• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade in stock at many Gamestops for $90. Was it reprinted? Who knows!

Turns out that quite a large number of Gamestop stores have Xenoblade back in stock and people who ordered it online have received like new copies with Club Nintendo codes still unused. Of course, this could very well be distribution of extra stock, but I get the feeling that it's most likely a reprint. GameStop is notorious for selling newly reprinted games as used so they can charge a higher price, as shown with Digital Devil Saga, Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne, Xenosaga III, Fatal Frame, Dokapon Kingdom, and Gitaroo Man.

Check local availability here. Still despicably selling for $90 but you can take off quite a bit with coupons floating around. There's also a B2G1 on Wii games, so if your store has something like Metroid Prime Trilogy or Dragonball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3, it might be worth it.

EDIT: Also, Xenoblade is now listed on Gamestop's front page and they apparently added a lot of new information to the game's product page, including character bios that weren't previously there.

Here's a cached page from July 25th and their current page.

That's a lot of work to update a page for a game that's been out of print for a while now...

It also looks like many of the copies being distributed at Gamestop have different cases, which provide more evidence of a reprint. The one with the "Wii" stamp was bought at launch while the one with the Nintendo logo was purchased today. If any of you are Wii U owners, you may recognize that the Nintendo logo is also at the top of current Wii U cases.

nXzwroGl.jpg

Drago

So Gamestop got a bunch of new copies of the game to sell and are instead gutting copies and selling used for $90?

What the fuck

Well, that would be typical, selling new games opened, and at mark up to boot.

Please reprint Metroid Prime Trilogy
!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So Gamestop got a bunch of new copies of the game to sell and are instead gutting copies and selling used for $90?

What the fuck
Oh don't worry, they aren't gutted in the slightest. They are just marking up the price to $90 by saying it is "used"

GameE

This is some disgusting shit
Should be $50 and no more
Instead they're calling them preowned and charging $90 :\

entremet

I won't support GS's practices. I guess I'll never play the game. I ain't playing 90 bucks for a used game.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Well, that would be typical, selling new games opened, and at mark up to boot.

Please reprint Metroid Prime Trilogy
!

The funnies thing is Prime Trilogy was a commercial flop and a lot of stores actually had to clearance out their copies.

Terra_Ex

I'm sure I remember reading on GAF that gamestop was buying back copies of Xenoblade for about half this price a few months ago. Seems the end goal was to sell them again at double the price.

Balb

Turns out that quite a large number of Gamestop stores have Xenoblade back in stock and people who ordered it online have received like new copies with Club Nintendo codes still unused. Most likely a reprint like GS has done with tons of other harder to find games.

Check local availability here. Still despicably selling for $90 but you can take off quite a bit with coupons floating around. There's also a B2G1 on Wii games, so if your store has something like Metroid Prime Trilogy or Dragonball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3, it might be worth it.

Such as?

Reprinted? But it says it's preowned?

Yeah, they've done this a few times in the past. Back when the SMTs were still super hard to find, they got a reprint of quite a few of the games and sold them as used. You could tell that they were practically new but opened.

The unused Club Nintendo codes in many of these copies say a lot.

Permanently A

Are you sure they're reprinted? I assumed they were the product of that big trade-in promotion where they sharked rare games like Metroid Prime Trilogy and Xenoblade.

kswiston

Yeah, they've done this a few times in the past. Back when the SMTs were still super hard to find, they got a reprint of quite a few of the games and sold them as used. You could tell that they were practically new but opened.

The unused Club Nintendo codes in many of these copies say a lot.

Not really. About half of the used Nintendo games I buy still have unclaimed Club Nintendo codes.

In the case of the SMT games, Amazon also received the new printing (and sold their copies at a reasonable price).

If you traded in Metroid Prime Trilogy or Xenoblade for $50 (or even less than that if it was trade in two games) you didn't deserve to have them in the first place and rightfully got hustled.

RedBoot

Yeah, I remember seeing clearly new copies of Persona 2 Eternal Punishment and (I think) Rhapsody marked as used back in the day. They had gotten a reprint as well.

Of course, Gamestop was selling them for just $30 or so, which was fair. Not like this.

Not really. About half of the used Nintendo games I buy still have unclaimed Club Nintendo codes.

In the case of the SMT games, Amazon also received the new printing (and sold their copies at a reasonable price).

Potentially. I do believe that the type of person who pays $70+ for a used copy of a retailer-exclusive late-release Wii RPG is a little different than the typical buyer of NSMB or Luigi's Mansion. Of course, that's just an assumption on my part.

Even with the SMT games (which weren't GS exclusive like Xenoblade), they received their stock of the new printings considerably later than outlets like Gamestop and Play-Asia.

So I really doubt that these copies are from that trade-in deal that got posted on GAF. Those types of deals are constantly ongoing and there's just way too much stock at this point to be from something like that. This matches many reprints that GS has done in the past, sadly.

Sez

I don't understand very well.

Gamestop got new copies, but they opened to be able to sell it as used for 90 bucks?

Does this mean that, according to that site, this many Gamestop stores within a 20 mile radius of my home have at least one copy?

I think this is a glitch lol. All the Gamestops here supposedly have "low stock" too. And I live in Podunk.
Either that or they reprinted or obtained enough to send every Gamestop just one.

scitek

I don't understand very well.

Gamestop got new copies, but they opened to be able to sell it as used for 90 bucks?

I think to some people it just seems fishy that they suddenly have so many copies of a "rare" game, so rare that it's selling for $90 used. If they did get new copies, they'd have to sell them for $60, so opening them would net them an extra $30 per copy sold.

I think this is a glitch lol. All the Gamestops here supposedly have "low stock" too. And I live in Podunk.
Either that or they reprinted or obtained enough to send every Gamestop just one.

I don't know. A friend pointed out to me about four days ago that every store near my hometown (near northeastern TN) suddenly had copies in, but no stores around where I currently live had any. Now it looks like many more stores have them, so this didn't happen all at once. GS.com has had copies readily available for the past week, as well.

I haven't checked any stores around me personally yet, though, so, you're right, it could always be a glitch. I doubt it, though.

Yawnier

Banned
I missed out on buying this game when a local pawn shop had a copy going for $30 that sold very quickly. Damn, I should have bought it!

Sendou

I cant for the life of me understand why Nintendo works with this company.

WTF.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't GameStop the biggest gaming focused retailer in the US? Nintendo has to do deals like this because it helps them to gain visibility that matters. With a product like Wii U they need everything (and all shelf space) they can get.

Top Bottom