• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official (WW) Super Mario Galaxy Thread of Reunions, Forgiveness and Love

Amir0x

Banned
SuperMarioGalaxyTopic.jpg

___________________________________________________________________________________

FOREWORD
___________________________________________________________________________________

There's no way to satisfactorily cover everything that has been presented so far for this game, and in truth I don't want to. For many, this game is going to be one discovery after another and as much as I can follow this rule I will. Yes, Mario isn't about story - it's about experiences. So let's try to spoiler tag every detail we can that isn't immediately obvious to those who like Mario.

So, this won't be my typically exhausting summary of everything related to the title... it'll have some good links for those who want it, and presumably fifty nine pages of everyone masturbating to the wonderment of Mario Galaxy.

GENERAL INFO

SupermarioGalaxyTopicPic3.jpg

Release Dates:
Japan - November 1
North America - November 12
Europe - November 16
Australia - November 29
Super Mario Galaxy Creator Diaries: Volumes 1~3 (Translated: Vol 1)
BUY: Amazon @ $49.99
WHAT IS IT ABOUT?

Wikipedia said:
Most of the game is set in outer space along a vast chain of miniature planetoids and other space matter. Mario is capable of jumping or launching from planet to planet in order to gather items and defeat enemies.[citation needed] Gravity plays a significant role in the game, as each planet has a gravitational force that prevents Mario from drifting off into space, which allows the player to effortlessly circumnavigate rounded objects. The varying degrees of gravity also have an effect on Mario's ability to jump, and is used to pull Mario towards certain planetoids while in mid-flight. Like previous 3D Mario games, the main objective is to collect Stars, which are awarded by completing tasks or defeating enemies. The game will have six themed areas, 40 galaxies, and 120 stars to collect. [6]

As in every 3D Mario game, Mario’s health consists of a power meter, which causes Mario to lose a life if it reaches zero. When the game starts, Mario begins with a power meter made of three sections. Mario has a second and separate health meter that designates his air supply when swimming underwater; if it is empty Mario will drown. The bottomless pits featured in previous Mario games which cause Mario to lose a life when fallen in have been replaced by black holes, which are stationed beneath the surfaces of certain planets and peppered throughout outside space.

MEDIA/REVIEWS

SuperMarioGalaxyTopicPic4.jpg

SupermarioGalaxyTopicPic2.jpg

SupermarioGalaxyTopicPic1.jpg

MORE IMAGES: Many More
VIDEOS: Click (More clips at the website)
ORCHESTRATED MUSIC SAMPLES: Egg Galaxy Theme, ? Galaxy Theme (Thanks to Wii for ripping them)

CONCLUSION

Is there more to say? Absolutely! So much more, but you guys can fill in the blanks. The lucky Japanese get this game in exactly two weeks now, so the hype must blow into FINAL GEAR. Go Go Go.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I'm hyped. Day 1, etc. etc.

Everytime I just think about Galaxy a smile comes across my face.

Can't wait.

Grecco

Wow i cant beleive its only two weeks till japanese launch. Seeing it at E3 it felt like ages.

Cant wait :)

It's so strange to be in a position where I curse the Japanese for getting something early. We've been spoilt lately.

I haven't wanted a game more than I've wanted Galaxy for years.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
You guys think they'll advertise this game?

Masenkame

Those screens look great. I was hyped during E3 2006, but after that my interest dropped. But damn, it looks like it's going to be amazing. Now that Smash is out of the way, I can concentrate on this baby.

EDIT:Holy shit, November 12? I thought it was out in December!

I know I'm a freak of nature, but I'm just not that hyped for this game.

I know I'll eventually buy it, and I know I'll absolutely love it and not be able to put it down for days when I get it, much like I did with both 64 and Sunshine (YEAH I WENT THERE), but I'm not that stoked by its release. What is wrong with me, GAF?

dkeane

I just hope to beat Zack and Wiki before this comes out. This will be my personal game of the year. Looks so freakin' amazing.

MrDaravon

There's also going to be a hardcover collector's edition guide for those of us who are whores for that kind of thing, like me :(

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
ninj4junpei said:
They damn well better. It can't honestly be that hard, just show the game for 30 seconds and they are done.
Aren't they still looking for a new ad agency, though? Isn't Leo Burnett bye-bye?

With all due respect, this is a rather weak official thread and fails to hype-up the non-believers. Wikipedia? wtf. That said, this is the game that brings many of us back to better times.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Trip Warhawkins said:
With all due respect, this is a rather weak official thread and fails to hype-up the non-believers. Wikipedia? wtf. That said, this is the game that brings many of us back to better times.

I think he's trying a less is more approach..as in we must supply the awesomeness.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Happy as Larry that I put this game on media block-out. Now I just have to do it for another month or so for PAL release :(

Amir0x

Banned
It's by the numbers, i know, but there was no way i could make a thread to adequately live up to the awesome this game is going to be. Usually, my threads are exhaustive... but here everyone knows what to expect, they've probably followed it as extensively as me, and the content will be supplied by the fevered anticipation of its fans :D

Armitage

I don't have a TV right now but I'm buying one for SMG.

resident-evil-4-20040818025735767.jpg

Bless us with the holy light of Mario.

I am pretty sure that this game is going to be one of those single player games I'll play regularly years from now. Even if the gameplay stinks, which it won't, I'd play it just to immerse myself in the soundtrack.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Amir0x said:
It's by the numbers, i know, but there was no way i could make a thread to adequately live up to the awesome this game is going to be. Usually, my threads are exhaustive... but here everyone knows what to expect, they've probably followed it as extensively as me, and the content will be supplied by the fevered anticipation of its fans :D

You just wanted to make sure you were first, admit it

Amir0x

Banned
Darunia said:
You just wanted to make sure you were first, admit it

oh no. I actually had made a thread for this a few weeks back in notepad that was, jesus, something like i don't know had like 80 images or something and an exhaustive breakdown of power ups and i was gonna post that, but i looked at it all and was just like 'everyone knows this stuff, it's just gonna look bloated on the first page and so let's go with a simple approach.'

Everyone knows I do not take shortcuts for these threads.

Gahiggidy

How far in advance did Microsoft start advertising halo 3?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Amir0x said:
oh no. I actually had made a thread for this a few weeks back in notepad that was, jesus, something like i don't know had like 80 images or something and an exhaustive breakdown of power ups and i was gonna post that, but i looked at it all and was just like 'everyone knows this stuff, it's just gonna look bloated on the first page and so let's go with a simple approach.'

Everyone knows I do not take shortcuts for these threads.

You know, I'm actually glad you went for this approach. The less media posted, the more you can discover yourself. The game really doesn't need tons of screens because we all know how awesome it looks, like you said. Also I don't like my OP's to be superlong tbh. Facts rundown, some media, review links,... All I need.

but I do suspect that Alkaline had that long wordpad doc too... and will be crying when he sees this :p

I think Alkaliine was making a thread for this. Wanted to see how it looks like. Maybe he can PM Amir0x to add his stuff to the OP.

Odinson

Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait! The beauty, the music, the nostalgia and freshness! Nov 12 can't come soon enough.

Any J-Gaffers know what kind of buzz is surrounding this game in Japan? Has the marketing machine started rolling - any posters or commercials to speak of?

pswii60

I can't believe the amount of detail and variety Nintendo are filling this game with! Every video reveals something completely new.

How long is this game supposed to be? I probably won't want it to end.

Top Bottom