• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HMDI 2.1 - higher resolution, higher refreshrate, hello adaptive-sync and more

Caayn

Update 05-01-2017:
HDMI 2.1 overview page has gone up, here, including a QA section. Some of the highlights.

Q: What are the support resolutions and frame rates ?
  • 4K50/60
  • 4K100/120
  • 5K100/120
  • 8K50/60
  • 8K100/120
  • 10K50/60
  • 10K100/120
Q: What colorimetry is supported?
A: HDMI 2.1 Specification supports the latest color spaces including BT.2020 with 10, 12, and 16 bits per color component.

'Game Mode VRR said:
Q: Does this require the new HDMI cable?
A: No

Q: Will this work with 8K@60 or 4K@120Hz?
A: Yes if those features are implemented along with Higher Video Resolution. That will require the new 48G cable

Q: Is this primarily for consoles or will PCs utilize this also?
A: It can be used for both.

Q: Will this result in more gaming PCs connecting to HDMI displays, either monitors or TVs?
A: The intent of the feature is to enable HDMI technology to be used in these applications. Given that HDMI connectivity already has a strong presence in this area, we expect that use of HDMI technology in gaming will continue to grow.

Original post:
The new HDMI2.1 specification has just been announced and it contains some really good improvements over HDMI 2.0

• Higher Video Resolutions support a range of higher resolutions and faster refresh rates including 8K60Hz and 4K120Hz for immersive viewing and smooth fast-action detail.
  • Dynamic HDR ensures every moment of a video is displayed at its ideal values for depth, detail, brightness, contrast, and wider color gamuts-on a scene-by-scene or even a frame-by-frame basis.
  • 48G cables enable up to 48Gbps bandwidth for uncompressed HDMI 2.1 feature support including 8K video with HDR. The cable is backwards compatible with earlier versions of the HDMI Specification and can be used with existing HDMI devices.
  • eARC supports the most advanced audio formats such as object-based audio, and enables advanced audio signal control capabilities including device auto-detect.
  • Game Mode VRR features variable refresh rate, which enables a 3D graphics processor to display the image at the moment it is rendered for more fluid and better detailed gameplay, and for reducing or eliminating lag, stutter, and frame tearing.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...n-21-of-the-hdmi-specification-300384117.html
The new specification will be available to all HDMI 2.0 Adopters and they will be notified when it is released early in Q2 2017.
Should probably include this information in the OP to avoid confusion.

http://www.cepro.com/article/new_hdmi_2_1_specification_supports_8k60hz_with_hdr_4k120hz

Tobias adds, "How an individual piece of equipment will meet the 2.1 standard will depend on the manufacturer and the features. Some manufacturers may be able to achieve 2.1 compliance with just a firmware upgrade; others will require new hardware," he says.

http://www.hdmi.org/press/press_kit.aspx

Durante

Well, that's great.

Given the usual timing between HDMI spec announcements and actual implementation, I don't expect it to be fully supported before 2019 though.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Game Mode VRR features variable refresh rate, which enables a 3D graphics processor to display the image at the moment it is rendered for more fluid and better detailed gameplay, and for reducing or eliminating lag, stutter, and frame tearing.
AAAHHHHH!!! We in there!! So fucking hype right now.

Newboi

What?!!! Variable Refresh Rates!

Does this possible mean that PCs and next generation consoles (PS5, Xbox Two) will support this?

Cartho

Gah, this is making me not want to make the jump to 4k for a long time. Really thinking I might stick with 1080p for the rest of this gen and go 4k when PS5 comes out.

A.Romero

The new HDMI2.1 specification has just been announced and it contains some really good improvements over HDMI 2.0

• Higher Video Resolutions support a range of higher resolutions and faster refresh rates including 8K60Hz and 4K120Hz for immersive viewing and smooth fast-action detail.
  • Dynamic HDR ensures every moment of a video is displayed at its ideal values for depth, detail, brightness, contrast, and wider color gamuts-on a scene-by-scene or even a frame-by-frame basis.
  • 48G cables enable up to 48Gbps bandwidth for uncompressed HDMI 2.1 feature support including 8K video with HDR. The cable is backwards compatible with earlier versions of the HDMI Specification and can be used with existing HDMI devices.
  • eARC supports the most advanced audio formats such as object-based audio, and enables advanced audio signal control capabilities including device auto-detect.
  • Game Mode VRR features variable refresh rate, which enables a 3D graphics processor to display the image at the moment it is rendered for more fluid and better detailed gameplay, and for reducing or eliminating lag, stutter, and frame tearing.

http://www.hdmi.org/press/press_kit.aspx

I hope it takes some time to get into the market. I just upgraded my AV Receiver in preparation for a 4K TV.

Caayn

What?!!! Variable Refresh Rates!

Does this possible mean that PCs and next generation consoles (PS5, Xbox Two) will support this?
If they want to adhere to the HDMI 2.1 standard they'll most likely need to support it. The big news here is that Nvidia will now finally need to built-in support for adaptive-sync technologies other than their own proprietary g-sync version.

JP

Interesting. :)

Ah, it's CES this week isn't it? I completely forgot about it this year, I'd assume this will be "welcomed" by manufacturers this year even if it may be a year or two before it hits the high street.

Variable refresh rate support is awesome. Glad to see that in there.

When can we expect this to actually be implemented in televisions? I just bought a 4k TV a few months ago...

Cartho

Would games / consoles need to be specifically programmed to support adaptive V sync? I assume games would need patching to take advantage of it but could that work on, say, a PS4 OG? Or would the hardware itself need to be built to support it?

tuxfool

Banned
Is it based on adaptive sync?

AMD already supports Freesync over HDMI, Though I'm not aware of any TVs supporting it, just monitors. Maybe this will kickstart that.

Well, that's great.

Given the usual timing between HDMI spec announcements and actual implementation, I don't expect it to be fully supported before 2019 though.
I came to post almost this exact thing, also to rain on the parade a little more, you'll probably have to ditch the 4k receivers you may have already bought because they won't support this spec. :( (insert debbie downer here)

DieH@rd

Banned
AMD will be all over this new variable refresh rate standard. They already worked on it a bit for HDMI 2.0x. Nvidia on other hand... I expect again total silence from them.

When can we expect this to actually be implemented in televisions? I just bought a 4k TV a few months ago...

HDMI 2.1 requires new [faster] cable, and standard will be given to HDMI licensees in ~Q2 2017.

Old [2.0x] TVs will not support this new stuff.

Wollan

HOLY SHIT this standard has everything

433.jpg

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Well, that's great.

At this rate I might as well just wait for 8k TVs, lol.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Nice to see the stanard updated. Sad that I will have to wait years to update my hardware to support all this. No way I can budget for new monitors and/or TV for quite a while.

VRR is something has been a long time coming and desperately needed.

Ogawa-san

Kind of naive but I was hoping that, instead of a new HDMI revision, we'd see USB C taking over from there as a new standard. I mean, it's already capable of 8k@60Hz... in theory at least.

HDMI 2.1 requires new [faster] cable, and standard will be given to HDMI licensees in ~Q2 2017.

Old [2.0x] TVs will not support this new stuff.

Oh, I know. I'm saying I just bought a TV, yet this was just announced, so I'm wondering how far off this actually is.

BriGuy

Proving once again there's never a good time to buy a new TV. I almost jumped on an LG OLED65B6P when it went on sale last November, but in a rare moment of self control, I passed on it. Feeling pretty good about that decision now.

Durante

AMD will be all over this new variable refresh rate standard. They already worked on it a bit for HDMI 2.0x. Nvidia on other hand... I expect again total silence from them.
Nvidia will fully support an industry standard. There's no question about that.
(This is similar to how Nvidia fully supports Vulkan but did not support Mantle)

Heel

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...n-21-of-the-hdmi-specification-300384117.html

This latest HDMI Specification supports a range of Higher Video Resolutions and refresh rates including 8K60 and 4K120, Dynamic HDR, and increased bandwidth with a new 48G cable. Version 2.1 of the HDMI Specification is backward compatible with earlier versions of the Specification
The new specification will be available to all HDMI 2.0 Adopters and they will be notified when it is released early in Q2 2017.
Should probably include this information in the OP to avoid confusion.

Yoritomo

Digital cable quality already matters a lot with 4k 60hz 4:4:4 streams with runs over 15 feet or so.

This is more than a doubling of bandwidth with the HDMI spec. Will be interesting to see how cable quality affects it.

tuxfool

Banned
Nvidia will fully support an industry standard. There's no question about that.
(This is similar to how Nvidia fully supports Vulkan but did not support Mantle)

This is mostly BS on their part given that they implemented VRR with adaptive-sync on some laptops, then called it G-Sync.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Can we collectively fucking hammer Nvidia now to support VRR for HDMI 2.1?
Cause I'll make all the petitions if I have to! lol

Top Bottom