• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sold 250k, Xbox One 100k in Germany

http://www.next-gamer.de/news/so-oft-wurden-ps4-und-xbox-one-in-deutschland-verkauft/

Die Verkaufszahlen von PS4 und Xbox One für Deutschland waren bisher ein gehütetes Geheimnis. Nun wurden die Zahlen für den deutschen Markt preisgegeben und Sony hat auch hier die Nase vorn. Seit Verkaufsstart der PS4 am 29. November bis Ende Dezember 2013 wurden in Deutschland 250.000 PS4-Konsolen verkauft. Die Xbox One erschien hierzulande am 22. November und wurde bisher 100.000 Mal verkauft. Die Zahlen stammen vom Marktforschungsunternehmen Media Control GfK.

Translation:
Sales of PS4 and Xbox One for Germany were previously a guarded secret. Now the figures for the German market were abandoned and Sony also has the edge. Since launch of the PS4 on 29 November PS4 250,000 consoles were sold in Germany by the end of December 2013. The Xbox One appeared in this country on 22 November and has sold 100,000 copies. The figures are derived from the market research company Media Control GfK.

McDougles

Not surprising, seeing just how prized privacy is in Germany. That Kinect is going to hurt the Xbox One in that country.

pswii60

What was the 360/PS3 ratio split?
Is there any part of Europe where the Xbox One did better?
The way things are looking at the moment, it seems there isn't any part of anywhere that Xbox One has done better. It's all good though, because it heats up competition and it'll be interesting to see how Microsoft reacts. Will it be short-term moneyhats, long-term creative investment or both?

Hanmik

That island country to the west. :p

Yeah I remember that dance they made..

okrdc8t.gif

I know MS launched in less countries, but even the PS4 didn't launch Europe-wide, officially, right? Were there any countries that only MS launched in?

YeSp

Neo Member
Many people from the Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark etc are buying/ordering their Xbox one consoles in Germany because its not available there (Tier 2).

I thought the PS4 number would be higher, Germany's pretty big

Edit: although 250,000 is probably how much Sony shipped in total to the country.

Thorgal

I know MS launched in less countries, but even the PS4 didn't launch Europe-wide, officially, right? Were there any countries that only MS launched in?

None as far as i am aware .

Xbox one launched a week ahead here in the EU .and PS4 steamrolled right over them .

eXite

I've preordered my Playstation 4 via Amazon Germany in Summer and got it on Day one, but I have not seen one single box/ console on the shelves ( in cologne ). No matter where you go just empty shelves. But Xbox One is everywhere available! Bundled versions or even Day One Editions are still available.

Salesmen laugh at you when you ask about a PS4. It's ridiculous. The moment they get one batch, it's completely gone BEFORE NOON !

Microsoft has really problems selling this console here. First the bad press about DRM and so on, but what's really hurting is the NSA scandal. People start to have objections against US Products, especially Microsoft.

I've recently heard how an old couple explicitly asked for a non-US Smartphone. The salesman had to show them all Japanese, Korean and Chinese!! Products. I don't care much about it ( for now ). But this is the general mindset right now in Germany.

Last time i hopped over the border they had tons of XB1 and not a single PS4. This could be much worse for MS if ps4 was available.

Taker34

Banned
The gap would be much bigger if there would be any PS4 systems in stores. I think today is the first time since launch that a couple of PS4s were available at Germany's biggest electronic retailer.
I mean besides an Ouya sytem for 9,99€ and a ton of Xbone's I didn't see a single PS4 before Christmas in several malls.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
250k is a ridiculous number. That's why people paid over 800 EUR on launch for the PS4.

I get the Germany is all about the PlayStation so the pressure isn't so high to supply that market but you still need to serve them more than 250k.

Celine

Some figures from Media Control to give an idea about the german market:

Germany LTD hardware sales (in million):
NDS 7,5
PS2 5,9
Wii 4,6
PS3 3,9
360 2,4
PSP 2,0
3DS 1,6
PSV 0,2
WiiU 0,16
Total 28

Germany Q1-Q3 2013 hardware sales :
3DS 347k (343k)
PS3 280k (424k)
360 165k (220k)
Wii 85k (192k)
WiiU 75k
PSP 48k
PSV 48k

What was the 360/PS3 ratio split?

The way things are looking at the moment, it seems there isn't any part of anywhere that Xbox One has done better. It's all good though, because it heats up competition and it'll be interesting to see how Microsoft reacts. Will it be short-term moneyhats, long-term creative investment or both?

Money hats are expensive as hell for MS right now because they're getting beaten badly in software numbers.

Loudninja

NA:
PS4 1.14 million
Xbox One:909,132

UK:
PS4 530,000
Xbox One: 364,000

Spain:
PS4:134,000
Xbox One:28k

France:
PS4:100k *first 2 weeks
Xbox One 50k* first 3 weeks*

AU:
Xbox One:65,917

Germany:
PS4 250K
Xbox One 100K

oti

Banned
I've preordered my Playstation 4 via Amazon Germany in Summer and got it on Day one, but I have not seen one single box/ console on the shelves ( in cologne ). No matter where you go just empty shelves. But Xbox One is everywhere available! Bundled versions or even Day One Editions are still available.

Salesmen laugh at you when you ask about a PS4. It's ridiculous. The moment they get one batch, it's completely gone BEFORE NOON !

Hamburg's the same. The situation gets sad/awkward the moment the salesperson tries to sell you an Xbox One. "But we have the Xbox One that you can buy and take with you right now!"

Hm, yeah, Nein.

Microsoft has really problems selling this console here. First the bad press about DRM and so on, but what's really hurting is the NSA scandal. People start to have objections against US Products, especially Microsoft.

I've recently heard how an old couple explicitly asked for a non-US Smartphone. The salesman had to show them all Japanese, Korean and Chinese!! Products. I don't care much about it ( for now ). But this is the general mindset right now in Germany.

Same here was looking for a PS4 for my brother and haven't found a single one on shelves. Got one in Hürth of all places but only because I went there right at opening...

Xbone is available eveywhere, the hype for the PS4 is nuts.

Dahaka

Sony did not ship a lot. The Killzone Bundle for instance shipped shortly after Mid December whereas France, UK and maybe some others got theirs at November 29th. This caused a few days of rage on Sony DE's Facebook page with angry gamers wanting clarity on the release date as it wasn't even know at the beginning of the month. UK even got a "second" shipment of KZ Bundles by then.

Generally Germany was heavily undersupplied which led to horrendous prices and "pillaging" of Mediamarkt.
The biggest MediaMarkt in Germany is near my place and no single console has been seen there till this date (everything went to preorders) while XB1's are still available on a palette. Accessoires couldn't be found either until shortly before Christmas when a huge influx of DS4s and Charging Stations came in. Crazy.

gtj1092

With these numbers can we get a better sense of overall xone numbers to estimate NPD numbers.

Why do certain fans always go with I thought the sales difference would be greater when we know this is launch and one console is sold out and the other is readily available.

ymmv

Banned
Amazon Germany's videogames bestseller list is interesting. The PS4 controller is at number 4, the PS4 console at number 8 (always sold out). The Xbox One controller is at 66, the Xbox One at 67 (always in stock). There are no Xbone games in the top 100. Once Sony is able to fill demand for the PS4 in Europe, the Xbox One will be crushed because there is no demand at all currently.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
These are Chartzzzz number.

You have to be logged in to see it though. I hope statista updates their sources.

Wii U LTD is probably 200.000 in Germany.

Oh, here you are.

Do we have how much Wii U sold from launch to the end of 2012?

P.S. See my post in the thread about UK 2013 numbers ;)

Top Bottom