card and didn't know the PIN so they couldn't take any money out. My bank warned me and replaced the card. Since then I always put limits on my cards.

My Password has been the same and my Credit Card(changed only because of expiration) since the launch of the PS3 and I haven't had one problem.

Reedirect

EXACTLY the same thing happened to me this year and the guy who did it also bought GTA V. Thankfully I've noticed it before he could do any more damage. Changed my password, cancelled my credit card, the bank cancelled the transaction and gave me all my money back. What I didn't know was, that Sony would classify this as a "fraud attempt" and would ban my account.

The weirdest thing is, that the Sony customer service didn't really know what to do with this, so the guy told me over the phone that I should buy one of those prepaid cards for PSN for 60 dollars, send him the codes and that would cancel out my "debt" (he used this word so many times that I got incredibly annoyed). I thought that that was very shady, so the bank took all responsibilities in resolving this by contacting Sony. Of course, they wouldn't budge, so my account is now stuck in an endless bureaucratic limbo.

My Password has been the same and my Credit Card(changed only because of expiration) since the launch of the PS3 and I haven't had one problem.
allot of people on PS3 and PS4 who gameshare end up having issues like this happen. I am curious to know if he ever gameshared with anyone in the passed. That would require you to give another person your sign in information.

EXACTLY the same thing happened to me this year and the guy who did it also bought GTA V. Thankfully I've noticed it before he could do any more damage. Changed my password, cancelled my credit card, the bank cancelled the transaction and gave me all my money back. What I didn't know was, that Sony would classify this as a "fraud attempt" and would ban my account.

The weirdest thing is, that the Sony customer service didn't really know what to do with this, so the guy told me over the phone that I should buy one of those prepaid cards for PSN for 60 dollars, send him the codes and that would cancel out my "debt" (he used this word so many times that I got incredibly annoyed). I thought that that was very shady, so the bank took all responsibilities in resolving this by contacting Sony. Of course, they wouldn't budge, so my account is now stuck in an endless bureaucratic limbo.

Sony banned your account?

Have you got it back?

Top Bottom