• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: 3DS to get right analog stick dongle, relaunch 2012 w/ new name [Updated]

lucius

Lol, this can't be true, I mean it would be better for them long term but it would be like admitting the system was crap at launch.

This is one of the worst rumours I have ever heard. The picture of the nub on the bottom right almost makes me think it's a parody of some sort.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
AbsoluteZero said:
Getting a little tired of the circlejerking over dual analog. The PSP did fine for 6 years with only one analog nub, the DS did fine for 7 years with no analog whatsoever, and iOS is thriving with no physical input at all.

3d games played horribly on them. My PSP and DS were pretty much strictly 2D.

Coolwhip

Banned
Cool if true. I have zero interest in the 3DS. But if they drop the 3D and add a second analogue stick my interest certainly goes up.

Grover Cleveland said:
Obligatory Michael Jordan laughing gif.

This rumor is probably as accurate as thinking Sony-Microsoft.com meant XStation 4-720.
What did that end up amounting to anyway? Legendary thread, that.

This rumor sounds crazy enough to be true. No one could have foreseen a price drop to $170, so you know Nintendo means business regarding re-positioning 3DS in the public perception.

Boney

Banned
Hyuga said:
lmao!

3DS, "without" the 3D feature..... selling the handheld with its 2D features alone.....????
lmao part II

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhht!!!!! Don't make "them" angry here @Neogaf!
Oh... you're still being patronizing steve... keep fighting the good war

Hyuga said:
The 3DS without its "gimmick" is nothing! Sorry, but.... well, sorry!
Except for you know.. the library it amasses.

What's with your schoolyard attitude.

ShockingAlberto said:
Andrex knew exactly what he was doing when he made this thread.
Yep.

Cruzader

Banned
Wow Nintendo copying Sony again? Cmon dude lulz.

Also if they relaunched a 3ds with a new name and second analog stick, this would be the first failed Nintendo handheld since the new device wouldn't carry the name etc. and let the 3ds die off?

Man Nintendo better get their shit together.

Busaiku

They're already taking big losses on it now.
I don't see Nintendo losing even more money this soon.

Also and Analog Dongle is the most ridiculous accessory I'd ever heard of.
Even more than those crazy Wii controllers that Nintendo has patents for.

Futureman

Where did the Andrex part about it being for internal use only come from?

Is it possible they are getting confused w/ Nintendo toying around with a movable circle pad? One of the Iwata Asks had a brief mention of allowing the user to switch the circle pad around to different locations.

Considering this site's reputation in the past year, this is probably coming from real sources, but that doesn't mean anything really. It could just be some idea on the drawing board that will never happen.

PowderedToast

is a clip-on analogue even possible? i know next to nothing about this subject but surely it has to be wired to the components of the machine or something. you can't clip on that function.

Sylver

Banned
Billychu said:
They should if they're smart.
Yep, well it's just a rumor and Vita not even come out but this remind me to first xbox situations with their suicide packs... I can't remember Nintendo so nervous. What will be the next? Region free? Let's hope.

Emitan

"The 3DS without its "gimmick" is nothing! Sorry, but.... well, sorry!"

Did the DS not exist to you or something?

PowderedToast said:
is a clip-on analogue even possible? i know next to nothing about this subject but surely it has to be wired to the components of the machine or something. you can't clip on that function.

There's no port that it can plug in to.
Theoretically, they could do it through WiFi... but I just don't see that happening.

V_Ben said:
Whoa, that would be completely crazy. Also, f*cking INSANE.

I can't believe that they didn't make a system with two to begin with. The PSP got criticised to hell and back for only having one nub. If Nintendo really do want to maintain the support of Kojima, the FPS guys etc, then it was a silly move to launch with only one nub.

I mean when Sony busted out Ken Levine at E3 who announced an exclusive Vita game, that was pretty telling that there are a lot of developers out there, particularly western developers who want two analog sticks. Whenever Vita has been brought up in conversation with Ken, he has always, ALWAYS, spoke about how great Vita is for having two analog sticks.

I don't see this happening personally. Though I am wondering what the revision will have to make it different to the vanilla 3DS. Maybe they'll do a 3DS XL.

Do we know how much 3rd party developer input Nintendo looked for with the 3DS design? We know Sony went in heavy on developer input.

Tuck

Delio said:
I will say though that if Nintendo comes out E3 next year with a new 3Ds with a second stick i will scream and just wonder what the fuck they are thinking.

To be fair, I don't think they are thinking. The entire history of the 3DS seems very rushed and full of bad decisions.

I don't think there will be a second stick, but honestly, I wouldn't doubt them to keep making mistakes as they try to fix their old ones.

They shouldn't have rushed the 3DS.

Has anybody mentioned that the new system could function like the 3DS prototypes, which had buttons you could rearrange yourself. I thought that was pretty nifty in the iwata asks article.

Sylver said:
Yep, well it's just a rumor and Vita not even come out but this remind me to first xbox situations with their suicide packs... I can't remember Nintendo so nervous. What will be the next? Region free? Let's hope.

I'm not really seeing anything indicative of Nintendo being nervous, let alone as much as you make it out to be.

Hylian7

Smells like bullshit to me. I thought Nintendo learned it's lesson about extra required peripherals. Remember the GBA-GCN cable? Sure it worked, but it wasn't exactly successful.

Futureman

AmICoolYet said:
Has anybody mentioned that the new system could function like the 3DS prototypes, which had buttons you could rearrange yourself. I thought that was pretty nifty in the iwata asks article.

I just did.

Here's the image:

img002.jpg

BurntPork

Banned
AceBandage said:
Never change, BP.
I forgot to include that it's why I don't believe it. This move would really hurt consumer faith in Nintendo, and everyone with any sense will wait for a revision before buying their hardware no matter how good it is from the start. They are not in a position to make stupid add-ons like this. What they should take from this is simply to get it right the first time. By the time this new version is announced, well over 10 million 3DS's will have been sold. If Iwata is going to allow that many people to be screwed over, he shouldn't be in the position he's in now. Where did all of that R&D go?

The 3DS revision can have a different name, a different design, and better battery life. However, anything more than that is going to need to be announced alongside 20 or so AAA games if they don't want to deal with both their fanbase and their stock price being cut in half. Look at the way the article phrases it. They realized that it was a mistake after production started. That's bullshit. If that's true, then Nintendo isn't nearly organized nor forward-thinking enough to be a hardware manufacturer. What if they make a mistake like that with Wii U or any future system? I want Nintendo to prosper, and for that the people in charge need to know what the fuck they're doing and to pay attention to what's going on in the market. If this is true, where the fuck did all of that R&D money go?

daffy

Banned
1314023264-3ds-joystick.jpg

:lol, come on GAF.

même si cela suppose un surcoût de 10 dollars par console et une incompatibilité de fait (voire un compromis inférieur) avec le parc actuel de machines.
oh for pete's sake.

Reallink

Boy early adopters triple fucked if this turns out. $250 + Old Design + Some Shitty Uncomfortable Frankenstein Analog Attachment. What's next, 3DS Captivate (with capacitive screen)?

Zabka

I don't believe this for a second, but Nintendo's been weird about inputs on their portable systems for a while.

GBA - Adds shoulder buttons, should have two more face buttons to match SNES
DS - Added two face buttons, should have analog stick to match N64
3DS - Added analog stick, should have second analog stick to match every other system out there

Not that they actually needed these things to be successful, but it would have been nice.

Delio

Tuck said:
To be fair, I don't think they are thinking. The entire history of the 3DS seems very rushed and full of bad decisions.

I don't think there will be a second stick, but honestly, I wouldn't doubt them to keep making mistakes as they try to fix their old ones.

They shouldn't have rushed the 3DS.

tbh i dont really trust this rumor at all. It's a bunch of FUD for hits but we gotta have our super negative 3DS thread every day on gaf so :O

AceBandage said:
There's no port that it can plug in to.

A/C ? I dunno if that could be made to work.

If they did do this, it would be something of another consolation option to people who bought the early model. Instead of having to buy a second model to play half the new games, you can plug this thing in instead!

Top Bottom