• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Ubisoft having some trouble bringing Steep to Switch

Justified

Kaelan

I knew it was in trouble, we haven't heard shit from this game
In a long time. Last time it was announced was when the switch was revealed

It would probably be more worth it to just do another collaboration and work with Nintendo to make another 1080° without some of the online aspects.

Use their experience of this port of what they can and cannot achieve on the platform.

nynt9

Maybe the hardware wasn't good enough for it. They probably initially thought they could make it work. The game is 900p30 on xbone so maybe switch can't handle it.

Atheerios

"including the game's online features"

So is it a problem related to the incomplete Switch online features or the system power?

Fat4all

Banned
They would still be facing the same way.

giphy.gif

ZOONAMI

Maybe the hardware wasn't good enough for it. They probably initially thought they could make it work. The game is 900p30 on xbone so maybe switch can't handle it.

I would think they should be able to pull of a 720 docked and a 360 portable.

Sizzel

So- I think a lot of these issues are hardware related and not so much that -"people are shunning the switch". I could be wrong. It could be a mix though. I work at a non-videogame software dev...we can pretty much do anything it is just a matter of how much it will cost and what kind of compromises are going to have to be made to get there. IE we can get x to run on Y, but it may be slow as hell AND take significant rework to even get there.

It isn;t always as simple as oh.. just do it and you are GTG. Sometimes it literally is..."well we could get it to run there, but ...we literally do not see the needed ROI to do this". If it is an ROI factor..than expect the third party to come with larger install base... if it isn't... it is never going to come outside of indies and low spec games.

Switch is below standard xbo and ps4 spec..and those console chug on modern AAA so I am guessing it is performance, but who knows. My point is...we shouldn;t be clamoring for these games to come because if they do...they will be the worst version of them.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I mean neither this or Rayman were at E3 or mentioned in any capacity. Ubi is totally going to try and charge $60 for this and it'll run terribly.

Well, I assume it's nothing to do with the Snowdrop engine becuase isn't that being used with Mario X Rabbids? (I don't remember the name of the game, looks fun though)

bomblord1

Banned
Sounds like it's online related and not system power.

Wonder if it's related to it being always online and the fact the Switch can be undocked.

Bluth54

Why wouldnt it be?

Probably a combination of the game not setting the world on fire sales wise or critically, the game apparently taking more time and work to port than anticipated, and that Switch game cards cost more than blu rays eating into the profit margin.

conpfreak

Well, I assume it's nothing to do with the Snowdrop engine becuase isn't that being used with Mario X Rabbids? (I don't remember the name of the game, looks fun though)

Yeah, maybe this has something to do with the online functionality because Snowdrop is already being used in a game to be out in 2 months and Steep doesn't even look that good to be having performance issues. Maybe they should phone the Mario + Rabbids team?

Skux

Why wouldnt it be?

- Low install base makes it more expensive to develop relative to potential profit

- Low install base means a poorer multiplayer experience

- Less capable hardware would be at risk of technical issues and downgrades

It comes down to opportunity cost. Every dollar spent on a Switch version would be better spent on making the PS4/XB1/PC version better for a larger potential audience.

I fuckin' love STEEP. The dlc they've added since release has been awesome. Things like a mini story mode with characters ripped straight out of a Blood Dragon game, boss fights, new things to use like sleds and jetpacks, stupid costumes, a whole new location, and more.

bomblord1

Banned
I kind of hope it gets cancelled so the low sales of a game seemingly not many want a port of won't be used as an excuse not to port future games.

mieumieu

Starlink (aka No Man's Skylanders) uses Snowdrop too and it will be on Switch. So Snowdrop should not be the reason.

More likely that porting Steep is just not worth the effort.

nynt9

Rabbids is developed from the ground up for switch. This game was developed for current gen consoles and would need to be downgraded for switch. Just because the engine runs doesn't mean anything using the engine can run. For example, The Division also uses the same engine, but that game is unlikely to run on the switch.

antonz

Steep sold like garbage so honestly surprised that alone didn't kill it on Switch. The online stuff being basically the entire game is another big issues. Ubisoft would be better cutting their losses on it and do something like South park instead

Top Bottom