• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My one-year old son was bit by a pit bull last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff-DSA

But they're so sweet. It's the owners not the dogs. Stories about them are just all part of media bias.

Screw this breed. It happened over at my father-in-law's house last night down in California. I'm at home in Utah, and my wife called to let me know. The dog was totally unprovoked. It just bit my kid and left a puncture in his skull on the top of his head and a puncture near his eye. Both punctures have been bleeding off and on still throughout today.

I'd put the dog down, but they're not going to. Good thing I'm here though, because I would have slit the piece of trash dog's throat. I'm so pissed off right now I can barely thing straight, but if I do have one clear thought, it's that these dogs are unnecessary and shouldn't be around. This is the third time in my life now that someone close to me has been injured by an unprovoked attack by a pit bull that was hailed as being so sweet and loving right up until the moment they attacked.

This could have been much worse, but luckily people were able to intervene. With my wife in the room I don't know how that dog survived, but somehow she refrained from tearing it to pieces. Maybe the blood pouring down our kid's face distracted her. That was probably the reason.

Fedelias

Aww hope your kid gets better. I'm assuming you brought him/her to a hospital? Also yea, pit-bulls are a feisty bunch. Should be supervised at all times around young kids.

Aww hope your kid gets better. I'm assuming you brought him/her to a hospital?

This. Dog bites aren't anything to be fucking around with, most of the damage is under the surface, and has a high risk of infection.

Also, bites can and will happen with any dog that isn't properly trained and cared for. The breed is no different from any other dog.

But they're so sweet. It's the owners not the dogs. Stories about them are just all part of media bias.

Screw this breed. It happened over at my father-in-law's house last night down in California. I'm at home in Utah, and my wife called to let me know. The dog was totally unprovoked. It just bit my kid and left a puncture in his skull on the top of his head and a puncture near his eye. Both punctures have been bleeding off and on still throughout today.

I'd put the dog down, but they're not going to. Good thing I'm here though, because I would have slit the piece of trash dog's throat. I'm so pissed off right now I can barely thing straight, but if I do have one clear thought, it's that these dogs are unnecessary and shouldn't be around. This is the third time in my life now that someone close to me has been injured by an unprovoked attack by a pit bull that was hailed as being so sweet and loving right up until the moment they attacked.

This could have been much worse, but luckily people were able to intervene. With my wife in the room I don't know how that dog survived, but somehow she refrained from tearing it to pieces. Maybe the blood pouring down our kid's face distracted her. That was probably the reason.

I'm sorry for what happened, and while I'm really not a fan of the breed (i think they look fucking ugly) but I've been around dog owners and trainers for a while now, and shit like that happens with all dog breeds.
Have you been to a doctor with your son? Dog bites can lead to nasty infections.

No Love

Banned
Put the damn thing down, sounds like a vicious piece of shit. Who thought it'd be a good idea to let it around little kids?

Concept17

Very sorry to hear about your kid, man. That's frightening.

I would feel exactly the same as you. My wife and kids were recently walking back from my daughter's school the other day when a big dog (not a pit bull afaik), came running at them snarling and barking. My wife, with the help of someone in their car, got him to run off. If I had been there and the dog attacked... fuckin hell.

plasmasd

I wouldn't trust any dog/cat near an infant. I'd be exceedingly careful even around the tamest pitbull.

Not the dogs fault for being a dog.

My sister has a 10lb rat terrier that especially hates babies and will nip. Its the duty of the owner of the dog to keep it away from the defenseless, and the job of the parent/guardian to keep their child out of dangerous situations.

Guess Who

Banned
A few years ago someone let their pit bulls out and they ended up in my family's yard and pretty much devoured our cat. Fuck pit bulls.

hope the kid gets better soon OP.

I know you are in the heat of the moment and understand your anger but let's not forget it was humans who made the breed to be fighters and the way they are today. Too bad we can't put down the humans that started it all in the beginning.

I'm sorry about your son, but this is not the dog's fault. Sorry. No breed would just go up to a small child and take a bite out of their skull unless provoked somehow. I've seen how small children act around dogs before, and honestly it's a miracle more aren't bitten.

Also, please tell me why a one year old boy was on the floor with a dog, that wasn't your own, nearby?

akira28

You seem so angry at the dog. But it was a one year old in biting distance of a strong dog...

um...really? These dogs run, they jump over fences, they slip through gates. You're really blaming the kid or the parent just to avoid blaming the dog?

Damn, it sucks when kids get involved, they might end up traumatized. Hope everything works out on that end.

But yeah, i'm glad we have people calling it as it is. Pitbulls and their variants were bred for fighting bears and then each other. Even though Pitbulls score pretty well on temperment tests and are normally found to be pretty much just like any other dog, there is no doubt that once that switch is flipped they revert back to being vicious and ruthless bastards. Pitbulls should be banned flat out. When was the last time you heard of a golden retriever going full retard and tearing up an orphanage?

A lot of dogs are weird around babies. They don't know what it is and get antsy.

Unfortunately yeah. Biting often is a "snap" reaction (no pun intended) to stress, and with toddlers and kids it's even more dangerous since they're on eye level or close so the inhibition to attack is less.

Kids and dogs are always to be monitored regardless of breed or previous behaviour.

Sorry to hear that man D:

Both punctures have been bleeding off and on still throughout today.

Did you actually take your son to the hospital? If not, you should probably do that pretty soon. Dog bites can be pretty bad, even more-so if infected.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Thats tough to think about. I used to freak out when my niece would trip and fall on the carpet at 1 year old, let alone any serious injury.

That being said, letting an infant near and sort big dog that has any sort of chance of being aggressive is fucking crazy.

You cant blame an animal for being an animal. Its why it never surprises me when elephant trainers get trampled over and killed. Or how that tiger mauled than magician.

I agree, they are fuckers and I honestly don't like them, or every fucking owner on Facebook that has to post Pro-Don't blame the dog-Pitbull pics every day. 1 out of every 100 owner is a lover of the breed the other 99 are dicks that want a "bad ass dog". Lets be honest the breed is just over mated, for every Retriever or Shepard you see in a few block radius you'll see 100 Pits acting like assholes barking at you from a yard or a douche bag attempting to walk them and look "hard"

But yeah, any dog can be a dick. My kid got bit on the face by a Lab when he was 4. But to be honest that dog had hip surgery weeks before and my son laid on his bad side.
A Pit tho...Ive seen them snap, heard of them snapping, and know a huge majority of owners are the are usually the least responsible pet owners.
They most mostly don't own these dogs for the love of the breed but do it to be/look tough.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
um...really? These dogs run, they jump over fences, they slip through gates. You're really blaming the kid or the parent just to avoid blaming the dog?

I honestly don't give much of a fuck about a random dog. But if my one year old son was attacked by a dog, depending on the circumstances, it wouldn't be the dog I was livid at. I mean sure, if the dog burst through a plate glass window and snatched my one year old from my arms, I would mostly blame the dog.

Skeyser

Huh, that wasn't a random dog attack, the dog lived there. I don't have a pitbull, but whenever there's small kids in our house I put our dog in a closed room/outside.

Also I wouldn't blame neither the kid or parent, I'd blame the dog owner.

shira

OMG is it going to scar. . . Aww that sucks so bad. Why would a dog put a baby in its mouth.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
pro-pit bull crowd should really save their arguments for another thread and let this guy vent. It doesn't add anything to the thread. After all he's been through, he doesn't want to hear you try to change his perspective.

Best wishes to you and yours, OP.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
This. Dog bites aren't anything to be fucking around with, most of the damage is under the surface, and has a high risk of infection.

Also, bites can and will happen with any dog that isn't properly trained and cared for. The breed is no different from any other dog.

yes, but pit bulls were specifically bred to combine the physical dominance and aggression/speed of the bulldog and terrier.

I recall also reading that Pit bulls don't give off as many "warning signs" that humans would recognize as signs of agitation compared other dogs... basically we don't as easily recognize when a pit bull wants to be left alone or to be given some space.

Sort of like how people think hippos are "yawning" when they're actually baring their teeth at you and telling you to step the fuck off.

Anyways, that's not for this thread. OP, I hope your son pulls through this with no permanent damage (I assume he's at the hospital). And report this to the cops. That dog has to be put down.

Moff

I still have a huge scar on the inside of my arm because a dog ripped it open when I was 5 years old. nobody did anything back then, police said dogs are allowed to bite. my parents were furious. It happened out on a field in the middle of nowhere and I can be glad to be alive ar still have that arm, I guess.

I am not afraid of dogs anymore though, and I am glad they didnt kill it off. pitbulls are a quie emoitonal matter, but as far as I know the german shepherd has the highest bodycount, in europe at least they are very popular and unlike pit bulls no one considers them bad dogs. I just think everyone should be more aware around any kind of dog or animal, especially around kids. animals are unpredictable and people tend to forget that, I think thats the biggest problem.

I am just wanting confirmation that the OP took his kid to the hospital, though I doubt it since he said the dog wasn't in trouble, because any reported bite gets the dog in serious trouble.

Kid needs a doctor, OP, please do that ASAP.

3N16MA

Banned
I am just wanting confirmation that the OP took his kid to the hospital, though I doubt it since he said the dog wasn't in trouble, because any reported bite gets the dog in serious trouble.

Also wondering if he went to the hospital. The wound bleeding on and off does not sound good and no mention of it in the OP.

Not the dog's fault. Sorry.

I agree. Pitbulls were bred by humans to be vicious, evil, indifferent-to-suffering killing-machines. It's not his fault he was born a Pitbull, the deadliest breed of dog on the planet. Pitbulls were bred to be that way. Not his fault.

And you might think "Well, my pitbull is cool. or "if you treat them right, they won't attack."

You know who else was raised by humans to be nice and seems well-behaved? Lt. Worf. Everyone on The USS Enterprise knew he was a timebomb, and could snap at any time. At the end of the day, he's still a Klingon. And as such, if Commander Riker ever found him in a room covered in Keiko and Chief O'brien's baby's blood... well, that's what happens when you bring a vicious breed in. Anyway, I certainly wouldn't feel safe around TNG Worf, despite what Picard might say. (DS9 Worf, on the other hand, is a lot less angry.)

lol

Fedelias

Agreed, punctures that are bleeding throughout the day sound extremely serious.

I cannot even begin to think if that was to ever happen to my nephew. I would have killed the dog. Sorry dog lovers, but a pitbull biting a 1 year old wouldn't hold up with anyone, especially if it is your child or relative.

Uncledick

Banned
I hope everything turns out alright for your kid bud. I am curious though what your child was doing in close proximity to a dog like that. Did your wife put him on the ground momentarily to do something else? For myself I wouldn't let a small child be anywhere near a large breed like a pitbull, that tend to have temperament problems. I'm just curious of the circumstances.

Again, very sorry about your little guy/gal.

I hope everything turns out alright for your kid bud. I am curious though what your child was doing in close proximity to a dog like that. Did your wife put him on the ground momentarily to do something else. For myself I wouldn't let a small child be anywhere near a large breed like a pitbull, that tend to have temperament problems. I'm just curious of the circumstances.

Again, very sorry about your little guy/gal.

The basic rule is not to let small children around any dog. Kids don't know at that age that you shouldn't pull on a dogs ears or the like. Only incredibly well trained dogs should be allowed near kids that young, and even then, with extreme supervision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom